Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    This morning I did W6D2. During the last 10 minute run I felt like I was really warmed up and at a comfortable pace and could keep on going. Bring on Friday for D3, I'm ready.

Sounds like you're on the same C25K as me (Ease Into 5k)
    W5D2 down tonight
    4.81km in 33:24 for an average of 6:56min/km including WU/CD
    Run Pace 5:50min/km
    Walk Pace 8:23min/km

Can't believe I came down below 6min/km which means when I finally get up to the 30 min run I should be able to hit 5 if I can keep the pace there.

Well done to everyone still going
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I did W5D3 today. I woke up thinking about it, and I couldn't wait to get going. I had no problems and I just listened to my music and planned my day.

Excited for week 6!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Can't wait for Wk8D2 tonight! I made a pink and green tutu for my 5K in 17 days, I am tempted to wear it to see what it's like to run in :)

... Question - does anyone run in the dark/dawn/dusk? I am tempted to get up and run in the am when it's dark out because it's so much cooler - but scared of tripping/getting run over/deer/etc.... I would buy blinky flashy lights but I'm still scared!
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Can't wait for Wk8D2 tonight! I made a pink and green tutu for my 5K in 17 days, I am tempted to wear it to see what it's like to run in :)

... Question - does anyone run in the dark/dawn/dusk? I am tempted to get up and run in the am when it's dark out because it's so much cooler - but scared of tripping/getting run over/deer/etc.... I would buy blinky flashy lights but I'm still scared!

I run early am, but i drive to the local high school track and they usually have at least 1 set of lights on, so visibility isn't a problem...when I first started, I ran from my house and downtown is a couple of blocks away...lighted pretty well except for 1 block, where I missed the sidewalk change in elevation and faceplanted. That's when I decided to take it to the track. When I get into week 7, I am gonna start running along the roads and have considered using a headlamp (although my wife thinks it will look ridiculous).

oops.. i missed something...traffic is real light and no deer, although I always seemed to run into raccoons.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I always run at night, but we don't have deer running around here. I just run on the side walk or in a lane that is against traffic (so I can see it coming) and always have mace in my hand just in case anybody/anything was to come at me. Just try to run somewhere with as many street lights as possible!
  • badwolfIO
    badwolfIO Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I run at 5am (because it's the only time I can fit in my schedule) or after the kids are in bed. I think it's wise to wear light colored clothes and something reflective. Although, I'm pretty sure I wore black and grey this morning. Yikes.
    I bought the hottest pink sneakers ever and they do a good job of showing up. I have reflective arm/ankle bands that I often use. They're pretty easy because they're just velcro and you strap them on. I also run with my best friend, Callie the Rottweiler/Retriever. She is dark and I like to put reflective bands on her legs or collar. In the rain and the winter she gets to wear a very bright jacket.
    As far as injury. I avoid the trail near myself not only for safety but more importantly because I can't see where my feet are going. My luck I'll come home with raccoon droppings on my shoes.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options

I almost always run at night. If I run during the morning or afternoon, my runs are never as good.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options

I run at 5am because like badwolf that's the only time I have. I carry a flashlight cause I'm a big wimp! I passed my first other runner yesterday (after months of running) and seriously had no idea she was running towards me till she got close, freaked me out! She was wearing dark clothes and no light. I live in an area where everyone has an acre so it's sort of suburb and sort of country....I like to know what's around when there is a noise so I carry a little LED flashlight with a strap (Costco) and then I can "look around" if I hear something. My husband runs at night after I'm asleep, with nothing....he got too close to the edge and twisted his ankle (he has weak ankles) and fell in a ditch....I woke up the next morning to a kitchen full of bloody papertowels and bandaid wrappers...I went back into the bedroom to make sure he was ok! He was but no running for 2 weeks because of his sprained ankle. Some people run with headlamps but I couldn't make mine comfy so I opted for the flashlight.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    sorry double post!
  • madmiss
    Options

I run early am, but i drive to the local high school track and they usually have at least 1 set of lights on, so visibility isn't a problem...when I first started, I ran from my house and downtown is a couple of blocks away...lighted pretty well except for 1 block, where I missed the sidewalk change in elevation and faceplanted. That's when I decided to take it to the track. When I get into week 7, I am gonna start running along the roads and have considered using a headlamp (although my wife thinks it will look ridiculous).

oops.. i missed something...traffic is real light and no deer, although I always seemed to run into raccoons.

