May 2013 Due Dates

Options

Replies

• mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Random question: Does anyone have a lot of fluctuation in baby's movements? I don't remember from last time, and I think I was so in denial that I didn't worry about anything (how nice was that?).

This weekend was fairly quiet. There was enough movement for me not to be worried, but it was somewhat diminished from the days prior. Then today it's like crazy movement, all day long! I wonder if it's really where s/he is positioned that makes the difference.

Not that I'm ever not happy to feel movement, but today it feels nice to have it happening often when s/he was quiet over the weekend.

Does anyone else have that happen?

I've been noticing that this time around, too. I think it mostly coincides with how busy or relaxed I am, though. When I'm really busy, either 1) the baby gets lulled to sleep or 2) I simply don't notice her movements because I'm so busy. I can definitely relate to being happy to feel the regular movement, though! (Although sometimes it just plain HURTS, depending on where she is/kicks!)
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Random question: Does anyone have a lot of fluctuation in baby's movements? I don't remember from last time, and I think I was so in denial that I didn't worry about anything (how nice was that?).

This weekend was fairly quiet. There was enough movement for me not to be worried, but it was somewhat diminished from the days prior. Then today it's like crazy movement, all day long! I wonder if it's really where s/he is positioned that makes the difference.

Not that I'm ever not happy to feel movement, but today it feels nice to have it happening often when s/he was quiet over the weekend.

Does anyone else have that happen?

I have the same thing...they have days where they are both going crazy and other days I barely feel anything...Its particularly hard to know who is even kicking...most times it seems like Baby B is our more active one because most times they are each on one side and I feel it more on the one side. I like days when they are kicking a lot....otherwise I get a little nervous....especially because I way overdid it this weekend and they haven't moved as much since Saturday but I figure if I feel them move a good amount I shouldn't worry too much...I never had major kicks with my son so with him I knew not to expect much movement...but with them I am so used to the intense kicks and rolls that I miss them when they aren't happening :cry: . This is why I wish I had a heart rate monitor to use on my belly, it adds reassurance on the days they arent moving so much!
  • mrs_dwr
    Options
    So tomorrow morning I have one last ultrasound to measure the baby's growth/progress. Yay for getting to see her one more time before she's born! Also, I didn't pass the 1-hr glucose test a few weeks ago (no surprise, as I've never passed it). Because it would have been impossible to find someone to watch my kids for 5 hours (including the almost-hr drive each way) while I went for the 3-hr test, my OB has had me check my blood sugar levels 4x/day for 2 weeks. I'm positive I don't have gest diabetes based off my stellar post-meal numbers, but my fasting numbers have all been very high. So I'm not sure what he'll have me do....but I find out at this appointment tomorrow also. Hoping for a good visit!

Also, my in-laws are coming into town tomorrow morning before the appt, so they'll watch the kids! Yay! And they'll be here all weekend to be with the kids so my hubby and I can 'get away' on our own. We won't be doing anything super-exciting but we're going to go out for breakfast one morning and hit some stores for clothes and furniture KID-FREE. So it's exciting for us, lol!
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The REALITY OF IT ALL post:

I'm coming up on 31 weeks and he is kicking up a storm. At least once a day in the afternoon he seems to get the hiccups, which I can feel very, very low. At the same time as a hiccup he will sometimes kick me in the right rib area. It is so intriguing what patterns babies tend towards. Although it is still early, I am feeling more assured that he is in a great position for a natural birth and hope that he stays comfortably there for another 9 weeks or so.

With his kicking and the due date edging on, I am starting to feel like this is so much more real. Maybe that is weird to say, because obviously he has been here all along, but I can feel a faint personality emerging with the kicks. I am getting more and more eager to discover & interact with that personality! And at this point he has a 98% survival rate if born prematurely. I now sometimes feel this wave of affection for him wash over me, as if I had been holding back earlier because I was afraid to get too attached to something that might not be. As if I dared not say or think his name for fear of never being able to use it. What an amazing life experience this is! (Although, seriously, i could have done without the nausea.)

