May check in and chat - May all your weights go up

Options
1222324252628»

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    And for May goals....

Squats - any weight that doesn't hurt the hip flexor. I would LOVE to see 150, but it will take work on my form to keep the pain away. -- GOT 1x5 @ 150!
    DL: 200 -- GOT 1x5 @ 200
    Bench: 125 GOT 1x5 @ 125
    OHP: 95 -- Had to deload back to 65 after stalling at 80.
    Row: 120 - I have to get past the 95-105 range with good form. -- Punked out and gave up rows :tongue: have been doing pull-ups instead I'm at 3x5 strict with no assistance .

Aim for 1-2% BF loss with 1800-2000 cals/day. -- Hard to say, I'm eating about 2k a day and may have gone down 1% BF.
    Reincorporate plyometric work back in as plyo intervals. -- Started working on plyo exercises as part of a HIIT routine
    CORE CORE CORE.... --- Check, check, check. I'm now up to 2x8 of toes to bar lifts and various other core stuff.

May was productive for me so I'm ready to bring on June!!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    3fold - Maybe tell him that to perform his best and reduce the risk of injury when he does achieve "Beast Mode" on his lifts, the warm up reps are the most important lifts he will do each workout. It gives his body the chance to work on obtaining muscle memory for proper form, brings blood to the worked muscles that will make lifting heavy easier, and helps reduce the risk that he will have to explain to people how he hurt his butt muscle while squatting (I always use a little humor). Oh, and I've pulled the glute during squats before....not fun to explain that one. As for jumping 20 lbs, it is part of the same "impatient teenager" problem with the warm-ups. He is compelled to get to the end as fast as he can. If he is still maintaining form, I wouldn't worry too much, but try to get him to keep the jumps in weight to 10 lbs if he won't hang tight with the 5. You may be able to compromise with him by doing a progressive lift of 1x5 where he adds 10 lbs to each set with a lower starting weight, but a higher final working weight. That would also allow him to see where he may have trouble with the weight and form when he gets to the higher final weights.

Thanks. I was firm and told I would not allow him to go up in OHP. I'm hoping he'll be so sore tomorrow he'll think better next session.....LOL.
  • kellieem
    kellieem Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!
    I did a brief scan of this thread and it sounds like everyone is doing fantastic!

I did workout B today:
    Squats 50 5x5. I'm slowly working my way up again, but my right hip flexor is still not liking this. I think it's because I'm compensating my weaker left leg. So now I need to be aware of that along with everything else... Will this form stuff ever get easier?? Or do I need to concentrate on every little thing??
    OHP 55 55543. It was hard...
    Deadlift 130 1x5. It was also hard.

Basically, I'm not going to increase anything. But I finally got Starting Strength. I'm hoping the section on squats will have some insight...
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Drive by hi and totally random comments based on what I can remember from scanning the thread:

Kira - great story! It's always nice to know that someone else find one attractive!

Dani - love the photo. I might need to show my Mum that.

May Goals - congrats to those that hit them and well done to those who made progress. I'm not even going to look at mine this month.

We exchanged contracts of sale on the house yesterday - finally! OMG the stress! - and move in a fortnight.

Workout "B" today of sorts:
    Squats 35kg 1x8 1x7 1x6 (deload from 45kg 3x5 because it was just too much)
    OHP 17.5kg 3x5 (deload from 18.5kg or thereabouts)
    No deadlifts. I was wrung out after the squats and OHP
    Back extensions 3x12 with 11lb weight

Better than nothing, and not bad considering how much upper-body DOMS I have kicking around from Bench Day on Weds with the PT, how little sleep I've had for the last week and how much crap I've fed my body. It gets better from here :)
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My May goals -
    Squat 150
    Bench 105
    Row 110
    OHP 90 for at least one set
    Deadlift 185
    -keep up with cardio 2x a week
    -do yoga once a week
    -drink more water

What happened -
    Squat - did 1x5 @160, but felt too heavy for good form. @155 for now. - CHECK
    Bench - @115 - CHECK
    Row - Finally hit 110 for a set during progressives. I hate rows and I haven't pushed enough here. I've been around 100-105 for most of the month. - CHECK
    OHP - I did a set of 1x5 @90 last week, but the last few times I've tried it I've only hit 3 or 4, so I am officially stalled here.-CHECK
    DL - @190 the past couple sessions-CHECK

Cardio - I've been a little better. I just developed a plan to run trails. There are two state parks nearby and I have a pre-paid pass, so I have good options there.
    Yoga- haven't been doing it.
    Water- getting better, especially now that it's hot and I want to drink more.
  • jogirlruns
    jogirlruns Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ok, didn't progress very much this month. LIFE kept getting in the way of my gym time - I was getting out, but not three days a week so I mostly focussed on becoming comfortable with the lifts and working on my form.

May Goals:

Squat - currently 105lbs - up to 125?.... Made it to 115 lbs. Feels good
    Bench - currently 65/75lbs - maybe 80?... still 65 lbs. No fractional weights at my gym - I could probably do 70 lbs.
    Row - figure out the dang technique - I have resorted to T-bar row (I know - not as good!) because I'm certain I am doing it wrong - current weight 80 lbs... have been doing bent over rows rather than Pendlays. Up to 70 lbs
    OHP - current 40 lbs - maybe up to 50? Did on set at 45lbs - this will be my new weight
    Deadlift - current - 95 lbs - so 120? Manageed 105 with the big bar! Form still needs work.

Good work everyone!!

Joanne
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's fun to see how much progress everyone has made, both in numbers and in confidence.

As for me, I'm sending May out with a bang.

Squats 3x5 @160
    Bench 5x5 @100
    Rows 5x5 @110

RAWRRRRR!!!!!!

