March Chat

Options
Wooken3
Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
patrick.gifpatrick.gifpatrick.gifpatrick.gifpatrick.gifpatrick.gifpatrick.gifpatrick.gif

St Patrick is known as the patron saint of Ireland. True, he was not a born Irish. But he has become an integral part of the Irish heritage, mostly through his service across Ireland of the 5th century.

Patrick was born in the later half of the 4th century AD. His real name was probably Maewyn Succat. Though Patricius was his Romanicized name, he was later came to be familiar as Patrick.

Patrick was the son of Calpurnius, a Roman-British army officer. He was growing up as naturally as other kids in Britain. However, one day a band of pirates landed in south Wales and kidnapped this boy along with many others. Then they sold him into slavery in Ireland. The was there for 6 years, mostly imprisoned. This was when changes came to him. He dreamed of having seen God. Legend says, he was then dictated by God to escape with a getaway ship.

Finally, he did escape and went to Britain. And then to France. There he joined a monastery and spent around 12 years in training. And when he became a bishop he dreamed that the Irish were calling him back to Ireland to tell them about God.

So he set out for Ireland with the Pope's blessings. Indeed, Patrick was quite successful at winning converts. Through active preaching, he made important converts even among the royal families. And this fact upset the Celtic Druids. Patrick was arrested several times, but escaped each time. For 20 years he had traveled throughout Ireland, establishing monasteries across the country.

There are many legends associated with St Patrick. It is said that he used the three-leafed shamrock to explain the concept of the Trinity; which refers to the combination of Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. Hence its strong association with his day and name Legend also has that, Saint Patrick had put the curse of God on venomous snakes in Ireland. And he drove all the snakes into the sea where they drowned.

Patrick died on March 17, AD 461. That day has been commemorated as St. Patrick's Day ever since. The day's spirit is to celebrate the universal baptization of Ireland. Though originally a Catholic holy day, St. Patrick's Day has evolved into more of a secular holiday. Or, rather, 'be an Irish Day '. And the Irish has borne it as part of their national tradition in everywhere they populated and prospered. The Catholic feast day for this most loved of Irish saints has become a holiday in celebration of the Irish and Irish culture.

The leprechaun, a Celtic fairy, has become entrenched as a chief symbol for this holiday, as is the shamrock, an ancient symbol for the triple goddess Brigit. It is fitting that this holiday should fall at the time of the year when the return of spring begins to seem at hand. The icons like the green color, the tri-leafed shamrock, the leprechaun, or the pot of gold and Blarney's stone- all came to be associated with the celebration of this Day.
ksstpat_e0.giflalepcoin_e0.gifsham_e0.gif

Replies

• californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Well thank you. I love St Patties Day. Brings back memories of being young and my Dad always made corned beef and cabbage. So good.
  • Wooken3
    Options
    Your Welcome _:blushing:_ glad you're enjoying the postings.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Thanks!
  • Mrsmartin61
    Options
    Wooken, thanks for the history update on our new month coming. I am Irish descent partly. some of the family has done an ancestry search and traced the linage from Lief Ecrisson.

I am feeling might old granny here having to get the grandson up and to school these days. I'm not especially a morning person!

Must kick the sugar habit. The last two days we had baked and had meals prepared for church and a funeral .... My sister in law makes the best buttermilk pies!

All have a great day!:drinker:
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Very interesting!! Thanks for sharing. What kind of sites do you go to to find things to post?
  • Wooken3
    Options
    Feb 28: 17.4 miles biked
    Feb Total: 251.1
    Feb Goal: 250
    % of Total: 100.4

jza0231l.jpg
    Made February's Goal…barely…but made it!!!
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Made February's Goal…barely…but made it!!!

Good biking!!
  • Alamo0809
    Options
    I am so excited for you!!! Congratulations!!!:drinker:
  • Wooken3
    Options
    And now onto the March Challenge!

We are divided into teams named after flowers and I'm Proud to be a Nightshade!! :drinker:

My good friend Mr. Google had this to say about nightshade plants: Solanaceae species, informally known as nightshade, are often rich in alkaloids whose toxicity to humans and animals ranges from mildly irritating to fatal in small quantities.

Irritating...fatal... sounds like my kind of Team!! :laugh:
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Well, March is coming in like a lamb here so guess it will go out like a lion. The days have been dry for Jan and Feb, so of course here comes talk of a water shortage, but yet, the gauges all show we were way over normal. Go figure.

