March Chat

Options

Replies

• lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I got all my grandmother's hand written recipes on file cards. I love seeing her handwriting and how she called many of the recipes by the names of the women that she got them from. It always brings a smile to my face when I see the ones that say "My........."

I don't have any children of my own. I don't know if my nieces would be interested in those recipes. I'll have to find out.
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I got all my grandmother's hand written recipes on file cards. I love seeing her handwriting and how she called many of the recipes by the names of the women that she got them from. It always brings a smile to my face when I see the ones that say "My........."

I don't have any children of my own. I don't know if my nieces would be interested in those recipes. I'll have to find out.

I don't give my nieces and nephews a chance to turn the family history down. I pester them on facebook and E-mails. It's good conversation makers and I was very suprised at how interested they were when it was force fed (even those adopted). I figure that since I have no children, my nieces and nephews will remember their excentric Aunt. It has been fun .

Love looking at the handwriting of my ancestors, I've tried to digitize some of each person if I can, for posterity.
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Like I always say, "you're only as old as you act!!
  • walkswithart
    Options
    Like I always say, "you're only as old as you act!!

Yup, and sometimes I am about 3! And so much fun!!

And darn, the first time I stepped on the scale this morning - down a pound and a half, Then oops, I had my hand lightly on the bookshelf. Darn!!
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    For those of you that did the 'spring forward' thing today.

Daylight Savings Time 2013: Why Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Saving
    --taken from www.abc15.com

clock_20110313130255_320_240.JPG

PHOENIX - It's that time again -- but not for Arizona.

This upcoming weekend marks the beginning of Daylight Saving time for most of the United States.

However, unlike almost everywhere else, Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Saving Time (DST), and hasn't done so for about the last 40 years.

We'll explain why that's the case in a minute.

If this weekend seems earlier than normal for DST, you're right. In 2007, President Bush signed into law an energy bill that called for Daylight Saving Time to begin three weeks earlier, on the second Sunday in March, and end one week later on the first Sunday in November.

Prior to 2007, DST started on the first Sunday in April and ended on the last Sunday in October.

Arizona's independence from this annual time change can cause a lot of confusion for residents and visitors alike.

It means the state is in the same time zone as Denver from November to March, but then falls behind Denver to Los Angeles time from March to November.

Why doesn't Arizona change? It has a lot to do with the weather.

The history of daylight saving is tied to energy conservation. Switching to DST in the summer means more sunlight at night, which in turn means homes don't have to turn on lights as early.

According to the U.S. Government , that leads to energy and fuel savings.

Over the course of the last 100 years, the United States (including Arizona) has gone on Daylight Saving time in both World War 1 and World War 2, but then gone off after the wars were over.

In 1973, a more permanent federal law was enacted to help with the oil shortages of that time. But Arizona asked for – and was eventually granted an exemption.

According to an Arizona Republic editorial from 1969, the reason was the state's extreme heat. If Arizona were to observe Daylight Saving Time, the sun would stay out until 9 p.m. in the summer (instead of 8 p.m., like it does currently).

"[Data] clearly show that we must wait until about 9 p.m. DST to start any night-time activity such as drive-in movies, moonlight rides, convincing little children it’s bedtime, etc," the editorial stated. "And it’s still hot as blazes!"

Another Arizona Republic editorial from 1968 stated, "Drive-in theaters, the parents of small children, the bars, the farmers and those who do business with California" were against Daylight Saving time while "power companies, the evening golfers, the late risers, and the people with business interests on the Eastern seaboard" were for it.

But don't be fooled by Arizona's DST stance. Not every corner of Arizona is exempt from Daylight Saving Time today.

The Navajo Indian Reservation follows DST, but the reservation stretches across four different states.

If all of Arizona were to re-evaluate its stance and choose to observe DST, here's what would change.

Instead of sunrise at 5:30 a.m. during most of the summer, the sun would come up at 6:30 a.m. And at the end of the day, the sun would set at 9 p.m. instead of 8 p.m. Winter sunrise and sunset times would remain the same.

A 2009 Michigan State University published by the American Psychological Association study showed that DST has adverse effects on the American workplace.

"Following [the start and end of DST], employees slept 40 min less, had 5.7% more workplace injuries, and lost 67.6% more work days because of injuries than on non phase change days," explained the study, which looked at mining injuries between 1983 and 2006 from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.

Daylight Saving Time starts at 2 a.m. local time Sunday, March 10, 2013. It ends on November 3, 2013.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    I hate this DST and wish they would just leave it alone. Switch it to DST and then leave it there all year. Wooken thanks for the info on AZ, I always wondered why they were exempt. Maybe other states will follow pursuit.
  • lintino
    Options
    Great information on DST. Thank you Wooken. And the reason we even have time zones and uniform times is because the railroads wanted to keep their trains on time.
  • Mrsmartin61
    Mrsmartin61 Posts: 119
    Options
    A few posts back . You mentioned handwritten recipes. I was looking on pinterest. A way to showcase these would be to frame them for hanging on the wall in kitchen area. I thought this would be a neat idea!

All have a blessed week!
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I've been going to Denny's for 6:30 am Bible Study for years so I've seen a lot of changes in the menu over time. The Baconalia Menu is being offered again and just wanted to share one of the items with you.

