Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    goldenday wrote: »
    I have never really run outdoors before- only treadmill running with an incline of 0.5, but I thought I would give it a go today in the local park/forest. It was windy, raining slightly and cold. I honestly struggled, but W7 D1 was completed (with a lot of paused walking breaks and I had to sit down twice.)

I think for me with outdoor running it would be best to start right from the beginning of week 1- it really just did feel so much more different than I expected. I did download the 10k app which I could use for that. I'm planning on running my first 10k In june, slightly worried if I will actually be able to complete it, but it would be mainly on roads and not muddy paths. Onwards and upwards I guess.

You have plenty of time to get ready for that 10k. Just keep running until then. Keep up the good work.

Thank you! That gives me hope ;)
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Week 5 day 2!
    I did a trail run today! I was nervous about going up and down hills.
    Afraid I couldn't do it.
    Not only did I do it, but I kept running after my timer hit cool down! Not for very long... I didn't want to mess with my progress with the program. But I could tell I could have run the whole dang thing.
    I'm so empowered! Next one is the end of week 5! Then just 9 more runs... insane!

@SierraFatToSkinny Welcome to the Darkside - The wonderful world of Trail Running.
    It's a completely different experience than Park Trails, sidewalks etc.
    Once bitten - twice hooked.
    Next thing you know you will be buying special Trail Shoes and after a few organized 5/10km Course Races will be looking for Trail Races. They are just so much fun.
    ... guess what I did today? Visited my local outdoors shop and looked at trail runners! They didn't carry anything larger than a 10.... I'm a 10.5. :(

Guys... I have a confession to make. I did my Week 5 Day 3.

Now... I know I'm supposed to take breaks. I had planned on it. But then my replacement exercise fell through and I ended up running.

And it was so easy! I'm just constantly amazed at how well this is going! My second 8 min run I looked at my phone expecting to have more that 3 mins left... I had just over 30 seconds left! So I decided to actually RUN instead of jog those 30 second. I practiced the "proper" running form that I've been researching and that I don't really get to use while jogging slowly. Midstep landing, kicking back, leaning forward some, and trying to land softly.

It was so nice! And also a reminder I have a ways to go before all my runs are actually runs and not just jogs. Lol.

Is it really so bad to run consecutively? It doesn't feel like it's bad....
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    W4D2, it was so much easier than Thursday, I didn't need to slow down (not that I go fast to start with, but still) and I wasn't staring at the clock the whole time :smiley: I'm actually looking forward to running again!
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I got my 5k race in today. It was the Shamrock Shuffle in Madison WI. My chip time was 31:54. I ended up doing my 5k210k training afterwards. It was a lot of fun. A fairly hilly course meant a lot of people walking that I had to dodge. At one point a lady with a jogging stroller totally blew by me too.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    ... guess what I did today? Visited my local outdoors shop and looked at trail runners! They didn't carry anything larger than a 10.... I'm a 10.5. :(
    Is it really so bad to run consecutively? It doesn't feel like it's bad....

@SierraFatToSkinny Yes she is hooked on trails and running, I have 2 trail shoes and 3 course shoes in rotation - Old, MidAge ( Race ) and Young. Rather than a generic sporting/outdoor shop try to find a Running Specific Store that does not pay sales commission. You stand a better chance at getting a good fit for your technique. As your speed-distance-technique change you might find that you have to change Shoe Styles, Drop, even Brands.

It's not that running consecutively is bad. As a general rule the Cardio-Respiratory system adjusts to exercise faster than the Muscular-Skeletal system. Which means that your bones, muscles, ligaments, cartilage etc need more time to adjust - grow - heal after being exposed to this new stress. That's why you will hear about Runners suffering from Stress Fractures of the lower leg. Too Much Too Fast = Injured. I had two calf strains last year, 1st one caused by overuse, 2nd one by not allowing it to heal fully.
    upsaluki wrote: »
    I got my 5k race in today. It was the Shamrock Shuffle in Madison WI. My chip time was 31:54. I ended up doing my 5k210k training afterwards. It was a lot of fun. A fairly hilly course meant a lot of people walking that I had to dodge. At one point a lady with a jogging stroller totally blew by me too.

@upsaluki Great Time for your 5K. We have all had to do the Dodge and Weave at events. Usually the organizers will ask that Walkers and Stroller Rollers move to the back at the start to reduce conflicts. There is always that special person at all events who doesn't listen. Imagine how hard it was for the Stroller Roller Lady to get through the traffic. A lesson that all runners need to learn - Someone is always faster than you.
  • agrima27
    agrima27 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Week 6 is done. I did better than I thought I would! Week 7 looks a little scary, but I will just slow it down if I need to.
  • sunryzer
    sunryzer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Week 6 Day 1 complete :smile:

The weather isn't too great at the moment so I'm on the treadmill.

Since week 5, I'm doing my Day 1 run intervals at 9.5kmph, Day 2 at 9.0kmph and Day 3 at 8.5kmph at with 6kmph walk intervals. Aiming to do a 5k in under 35 minutes by my next birthday (April) - an average speed of 8.6kmph - so I feel on track :smile:
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Half way done!
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Well done all!

I've ran another two 5K runs since graduating on Friday, still can't believe it!
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm apparently following a different C25K than y'all, but started my week 6 today.

I'm transitioning from regular shoes to a zero drop shoe as a part of a complete overhaul of my running mechanics. I thought maybe I should have waited until the program was over, but instead I'm just changing shoes mid workout. Trying to really push pace at the end of a run to make up for the short break in the middle.