May check in and chat - May all your weights go up

Options

Replies

• beacrys
    beacrys Posts: 72 Member
    Options

When I was hiking with the kids, I figured out what I want to do for cardio on non-lifting days. We were out at a state park that's about 5 minutes from where I work. I'm going to go there and run on the trails (or at least walk really fast up the hills) in the time I have between work and getting home in time for their bus. I just love hiking and being outside, but I don't really like running on the street, and walking in my neighborhood gets boring. I think this would be a good way for me to get some running in. Of course today is absolutely beautiful, but the kids have an after school activity that I previously volunteered to help with. Hopefully I can acutally do this later in the week!

I do this with my dogs every day. Long walks and hikes on the river and mountain trails. My stress buster. ENJOY!
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    each new month i tell myself i'm gonna start jumping in on this thread more but i always get so behind!!

LOVE THE TITLE!!! hahahahaha!! awesome!

Me, too Katemarcus! Staring with June I am dedicating myself to SL for Women. I have started and stopped SL so many times just messing around with it and doing great Mon and Tues but not so much the rest of the week and I am not getting anywhere like that. I am now into my 3rd fully committed week.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    P.S. Also got my navel pieced on my birthday, just to be badass. I never in a million years would have thought I WANTED to draw attention to my belly. But I like it so much better after lifting that I went for it.:drinker:

Okay, that's awesome. I had set a goal of 10 pullups and a handstand by next year, when I turn 40. But maybe I need to add a tattoo or a piercing on to that list. . .

I'm WAY too scared of tats. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE the piercing. Highly recommend.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

P.S. Also got my navel pieced on my birthday, just to be badass. I never in a million years would have thought I WANTED to draw attention to my belly. But I like it so much better after lifting that I went for it.:drinker:

I love this! :) I am running out of things to pierce, so my next "reward" (after the new rack) will be some more ink.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Round 2, workout 1 complete.

Squats: 125lbs 3x5
    Bench: 75lbs 3x5
    Rows: 95lbs 3x5

I'm doing 3x5 this time since the 5x5 was getting to be too much the last round. I'm excited to get this going again. :drinker:
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Round 2, workout 1 complete.

Squats: 125lbs 3x5
    Bench: 75lbs 3x5
    Rows: 95lbs 3x5

I'm doing 3x5 this time since the 5x5 was getting to be too much the last round. I'm excited to get this going again. :drinker:

Yay! Excited for you too!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting but due to vacay and having people over and having a massive graduation party at our house, haven't been able to post. But I've been reading and trying to keep up.

Y'all are doing great! Be posting more again soon now that things are getting back to normal!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

I love this! :) I am running out of things to pierce, so my next "reward" (after the new rack) will be some more ink.

Scared sh!tless of piercings I tell you but I have my next tat appointment booked for June 27 and the same artist is designing a piece for my ribs.....I'm thinking that will be my 2 year anniversary gift and the June 27 will be a late 18 month! I can't wait!!!! :bigsmile:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    P.S. Also got my navel pieced on my birthday, just to be badass. I never in a million years would have thought I WANTED to draw attention to my belly. But I like it so much better after lifting that I went for it.

Awesome!!! I got mine re-pierced in February since I was willing to rock the abs again!

Hmm.....:huh: running out of things to pierce you say?!? Wild woman :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm not into the ink (at least not on me, I love the artwork though) and I still have a few places on my "to pierce" list. I tell people that if I were to ever get a tattoo, it would be a lawnmower. One strategically placed lawnmower. :bigsmile:

Any way.....

Had a fun day at the gym. I went later than my normal time and the weight room was a little bit busier than I was used to, but it doesn't bother me any more. So it was A day. Or more like 2/3 A and some pull-ups and inverted rows. I'm kind of doing a deload/play around week so I wasn't really aiming for any certain weight today.

So I start with squats as normal. I do my body weight warm ups, then did some front squats with the bar. Then did a set @ 65 with the front squat, then a set @ 85. At that point, my wrist was not having any of the standard front squat grip so I switched back to low bar back squats. I did 1x5 @ 95, 105, 115, and 125. During the whole time I kept seeing this old guy watching me....Hmmm. He didn't say anything so I just went on my with my work.