Today will be a hard day. There will be a celebration of life for the 22 year old who passed away 2 weeks ago. It has been so hard for my son, as they were best friends, worked together and drove to work together. He was such a nice kid and had the sweetest smile. I too have been missing him as he was over here quite often. My kids are grown and it seems they and their friends still like hanging out at my house. The hardest part of these celebrations of life are seeing all the young people mourning a loss and of course the poor parents. I can't imagine what pain they must feel. It just is never right when a young one goes. So unfair. But, life does some how go on and my favorite saying is "this too shall pass".

Have a good day all.
  • walkswithart
    Options
    @californiagirl - my condolances and let the memories lighten grief.
  • Mrsmartin61
    Mrsmartin61 Posts: 119
    Options
    Californiagrl - such heartache! Hugs to your son!

I'm gettin off the sofa to do laundry ! All have a great week!

This week: No soda. Cut the sweets to a bare minimum.

Lower the carbs and up the exercise!

We can do this! :drinker:
  • Alamo0809
    Options
    I am so very sorry for your family's loss. It is shocking when a young friend passes.
  • Wooken3
    Options
    13233_353862444718081_1320742387_n.jpg

Yep, that's gonna be my new goal in life! :laugh:

Yesterday, I played racquetball for the first time in my life and really enjoyed it. Now I'm off to buy my own equipment and a pair of court shoes. :bigsmile:
  • walkswithart
    Options
    Yep, that's gonna be my new goal in life! :laugh:

Yesterday, I played racquetball for the first time in my life and really enjoyed it. Now I'm off to buy my own equipment and a pair of court shoes. :bigsmile:

What an admirable goal, especially the oh crap part. I'd like to be remembered that way. Racquet ball is fun, I remember from college. I might be able to return one or two today, it would be a work out! :noway:
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Well, March is coming in like a lamb here so guess it will go out like a lion. The days have been dry for Jan and Feb, so of course here comes talk of a water shortage, but yet, the gauges all show we were way over normal. Go figure.

Today will be a hard day. There will be a celebration of life for the 22 year old who passed away 2 weeks ago. It has been so hard for my son, as they were best friends, worked together and drove to work together. He was such a nice kid and had the sweetest smile. I too have been missing him as he was over here quite often. My kids are grown and it seems they and their friends still like hanging out at my house. The hardest part of these celebrations of life are seeing all the young people mourning a loss and of course the poor parents. I can't imagine what pain they must feel. It just is never right when a young one goes. So unfair. But, life does some how go on and my favorite saying is "this too shall pass".

Have a good day all.

Please accept my delayed condolences. So sorry for your son's friend, the friend's family and your son and your family. I know this must be a very difficult time for you.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I've been out of the loop these last couple of weeks, but decided to take a few minutes tonight to check in. I'm glad everyone is doing so well and not suffering too much with the terrible weather.

I've been doing some grandkids daycare, laundry, and helping some with the cooking. I'm exhausted every night! Helping the stepdaughter move is turning out to be very challenging with her and her kids in school (she is going 3 days a week) and the 3 grands in school with after school activities, and the husband working, there is a lot to do. Whew!

Hubby and I are trying to take some time for us, but it is difficult because there is always something else to do to help out. Oh well, I'm very glad we're healthy enough to be able to help out as much as we do. In fact, we were on our way back to the house this afternoon to be here when the kids got home when hubby got a call to go rescue his daughter who had locked her keys in the car. He got the extra key and went to get her while I stayed and waited for the kids.

Anyway, that's what's going on in my life. I'll check back in soon. Be well and happy everyone!
  • walkswithart
    Options
    I had a cooking day yesterday. Cookies for hubby - ones I don't like. Tried out a recipe of hubby's granny - we found one of her hand written recipe ledgers in an old trunk - all recipes from the 1920's.
    I had made the Chocolate Fudge Cake before (really really good). This Chocolate Custard Cake was interesting to make but not worth the fuss - 292 cal for 1/12 of an 8" sq pan. While moist - it needed more chocolate, or maybe I made it wrong. It had you make a "custard" with 8 Tbsp grated chocolate, 5 tsp sugar, and 1 1/2 Cup milk - cook until thick - only mine never did get thick. Oh, Well, it was fun to try.

It is strange that this woman loved to bake, but none of her recipes were taken up by her daughter-in-law and thus not passed on to her grandchildren. Kind of sad how the distaff side suffers. Do you have recipes from your husbands mother that you've passed on to daughters and sons?
  • Alamo0809
    Options
    Love the cartoon. Yup... great goal!!
  • Alamo0809
    Options
    If I remember correctly, the book "True Women" was built around the grandmother's recipes... and told the story of settling a region of Texas. It was a great book... ( movie not so great).

I did save grandmother's and mother's cook books and all her hand written notes. My sis is really good about making the traditional Christmas "kringle" style coffee bread.

I love what you are doing with the recipes. A little taste would work into your diet plan. :happy: