February Chat

Options

Replies

• lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Is that like teaching an old dog new tricks?
    :bigsmile:

Precisly, We learn well, it just takes more repetitions, and more repetitions and ....
    You gotta be persistent. Whick reminds me, I've got a sweater that I was knitting, I wonder if I should rip out the 8 inches and make it smaller? Oh, that would be pure joy!
    Or (to keep on topic) maybe I should just throw out the starting stitches, I've got enough yarn. Maybe I could throw out that old tea towel my mother-in-law started to embroider, too.

Oh no not the mother-in-law tea towel. That could have all kinds of guilt attached to it! Now the sweater yarn? How cool to be able to say you can make the sweater 8" smaller.

Wooken,

I'm with you on throwing "things" out. I have been very slowly de-cluttering and donating to Goodwill. I still have a long way to go. I love the cartoon - slobs? I like to consider myself as a more dignified pack rat.

:laugh:
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Last October I decided to "let go" of the extra weight and find some exercise. Again at first it wasn't easy, but the last three years of letting go of "things" did help. And once again, it has gotten easier with time.

So this old dog has learned a new trick…it's so much easier to enjoy life when you're not carrying all that extra baggage, let it be weight or just stuff. :bigsmile:

You are all just full of elder wisdom. Yes, throw out the weight, throw out the mother-in-law tea towels (never liked her choice of colors, anyway), throw out that old huff and puff with walking the mile.!!!!! 2447 steps this morning!!!
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I recently found a project my mother started 30 years ago and never finished. She gave it to me and I really thought I would finish it, but 17 years later and it's still not done so last week I finally threw it out. I felt bad for a little while, but realized that I didn't know how to do the needlepoint stitching and that I really didn't want to learn needlepoint. When I found that project I found several crochet projects gone wrong that I had started years ago in attempts to learn new stitches, so I threw those out too. Not to worry though, I still have 2 plastic bins filled with yarn and embroidery stuff waiting to be used. And that's not counting the beading stuff I have that hasn't been touched yet. S

So many things left to do and new things to learn. (sigh)
  • lintino
    Options
    I love that "so many things left to do and new things to learn." In March I am going to take a drawing class for adults at a local art school. I have never taken an art class in my life except a little bit of art appreciation and a jewelry making class or 2. I'm not expecting to be "Grandma Moses" but I would so love to put on paper what I see.
  • Mrsmartin61
    Options
    Some of those "old" project that were unfinished -- I find at my antique/collectible store....they will be just the item someone is searching for. I didn't learn the art of ceramics like my Mom -- so her kiln is being sold to someone who can enjoy it....I saved some of the special pieces that I enjoy and am enjoying seeing many pots and decor going on to new homes.

Daughter and I both enjoy doing some shabby chic remakes on furniture and pieces of wood. My oldest daughter enjoyed her 26th birthday this week and my one and only grandboy celebrates his 6th year next week -- so I have plenty of celebration going on here on my house. And I have to bake cupcakes for his school class and two cakes for a chuch lent luncheon this week! YIKES! The sugar is screaming --- I am an so trying to resist!

All enjoy your weekend! Blessings.
  • walkswithart
    Options
    I recently found a project my mother started 30 years ago and never finished. She gave it to me and I really thought I would finish it, but 17 years later and it's still not done so last week I finally threw it out. I felt bad for a little while, but realized that I didn't know how to do the needlepoint stitching and that I really didn't want to learn needlepoint. When I found that project I found several crochet projects gone wrong that I had started years ago in attempts to learn new stitches, so I threw those out too. Not to worry though, I still have 2 plastic bins filled with yarn and embroidery stuff waiting to be used. And that's not counting the beading stuff I have that hasn't been touched yet. S

Throw it away, give it away. If you aren't going to finish it, you are both better off if it is out of your house. Now for learning new things. I've made an effort each year for many years to try a new craft. Some years are fun, and others turn into UFOs. I am not too old to learn something new and enjoy a new adventure. OOPS gotta go.... I hear an old project calling to me......"Don't throw me out, please!!!"
  • lintino
    Options

Throw it away, give it away. If you aren't going to finish it, you are both better off if it is out of your house. Now for learning new things. I've made an effort each year for many years to try a new craft. Some years are fun, and others turn into UFOs. I am not too old to learn something new and enjoy a new adventure. OOPS gotta go.... I hear an old project calling to me......"Don't throw me out, please!!!"

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • walkswithart
    Options
    So this morning, I'm here begging for kudos. We went to dinner with hubby's 93 yo Dad. I enjoyed it too much. But I did skip the fries and have salad instead. Now if I had eaten only half the bacon burger (yummy) I would be truly worthy of kudos.

Happy new week to all.
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    So this morning, I'm here begging for kudos. We went to dinner with hubby's 93 yo Dad. I enjoyed it too much. But I did skip the fries and have salad instead. Now if I had eaten only half the bacon burger (yummy) I would be truly worthy of kudos.

Happy new week to all.

“The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time.” ~Abraham Lincoln==>>GF, you done good!! By switching fries for salad shows your on the right path for a healthier you!

stickton_thumbs_up_jump_md_wm.gif
  • lintino
    Options

Happy new week to all.

Bacon is truly hard to give up especially once you start eating it! :noway: No beating yourself up. You are making better choices with the salad.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 913 Member
    Options

Happy new week to all.

