5k Training thoughts

Options

Replies

• msuspartan10
    msuspartan10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Started week 3 on Monday. Way more free runs, I felt a lot more challenged this week trying to run through them all. I also don't know if I'm doing those stupid high knees right.

Question for you guys. I ran my first 5K a couple weeks ago and was happy to have run the whole thing. That was my goal! My next goal is to significantly improve my time and run another late summer/early fall. What is the best way to increase your speed? Workouts with long distances at a slower speed? Or shorter distances at a higher speed?
    TIA!

I would do some sprint training. I think I recently saw a pin on pinterest about how to improve your speed. I think it was a Self magazine article.

Thanks, I'll shop around The Google and see what I can find regarding sprint training.
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my Color Me Rda 5k tomorrow morning! Excited! :smile:
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my Color Me Rda 5k tomorrow morning! Excited! :smile:

oooo I'd wish you luck, but you don't need it!!
    Have a Great time and hurry home to let us know how much fun you had! :):)
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    This was great! I am totally doing this again next year! :tongue:

My initial moment of proud triumph at my best time ever by a large margin was squashed a moment later when I looked at the distance reported by Runtastic and realized that Color Me Rad is one of those weird 5K's that isn't actually a 5K, it's only about 2.2 miles. That puts me right back at a nearly 12-minute mile, which is a bit slower than I ran before I took a break to rest my injured foot. Since this was my first actual attempt at a run in three weeks, I've decide to be happy with my time of 24 minutes anad a few seconds for 2.2 miles.

I'm also happy with my color stained top, my new water bottle, and especially the expression on my husband's face as I arrived back home, still fully rad-colored, and rushed him with arms wide open. "HUG!!!" :bigsmile:
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    WOOT!! That's so awesome!
    What a great day for you!
    I've been checking in all day, to see how you did. :)
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I'm thinking more and more that I need to sign up for some kind of race. It sounds like a blast!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the Colour me Rad especially as you are still recovering from a injury.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    I highly recommend signing up for a race! For one, it's just simply fun. But it's also a great goal to work towards, which helps with motivation on rough days. And now I can look back at it as an accomplishment, which is nice too.

My foot was very sore after the race yesterday though. I applied lots of ice packs, and though I very much wanted to go for a run again today, I resisted the temptation. There was no pain at any point during the race, which is great, but I've finally learned that doing too much too soon will make it a lot worse.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    How is everyone? How is the food Dragon1ady?

Not ran since last week as I've got a bad stomach bug. hopefully will be better to run on Thursday. I've got my colour Run in 4 weeks but only on W5d2 so looks like I'll be finishing after my run.
  • dragon1ady
    Options

The food is great. I wish there was less of it... :bigsmile:

I've been very bad at keeping track and logging properly. I'm trying to get better at that.
  • FakingFitness
    Options

The food is great. I wish there was less of it... :bigsmile:

I've been very bad at keeping track and logging properly. I'm trying to get better at that.

HAHA I think she might have meant 'foot' - but if not... my food is good too! :))

I finished W8W2 today... almost there...
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    LOL! Ah, the FOOT!

The foot is better. Still not running on it aside from Color Me Rad, and it does seem to steadily improve. Slowly but steadily... I am very impatient for it to heal fully!
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have been bad about running the last week or so--I was on vacation the week before that and got a couple runs in, but nothing stellar. Since I got back I've started weight training and have had a hard time fitting in both. I'm hoping to get a run in this evening, though!
  • MelissaDoc
    MelissaDoc Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is the first time that I am posting in this group but I have been following it for a while. I am currently on W5D2.

This week has been so much harder than the previous weeks, and I have been walking more on my free runs. I know it has a lot to do with the heat and humidity, but I still feel like i failed. I am still happy that I did them, just a little mad at myself for not pushing through and that min/mile is around 14 min.

I think that I am going to repeat this week, because I'd rather not risk injury, just frustrated.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    LOL! Ah, the FOOT!

The foot is better. Still not running on it aside from Color Me Rad, and it does seem to steadily improve. Slowly but steadily... I am very impatient for it to heal fully!

Sorry It was the Foot - blaming being ill for the bad spelling. I'm glad you are getting there with it.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    This is the first time that I am posting in this group but I have been following it for a while. I am currently on W5D2.

This week has been so much harder than the previous weeks, and I have been walking more on my free runs. I know it has a lot to do with the heat and humidity, but I still feel like i failed. I am still happy that I did them, just a little mad at myself for not pushing through and that min/mile is around 14 min.

