March Check-in&Chat - Green beer to fuel your lifts!

Options

Replies

• Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    @vashnic...oooh ouch. though I can imagine the siren song of those 45lb plates... What I try and ALWAYS do after my lifting and is get the ball down and stretch my back on it. It takes me about 5-10 minutes of hanging out on it upside down to really REALLY let go of all the tension and release the muscles. I taught this to my bf who had back issues and he says it is like the poorman's inversion table. I also do all my crunches on the ball because it doesn't hurt my back...I think it is in my head..but it just works better for my crunches.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for foam rollers? Theres so many not sure what kind or brand I need. I mainly need it for my big *kitten* hamstrings and lower back.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    @vashnic...oooh ouch. though I can imagine the siren song of those 45lb plates... What I try and ALWAYS do after my lifting and is get the ball down and stretch my back on it. It takes me about 5-10 minutes of hanging out on it upside down to really REALLY let go of all the tension and release the muscles. I taught this to my bf who had back issues and he says it is like the poorman's inversion table. I also do all my crunches on the ball because it doesn't hurt my back...I think it is in my head..but it just works better for my crunches.

I do this too. On good days, my whole spine pops. It's awesome!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for foam rollers? Theres so many not sure what kind or brand I need. I mainly need it for my big *kitten* hamstrings and lower back.

I got a $30 handheld one at a local D!ck's Sporting Goods store and suits me pretty well. This is the one I have:
    http://www.d!ckssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12842589&cp=4406646.4413986.4417719

Unless you want one of the big ones that you lie on and roll around over? What are you looking for?

LOL @ MFP blanking out d!icks as a dirty word; evidently when you copy the link you'd have to swap the ! for the letter i. Jeez.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I got my roller at "The Healthy Back" store.
  • RunDoozer
    Options

I got a $30 handheld one at a local D!ck's Sporting Goods store and suits me pretty well. This is the one I have:
    http://www.d!ckssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12842589&cp=4406646.4413986.4417719

Unless you want one of the big ones that you lie on and roll around over? What are you looking for?

LOL @ MFP blanking out d!icks as a dirty word; evidently when you copy the link you'd have to swap the ! for the letter i. Jeez.

Kinda clueless on this one LOL. My main priority is my hamstrings they are always so tight these days with the heavy squats. Are you able to get them well with that one. Or should I more be looking at one I should be rolling around on. Really dont know. Price doesnt matter too much just want it to work lol.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Doozer, you might want to think about incorporating some flexibility stuff too.
  • RunDoozer
    Options

Been thinking about just relaxation/stretching yoga... I think normal yoga may be too much.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I got my roller on amazon as that was cheapest. They do break down over time so make sure you get a quality one or you'll be replacing even faster.

Also re: salt - most people don't need to worry about it, as they will jut excrete the excess. Some people are very sensitive to it and should avoid it, especially if they have high blood pressure.

I regularly eat between 3000 and 5000. Actually I tend to feel kind of crappy and meh if I eat really low sodium.

I've seen an argument that people on diets shouldn't regulate it too much unless they are going to be doing it as a lifelong thing because when they do have a bunch one day and see the gain from it it can psych them out. Something like that.

I don't weigh myself often though and I'm very comfortable with an understanding of how much my weight fluctuates so its probably easier for me to say that because I don't see the scale often enough to have freak outs.

Also some gyms don't allow chalk so you can get an Eco-ball (non marking chalk substitute) as well. It's a little more drying though so if you don't normally moisturize your hands at all you may want to. (I put face lotion on by smearing it in my hands first and that seems sufficient)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

Been thinking about just relaxation/stretching yoga... I think normal yoga may be too much.

My husband got a "yoga for inflexible people" video that I think he's said is ok - ill get you the name if you want. I think the sessions are fairly short
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I don't watch sodium. But I just ate over 3000 calories at Jack in the box. So I guess that kinda goes without saying.

Only things I track are calories and protein

This ^^^^ except for 3000 cal's at JITB. I wish :love:

Yea I was under 3500 calories for the past 2 days and feeling it. Had to get some thing in my body to make up for it. So I pigged out right after my workout.

That said I have a really hard time eating as much as I need to healthily. Sometimes being 6'0 and 220 lbs has its advantages and sometimes it's a real pain in the *kitten* when you don't want to eat.

Oh I'm not judging....I'm insanely jealous actually lol

For real though....how about drinking cals? Shakes and stuff? Is that doable?
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I have a longer one and it feels good to roll on it for upper back. Also really liking it for the hip flexors BUT oweee. A good oweee BUT. . . Yeah. Maybe watch a few YouTube videos with them before buying to see which exercises you will do.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I've seen an argument that people on diets shouldn't regulate it too much unless they are going to be doing it as a lifelong thing because when they do have a bunch one day and see the gain from it it can psych them out. Something like that.