Big kudos to you. Yes as the others said, you made the wise choice by getting salad. That is a good change. And I am glad you enjoyed the time and the burger. When it starts to be where we don't enjoy it and still have it, we need to seriously think about why we even ate it?

Happy new week to you too.
  • walkswithart
    Options
    Oh yes, The "clean plate" club, the "All the starving children in...", and "don't waste...". These are some of the unhealthy childhood habits that are so hard to break. I can sometimes stop eating something when it is not tasty or when my stomach is full, but too many times old habits take over. I think I will challenge myself to leave at least a teaspoonful of food on my plate for the rest of the week. Now, how do I remember? String around the finger? - no too messy after a few hours. I could get a tatoo - no, takes to long and I hate pain. Maybe just magic marker - YES!!!
  • gramanana
    Options

Happy new week to all.

Big kudos to you. Yes as the others said, you made the wise choice by getting salad. That is a good change. And I am glad you enjoyed the time and the burger. When it starts to be where we don't enjoy it and still have it, we need to seriously think about why we even ate it?

Happy new week to you too.

Great job and good choices. I need to remember to do that. Keep up the good work.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, The "clean plate" club, the "All the starving children in...", and "don't waste...". These are some of the unhealthy childhood habits that are so hard to break. I can sometimes stop eating something when it is not tasty or when my stomach is full, but too many times old habits take over. I think I will challenge myself to leave at least a teaspoonful of food on my plate for the rest of the week. Now, how do I remember? String around the finger? - no too messy after a few hours. I could get a tatoo - no, takes to long and I hate pain. Maybe just magic marker - YES!!!

All of those things we heard as kids. Yick. lol Someone here on the forums suggested pouring salt over the food when we were finished so as not to eat any more of it, especially when we are out with others and they are not done and we are just chatting. I actually did that myself awhile back at the buffet. I had a few small desserts (trust me when I say small, they take a cake and cut it into tiny pieces as if it were for a child playing in the doll house). But, I knew I was finished with my plate, so there went salt all over the rest. LOL It worked. Another thing I learned a long time ago from someone was on sweets. They said if they have cookies or some mini candies in the house, they eat one and tell themselves that if they eat all of them now, there will not be any for tomorrow. I have used this line often and it actually helps. Oh the struggle of it all.
  • lintino
    Options
    I go out to eat often with a good friend who has lost 150lbs with the help of surgery. She always asks for a take away box when she orders, cuts her food in half, puts it in the box and takes it home. Usually she has it for lunch or dinner later in the week. I have been following her example. If you don't see the food it helps you to not eat it. Also if it is especially yummy, it's nice to know that you have something to look forward to.
  • walkswithart
    Options
    ah, poor weak me! I thought about the "take home" box, but after all, I had already given up the fries. And the magic marker did not work at lunch, I went ahead and ate every crumb - but did not lick the plate. Pouring salt on the last food is a great idea. Someone also reminded me of another nasty bad old habit. "Seconds, Please" Lucky that I am learning to overcome that one. I find that a hot cup of herb tea helps me know I'm finished. Good Afternoon to all.
  • gramanana
    Options
    The bite size pieces of chocolate work for me, at least when I'm at home. I need to start the take home box habit again--put it away before I eat it. I know it works. Never tried to salt mainly because I'm addicted to the stuff and not sure it would help.

I had to give up a lot of my favorite foods when I went gluten free last April--french fries, bread, normal cakes and cookies. I'm finally able to pass on fries and not miss them too much; I get a baked or mashed potato instead. I'm over bread, too, for the most part; gluten free bread just isn't the same, so there are times when I crave the real thing. The problem is that gluten free bread has so many more calories that I really have to be careful. And last, but not least, the cakes and cookies. Unfortunately, I'm finding lots of substitutes, both homemade and store bought, that are much higher in calories, so I really need to be careful.
  • lintino
    Options
    The bite size pieces of chocolate work for me, at least when I'm at home. I need to start the take home box habit again--put it away before I eat it. I know it works. Never tried to salt mainly because I'm addicted to the stuff and not sure it would help.

:noway:
  • lintino
    Options
    I had to give up a lot of my favorite foods when I went gluten free last April--french fries, bread, normal cakes and cookies. I'm finally able to pass on fries and not miss them too much; I get a baked or mashed potato instead. I'm over bread, too, for the most part; gluten free bread just isn't the same, so there are times when I crave the real thing. The problem is that gluten free bread has so many more calories that I really have to be careful. And last, but not least, the cakes and cookies. Unfortunately, I'm finding lots of substitutes, both homemade and store bought, that are much higher in calories, so I really need to be careful.

I've heard that about the gluten free substitutes. A friend has been cooking for a granddaughter with celiac's.(?) She also said she was amazed at how many things had gluten that you wouldn't suspect.
  • Mrsmartin61
    Options
    This is my week for baking treats -- tomorrow is grandson's 6th birthday....taking cupcakes to his class. and also make a cake tonight for Lent service lunch at noon. I am a server -- so its gonna be a busy day ....hope to be able to make better choices and stay away from the sweet treats.

Then tomorrow night I have to bake another cake for a funeral service lunch on Thursday !

Whew -- will be glad to start a new month! No change this month on the scales ! :frown: