• dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

And welcome to the Abel Running Camp Alumni Association. :smile:
  • nytefalle
    nytefalle Posts: 63
    Options
    I've been gone for SO LONG!!! I am working outside the house again after two weeks of baking for farmer's markets. I spent so much time just getting food ready, I was too tired to think of running. Then I got a position in a bakery with the most irregular hours known to man. I couldn't motivate myself to run early in the morning & flaked out after work. Seriously, I only have 2 weeks before I finish the program! Ugh.

In all of this, I did have the Color & Glow 5K on the 22nd. Due to the mechanics of the "race", I wasn't able to run more than the first mile or so. It was a nighttime race through a farm/battlefield, complete with hills, dirt roads, and rocks. My major accomplishment was that I didn't turn an ankle. The lighting was provided only by glow necklaces along the ground and by the end, I'm sure the first several waves of runners already cleared them off the path.

Massive jumbles of people and strollers spanned the entire width of the track and after that mile, I got tired of asking people to make a hole. After the first color station, traffic literally came to a halt as people stopped in the tent set up with black lights to take pictures without a thought to anyone behind them. It was my slowest 5K ever with a time of 59:00.

Despite all that & zero training, I signed up for a Color Me Rad on July 13th when I got home, hoping that I'd at least make good eating decisions. At least I'll be able to see where I'm going for the next one :D
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    That sounds disappointing... Glad you signed up for Color me Rad as well! It was a blast!

I went in the first wave of runners, and there was no traffic or crowding until after the finish line. Only thing is, they don't time anyone, so if you want to know your time you have to take care of that yourself. I put my phone in a ziploc bag and used Runtastic for that.

And welcome back. :drinker:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I did it!

3:46 PM, Today
    S1-B24: 5k Run
    This is it. Your 5k run to Bert Airfield. Time to prove yourself.
    Distance: 3.89 mi
    Duration: 53:02
    Average Speed: 4.4 mi/h
    Average Pace: 13:38 min/mi

I am an official Abel training camp graduate!

WELL DONE and good luck with the Zombies!!
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Welcome back to Abel, nytefalle. :)
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I’m new here. I am starting Week 2, day 1 today.

I was previously doing the C25K app by Zen labs got into about week 3, had an injury & had to stop for a few weeks. I started up the C25K app again, but just wasn’t feeling it. I heard about this one & decided to give it a try. I absolutely love it, the characters, etc. just draw you in & keep you motivated to do it again.

In anticipation of the program completion and to keep myself accountable I have committed to running the Go Dirty Girl 5k & obstacle course in October. There is another one also planned, but my friend hasn’t let me in on the details of that one yet.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    Welcome to Abel, asp415! Stay safe out there. :smile:
  • asp415
    Options
    Welcome to Abel, asp415! Stay safe out there. :smile:

Thank you..
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I don't get to check in here enough since my hard drive quit on my PC. My fiance is off work for the summer so I don't get on his often lol. I did get my gait assessed and was told I am indeed neutral and that my feet are perfect so finding a shoe won't be hard. She recommended Mizuno WAve Rider 16 or Brooks Glycerin 10 for me. I tried both on and plan on going with Mizuno when I get paid next Friday.

I've been doing p90x and running 3 days a week. I'm going to start training for a half, I want to do the Biggest Loser Half Marathon on Oct 20. The training program on the website is 15 weeks so I should be able to!
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    The Wave Rider 16 are what I have! They are great! :heart:

I am curious about the Glycerin 10 now though... I tried the Brooks Ghost in the store where I bought my Wave Riders and liked them, but I liked the Mizunos more. If you run on hard surfaces a lot (I run on pavement and streets), the weird heel design is surprisingly effective for padding.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Welcome to Abel Asp415.

Might have a look at the wave riders next - I have brooks ghosts at moment.
  • msuspartan10
    msuspartan10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!
    I finally graduated to week 3. I feel like it's a big jump from week two to week three. I've been able to complete them so far but made the mistake of running one of the missions with my BF last weekend. My current jogging speed is equivalent to his walking speed and he got frustrated and I got frustrated and just UGH. Probably a good reason for us not to exercise together yet lol
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    My husband and I tried going for a run together once. Once. Same thing happened ot us as to you, and we haven't tried since. Now we do it separately, and it's actually very nice but in different way. We decide we're going to go for a run, we get ready together, check our Zombie apps together, leave together, then at the end of the driveway he turns one direction, I turn in the other, and we meet back at the house again afterward and compare progress.

So we do zombie running together. Just not TOGETHER. :tongue:
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    DragonLady, that sounds like a good plan! I have a couple of friends that I run with because we keep similar pace, etc., but I would get super frustrated running with my husband. Usually when I run with friends, though, I don't use the app.

Have any of you guys tried minimalist shoes/barefoot running?
  • asp415
    Options
    Welcome to Abel Asp415.

Might have a look at the wave riders next - I have brooks ghosts at moment.

Thank you.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    Have any of you guys tried minimalist shoes/barefoot running?

On pavement and streets? :huh: Nah.

Particularly not during 100+ summer days.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Very quiet on here!! Have we all left Abel for pastures new?

Managed to get back on track today and decided to brave the heat to complete W5 day2.

It seems to be the humidity that affects me more than the heat and it was quite nice today as it was dusk and a bit of a breeze - temp still in the 20.
  • sarannakitten
    Options
    My husband and I tried going for a run together once. Once. Same thing happened ot us as to you, and we haven't tried since. Now we do it separately, and it's actually very nice but in different way. We decide we're going to go for a run, we get ready together, check our Zombie apps together, leave together, then at the end of the driveway he turns one direction, I turn in the other, and we meet back at the house again afterward and compare progress.

So we do zombie running together. Just not TOGETHER. :tongue:

Same with my sister and I...she is ahead of me on the 5K training. So, we try to not run the same route at the park. So far, so good :)
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    No, but my computer did.

To go into detail: I moved the wifi adapter from my old working computer into a new shiny spiffy one to set it up, and then spent the entire weekend trying to fix self-inflicted problems caused by a combination of impatience and "I wonder what will happen if I do this?"-mentality.

I'm still here. Just not from home until I get the new Operating System working properly.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I went with the Wave Riders, the aruba blue ones with pink accents. Lol they are super loud!! Im still unsire but i think good choice, can't wait to run in them tomorrow yay! I almost.got Asic Gel Cumulus imstead but was set on Mizuno lol