I think that I am going to repeat this week, because I'd rather not risk injury, just frustrated.

I've found the same with W5 - I had to stop D2 early because of the rain but glad as I was struggling with it. Hopefully bad to it tomorrow night.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am mid-Week 5 and did really well on session 1, ran for 10-minutes without stopping during the second freeform but was fairly burnt by the last one and managed a few two-minute runs. Unfortunately on session 2, I was struggling and got pretty dizzy and wobbly. I think it was a combination of heat, a wee bit of hypoglycemia, and probably some dehydration as it was pretty hot. I did muscle through the whole session though since after walking for a bit I felt better. I am hoping to go out Sat early morning before the heat kicks up and run the last two freeforms through. I have promised myself a new Kindle Fire as a present if I can do the 5k finale.

ETA: Too bad some of us don't live close to each other, we could possibly run together and be our own zombie-team. I even have a license plate holder that says "zombie escape vehicle" on it.
  • QJ2013
    QJ2013 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I did it! Completed Week 8 and "ran" the whole thing! (I am doing this on the elliptical due to my foot issues). Now I'm seriously thinking about going back and starting over from the beginning and actually running outside to see how my foot will hold up. I'm almost 15 lbs lighter and obviously in better shape cardio-wise than I was when I hurt it. I think I need to replace my shoes before I do that, but I'd love to be able to really run a 5K.

***Note: someone had mentioned earlier that this run starts right off with no warm up. Thanks for that tip. I did a few minutes warmup before I started the mission. Also, the ending is a little confusing. There are a couple of points where you think "Am I done? Am I supposed to still be running?" Without giving anything away, remember the mission is not over until that computer voice says "Mission Complete." I'm not sure if you're still supposed to be running at that point, but I was and was starting to wonder. Just FYI.

Way to go DragonLady! I agree about signing up for a run. I started all this so I can run the Pretty Muddy with my friends in October. I'm nervous but motivated. Also, since it's a mud run, I think there's a little less focus on your time. Right? (please say yes).

AngryJake...I am right there with you. The only Presidential Fitness thing I could always do was the toe touch. I am flexible if not fast!

Going to download the next Zombies, Run! app. Why is it that I will run away from imaginary zombies but could never care less before? Crazy how my brain works!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    I did it! Completed Week 8 and "ran" the whole thing! (I am doing this on the elliptical due to my foot issues). Now I'm seriously thinking about going back and starting over from the beginning and actually running outside to see how my foot will hold up. I'm almost 15 lbs lighter and obviously in better shape cardio-wise than I was when I hurt it. I think I need to replace my shoes before I do that, but I'd love to be able to really run a 5K.

***Note: someone had mentioned earlier that this run starts right off with no warm up. Thanks for that tip. I did a few minutes warmup before I started the mission. Also, the ending is a little confusing. There are a couple of points where you think "Am I done? Am I supposed to still be running?" Without giving anything away, remember the mission is not over until that computer voice says "Mission Complete." I'm not sure if you're still supposed to be running at that point, but I was and was starting to wonder. Just FYI.

Way to go DragonLady! I agree about signing up for a run. I started all this so I can run the Pretty Muddy with my friends in October. I'm nervous but motivated. Also, since it's a mud run, I think there's a little less focus on your time. Right? (please say yes).

AngryJake...I am right there with you. The only Presidential Fitness thing I could always do was the toe touch. I am flexible if not fast!

Going to download the next Zombies, Run! app. Why is it that I will run away from imaginary zombies but could never care less before? Crazy how my brain works!

Well done on completing Week 8. Hope you enjoy the Zombie run app. Mud runs tend not to worry so much about times - you may get the 'elite' who want to finish in a certain time but most people are there to complete the run and 'have fun'.

Well this Runner 5 is spending lots of time in Abels sick bay. Got Gastroenteritis so not be able to run but hopefully (fingers crossed) I will be up to a Parkrun tomorrow and then back to Abel on sunday to redo w5d2.
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    I did it!

3:46 PM, Today
    S1-B24: 5k Run
    This is it. Your 5k run to Bert Airfield. Time to prove yourself.
    Distance: 3.89 mi
    Duration: 53:02
    Average Speed: 4.4 mi/h
    Average Pace: 13:38 min/mi

I am an official Abel training camp graduate!