I am sorry, I am laughing at the image of you faceplanting :) no offense... Racoons huh? We have killer armadillos!
    I always run at night, but we don't have deer running around here. I just run on the side walk or in a lane that is against traffic (so I can see it coming) and always have mace in my hand just in case anybody/anything was to come at me. Just try to run somewhere with as many street lights as possible!

Mace - that's a good idea! My friend runs with a gun and a bag of dog treats.
    I run at 5am (because it's the only time I can fit in my schedule) or after the kids are in bed. I think it's wise to wear light colored clothes and something reflective. Although, I'm pretty sure I wore black and grey this morning. Yikes.
    I bought the hottest pink sneakers ever and they do a good job of showing up. I have reflective arm/ankle bands that I often use. They're pretty easy because they're just velcro and you strap them on. I also run with my best friend, Callie the Rottweiler/Retriever. She is dark and I like to put reflective bands on her legs or collar. In the rain and the winter she gets to wear a very bright jacket.
    As far as injury. I avoid the trail near myself not only for safety but more importantly because I can't see where my feet are going. My luck I'll come home with raccoon droppings on my shoes.

I'm pretty sure I would be terrified if I saw a fluorescent dog running towards me! What a sight that must be :)

I run at 5am because like badwolf that's the only time I have. I carry a flashlight cause I'm a big wimp! I passed my first other runner yesterday (after months of running) and seriously had no idea she was running towards me till she got close, freaked me out! She was wearing dark clothes and no light. I live in an area where everyone has an acre so it's sort of suburb and sort of country....I like to know what's around when there is a noise so I carry a little LED flashlight with a strap (Costco) and then I can "look around" if I hear something. My husband runs at night after I'm asleep, with nothing....he got too close to the edge and twisted his ankle (he has weak ankles) and fell in a ditch....I woke up the next morning to a kitchen full of bloody papertowels and bandaid wrappers...I went back into the bedroom to make sure he was ok! He was but no running for 2 weeks because of his sprained ankle. Some people run with headlamps but I couldn't make mine comfy so I opted for the flashlight.

Your poor hubby!!! That's what I'd be afraid of, falling off the road and getting hurt - we have lots of evil tree roots in the ashphalt by our road...

--- You guys are all very brave!!! (and some of these stories are very funny). I live in a quite subdivision with street lights, but I tend run along the main road as it has a sort of shoulder (because I don't want the neighbors to see me making a food of myself) lol... but we are out in the middle of NOWHERE and it's very dark "out there"... My compression socks reflect and I have hella-bright sneakers too :) But I also like my music really loud... sigh... Seems my option is run around the neighborhood with a flashlight and reflecty things if I am going to run in the morning? It's 1.1 miles around the sub division, guess I just have to do it 3 times!
  • joedfro
    Options
    I know it's bad, but I like my music really loud too...track has been safe and there is usually only 1 older gentleman out doing 100 intervals while I am there....

I have been chased by a guy who thought i was sneaking out of his apartment while he was getting home during week 1, and...I missed Monday morning run due to a thunderstorm and decided to run it in the evening. When I got to the track, there was a junior high football game going on. At this time, I was already committed and said **** it. I will never do it again, over my music i could hear the crowd cheering (over my music) and doing the wave on BOTH sides of the field as i ran by...ended up running warmup and cooldown because of it.

I am almost positive I am on some local facebook pages as the old fatty running in a circle
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    @joe - that's hilarious :) And good on you for doing it anyway!

So... I've felt like my runs were horrible from week 6 through week 9. Running 30 minutes straight was just awful and despite running the whole time, I don't run fast enough to meet 3.1 miles so I was getting frustrated.

Yesterday I decided to do the couch to 10k (starting in week 9, where the 5k training left off) and I POWERED THROUGH 4 miles!!! It was the best run I feel like I've had, maybe ever. And felt rewarding. My lungs just need that one minute break between running segments and it's enough to get my breathing steadied, wipe the sweat off my face and go full boar for the next run segment.

