April Check in & Chat - Spring into the Squat Rack

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    I nailed the OHP at 65 last night! :drinker: I feel so amazing. Apparently third time really is the charm. I even had a little left in the tank at the end. Man progress feels good! :happy:

Awesome!!!:drinker: So happy for you!
    I am a woman of many interests apparently.....funny that they are all fitness related though....besides shopping Also, I won't lie, I'm hoping that maybe getting out into a co-ed sport will lead me to perhaps meet a nice man In all seriousness though, boxing is something I have always wanted to do but never had the confidence to do it before! It will still be a stretch since I have never worked out outside of my home since I started this whole journey, but no risk no reward right?!

I totally get the coed sport to meet a nice guy thing... It didn't actually work for me, but I gave it a try. And boxers are usually so sexy!

I just got back from the gym. Squats at 105 -- check! OHP at 47 -- check! Deadlifts at 155 -- um.... No. I ended up doing 150 for 2 reps and 145 for 2 reps :blushing:

I think I was just out of gas in the tank. Not used to so many warmups, not resting enough, crappy eating yesterday, wrong time of day... take your pick. Probably not enough rest before I went for it was the big issue. This was the first time that I failed on DL's so will give it another go next time.

And my OHP form is sooo much better. I'm sure I will be breaking my 48.5 PR soon teehee.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    My April Check is.... I start Monday! Gonna do the 45 pounds like recommended for everthing. But I already can deadlift 90 without much difficulty, so I might start my deadlifts at 50 or 60.(they are Wednesday)
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Hi all—I've been reading through this thread--you're all doing so well! It's getting me excited to start SL on Monday.

I finished NROLW in the fall and really loved that program, but have been kind of floundering ever since (did about 1/3 of NROL4Abs but just couldn't get into that program...have totally lost my diet tracking motivation, etc.). So, I'm hoping the simplicity and forward movement of SL will smack me back into gear. I really don't want to go into shorts season feeling as blah as I do right now.

Now, I just have to figure out some reasonable starting weights, watch a few more form videos, and...go!

Nice to meet you :)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Welcome! Hope you love it too!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    I'm baaa-aaack!

Got my strong lifts on today for the first time in a month, and first any lift in two weeks.

Granted, it was 45 lbs across the board, workout A, but at least it was 5x5! I knew that I missed doing them, but didn't realize how good lifting made me feel until I got to do it again. :bigsmile: I feel like me, again! And there was no pain at all in my back, so that is a major plus.

Welcome to all the new ladies that I haven't met, yet. :smile:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    My April Check is.... I start Monday! Gonna do the 45 pounds like recommended for everthing. But I already can deadlift 90 without much difficulty, so I might start my deadlifts at 50 or 60.(they are Wednesday)

Just start with 90 if you can do it with good form, that's about the recommended starting weight anyway (maybe it's 95, but that's irrelevant in your case).
    Now, I just have to figure out some reasonable starting weights, watch a few more form videos, and...go!

Nice to meet you :)

All the starting weights and whatnot are in the stickies. Welcome!

I did my Saturday deload session, and did 110 on deadlifts (almost at my old PR of 115 which I expect to shatter next week, minus the back pain and bad form). Staggered 5x5 seems to be working really well for me, so I'm going to just stick with it, and push for a little more every week.

On to 2 days rest and hopefully letting my lower ab/groin muscles rest enough for them to quit wigging on me. For now anyway. :laugh:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member

Just start with 90 if you can do it with good form, that's about the recommended starting weight anyway (maybe it's 95, but that's irrelevant in your case).

I have not read the stickies here.just the FAQs) I was going by the ebook. He said to start at 45#.. well, I thought that was for everything, I guess not. that book is like trying to find a needle in a haystack...of pins.

I guess I should go read the summary here.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    @Vegas - BOXING!!! I've been debating between boxing and crossfit as my next move up in my activity. As of right now, boxing is winning despite the late night times at the gym. I still can't justify the cost of a crossfit membership.

Feeling a bit beat up today. Did workout B again.

Squat - didn't complete past warm up again due to hip flexor.
    OHP - 2x5 and 1x3 @ 75 then 2x5 @ 70
    Dead - 1x5 @165 - deloaded a little from last time

After all this one of the gym staff was starting his workout and had put 135 on the bench press bar. Jokingly I said "I so would have that" and he challenged me to try. Well, I learned that I can get 135 off the rack and down all on my own, but getting it back up is not happening yet. :laugh: So we played around and I was able to do a rep at 120, but not 125. So my effective 1RM on bench is now 120. I was feeling BAMF about that since my former 1RM was 110 and that was like 7 years ago and I weighed 10 lbs more. So I'm now at a 90% body weight 1RM versus my former 76% bw 1RM!

One more week of no logging and trying to eat to gain. Then back to the cut on the 29th.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    To log or not to log??? I try and log throughout the week, but I never log at weekends. After a year or so of being obsessed with calories, then beating myself up because I went over that magic number, I am really trying to concentrate on lifting and exercise first.

I know what I should be eating, I know about portions. I now need to trust myself to have some self control and do this without logging everything.

I also still eat 'bad' things at times. I will not feel guilty about that, I love food and I see it not just as fuel but as something to be enjoyed.

And onto the exciting thing - lifting. This is week 2 of stronglifts for me. Loving it. My DL weight was 105. I looked at that number, then at my husband. Straight away I said I can't do it. I hadn't even tried. This was my problem with NROL4W, I didn't believe I could lift certain weights and didn't push. Anyway, the husband told me I could and wouldn't listen to my complaints when he loaded up my bar.
    And you know what, I lifted it. 105lbs. Not huge compared to some people. But to me it was huge. It showed me to have more confidence, and not to give up. It was hard, but felt so good.
    OMG! This is me. I did my 6th workout today B and105 deadlift. When I first tried that 105, I felt there was no way I was ever going to lift this. But I did and...WOW! I feel like the lil engine that could and did. So Rachel, I feel you and I'm with you as I am with all you stronglift ladies. You inspire me to move on with my 54 y/o self. I think I can, I think I can, I know I can.

Workout B #6 today's results:

Squats - 70lbs
    OHP - 55lbs
    D/L's - 105lbs Yay me! That is the most that I remember ever lifting. (doing the happy dance)

Looking forward to more progress. Haven't been posting as much as I would like but will get better as time goes on...patience.

Happy Lifting ladies. I too am so glad you all are here.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    @Vegas I'm so excited for you to take up boxing. If I wasn't knocked up, I'd have started a little while ago. I can't wait to get into it someday!

Me too! Although a little frightened, I won't lie! I heard that they make you RUN outside as a warmup :sick: :laugh: Maybe after baby comes you can try a class with me!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    @Vegas - BOXING!!! I've been debating between boxing and crossfit as my next move up in my activity. As of right now, boxing is winning despite the late night times at the gym. I still can't justify the cost of a crossfit membership.

Boxing is so cheap hey???!!! Especially compared to crossfit! I know at the club by my house it's like $225 for 3 months, 4 hours/week! That's insane!!! Plus the fact that it's genuinely something I have always wanted to do....kind of makes it win win! Maybe we would be doing it at the same time and can trade notes! That would be super cool :smile:

@Ges.....yes, boxers can be incredibly sexy :love: I have dated a couple in my day and quite enjoyed it :laugh: Hopefully there will be some good prospects at my club :smile:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Boxing is so cheap hey???!!! Especially compared to crossfit! I know at the club by my house it's like $225 for 3 months, 4 hours/week! That's insane!!! Plus the fact that it's genuinely something I have always wanted to do....kind of makes it win win! Maybe we would be doing it at the same time and can trade notes! That would be super cool :smile:

The boxing membership for me would be $75/month, but that is for unlimited classes (so I could do co-ed boxing, women's kickboxing, and various martial arts) and it also keeps my membership at the gym I go to now. Crossfit is like $150 a month for unlimited access :noway: . I will probably look into starting boxing in the Fall (I live in a University town so a lot of things run around the school schedule). It would be awesome to have someone to compair notes with! :happy:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    @jstout.....yeah yours is a great deal too! I'm thinking $70/month for 4 hours/week is super reasonable plus I don't think that I could handle more than 4 hours/week on top of Madcow! I might even have to cut down to 2 hours/week! We'll have to see! I actually just found a yoga studio that offers an introductory promo of $40 for unlimited classes for 1 month so I might give that a try too.....instead of sticking with my yoga DVD's :laugh: I also looked into crossfit here and the costs were about the same as in your area. There is no way I can justify that. Quite frankly I don't understand why it's so much considering in many cases it's just a big warehouse style location!

