5k Training thoughts

Options
1121314151618»

Replies

• lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bah! I have slacked in my Zombies Run running! I've been running with other people and I just use a tracking app when I do that, so no storyline. Tomorrow is a lifting day, but I'm hoping to make it out for a run either tomorrow or Friday evening.
  • KurtK1970
    KurtK1970 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know that I've seen it mentioned on here, but how did you guys handle the huge transition from week 2 to week 3?
    I plan on re-starting the 5k app in the next few weeks, but I am really not optimistic about the huge leap in running time between those two weeks in the app. Going from 30 seconds of running to 5 minutes seems a little severe. Severe enough that I'm worried it's going to put me off of the app. :(
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I guess I take the term "free form run" seriously. :-) The Doc tells us to run when we can and walk if we have to so I just push myself...but not too much. Try running a minute and walking 30 seconds or whatever you can do during the five minute runs. It's all good!
  • KurtK1970
    KurtK1970 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Amerielle. :)
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I may just repeat that week a few times to get better at it.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have repeated weeks along the way too. I figure the goal is to increase our running distance and speed, not finish the app in exactly 8 weeks. No shame in listening to your body and not pushing yourself too far. :-)
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Something I read on the forums once & has stuck w/me is to just try it. You won't know until you actually try it if you will need to repeat or not. I keep this in mind every week & so far I have surprised myself. I'm doing week 6 day 2 tomorrow. When the week 3 leap happened I did 2min run 1min walk & then remembered what I read on the forum & just tried it non-stop & I did it. You will surprise yourself & remember if you're out of breath, can't talk, feel like dying then slow it down. Speed will come later. You will be amazed @ how far you could run. This app is wonderful.
  • Kaytee86
    Kaytee86 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 2, Day 1 after taking a few days because I was too busy with work. The running part was fine. I could easily handle 30 seconds, however those heel lifts made me wince. Those are not cool.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 2, Day 1 after taking a few days because I was too busy with work. The running part was fine. I could easily handle 30 seconds, however those heel lifts made me wince. Those are not cool.

They may or may not be cool.... They're Super Cool if you take into consideration that they'll save you from achilles issues, shin splints and PF! :)
  • Kaytee86
    Kaytee86 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I know they are good for me and I did all of them. Doesn't mean I have to like them. lol.
  • FakingFitness
    Options
    I know they are good for me and I did all of them. Doesn't mean I have to like them. lol.

Ha! Well, you're a better person than me.
    I learned the hard way how cool they are.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

plus there is the embarrassment factor of doing them when outside. There always seems to be more people around when I do them.
  • FakingFitness
    Options

plus there is the embarrassment factor of doing them when outside. There always seems to be more people around when I do them.

lol right! When I had to do them I was in the park and there were people everywhere.... then there was the skipping. hahah
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I always try to get people to do Zombies 5k lol. I'm on Season 2 of the regular app now and I'm like a runner junkie! I'm up to 4.5 mile runs this week. I did 4 mile runs last week so it shouldn't be too tough a transition I don't think. I'm doing the Biggest Loser half marathon training schedule and following it as close as I can. Sometimes I have to amend it for work. I'm planning to sign up for the Biggest Loser half marathon in October whoop whoop LOL