On another note: a band just underneath my ribs feels very numb, maybe from his constant kicking? Anyone else feel that? I'm also a little curious about the smallish size of my bump -I've made quite a few friends of many sizes due around the same time, and I definitely have the smallest bump (confirmed by hubby). My bump also seems to be vertical and firm, instead of protruding extensively out in front and sort of squishy. Well, I haven't actually felt other women's bumps, but they LOOK squishier. When they sit down the bump sort of bulges out and down, whereas I feel like mine doesn't change position. While I am wearing maternity clothes, I can easily fit into the regular size M long sweaters I bought in the 4th month to hide the mini-bulge. My midwives always comment on the firmness of my abs (from swimming, I guess) -- could that be a contributing factor? Anyone else have this? Ha ha, I am sure I am overanalyzing this, but that's how I am!

Thanks, Mormonmamma, for the smoothie recipe! I have been getting a tad more sleep and more dietary iron, and feeling oh so much better for it!
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    The REALITY OF IT ALL post:

I'm coming up on 31 weeks and he is kicking up a storm. At least once a day in the afternoon he seems to get the hiccups, which I can feel very, very low. At the same time as a hiccup he will sometimes kick me in the right rib area. It is so intriguing what patterns babies tend towards. Although it is still early, I am feeling more assured that he is in a great position for a natural birth and hope that he stays comfortably there for another 9 weeks or so.

With his kicking and the due date edging on, I am starting to feel like this is so much more real. Maybe that is weird to say, because obviously he has been here all along, but I can feel a faint personality emerging with the kicks. I am getting more and more eager to discover & interact with that personality! And at this point he has a 98% survival rate if born prematurely. I now sometimes feel this wave of affection for him wash over me, as if I had been holding back earlier because I was afraid to get too attached to something that might not be. As if I dared not say or think his name for fear of never being able to use it. What an amazing life experience this is! (Although, seriously, i could have done without the nausea.)

On another note: a band just underneath my ribs feels very numb, maybe from his constant kicking? Anyone else feel that? I'm also a little curious about the smallish size of my bump -I've made quite a few friends of many sizes due around the same time, and I definitely have the smallest bump (confirmed by hubby). My bump also seems to be vertical and firm, instead of protruding extensively out in front and sort of squishy. Well, I haven't actually felt other women's bumps, but they LOOK squishier. When they sit down the bump sort of bulges out and down, whereas I feel like mine doesn't change position. While I am wearing maternity clothes, I can easily fit into the regular size M long sweaters I bought in the 4th month to hide the mini-bulge. My midwives always comment on the firmness of my abs (from swimming, I guess) -- could that be a contributing factor? Anyone else have this? Ha ha, I am sure I am overanalyzing this, but that's how I am!

Thanks, Mormonmamma, for the smoothie recipe! I have been getting a tad more sleep and more dietary iron, and feeling oh so much better for it!

It's understandable that you are now starting to feel more attached to him. I feel that way as I get further along too, even though the girls are my 2nd pregnancy, its just reassuring knowing the survival rate is higher now. And with you having a little baby bump, I am sure it has to do with your abs but also some babies just stay inside. Even when I was pregnant with my son he was way inside....people didn't even know I was pregnant even right before he came....I couldn't hide it now if I tried! Even though yah there are 2, both girls are just out a lot more than their brother ever was. It all just depends on the baby. At least the pro is my son is very laid back and cuddly so because he is so inside he may be a cuddler too :smile:
  • mrs_dwr
    Options
    I completely understand about feeling like you're getting to know their little personaities as the pregnancy progresses! I love that they're all so different in that respect.:heart:

I had my ultrasound today; baby girl is in the 70-something percentile at 4lbs6oz. We got to see her gumming her mouth a bit and open/close her eyes on the ultrasound, which was sooooo cool! My dr said the sonographer noted that her lungs looked 'bright' but he has no idea what that means. Apparently they usually just look dark/dull on the monitor, but somehow they looked 'bright.' So tomorrow I have an appt with a perinatologist for another ultrasound/evaluation. My dr thinks it's fine, though, so I'm taking my cue from him. Thankfully my in-laws are here and can babysit during the appt, and my hubby and I can go out for brunch afterward too (the appt is first thing in the morning). Also, my dr was totally cool with my blood sugar numbers so I don't need to worry about those anymore - whew!:drinker:
  • mrs_dwr
    Options
    In case anyone was wondering, the report on baby's lungs was great! The dr said that the lungs looked great and if I'd walked in to just have a routine u/s, the lungs would not have stood out to her for any reason. So thankful!
  • mormonmomma11
    mormonmomma11 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    In case anyone was wondering, the report on baby's lungs was great! The dr said that the lungs looked great and if I'd walked in to just have a routine u/s, the lungs would not have stood out to her for any reason. So thankful!

