Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• PermissionGranted
    PermissionGranted Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My lungs are now ready for the challenge! W2D1 completed today.
  • pdo27789
    pdo27789 Posts: 120 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    W1D2 went well. 3.6km

I lost 290 calories according to zen labs app - not sure how accurate that is. I've adjusted my goals to add about 100 calories a day, for now. I'll see what the scale says on Sunday. I don't want to lose weight too fast.

I need to do some reading on breathing. I tried a few different things today, but found it distracting. If anyone has tips about breathing, feel free to message me, or post here. I don't want to hijack the thread though.

I wanted to add, feel free to add me as a friend. I have some great friends already, but more running friends would be nice too! My diary is open, but a work in progress. As am I :)
  • brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Trying to start again after a knee injury. I did week 1 day 1 today. We will see how this goes.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    pdo27789 wrote: »
    W1D2 went well. 3.6km

I lost 290 calories according to zen labs app - not sure how accurate that is. I've adjusted my goals to add about 100 calories a day, for now. I'll see what the scale says on Sunday. I don't want to lose weight too fast.

I need to do some reading on breathing. I tried a few different things today, but found it distracting. If anyone has tips about breathing, feel free to message me, or post here. I don't want to hijack the thread though.

I wanted to add, feel free to add me as a friend. I have some great friends already, but more running friends would be nice too! My diary is open, but a work in progress. As am I :)

1)breathe through your mouth in combo with your nose.
    2)breathe through your belly, not your chest
    3)try to have a rhythm, like...breathe in, step step step, breathe out
    4)make sure you have a good posture so you don't block your diaphragm.
    that's about it really
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Took a week out , just completed week 6 day 3, 25 mins run straight, as i got half way through i felt like i was running on air, such a great feeling!!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Week 5, Day 2 completed today, no problems. Next is the 20-minute run so I'm going to a park with a running trail so I can run somewhere fun that has 1/4 mile markers. Looking forward to it.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    pdo27789 wrote: »
    Besides, the shoes I bought are hideously neon blue and florescent yellow. Maybe I'll find matching pants lol Who designs this stuff anyway???

Back on topic, are running tights something I can buy at marks work warehouse? I live in a smaller town and won't get to "the city" until the weekend.
    Or are they an easy fitting thing I could buy on Amazon and not worry too much about perfect fit?

@pdo27789 You might be able to find some Running Tights at Marks or Wally World as @rusgolden mentioned. Ultimately a cheap pair will carry you through until you get to the Big City. I have to do a 3 hour Drive to get to a Community that has a Running Speciality store and a General Sporting Store. On page 244 I posted a Winter Clothing Guide and some Links to other resources for Dressing for winter.

I wouldn't buy online unless I had an existing pair/size to use as a ordering reference. Different manufactures have different sizes, some designs are true Tights and others are more Pant like with a looser fit.

Breathing is something that I never really think about to much.
    A simple concept to remember is most people go way to fast when they are getting into running - resulting in the " Gasping for Breath ". The simple rule is you should be able to hold a conversation with someone running beside you. I can't comment on inhale because I never pay attention to it, but my exhale always occurs over 2 foot strikes.

Great Progress everyone - Just hang in there and you will see it improve.
  • jennypapage
    Options
    c210k w10d3 completed.feeling a bit tired today, but i have 3 days to rest now,so i'll be good to go on monday.
  • pdo27789
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Breathing is something that I never really think about to much.
    A simple concept to remember is most people go way to fast when they are getting into running - resulting in the " Gasping for Breath ". The simple rule is you should be able to hold a conversation with someone running beside you. I can't comment on inhale because I never pay attention to it, but my exhale always occurs over 2 foot strikes.

Great Progress everyone - Just hang in there and you will see it improve.

Thank you. Luckily the weather warmed up enough that I can wait until the weekend.

Thanks for the breathing insight. I might have to slow down slightly. I can talk while at jogging speed, but I'm not sure I could cary on a conversation.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    w4d3, distance version yesterday. It was hard. I am very disheartened, but will keep pushing through.
    :|
  • pdo27789
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    w4d3, distance version yesterday. It was hard. I am very disheartened, but will keep pushing through.
    :|

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's the first day you switched to distance rather than time. Like anything else in life, if it were easy, it might be taken for granted.
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Just completed the 20 minutes run on W5D3! Only jogged at 3.5mph but I did it! :)
  • pdo27789
    Options
    Week 1 complete. This morning my breathing was better, I wasn't stiff afterwards, and my speed is up slightly :)

I'm looking forward to Monday to start week 2!
  • brant710
    Options
    I did wk1d2 this morning. Anyone else using a treadmill? I'm hopeful Sunday I can try running outside with the dog.
  • pdo27789
    Options
    brant710 wrote: »
    I did wk1d2 this morning. Anyone else using a treadmill? I'm hopeful Sunday I can try running outside with the dog.

Week 1 day 3 is the same as the first 2 days. The starting and stopping might drive your dog nuts.
    You know your dog better than I do obviously. Mine gets so excited running that he'll zig zag.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    brant710 wrote: »

These guys use a Treadmill - but in a very unique way.

We have 2 treadmills in our basement cardio gym - its such a Cave/pit that I can't stand to be in there so Haven't used them in a year.
  • brant710
    Options
    Did week 1 day 3 today. Another treadmill run but at least I did it.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I was invited by some friends to "run" the 7 mile loop around our local national park. I went along. I hung with one girl for about 3 miles of run a little walk a little, stop to stretch my sore calves a little, then told her go ahead and not worry about leaving me behind. I ended up finishing the 7 mile loop in 95 minutes, so 13:29 pace. Not bad.
  • jennypapage
    Options
    It's surpsrising how much you miss running when your schedule gets messed up. So i went for a 3 day mini vacation, missed my friday run (i did it on thursday instead), went back out today and i felt great. well rested and ready to do it. So, w11d1 of c210k done.
  • pdo27789
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Week two, day one complete. I feel better than I did last week! I had to push through the 4th run, but by the time the warmup came, I wanted to run more :)