Oh, this is SO me, LOL…

And yes, Tameko, I would also love the title of the Yoga for Inflexible people….I tried my Yoga for Absolute Beginners DVD on Sunday and it sucked SO bad. I don’t know if it was cuz I was in a crappy mood, or because my matt is too narrow, or because the dog kept licking me in the face, or what, but I don’t remember it being THAT annoying when I tried it the first time.
  • vashnic
    vashnic Posts: 93
    Options

Haha yeah, I have been draping myself off the edge of my bed or office chair to stretch out those pesky muscles. Mostly when nobody else is around to judge me. :wink: Sadly my big exercise ball got punctured, so no super back feeling crunches until I get a new one.

@Doozer, you might try just bodyweight stretches in the meantime. Sit on the ground with one leg straight out, toes up, and the other leg folded in. Lean your upper body forward and grab your ankle for a minute or so, then switch legs. When I took gymnastics/karate in my teens, we always did extensive stretches like this during warmup.
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    I don't watch sodium. But I just ate over 3000 calories at Jack in the box. So I guess that kinda goes without saying.

Yea I was under 3500 calories for the past 2 days and feeling it. Had to get some thing in my body to make up for it. So I pigged out right after my workout.

That said I have a really hard time eating as much as I need to healthily. Sometimes being 6'0 and 220 lbs has its advantages and sometimes it's a real pain in the *kitten* when you don't want to eat.

I really believe in calories being calories. But I have heard somethings about not drinking your calories. I think those were more in reference to soda though.

I personally get the Large mango smoothie which that alone is about 600 calories. So you need to be really careful when you do have them. Also, love jamba juice.

Also they have a ton of sugar in them. While I usually don't concern myself too much with sugar I do try and not overdo it.
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    whew I just kinda killed it! with the exception of OHP.....that kinda sucked.....

Squat 5x5 - 125
    OHP - 55
    Deadlift - 1x5 175
    Assisted Dips - 3x5

I'm wondering if my OHP sucked cause I've been doing swimming lately? who knows....

But Ialso swam laps after the weights and actually had no issues at all, felt awesome.

Feeling like the cool kid right now.
  • RunDoozer
    Options

Haha yeah, I have been draping myself off the edge of my bed or office chair to stretch out those pesky muscles. Mostly when nobody else is around to judge me. :wink: Sadly my big exercise ball got punctured, so no super back feeling crunches until I get a new one.

@Doozer, you might try just bodyweight stretches in the meantime. Sit on the ground with one leg straight out, toes up, and the other leg folded in. Lean your upper body forward and grab your ankle for a minute or so, then switch legs. When I took gymnastics/karate in my teens, we always did extensive stretches like this during warmup.

Sorry for the double post it was just easier to quote this way.

The ball sounds like a good idea if I can keep myself from falling off of it.

Yea, I do static stretching before I lift. Played a lot of sports in High School so used to those. Being fat was a recent development for me. Had a 6 pack till I was 25. Then I got married and poof just like that it was gone. Now on my journey to get it back. Will be uber sexy again one day. I just need to be doing more on my off days because I kinda just sit around.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

I really believe in calories being calories. But I have heard somethings about not drinking your calories. I think those were more in reference to soda though.

I personally get the Large mango smoothie which that alone is about 600 calories. So you need to be really careful when you do have them. Also, love jamba juice.

Also they have a ton of sugar in them. While I usually don't concern myself too much with sugar I do try and not overdo it.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant drinking calories in terms of actually making protein shakes and stuff.....not buying pre-made shakes or juices or pop. For example, milk is great from a nutritional standpoint. Add some protein powder, fruit or peanut butter and you have a great shake that you can really amp up easily to 500+calories. Nutritious without being filled with junk. IMO there is nothing wrong with meeting your caloric goal with something like that.
  • fishlover888
    Options
    @ Doozer any high density foam roller should do you fine. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Black-High-Density-Foam-Rollers/dp/B0040NJOA0/ref=sr_1_2?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1362521984&sr=1-2 though you might be able to find a cheaper one at a sporting goods store or online.

It doesn't sound to me like you would need any of the fancy trigger point ones with all the knobs or anything, and I recommend the high density because I have the normal softer one and it wore out pretty quick. Though that would probably be ok too for now if it's a big price difference. If you plan on rolling one leg at a time you can get the shorter one, I think they are about 2 feet long? Cheaper but limits you on some of the stretches I think.

I have the short one and it works, I just picked it up at a running store. If you hit up a running or sports store they should let you try it out, and a good place will teach you how to use it a little bit. My foam roller saved my life when I had IT band syndrome. I have honestly taken it on vacation with me before. :)

Re: Sodium - I don't really track it because I don't crave salty things and I have abnormally low blood pressure but generally it's like, if I eat a frozen meal I don't eat out or have something with soy sauce on the same day. Maybe I'll start tracking it to see what's happening there.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    whew I just kinda killed it! with the exception of OHP.....that kinda sucked.....

Squat 5x5 - 125
    OHP - 55
    Deadlift - 1x5 175
    Assisted Dips - 3x5

I'm wondering if my OHP sucked cause I've been doing swimming lately? who knows....

But Ialso swam laps after the weights and actually had no issues at all, felt awesome.

Feeling like the cool kid right now.

Nice work Darwin! Those are awesome numbers.