Thats great news Jess! Congrats!!
  • mormonmomma11
    Options
    How is everyone dealing with the nesting? I've still got about 2 months left and it's already kicking in BIG TIME.

This weekend I got all of the 0-3 month clothes hung in the closet. Then I went through the bedrooms and gathered 2 black trashbags of clothes (mine and the boys') and two big boxes of books/toys/random stuff that need donated or tossed. I'm buying a new wardrobe today or tomorrow so that we can finish clearing all of my husband's and my stuff out of out the closet in the boy's room and I'm going crazy writing lists of all the things we need to do before the baby gets here (finish the kitchen floorboards, get a double stroller, get a twin bed in the boys room, buy new parts for my pump, organize/declutter the stuff in the storage unit, etc...).

These are the days I so wish I was a stay at home mom so that I could cuddle my darling boy and attack my to-do list when he naps (because right now the options are either cuddle him when I get home or do the chores - once he's asleep I have to wait til dear hubby is home before I can do the store runs, the storage unit, etc... but I'm usually ready for bed by the time he gets home (8 or 9) and I can't do the stuff in his room once he's in bed. I always get my hopes up about weekends - but with finals a few weeks away dear hubby has been at the school all day on the weekends too.

I may end up going out on maternity leave a week or two early just so I can finish my list and know that everything is ready when I get home from the hospital with my little boy. Obviously, I need to just take a deep breath and let it all go, but I'm kind of a control freak and I hate having things left unfinished. Any one else in the same boat?
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat.....I cannot believe it is almost mid-March already...I feel like February just ended! I have so much to do still! I bought some things to start decorating the girls room over the weekend but we still need to get our second crib from my hubbys boss and set it up and we need to move my son into a toddler bed so we can have both cribs for the girls......I still need to get the dresser I want for their room so I can start washing the clothes....I am off this weekend which is great....but I work the following weekend and I will be 32 weeks!! I have everything I need so if by chance I can't get their room ready until after than I am not too stressed, but of course I would rather have it ready beforehand.....just not enough time and this weekend I was out all day both days so I didn't get much accomplished besides some shopping....but it seems like my house cannot stay clean enough and I can't even bend over to pick things up because then my lower belly hurts so I have to sit on the floor and scootch around throwing things on the couch and in the chair so I can get up and put my divided piles away...its exhausting and I have been more on edge with the hubby lately....I feel bad but I am getting so uncomfortable and feel like I need to start giving in and giving up doing everything...this never happened with my son...but I know this twin thing is a different ball game.....I have been feeling so exhausted and crummy lately and I don't like it at all....I go to the doctor on Thursday and I am worried that I will be told I need to be on bedrest...not because I am having any issues, but because I am still working full-time....I am hoping to make it another month before I have to stop because I don't want my hubby to be extremely stressed...so I feel a little stressed with things now as I get further along...I just want everything done and I want it my way, but I may not be able to do it all...
    How is everyone else doing? :smile:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I am totally there with you ladies! We have done a lot of cleaning out of the bedroom we are moving our son to, and his furniture is being delivered this Saturday! We still have stuff to do... the problem is that we both work full-time, and then we come home, give our son dinner and a bath, then it's bedtime. We can't very well be moving stuff around (which makes noise) while he's asleep. Then on the weekends we have to, you know, supervise him, so it's still hard to do stuff! Plus I am not much help anymore. I am slow-moving and obviously can't lift much.

What amazes me is just how much there is to do to get his room ready for him to actually sleep in! Maybe it'll give him time to play in and get used to the room/furniture before we tell him he has to sleep in there. I realized that besides having the furniture delivered, we need to go pick up his new mattress at the mattress store, then we need to put up blackout shades and curtains, we need to buy his bedding, which will of course need to be washed, we need to buy a plastic mattress cover, we need to get him a bookshelf, we need to buy a lampshade for his lamp, we need to buy and install a ceiling fan, we need to buy bed rails, he needs a step stool, and we need to buy a gate for the door (he can open doors, so if he opens his bedroom door he can't just wander out into the hallway). We also need to mount the video monitor camera, but that shouldn't take that long! The problem is that cash suddenly got really tight, so I can't just go on a spending spree. I would love to place one huge order with Amazon and be done with it.

As for the new baby, his/her room will be all fine and good once our son moves to his new room, and over the past couple of weeks I've gotten clothes organized by size and gender (or lack thereof). I just need to pick up a smallish box of newborn diapers and fill the dresser with NB and 0-3 month gender neutral clothes. Strangely, the new baby part is the easiest for me!

Overall, though, I'm really worried about handling a newborn and a toddler simultaneously. I mean, my son will continue to go to preschool, but there will be a two-week window from the end of July-middle of August when his school is closed, so I will have two kids on hand during that time. The baby will be around 2 months old by then, so maybe I'll have things more under control than I think. However, I worry about weekends, especially if my husband has to go into the office, which happens from time to time, and I worry about how the new baby will affect my son. I have no idea how he is going to react. I talked to another mom whose daughter is in his preschool class and is about 2 weeks younger than him, and the mom is due about 2 weeks before I am. Her daughter is apparently thrilled about the prospect of a new baby, whereas my son doesn't seem to "get it" or care very much. That's fine if that's his reaction, but since I'm not sure if he's understanding it or not, I don't want him to be suddenly surprised when there's a new baby.

Does anyone have any suggestions on that front?
  • mormonmomma11
    Options
    The day I've been dreading at work just happened. I finished eating my lunch about an hour ago, and without warning, at my desk... I just threw it up. Luckily I had my giant water cup (that was empty) but GROSS! My coworkers (what sweethearts) - all pretended not to notice. Thank goodness. I went to throw my cup away - because no way can I drink out of it again now and threw up again on the way to the kitchen. I'm so ready for today to be over. 6-10 weeks left. I pray I can make it that long - I'm really hoping little man makes his appearance closer to 36 weeks than 40.
  • mormonmomma11
    Options
    Overall, though, I'm really worried about handling a newborn and a toddler simultaneously. I mean, my son will continue to go to preschool, but there will be a two-week window from the end of July-middle of August when his school is closed, so I will have two kids on hand during that time. The baby will be around 2 months old by then, so maybe I'll have things more under control than I think. However, I worry about weekends, especially if my husband has to go into the office, which happens from time to time, and I worry about how the new baby will affect my son. I have no idea how he is going to react. I talked to another mom whose daughter is in his preschool class and is about 2 weeks younger than him, and the mom is due about 2 weeks before I am. Her daughter is apparently thrilled about the prospect of a new baby, whereas my son doesn't seem to "get it" or care very much. That's fine if that's his reaction, but since I'm not sure if he's understanding it or not, I don't want him to be suddenly surprised when there's a new baby.

I'm all ears for suggestions on this part too! My mom is so patient with my little guy and every day she helps him pretend to feed, burp, rock, and change his teddy bears. I think he gets what a baby is - but he doesn't quite get that there will be one in our house soon.
  • TaraFTMVA
    Options
    My little man doesn't quite get it either being only 22 months....but I keep reading him New Baby and Big Brother books and pointing to the babies....he also has noticed my belly being bigger and when I rub it he will too...sometimes he will hit it and I just tell him "don't smack your sisters!"....I keep mentioning his sisters so maybe he will make the connection when they are here. I think it just depends on age and sex.....I have noticed girls get more amped up about becoming big sisters than boys do about becoming big brothers. Hopefully they will adjust easy :smile:

Also, RBX- I am concerned about a toddler and the girls at the same time! I am fortunate my grandma will be staying with me the first 2 weeks and then my mom will take off a few days and then hubby will take a week or so off...so that should carry me until the end of the first month which I know will be a huge help, but I will have a 3 week overlap between noone being off and my hubbys Mom being off for the summer (she is a bus driver) so I will be riding solo for that time which I know will be an adjustment =/. At least we can support each other when needed after they get here! :flowerforyou:
  • RBXChas
    Options

I'm all ears for suggestions on this part too! My mom is so patient with my little guy and every day she helps him pretend to feed, burp, rock, and change his teddy bears. I think he gets what a baby is - but he doesn't quite get that there will be one in our house soon.

