Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Going to do Week 2 Day 3 today the last day I did I completed 1.8 miles in 31 min. I'm loving it!
  • josesel
    josesel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Week 6 Day 3 over. 2 more weeks to go.
  • PermissionGranted
    PermissionGranted Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I completed w2d3 today! Looking forward to next week.
  • josesel
    Options
    Week 7 Day 1 done. Longest run yet..!!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    w7d3. even though i had a whole weekend to rest, i was exhausted today. i don't think i've had such a hard time before.i'm entering my last week now, and to be honest 5 more minutes won't make a big difference (i hope).It will not be 5k, that i know,so i will continue running a little more each week until i officially reach the 5k without including my warm-up and cool down time.
  • PermissionGranted
    Options
    DING! W3d1 completed and it has been my hardest run since starting the program. I kept seeing horror stories about this week so I refused to commit the running and rest times to memory. I just waited for the DING to guide me. Keeping the pace steady and not watching the time helped a ton. Gearing up for w3d2!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    W6D2 of 5K to 10K. As usual, I did walk on some of the hills.

Stats: 6.22 miles in 78:11 for a pace of 12:34. That's fast for me.
  • josesel
    Options
    Week 7 Day 2 done. Slow pace. Won't be able to finish 5k in 30 mins. But will continue this pace till I complete the program and then work on improving the pace.
  • jennypapage
    Options
    w8d1 done. i barely reach the 4k and that's including my warm-up and cool down time. the way i see it , in order to run 5k it will take me about 45'-50' .It's a bit disappointing, but looking at how far i've come, one can't really complain ,can they?
  • NancyN795
    Options
    w8d1 done. i barely reach the 4k and that's including my warm-up and cool down time. the way i see it , in order to run 5k it will take me about 45'-50' .It's a bit disappointing, but looking at how far i've come, one can't really complain ,can they?

Don't be disappointed. Just finishing the program is an accomplishment, even if you aren't running 5K. I was amazed when I got to where I could run for 30 minutes without a break.

A lot of people just continue on their own to stretch the distance and/or increase their speed and I wish I was the sort of person who could do that. Without a program to follow, I tend to slack off. But, I really wanted to be able to say that I could run a full 5K distance (doing it in 30 minutes has never been my goal). So, I used the rundouble app, which does a distance based version (you have to do it outside, using GPS) and did the whole program all over again. Maybe that wasn't necessary, but I had stopped running for a few weeks and outside has hills and weather and I just felt better starting over.
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    josesel wrote: »
    Week 7 Day 2 done. Slow pace. Won't be able to finish 5k in 30 mins. But will continue this pace till I complete the program and then work on improving the pace.
    That is it exactly - do the 30 minutes of running, then worry about your pace. Or don't. Just run.
  • jennypapage
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »

Don't be disappointed. Just finishing the program is an accomplishment, even if you aren't running 5K. I was amazed when I got to where I could run for 30 minutes without a break.

A lot of people just continue on their own to stretch the distance and/or increase their speed and I wish I was the sort of person who could do that. Without a program to follow, I tend to slack off. But, I really wanted to be able to say that I could run a full 5K distance (doing it in 30 minutes has never been my goal). So, I used the rundouble app, which does a distance based version (you have to do it outside, using GPS) and did the whole program all over again. Maybe that wasn't necessary, but I had stopped running for a few weeks and outside has hills and weather and I just felt better starting over.

thanks.i'm planning on increasing the running time by 3 minutes every week until i manage to run the full 5k. Speed is not really my plan either, i just feel like i have to see this to the end to feel the accomplishment.
  • rickc74
    rickc74 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »

thanks.i'm planning on increasing the running time by 3 minutes every week until i manage to run the full 5k. Speed is not really my plan either, i just feel like i have to see this to the end to feel the accomplishment.
    There are definitely two big accomplishments at the end of the program. One is running for 30 minutes. I was so pumped when I got there. But I wanted the full 5k. Hitting that was even better :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Great Work and Positive Attitudes.

When I started running I didn't worry about pace/km other than not going so hard that it caused breathing problems. Went slow and added a little distance or time every week.

Some weeks I could see some new landmark (the building - lamppost) around the corner and would pick that as my new turn around point. The Riverbank Trail I started running on has lots of twists and turns as you follow the River so it was easy to get lost in the scenery and sometimes I would run right past my previous landmark without trying. Other weeks I would look at my previous times and set an alarm on my watch for a slightly longer halfway time and run until it chirped then turned for home. Both methods worked for me.

Once I was comfortable at 30 minutes I found that the transition to 60 minutes was fast and comfortable. All I did was add 1minute to the outbound portion of each run. 15 runs and I was at 60 minutes. That is when I had the confidence to join the local Running Club.
  • PermissionGranted
    Options
    I don't think that my post was saved yesterday...Either way I completed W3D2 yesterday. There were moments when I wanted to look at the countdown for running but I fought the urge. I need to work on my breathing during the run. Any suggestions? I did read somewhere that taking shorter strides will help to conserve energy so maybe that will help as well. Looking forward to hearing from you all!
  • jennypapage
    Options
    Make sure you breathe through your belly, and try to keep a steady rhythm inhaling and exhaling.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    A couple of co-workers talked me into running at my national park yesterday. It was 94 with a feel like temp of 98- miserable. I survived. It is very disheartening to look at current pace in comparison to previous runs on the same course. Yesterdays time for the 3 mile Strava segment was 10 full minutes slower than my best time for the same segment. I know there are a lot of contributing factors, but still makes me sad. Got to get back there!
  • jennypapage
    Options
    w8d2 done. i'll be finishing the program next week and will continue increasing time and distance by myself for a while. after i reach the 5k mark, i will continue with the c210k i think and pickup where i left off.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    I started out this morning to do my final 5K to 10K run - Week 6, Day 3 of the rundouble program. But, I ended up bailing after a little over a mile and rejoining my husband for our walk. I came to the realization that I just haven't been enjoying running lately, as the runs have gotten so long. I used to look forward to the days when I "got to" run, but lately I've been dreading the days when I "have to" (or am "supposed to") run.

So, on Monday I'm going to drive to town so I can do a full 10K run on fairly flat ground (in/near Boyd Lake State Park). Then, I'm going to cut back drastically on the distance I'm running. I want to get back to where I enjoy it. I'll probably want to do the 5K to 10K program again next spring, because I still have the goal of running in the Bolder Boulder next Memorial Day.
  • josesel
    Options
    Week 7 Day 3 done. One more week to go.