Workout B for me this morning....woke up early to do it only because I ate far too much crap yesterday. All carbs, next to no protein haha I'm thinking that I will just call it a "re-feed" however there was no rhyme or reason to anything I shoved in my mouth except for the fact that I just wanted it :laugh:

Finished up workout B with a different dumbbell complex......loved this one as well! My legs and *kitten* will look good for my trip to Vegas if it's the last damn thing I do! :laugh:
  • lwoodroff
    B for me today. Squats - couldn't resist going up to 50kg, did 5x5 but will redo as I wasn't getting down to parallel *bad Lydia* so need to revisit!

OHP 27.5kg again, 55553. Didn't attempt those last 2 reps as it felt dire, and I could feel my core wasn't as supportive as it should be. Any suggestions for core strengthening, or is it just the vileness of OHPs? :)

Finally deadlift. 70kg. Just looked and it should have been 75. d'oh! anyway, this was cool and I got commended on my form, kicking myself for not going up but probably just as well. Next time deadlift, next time... Felt pretty BAMF seeing that bend in the bar too! Suspect I'm reaching my 'natural' limit on this before I'll need to focus on form/core/grip...
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Been reading, but not posting...got a stomach bug and my energy is waaay down! Did finally feel better enough today to lift.

Squats...staying at 125 for this week (I only go up by 5# a week). Soon I'll be able to squat myself (um, that doesn't sound quite right!)
    Bench...stuck at 82.5, they're about as frustrating as OHP!
    Rows...95. No complaints there!

Hope everyone had a good weekend!
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    I've missed lifting! Back on track with three workouts last week, and three more to come this week.

Squat - 37.5kg - 82.5lb - back up to previous best
    Bench - 25kg - 55lb - thought I'd never do this increase, went to get my fractionals, screwed up the maths and loaded up the extra 5lb to 55lb anyway, and nailed it for a new best weight. Happy Xidia!
    Row - 30kg - 66lb - usual form degradation on a new weight. Also a new best weight, but I don't get excited about Rows.

Will repeat all these next time for form/ease reasons.
  • lwoodroff
    maybe tmi but does anyone else find pendlay rows are as much a test of your pelvic floor as your strength?!
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Read through, forgot to take notes on who to tell what! Sigh. It is going to be that kind of day, I guess! Brain not totally engaged.

Today:
    Squats: 85 5x5 still very low, but working hard on form.
    OHP: 70 and I am beginning to think it will never improve.
    Deadlift: 170 1x5 and watched form, so no back injury!

Also, on squats, how low do most of you go? I can do signficantly more weight if I don't go all the way down, but going all way way or most of the way (below parallel, but not quite to the ground), the amount of weight I can do is greatly reduced, however, going down further seems to help with my knees.

In any case, I'm just feeling happy that I did a 170 pound deadlift! 175 next time....or 170 if I'm a scaredy cat that day!
  • lwoodroff
    I try to get to parallel. I believe 'all the way' is known as ATG (*kitten* to grass).. but I'm not that strong! I'm sure one of the experienced lasses will give better advice!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    I lifted, per usual, on Saturday. Had a fun Saturday night, and then Sunday, I woke up sore. Really sore. Hips, armpits, back, everything. I haven't been that sore since I first started and did too much, too soon. So, lesson learned, beer is not a good recovery drink. :wink:

Vegas: boxing sounds like fun! I've heard that men dig chicks that can beat their @ss! :tongue:
    Julie and Xidia: glad you're back!
    Whoever hit your 65lb OHP, way to go! (I didn't take notes)

glwerth: I (try) to go parallel on my squats. I do at least two sessions before increasing my weights, and usually that first session of increasing, I don't make it quite parallel, but it's close. I get a hair lower than parallel on warmups.