I'm hoping it keeps getting better, it looks like the intervals are for longer runs at a time but depending on how that goes, I might just focus on doing W9D1 over and over until I can improve my speed a bit :) I loved it *that* much :D
  • joedfro
    Options
    @joe - that's hilarious :) And good on you for doing it anyway!

So... I've felt like my runs were horrible from week 6 through week 9. Running 30 minutes straight was just awful and despite running the whole time, I don't run fast enough to meet 3.1 miles so I was getting frustrated.

Yesterday I decided to do the couch to 10k (starting in week 9, where the 5k training left off) and I POWERED THROUGH 4 miles!!! It was the best run I feel like I've had, maybe ever. And felt rewarding. My lungs just need that one minute break between running segments and it's enough to get my breathing steadied, wipe the sweat off my face and go full boar for the next run segment.

I'm hoping it keeps getting better, it looks like the intervals are for longer runs at a time but depending on how that goes, I might just focus on doing W9D1 over and over until I can improve my speed a bit :) I loved it *that* much :D

Good For You!!! Whatever works and please keep us informed how it life goes past C25K for us still in the program..I am already on the hunt for some type of structured program that tells me what to do cause that seems to work really well for me.

:)
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    Pink - 4 MILES! AWESOME!

Joe - Good for you for sticking to it!!!!! I can't believe you were chased!?!?!?!?!

Madmiss - I only put one earbud in because I need to hear (again, because I'm a huge wimp!) I like to run at 5am because none of the neighbors are up to see me. I really enjoy running outside but I'm super excited that the treadmill is getting delivered tomorrow so I can crank up the music & drop the flashlight :laugh:
  • madmiss
    Options
    Joe - I would be terrified to be chased! Did it make you run faster?

Pink - that's awesome!!!! You go!!!!

Mama - don't drop the flashlight on your foot ;) I bet you will miss outside once you've gone inside though ;)

So today, I decided that I was going to try and run a full 5k just so I could stop stressing about actually being able to run the 5k in 17 days!!!! To preface, I went to a natural running clinic on Monday and learned so much, but also felt like I'd gotten run over by a truck!

Today I turn off my ringer, pump up the music, and set out on the exact route that I will be running in the race. I cannot believe how much the tips, simple arm movement and lean angle - and some dynamic stretching - made a difference. If I wanted to go faster I could (which I didn't, cause I didn't want to get tired out) but things didn't hurt! Well new muscles did - but it was amazing. THE BEST RUN I have ever had. And you know what, I did it! 3.1 miles, and I didn't look at the clock but once, right at the end because I was running out of road and wanted to make sure I made it ;)

so to sum up, instead of running 28 minutes, I ran 3.11 awesome, awesome miles in 42.06! Now I know I can do it, I have a time to beat, I have renewed hope, and I am now unstoppable... Well until tomorrow when I likely won't be able to walk ;)
  • joedfro
    Options
    Thats awesome miss!!! I don't think there are any running clinics around me...I should video it, though, my wife says i'm upright and knees high like i'm stepping over baby gates...

I heard him yelling at me, turned around and pulled my plugs out and he said..sorry, looks like your just running..lol. it was first week and i'm glad he figured out what i was up to or he def could of caught me.
  • CherylP67
    Options

I absolutely LOVE running when the sun is rising, it's so peaceful and I get my best thinking done then. It sets my day up for good things. I sometimes run at night when I get home from work, around 8 pm. I prefer the morning, more runners are out and less cars and it's full on daylight by the time I get home.

I bought a small clip on flashlight like what's pictured, I attach it to my sports bra. This photo is a lot of 25 for $17 that is a heck of a deal which I may look into buying.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/25pcs-lot-RA-Mini-1-LED-Flashlight-Carabiner-Torch-Clip-Keychain-Camping-Hiking-Free-Shipping/733023412.html
  • CherylP67
    Options
    Hopefully this works, my first time posting a picture. I took this yesterday morning right before I started my 20 minute run, which is why it's a little blurry. This is part of the reason I love to run in the morning.

242tkt4.jpg
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Beautiful, Cheryl!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    MadMiss - GREAT RUN!!!! You did it!!! You should be sooo proud of yourself!

Cheryl - I love running when the sun is rising too! I just hate starting when there are still stars in the sky:frown: Beautiful picture!