Yeah, my son definitely knows what a baby is and that they have to be held, etc., and at school they do stuff with baby dolls, and he rocks his stuffed animals and whatnot, but I don't think he gets that we will be having one in the house soon. For all I know, I'm overthinking it, and he'll grow right into being a big brother, I don't know... I signed up with the Blue Cross/Blue Shield pregnancy "club" thing, which is nice because it provides an OB nurse on-call 24/7 (which is confidential so I don't have to worry about anything messing up coverage), and they sent me a free book. I had a choice of a few, but I chose a book called "From One to Two," about, you guessed it, going from one child to two. It seems really focused on having a child who is 3-4 or older before you have #2, and so it pretty much keeps suggesting that you sit down and talk about it a lot. Well, lady, try sitting down and having a conversation with a 26-month-old. Forget that - try sitting down with a 26-month-old and not having him squirm away to do something more interesting!

There are three moms (myself included) that I am aware of who are expecting and have kids in my son's class, out of 10 moms total, and I wish it were more so that they might do a little focus on that! However I understand that they have a curriculum (really, they actually have a curriculum) they need to stick to, so teaching them about letters, numbers, colors, etc., takes precedence :wink:

Tara - I plan to be on MFP posting at random times during the night. Hopefully someone will be awake!!!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Just wanted to bump this up :) Nothing new here!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Oh, except our furniture delivery this past Saturday was a total bust. I am so angry about it!

We ordered a kitchen table/chairs (because our current set, which was used and cheap off of Craigslist is literally falling apart - two chairs have broken when someone has sat on them) and a twin bed with trundle, nightstand, and dresser for our son's new room.

The day before delivery we got a phone message saying the table is on backorder and won't be available for at least another month. (Couldn't someone have told us that earlier?)

On Saturday morning the delivery guy shows up and he says, "You're not going to be happy, but we took the headboard out of the box while on the truck, and it's broken." I said that I didn't want to accept the bed at all but ended up accepting the non-broken pieces just in case we get a replacement that has, say, a broken footboard. The trundle came with no hardware, so it was pointless. The dresser was not only broken but had the wrong hardware to attach the feet. Surprisingly the nightstand was fine. So we have a nightstand, bed rails, and a footboard.

The delivery guy told us that he knows sometimes things happen, but this is the worst furniture delivery he's ever seen! He felt so awful, but we were nice about it because it's certainly not his fault. We told him we'd call customer service on Monday (meaning yesterday) to see what we need to do to fix it.

About an hour later, customer service calls to check on the delivery, and I told the lady, "You don't even want to know." She says that the next weekend delivery (because we can't do a weekday) is not for another three weeks.

Um, I don't know about you, but I am really anxious to get my son used to his new room and bed so that I'm not dealing with a newborn who won't sleep and a toddler who is giving me trouble in the middle of the night!

I told them they either need to get it out to me this Saturday (which they are trying to do - I'm waiting to hear back at the moment), or they need to give me another bed or something in the meantime. I'm not usually a demanding customer, but this is ridiculous! They even asked me if I had a neighbor who could sit in my house during their four-hour delivery window to accept the furniture on a weekday, and I told them absolutely not. Even if I did, with this debacle I don't want someone potentially accepting broken/damaged furniture.

So we'll see what happens there. We ordered this furniture in February so that by mid-May he'd be well used to sleeping in a bed in his new room, and now they're giving us maybe a month to make that transition.

ETA: Sorry for the rant, but this is really stressing me out right now!
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Just got a call from customer service, and I'm on schedule for new furniture to be delivered on Saturday (at least the bedroom stuff - the kitchen table/chairs thing is a pain but not the end of the world).