Bench press went pretty well. I've been working on a more powerlifting form as laid out in the "So you think you can Bench" videos and suggested in the ETP thread. So I do my warm ups, move to 95 to start my work progression and do 1x5 @ 95 and 105. I've been stuck at 115 for a bit. This has been partially due to strength/form and fear. This time I asked one of the guys who works at the gym to spot me so I could try 120 and eliminate the fear. Nailed 1x5 @ 120. Then I realize the old dude had been watching me bench as well!!!! So I get up from the set and the guy spotting said "Good set" and the old guy says, "Are you training to compete? Because you have really great form." Turns out he is a power lifting coach for the local high school and had 30+ years of power lifting experience. He said I had solid form on both the squat and bench and when he sees someone hitting form like that on those lifts he has to say something! :bigsmile: So after finding out who this guy is, the trainer who was spotting for me asked if I wanted to do another set...So I said sure, let me try 125. HIT ALL 5 REPS @ 125!!!!!!! PR and May goal hit! We then talked for a bit and I found out about another guy that comes to the gym who was this old guy's collegiate powerlifting coach. So it turns out that I have a lot more in me for bench press, I have knowledgeable people around that can guide me, and there are local groups that compete. Oh, and next time I'm doing deadlift and I see him around he wants to check me on form for that as well.

I'm on cloud nine right now. And to be honest, I'm starting to think that I may start looking into competing.

So..TL/DR: Hit 1x5 @ 125 Bench press, got complemented for my squat and bench form by a powerlifting coach, and may look into competing.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    jstout.....I :heart: this story!! How fantastic is that! These are the moments that I wish I actually went to the gym. Then I remember that I roll out of bed to get to mine and I'm like "no, I'm good" :laugh:

Good for you though! That feeling when you put your mind to something new is just so damn awesome!
  • chubby_checkers
    Options
    So..TL/DR: Hit 1x5 @ 125 Bench press, got complemented for my squat and bench form by a powerlifting coach, and may look into competing.

SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    jstout- wow!!! how cool is that & major compliment!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    jstout.....I :heart: this story!! How fantastic is that! These are the moments that I wish I actually went to the gym. Then I remember that I roll out of bed to get to mine and I'm like "no, I'm good" :laugh:

Good for you though! That feeling when you put your mind to something new is just so damn awesome!

Yep, I had never seen the guy before and probably wouldn't have if I had decided to go at my regular time...I was just unmotivated to get going around lunch :laugh: Some times it is all about straying from the normal. I don't know if I would be able to do a home gym for the very reason that there is a bed in the same area.:laugh:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

Yep, I had never seen the guy before and probably wouldn't have if I had decided to go at my regular time...I was just unmotivated to get going around lunch :laugh: Some times it is all about straying from the normal. I don't know if I would be able to do a home gym for the very reason that there is a bed in the same area.:laugh:

Funny enough, I think many people thought that same thing when I first said I was going to do a home gym. Prove them wrong now didn't I :laugh: For real though I think regardless if you go to an actual gym or have a home gym, it all comes down to how dedicated and committed you are. How many of us know people (or have been a person) that has a gym membership and never uses it?! Still good on you....what a very proud moment :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Stout, you're killin me over here!!!

Great day, awesome story! Your numbers are freaking amazing!

Truth be told, I would love to pierce my eyebrow, but the day job frowns on facial piercing. (Apparently all of my management oozed out that teensie hole on the side if my nose some five years back.)

I have plenty of real estate left for ink in clothing covered spaces. :wink:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm on cloud nine right now. And to be honest, I'm starting to think that I may start looking into competing.

Honestly, I think you should. Your numbers are amazing, and with good coaching I'm sure you could hold your own in competitions. I'll be rooting for ya! :flowerforyou:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    jstout you BAMF you! loving your profile pic too! wish I had the balls to have that on a tshirt!!

amazing numbers, and so jealous of you having people around that know what they are doing and can help you with it!

*beams*
  • amyaroja
    amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    jstout, that's awesome!
  • chubby_checkers
    Options
    Just commenting to say good morning....
  • chubby_checkers
    Options