I confess- Single Peeps version

Options

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Anyone else as excited as I am that the first active athlete (NBA) came out as gay? Such a great thing for sports!

WHO? This does excite me.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    ^^ Probably because in professional sports there is still a HUGE stigma?

That is exactly why.

It is a big deal because now more athletes should feel more open in coming out., rather than hiding who they are.

Is there alot of evidence showing that there are alot of athletes "in hiding?" This guy coming out is proof that anyone thats in a "manly" sportwho "comes out" gets a parade thrown for them.

There is quite a negative stigma against traditional "he-men" in professional sports. It has been noted for some time that it's one of the only professions, especially one in the spotlight, that homosexuals are NOT welcome. In fact, just before this past superbowl, a 49ers player openly said in an interview that gays would not be tolerated in the locker room.

So yeah, it's a bit of a big deal. I believe we are at a time and place where almost anywhere else someone can come out and it's pretty much no big deal, but in sports it is. And this is progress.

Roadie, how do you mean it's not good news for sports?
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    Anyone else as excited as I am that the first active athlete (NBA) came out as gay? Such a great thing for sports!

WHO? This does excite me.

Jason Collins. He is 34 and his career is probably almost over due to age, etc.. If this news has any effect on his career at all, it is as likely to lengthen it as it is to shorten it.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    ^^ Probably because in professional sports there is still a HUGE stigma?

That is exactly why.

It is a big deal because now more athletes should feel more open in coming out., rather than hiding who they are.

Is there alot of evidence showing that there are alot of athletes "in hiding?" This guy coming out is proof that anyone thats in a "manly" sportwho "comes out" gets a parade thrown for them.

I believe Deadspin or some other site like it occasionally features a column from a MLB player who is closeted. Or at least it was a few years ago.

Look, there have to be gay people in sports. Duh! So yes there are probably many athletes who are closeted.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    On one hand I am glad he feels comfortable coming out of the closet. But, on the other hand, I don't care. So he's gay? In any other job it's illegal to ask an applicant what their sexual orientation is. Why should this be any different? It's personal information that he can deal with on his own. If it doesn't correlate to his job and isn't affecting his performance, then it's nobody's business.
  • RunIntheMud
    Options
    I confess I'm posting this just so I can go start my new post. :)
  • christine24t
    Options
    On one hand I am glad he feels comfortable coming out of the closet. But, on the other hand, I don't care. So he's gay? In any other job it's illegal to ask an applicant what their sexual orientation is. Why should this be any different? It's personal information that he can deal with on his own. If it doesn't correlate to his job and isn't affecting his performance, then it's nobody's business.

I agree, but I think that it is important that stigmas be broken and show that yes, gay men can be athletes too.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

I absolutely agree with you, it should be a nonissue more than it is an issue - but it's still an issue in sports. Many homosexuals feel like they are unwelcome in sports environments because there is still so much prejudice and stereotyping. Ultimately yes I hope it gets to the point like hollywood where someone comes out as gay and people roll their eyes and move on with their lives (or like in the case of Matt Dallas they announce their engagement to another of the same gender and it's the same as any other engagement announcement ever). But the fact is, in sports, that doesn't exist yet. So yeah, it's a big deal that someone is finally saying "I am gay, and I am in professional sports, and this is fine." It is illegal to ask about sexual orientation on job applications, but sports figures are in the public, and if Kobe can go gallivanting about with a woman in his free time and no one would question it, but the same is not true for a man then yeah, there is a barrier to be overcome.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

I agree, but I think that it is important that stigmas be broken and show that yes, gay men can be athletes too.

Much more articulate than me. Yes this.
  • christine24t
    Options

I absolutely agree with you, it should be a nonissue more than it is an issue - but it's still an issue in sports. Many homosexuals feel like they are unwelcome in sports environments because there is still so much prejudice and stereotyping. Ultimately yes I hope it gets to the point like hollywood where someone comes out as gay and people roll their eyes and move on with their lives (or like in the case of Matt Dallas they announce their engagement to another of the same gender and it's the same as any other engagement announcement ever). But the fact is, in sports, that doesn't exist yet. So yeah, it's a big deal that someone is finally saying "I am gay, and I am in professional sports, and this is fine." It is illegal to ask about sexual orientation on job applications, but sports figures are in the public, and if Kobe can go gallivanting about with a woman in his free time and no one would question it, but the same is not true for a man then yeah, there is a barrier to be overcome.

Yes, this.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I didn't say it would be bad, I just said I don't necessarily think it will be good. A lot of athletes don't want to share a locker room with a gay person. I just think it could cause a lot of problems and most of them would be better off not knowing. I don't really see a way it will help sports, it doesn't really add anything to the game.

It's not like when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier, gay people are already in sports and they've done fine. It's like Run said, it's really nobody's business but their own. If one of my teammates would have told that to me I'd probably say good luck with that, but I don't know why you feel you need to tell me. A lot of people would still react negatively, I'm not syaing you need to hide it, but you also don't need to announce it to the world.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I confess I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off since I got to work today. I also confess taht as of yesterday I have a date for Friday night to play pool , may have a date for saturday for dinner and movies and have a coffee date on sunday....

also taking the kids to see iron man 3 on sunday night
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Runinthemud, I deleted your goof... I think. I have no idea what I'm doing so if it didn't work, I tried.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Runinthemud, I deleted your goof... I think. I have no idea what I'm doing so if it didn't work, I tried.

This made me laugh so much.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Is it okay to not be gay? Why are we still praising every Tom, **** and Harry for being gay in the 21st century?

hetero = special snowflake nowadays. something I try to not admit unless confronted directly at a party.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I didn't say it would be bad, I just said I don't necessarily think it will be good... I don't really see a way it will help sports, it doesn't really add anything to the game.

I agree. I think it's a huge win for the gay communities, but being gay doesnt give you an athletic advantage.

The football doesnt know or care what you do with your genitals. The basketball doesn't care if you are married to a man or woman. Sports can spotlight ANYONE's natural abilities. The homosexual communities can be excited that they can be openly gay AND have their skills spotlighted - but the field and the equipment are going to work the same way.

Sports don't care. People care.
  • RunIntheMud
    Options

Thanks Ponch! :drinker:

Glad I could make you laugh Kits....it's been a long week already. :ohwell:
  • RunIntheMud
    Options
    I didn't say it would be bad, I just said I don't necessarily think it will be good... I don't really see a way it will help sports, it doesn't really add anything to the game.

I agree. I think it's a huge win for the gay communities, but being gay doesnt give you an athletic advantage.

The football doesnt know or care what you do with your genitals. The basketball doesn't care if you are married to a man or woman. Sports can spotlight ANYONE's natural abilities. The homosexual communities can be excited that they can be openly gay AND have their skills spotlighted - but the field and the equipment are going to work the same way.

This as well....
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options

This as well....

This would be a much more valid point if we weren't discussing team sports. The equipment may be a constant, but those on the court or field with you are not, and whether this has an impact on teamwork is something yet to be seen. That is my concern with the issue... will the 'team' be able to overcome one individual standing up and saying "I'm different than you thought"?

Deep thoughts from a shallow pool of chocolate sauce.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I confess I have nothing to say but I want to roll a post.