Next week is my last week of this cycle of SL. I'm going to need to either cut down to 3x5 or do something different altogether, because even with the squats at 3x5, it's taking me almost 80 minutes to finish A days. Taking any and all suggestions, of course. :)
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's fun to see how much progress everyone has made, both in numbers and in confidence.

As for me, I'm sending May out with a bang.

Squats 3x5 @160
    Bench 5x5 @100
    Rows 5x5 @110

RAWRRRRR!!!!!!

Next week is my last week of this cycle of SL. I'm going to need to either cut down to 3x5 or do something different altogether, because even with the squats at 3x5, it's taking me almost 80 minutes to finish A days. Taking any and all suggestions, of course. :)

Holy yikes those are some impressive numbers! You go girl.

I switched to 3 x 5 before I started the second cycle of SL. But after 6 weeks of that I got too bored, and I've now moved on to Nia Shanks. I bought her Beautful BadAss and her (s)hero program
    total for all of it was about $50. And its something like 15 different programs, mostly 12 weeks long. I chose to start with (s)hero but there is a lot of variety with her workouts, and all of them follow the same general concept of focusing on compound lifts. May be worth looking into for you.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I switched to 3 x 5 before I started the second cycle of SL. But after 6 weeks of that I got too bored, and I've now moved on to Nia Shanks. I bought her Beautful BadAss and her (s)hero program
    total for all of it was about $50. And its something like 15 different programs, mostly 12 weeks long. I chose to start with (s)hero but there is a lot of variety with her workouts, and all of them follow the same general concept of focusing on compound lifts. May be worth looking into for you.

I'm seriously checking into Nia Shanks because she's ADD like me and I like her idea of switching programs around regularly to stay interested and continue to make progress. I want to branch out into different types of deadlifts, squats and so forth and continue to have fun and stay motivated, now that I have the basics down. I'm looking for stuff I can do for a month at a time, because that's about what my attention span is capable of. I'm really happy to know that not being able to stick with a program for 12 weeks doesn't mean I'm doomed to fail. Woop woop!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Kira there are a few options that come to mind....shocking I'm sure :laugh:

1. Switch to 3x5 and if necessary modify how often you progress/how you progress in terms of weights. Play with adding an extra rep instead of increasing lbs....this is what I did for my 2nd cycle. Towards the end here I have also adopted jstouts idea of the 10lb progression to max weight of 1x5 instead of 3x5. This has actually helped me to push higher in the weight progressions because I'm not as fatigued as I was getting.

2. Madcow. This is what I was going to do before I discovered BB. If you are still super happy with the idea of your workouts focusing on the 5 main lifts and then maybe adding some accessory work then this is a good option. I like that there is a spreadsheet that you plug your numbers into and it gives you all of the information you need.

3. Beautiful Badass. Great value for $34. 19 programs. I would like to point out that while Nia Shanks does design most of her programs in 5 week increments (4 weeks + 1 deload week) she recommends that you run the program through 2 or 3 times. The thing I like about BB is that there is a bit of everything.

Oh and of course add finishers onto everything :laugh:

There is my 2cents!
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I didn't have May goals other than not getting squashed by the bar, so big ol check on that one!!!

Workout B for me today at the end of my second week of SL and I'm starting to feel helluva lot stronger.

Squat 55# 5x5
    OHP 45 5553 (how I will celebrate the day I can do 5x5 much less add weight on this one)
    DL 85# 1x5

My DL are finally feeling heavy, so I'm loving that. I am quite exhausted today though, as I had to take the ice cream truck to a party after my workout. Thank God for weekend rest!

Anyway, congrats to all you buff babes that made or came close to your May goals!
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I'm seriously checking into Nia Shanks because she's ADD like me and I like her idea of switching programs around regularly to stay interested and continue to make progress. I want to branch out into different types of deadlifts, squats and so forth and continue to have fun and stay motivated, now that I have the basics down. I'm looking for stuff I can do for a month at a time, because that's about what my attention span is capable of. I'm really happy to know that not being able to stick with a program for 12 weeks doesn't mean I'm doomed to fail. Woop woop!

@Dani: one of Nia's programs (of the 19) in Beautiful Badass is called A.D.D. It might be your dream workout! :laugh:
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Last workout of May today! I worked out early and felt fresh, so everything was good. Going to repeat 75 on the rows next time because they are always an issue for me.

Squats - 110
    Bench - 80
    Rows - 75

As far as my goals...
    1. Keep steadily increasing the weights. Just started and want to find my max, though I'm not sure where that will be so I'm going to be lame and not give concrete numbers.
    2. Rein in nutrition to lose BF%. Been a little lax with logging though protein has been good. Started a new job where I'm on my feet. Between that and SL5x5, have been hungrier. Need to refigure TDEE, possibly add additional protein shake on lift days.
    3. Form for rows and bench: work on pulling a little lower into the chest on both, keeping back arched on bench. Beg someone to take pics.

Pretty proud of where I am! I think I've figured out a good intake, but need to work on being better about logging food as I have gotten lax. Form has definitely gotten better, though I still haven't had anyone take videos. That will have to be a June goal :D
  • beacrys
    beacrys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So I got a new pair of trail running minimalist shoes (Merrill's, off the clearance shelf at EMS!). I have my running clothes, my shoes, my armband for my phone, and my water bottle all packed in my backpack that I brought to work. It's going to be 85 degrees and super humid when I get out of work, so I don't know if I'll be running so much as strolling on the trails today. Oh well--I think I'm going to stick to my original plan and motivate to go to the state park after work even if I just walk. A routine has to start somewhere, and I don't like that I could make an excuse on the first day. Thunderstorms would be a good excuse, just "too hot", not so much.

I use my "gloves" to lift in as well as trail walk/run in. Love them.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Urk, someone else come up with a clever June title,I'm tapped.