Non-scale Victories

Options
12346»

Replies

• PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I love it! There are so many opportunities in fitness for clear-cut NSVs. You can lift heavier weights. You can run faster or farther. You can do more push-ups or pull-ups.

There's a Captain's Chair in my gym - if you're not familiar with it, it's got a back rest & arm rests and spots on the sides to put your feet. While holding yourself up using your arms/shoulders, you lift & lower your legs (either straight legs or knees tucked) to get an ab workout. The first time I tried I could only do 1 because my shoulders weren't strong enough to hold myself up. Now I can hold myself up long enough to actually get an ab workout from it.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Laura, that's great! I want your newfound shoulder strength!! I'm working on it, but it's slow going.

We have that at the gym and in fact have one at the park where I go walk (there's outdoor workout equipment there), but I've always been too shy to try it. I am certain I couldn't do it straight-legged, but maybe knees up. It was on my list of moves I want to incorporate into my workout, but I'm too shy to try (also too shy to try the assisted pull-up machine)--still want to gain some upper strength before I try. Besides, it is highly occupied at my gym because it also has pull-up/chin-up and dip grips so guys are lined up.

I'm all about NSVs these days, since the scale has found it's happy place and isn't budging.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    At the end of tonight's workout I did 3 straight minutes of bicycle crunches. Jason (trainer) said he was going to stop me at 2 minutes but I was still going strong so he let me keep going. Maybe that doesn't sound like a lot, but a year ago my elbow was probably 5" from reaching my knee and I was moving pretty slowly - now not only am I moving a lot faster, I can touch the outside of my elbow to the outside of the opposite knee.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    NSV today.

So, I was waiting for this tall guy on the lying leg curl. I did leg extension and calf raise and finally he was done. But he had set the pad too long for me (strange b/c I'm also tall, just not THAT tall) and I'd never adjusted it before because it stays almost universally on the middle position. So, I did a couple of uncomfortable sets but then saw one of the trainers/gymworkers walk by and I asked if he'd move it b/c I wasn't sure how. He did and before I laid down to do a set, he looked and said, "The weight is set very high" (I guess he thought I'd only just gotten there and hadn't moved the weight...but that was MY weight selection. And! that was my weight for 10reps, I do even heavier when I'm doing 6reps.) I just said, "I think it'll be okay", laid down and cranked out 10 reps. heee heee.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Gotta run out but I'm so happy about this that I had to quickly share it: My favourite jeans fit again (slight muffin top but that'll go away eventually as well)! I was getting so frustrated about the scale lately but this is so much better :happy:
  • myheartsabattleground
    Options
    Not REALLY an NSV, but yesterday was my first workout in about 7 weeks, and I'm glad I did it.