Today I feel like the universe conspired against me for lunch. I didn't bring lunch with me because I was in a hurry this morning, and at 12:20 I couldn't take the heartburn anymore (though I could have waited until past 1 for lunch), so I asked my husband if he wanted to go out and get something. He just said he had to be back in the office by 1:15, which left us just under an hour.

Great - we went to Jersey Mike's because I looooove their chicken salad. We get there at 12:30 and wait in line for 15 minutes only to find out that they *just* ran out of chicken salad. My husband cancelled his sandwich (they hadn't started making it yet), and they say, "What's the problem?" I said that I'm pregnant and there's nothing else I can eat or want to (I'm not a fan of chicken parm or their meatball subs, and having lived in Philly for four years I'm picky about my cheesesteaks). The guy said they could heat up a sub, but in my mind that ruins lunch meat, so I said it's ok, thanks but no thanks.

We drove to another strip mall in hopes that they had something else, but there was another sub place (no chicken salad option there - I've tried) and a wings place (meh). So we drove all the way back towards our office to go to Sonic. We get there at 1:03, and I push the button. Three minutes pass before our order is taken, and my husband gets a burger while I get a grilled chicken sandwich. At 1:17 my husband is like, "I have to get to court - just leave," because the payment thingie was broken, so we hadn't paid yet. Two seconds later the food arrives, and we just book it back to the office so he can go to court. Poor guy inhaled his burger, and I'm just now settling down to eat my sub and still suffering from heartburn.

Serves me right for not calling ahead for my food - or for bringing my own lunch! I know what I'll be doing tonight - and that's packing lunch for tomorrow! :wink:
  • LadyJocc
    LadyJocc Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies!

I've just read through the pages to bring myself up to speed - sounds like everyone is doing pretty well!

RBX - Sorry to hear about your furniture & food debacles - that is not something I'd want to deal with right now, so I feel for you. Let us know how the new delivery goes!

Momma - Yes to nesting! I decided we needed to go to IKEA last weekend (which in hindsight was a pretty stupid idea since we didn't actually need anything) so that I could get small things like new throw pillows, wall shelves, etc... apparently since the nursery is done, I'm just going to redecorate the whole place. :laugh:

To all the ladies with Toddlers and expecting - you are my heroes! I'm feeling anxious enough with just our little guy on the way, and you have a whole second variable to throw in there. I tip my hat to you for keeping it together!

Jess - that's great to hear on the lung test!

Hope everyone else is well! Things have been pretty normal for me. I'm 30 weeks today and still sleeping well (knock on wood) but the pelvic/round ligament pain has set back-in this past week and is making it more difficult to get up an down. I think it's about time for me to back off the exercise and focus on walking. Other than that, I passed my GD screening at 78, so that was a relief, and we start our series of birthing classes next Saturday.

Any other 1st time moms doing birthing classes right now? How are they going?
  • mormonmomma11
    Options
    RBX - oh the furniture delivery sounds like a nightmare! I'm not sure how you kept your cool. Hopefully everything looks right on Saturday and you can get your little guy all set up in his new room.

My little guy just got over being sick (again) and bit through what I thought was his last binky. I was both concerned about bed time and excited to be DONE with his binkies (I don't want big brother stealing little brothers bink all the time). But, alas he had a secret stash of two newborn binkies that I didn't know about. [what toddler stashes stuff under his bed and *remembers* it later?? I can't even remember where I put stuff half the time.] So I'm thinking this weekend or next - depending on my own patience level - they will both disappear. Any advice from mommies with big kids on how to make the transition? I'm not afraid to let him cry it out - but I'd love any advice :) I've heard about the binky fairy or taking them to "donate" the binky to the hospital ... but he's only 22 months. I don't think he'd grasp the concept.

On the pregnancy front - I'm back to measuring "on track" (had been measuring at 30.5 weeks for the last 2 months and now at 31 weeks I measured at 32 weeks). Hallelujah for not having a monster baby. My heartburn has been out of control lately so I'm trying Nexium for now to see how that manages it. My doctor thinks the heartburn is whats causing my third trimester nausea, so fingers crossed that this fixes both issues.

I'm getting persistant braxton hicks when I exert myself so it's really hard to be motivated to go for walks or any exercise lately. I really need to get back to some sort of physical activity though or I'm going to go crazy! Hope you are all doing well!!