I confess- Single Peeps version

Options

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I have friends at work, and sometimes we talk about our personal lives. I work in an office environment, so if I got on a date with a woman it's not a big deal. I'm not going to be targeted and my personal life probably won't be commented on anymore than usual.

The fact that up until Don't Ask Don't Tell someone couldn't safely discuss life with their unit for fear of someone taking offense and being outed (I know people this has happened to), and the fact that this is so far unprecedented in professional sports is absolutely something to be remarked upon. You're right. This doesn't change the game at all. But it is a big win, especially considering that it's being met mostly with positive media (from what I can see). From now on I hope it becomes a nonissue, but for this big first one let's be happy that society has progressed to the point where sexuality is something that is "normal" even if it's not heteronormative.
  • Argentino
    Argentino Posts: 52
    Options
    ... can I confess that I didn't want to roll it?

Run - that's the test of this, isn't it? If it was really a non-issue, it wouldn't be making news. Who was it earlier this year that said that homosexuals would not be tolerated in the locker rooms? It's not a given... a hope, but not a given.

One of the guys on the 49ers...one guy. That's the thing, there are always going to be people that are closeminded about whatever topic is brought up. The exception is not the rule.

The exception isn't the rule.... so just because one disagrees with another person's lifestyle doesn't mean that they are automatically close minded.
    The NBA has no ban on gay players and no one, as of yet, is attacking his ability to be a part of a team as a gay player. Yet, they may disagree with the lifestyle. People are allowed to disagree and it not be considered hate or closemindedness.

I think it is. Why would you hate someone for their sexuality? Hate someone because they're rude, or not nice, or a murderer or rapist. Not because they live their life different than you

There are many single peeps that choose to date differently than me, and while I might not agree with it, I try to be considerate.

That ESPN anchor that spoke yesterday is incredibly hateful.

Again... disagreeing doesn't mean hate. That ESPN anchor did not say that he hated the man nor did he tell others to hate the man. He simply said that is what he believes to be sin. That's not hate. Racism. That is pure hate. Look at the pictures from the Civil Rights movement then look at what we are calling hate now. A few months ago, the Chick-Fil-A owner was accused of hate- when he never even directly said that being gay was wrong. He simply said that he supports traditional marraige.... I'm sorry but that's not hate.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I confess I have nothing to add at the moment as my lunch break is two minutes from over. I just wanted to bump this to my topics ;)
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I have friends at work, and sometimes we talk about our personal lives. I work in an office environment, so if I got on a date with a woman it's not a big deal. I'm not going to be targeted and my personal life probably won't be commented on anymore than usual.

The fact that up until Don't Ask Don't Tell someone couldn't safely discuss life with their unit for fear of someone taking offense and being outed (I know people this has happened to), and the fact that this is so far unprecedented in professional sports is absolutely something to be remarked upon. You're right. This doesn't change the game at all. But it is a big win, especially considering that it's being met mostly with positive media (from what I can see). From now on I hope it becomes a nonissue, but for this big first one let's be happy that society has progressed to the point where sexuality is something that is "normal" even if it's not heteronormative.

But this is not the big first one... several athletes have come out. NBA, NFL, Tennis, swimming, etc... So, why do we need to make a big deal out of it now?

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-201_162-10016671.html
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options

But this is not the big first one... several athletes have come out. NBA, NFL, Tennis, swimming, etc... So, why do we need to make a big deal out of it now?

Because Americans are tired of seeing shootings on the news and it's time to look for something else. Conspiracy theorists will tell you that this is being used to draw attention away from something going on in DC, or the massive oilspills in the midwest, or anything else they can come up with.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Too bad they didnt just use another wardrobe malfunction. Those are always fun.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Perhaps because it's still a relative rarity for a sportsperson at a significant professional level to be open about this? A few others have done it, but I'd be willing to bet that there are an awful lot more closeted sportspeople out there than those who are 'out'. There is still, one perceives, a significantly homophobic atmosphere in many sports, especially men's team sports - presumably for reasons I won't go into here! - if gay players feel the need to be open about their sexuality in such a public way in order to challenge the status quo, provide a positive role-model to young fans and pave the way for younger athletes who may be struggling with their own sexuality.

I rather think the fuss is quite a good thing - it's unavoidable this way for high-school and college athletes, and their classmates, to see that being gay does not impinge on one's sporting ability or make you a 'wuss', nor does it make you a sexual predator. Judging by the number of homophobia-related hazing offences and youth suicides reported in the US, and given the overwhelming importance of sports to many small towns in the US, where difference is less frequently well-tolerated*, that can only be a good thing.

*NB - this statement is based on my reading of US media. I am not American, but I do read a wide range of your online news, and this seems to be a constant. No offence is intended if my perceptions are inaccurate - I plead distance!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I confess that the alternator went out on my car last night..At this rate I figure I will have replaced almost everything in the egine by now... ugh...It can't be fixed til saturday so I'm bumming rides for the rest of the week
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    until Saturday? It's a 30-minute job max.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    until Saturday? It's a 30-minute job max.

HE has to take the radiator fan out because it the sheild on the alternator catches on it when you try to pull it out.. Plus this guy works for beer and thats wen he can do it....
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Bah, nevermind.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I confess I have a friend who I want as more than a friend and am getting frustrated
  • bregalad5
    Options
    I confess I have a friend who I want as more than a friend and am getting frustrated

story of my life :( I'm sorry
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

Story of my life as well...sorry to hear. Hopefully yours ends good!!
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

I confess y'all should try and make a move. Make your own happy ending - then at least you know whether to move on or not.
  • christine24t
    Options

I confess y'all should try and make a move. Make your own happy ending - then at least you know whether to move on or not.

I don't have anyone right now but it always happens that I end up crushing on a guy friend.
  • bregalad5
    Options

I don't have anyone right now but it always happens that I end up crushing on a guy friend.

Same. Then I try because they were all flirty and talking about getting together, and get either laughed at or completely ditched. Then I wind up being their shoulder to cry on when another girl hurts them (can you tell that last part happened to me today?)
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

Same. Then I try because they were all flirty and talking about getting together, and get either laughed at or completely ditched. Then I wind up being their shoulder to cry on when another girl hurts them (can you tell that last part happened to me today?)

So someone laughed at you and/or ditched you and then you still turned up when they needed a shoulder?!

Oh HELL no. Ninja, if I am interested in more than friendship from a guy I am NOT his friend to be there to comfort him while he dates other ladies. Especially not if I told him how I felt and he LAUGHED/DITCHED me.
  • bregalad5
    Options
    So someone laughed at you and/or ditched you and then you still turned up when they needed a shoulder?!

Oh HELL no. Ninja, if I am interested in more than friendship from a guy I am NOT his friend to be there to comfort him while he dates other ladies. Especially not if I told him how I felt and he LAUGHED/DITCHED me.

Yeah, I'm too nice. I have so few friends that I keep people around even when I shouldn't. I've managed to no longer have feelings for this particular guy, but it's not the first time someone has laughed at/ditched me, and I'm quite sure it won't be the last. I'm gonna go join a convent soon.
  • christine24t
    Options

Yep. Or in my case you crush on a guy for months then he tells you he likes your friend and you have to help him figure out his game with her which involves spending a crap ton of time with him...and then you're the first call he makes after he finally kisses her.