From Denny's Baconalia promotion: Maple Bacon Sundae
    20110331-dennys-sundae.jpg
    810 calories, 40 g fat, 97 g carbohydrates, 16 g protein, 0 g fiber, 460 mg sodium

Review: The star of the show is the Maple Bacon Sundae. It's nothing more than the sum of those parts: Vanilla ice cream, maple syrup, and their standard bacon crumbled on top. It may sound weird to some of you, I know, but trust me on this one—the bacon crumble serves the same crunchy-salty role as peanuts on a sundae. There is an interesting textural contrast between the thick, very creamy ice cream, warm syrup, and crunchy bacon, and the bacon leaves a salty aftertaste on a very sweet base. That took a little getting used to, but by the end I was really into it. Without question, the maple bacon sundae is the breakout hit of Baconalia.

==>>Unbelievable...but there you go. :ohwell:
  • Mrsmartin61
    Mrsmartin61 Posts: 119
    Options
    That bacon sundae - I think we could split one -- and with only half those total calories/fat etc. it would fit into my program!!! WISH!

The bacon crumbles are yummy on dark chocolate iced choc. cupcakes too! with a scant sprinkle of sea salt! But hey! at this rate I will never be slim!

Today's lunch was a chicken salad sandwich on wheat bread. A bag of baked chips. Coffee.
  • lintino
    Options
    A few posts back . You mentioned handwritten recipes. I was looking on pinterest. A way to showcase these would be to frame them for hanging on the wall in kitchen area. I thought this would be a neat idea!

All have a blessed week!
    I

I really like this idea, MrsMartin. I think I am going to look for some appropriate background paper and mount several of them. Thank you.
  • _Liz_M_
    _Liz_M_ Posts: 39
    Options
    Oh Wooken!!! That maple sundae sounds divine. It looks divine. Perhaps I should think it was Divine intervention that the earthquake here in Christchurch demolished Denny's. :love:
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Oh My! Not my cup of tea!
  • californiagirl1950
    Options
    I have to say I love to dip fries into ice cream, so I think this might be pretty good. I could maybe have 1 bite and that is all. Funny, I am not a big bacon lover! OMG, did I say that out loud? Going to make bacon lovers really mad. lol
  • walkswithart
    Options
    It is almost t Patrick's Day. Since I have a little Irish in me and a little child - anyone for green eggs and ham for breakfast? And a nice boiled dinner. We had ours Tuesday, but no scones.

Happy Happy Friday to all.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! Finally home and trying to get caught up with a lot of stuff, including MFP friends. When we got home last night 2 deer were in the driveway--what a welcome.

I'm not sure about the bacon on the sundae, but everyone has different tastes. I don't think I'd like green eggs and ham either--I think I'll leave that for Dr. Seuss (lol).

That's my two cents for today.
  • walkswithart
    Options
    Glad to see you back gramanana! Have missed you. So, no green eggs & ham. I actually had green eggs - deviled eggs with green stuffing - they were very good - did not taste green at all.

Yesterday was the Ides of March, a very important day in history. Look it up in Wikipedia. It was also my Aunts Birthday and I missed telling her Happy Birthday. Will have to rectify that somehow.

I've been enjoying the Spring flowers so much this year. I'm using them as an incentive to get out & walk. Taking pictures and wondering what those shoots look like now.

Happy Saturday to all.

!persistence! required for weight loss and learning new habits. I'm not there yet.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Walkswithart: Thanks, it's good to be back. Can't wait until my energy returns and asthma/cold symptoms clear up so I can get back into a routine. Will try to start slow tomorrow--still unpacking today. Also have a b-day party to go to later.

I wish we had flowers here, but there's still snow on the ground. It's such a difference from Baton Rouge and New Orleans where the colors and flowers were beautiful. Even our friend in rural Kentucky had daffodils coming up. Can't wait for our turn.

You're right about PERSISTENCE, it is the key to any lifestyle change. I must be getting there since I didn't gain any weight while I was gone.

Have a great day!
  • californiagirl1950
    Options
    Welcome back gramanana, and oh my what a lovely homecoming by the dear. Lucky you. That was so good of you and your husband to go help them get moved. That is hard work and to be away from home for so long. Hats off to you both. Hope the energy returns soon and the symptoms go away.

Have a good time at the birthday party.

@walkswith..... the green eggs and stuffing all sound delightful and I would love to have a bite for me! I had totally forgot about the Ides of March. I will have to look that up later. Happy happy late birthday to your Aunt too.

Have a great Saturday everyone and yep persistence wins this race. You are so right on that!
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...just joined and enjoying reading your chat........

I love the cartoon and yes we are only as old as we act...I am usually about 28 rather than 61....... I started playing guitar when I was 58....I should have started 40 years ago...I might have made a fortune!

I get the impression that everyone here is from the USA? I an from the UK........ but love the US...I have been over there over 25 times on various holidays....... next one is in May when we fly to San Francisco then drive up to Seattle.... love that area so much...coastline and mountains - so beautiful..

Happy St Patrick's Day

Jean :flowerforyou: