May check in and chat - May all your weights go up

Options

Replies

• ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options

Hello to new folks!

It's been a heck of a week, but all the ickies that could be resolved were with today's lifting session. I had to miss Wednesday because the kiddo was sick, so I just did some jump rope intervals and bodyweight stuff. I was itching to get back to the weights, though!

My hip flexor is still aching - not injured aching, just sore. It's strange. I've been RICEing, stretching, and it felt pretty good today, so. .
    Squats - I did a 10 lb progression up to what I thought would be my working weight, with a plan to maybe do 2 sets at working weight, depending on how my hip felt. so 1x5 at 115, 125, 135, 145 - and that felt so good and strong that I went for 1x5 at 155. And nailed it. HURRAY! I spent a lot of time watching videos and doing bodyweight squats to refine my form and breathing and core control, and it paid off.

OHP - The deload was so good for me. Going down in weight helped me figure out how to use my core to stabilize the lift. 5x5 at 65 lbs, and I even added one extra on the last rep for 6. Trying to decide if I want to do 5x6 again at 65, go up in fractionals, or give 70 a shot again.

Deadlift. I have shortened my warmup sets to 1x3's, and I watched a TON of videos on form. Putting that new information to use, I did 1x3 at 135, 165, 185, then 1x5 at 200!!!! Form felt great, breathing felt great, grip felt great - just one of those things where it all finally clicks. And yes, I got the requisite skeptical glances when I did my happy dance. But come on - lifting 200 lbs up and down 5 times - that's 1000 pounds, people!!!! And I did it without feeling it in my back at all - all glutes and hammies! Obviously I am still jazzed. :smile:

It may be a while before I can keep up the way I'd like, but I do read through the threads and love hearing about how everyone is doing. Have a great weekend!

200 lb deadlift- awesome!!! I'm hoping to get there before too long!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Well, I learned something new last night. Failed on the last rep of my 3rd set of OHP so I decided to wait the 5 minutes to begin a new set. Well, then I was bored so thought I'd do crunches to pass the time while I waited. WRONG. Went to do my 4th set and I thought my back would bend in half backwards because my core was so weak. I didn't realize after all this time how much you use your core for the OHP! :noway: No wonder I struggle with it so much!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Week:3
    Day:3
    Workout:A

Squat 75x5x5
    Bench 65x5x5
    Row 80x4x5/1x4

Week 3 done and it feels so good to know I am doing something good for my body. I feel stronger and throw my boys around now with out getting tired.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The time difference really kicked my *kitten* this trip though so I didn't have the energy to finish with a complex today....oh well.....one time with no complex won't kill me :)

It's alright, I was playing with kettlebells/dumbbells this morning, so you're covered. :happy:
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Holy Crap! *pant pant*

A “B” night tonight:

Squats - 1x5’s @45#, 65#, & 85#. 3x5 @105#, PR.
    OHP - 1x5 @ 50#. 55# −6, 6, 5 and I gave out.
    DL - 1x5 @ 120#, PR

Did some half way pull-ups beforehand with 50# of assist Not impressed, but I’ll get there.

Note on the OHP’s…trying to get a rep or two more in on the work weight before I go up 5#. I don’t have fractionals or FastenAll washers just yet. (I’m doing a Mehdi/Nia Shanks hybrid…)

I’m beat, but in a good way! :)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Awww kira and dani.....always have my back :laugh: thanks so much :happy:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to share my May news:

I'm getting a power rack for home!! :happy: So, I can ditch my smith and re-learn to squat and bench. I'm hoping to have enough time between when it arrives next week sometime and the end of September to get back up to significant weight so I can bulk in the fall.

My other news is that I finally broke through repeated plateaus with my OHP yesterday: 75lbs 5x5 baby!! :bigsmile:

Lastly, I think my problem with deadlifts is the fact that I have REALLY poor inward rotation of my hips. I discovered this during years of martial arts training - not sure if that was the cause or just when I noticed. I have to have my toes pointed outward to squat even as far as parallel and I wonder if I might do better with sumo style deadlifts rather than regular. Anyone doing sumo instead of?
  • amyaroja
    amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Fifth time out... starting to get heavy and I love it! It feels good!

I was having a hard time before going low in my squats. With heavier weights, it's much easier to go down low. Of course, it's harder to get up, though! ;)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Tough a session today, don't often go in the morning felt a but stiff and maybe under fed! Even only doing 3x5 as mum is here it took over an hour...

Squats 52.5Kg not sure I warmed up enough and it felt hard... Managed 443 hey ho.
    bench went up to 37.5kg after my awesome 5x5 at 35 last time, did 55 then 3, roll of shame, and a weight dropped off the end ans bounced off the edge of my phone eek. Thankfully the cover did the job, and is a bit bent, but the phone is fine!
    was supposed to do 44.5kg on rows which was such a stupid number I went straight for 45kg and only managed 443 so not feeling very BAMF but glad of progress even if frustrating!
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I'm getting a power rack for home!! :happy: So, I can ditch my smith and re-learn to squat and bench. I'm hoping to have enough time between when it arrives next week sometime and the end of September to get back up to significant weight so I can bulk in the fall.

My other news is that I finally broke through repeated plateaus with my OHP yesterday: 75lbs 5x5 baby!! :bigsmile:

Lastly, I think my problem with deadlifts is the fact that I have REALLY poor inward rotation of my hips. I discovered this during years of martial arts training - not sure if that was the cause or just when I noticed. I have to have my toes pointed outward to squat even as far as parallel and I wonder if I might do better with sumo style deadlifts rather than regular. Anyone doing sumo instead of?

Lucky!

The last two things I told my husband I wanted were a squat stand and a keg-o-rator. He says no (we don't have room).

What kinda man refuses lifting equipment and beer on tap?? He should be on his knees thanking the stars that he has a wife who asks for that kinda stuff... LOL.

Sigh, I'll keep working on it.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am super sore from yesterday,s,workout! More sore than I have been in a long time!

I only went up 2pounds with squats, my OHP were reloaded 10#!
    I did go up 10 on my DL, but I could tell I'd be sore while still doing the squats and I am most sore from the deloaded OHP. Seems weird.
  • juliemouse83
    Options

We are rack shopping, too! Super excited that I will be able to train without a spotter if I need to.

I am in awe of your OHP weight! That is just so full of awesome! :flowerforyou:

And are those your legs in your avatar? :love:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    We are rack shopping, too! Super excited that I will be able to train without a spotter if I need to.

I am in awe of your OHP weight! That is just so full of awesome! :flowerforyou:

And are those your legs in your avatar? :love:

After much research, MrBigMack chose the valor fitness bd-11 power rack and found it on sale for $432.99 with free shipping in the US :happy:

And thanks for the flower and the compliment :blushing:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I :heart: my power rack. I totally geek out on it and show pictures to anyone that will look :laugh: Best investment ever!
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    @ Mrs. Big - You are welcome! :smile: And I will be checking out that rack, for sure!

@ Vegas, pix! Yes! I will totally look! I can’t wait to get it chosen, home, and assembled. A pull up bar is a must, for sure!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    All this talk about power racks makes me giggle. If I told the hubby I was "Looking into a power rack" he would wonder what kind of surgical procedure I was trying to find. He is in no way a lifter and has his mind in a totally other male realm. :laugh:

Some great looking legs on this thread now! Will that be the June profile photos??

Had a great session B today! I know I was planning on a deload week this week, but with the end of May right around the corner, I just couldn't pass up the chance of hitting a few of my weight goals.

Squat - 1x5 @ 115, 125, 135, 145, and 150!! May goal hit and new PR!

OHP - 5x5 @ 70. Starting the progression back up after the deload from 80 to 65.

Deadlift 1x5 @ 135, 175, 200!! May goal hit and new PR!! Now, the 200 lift wasn't pretty (and hard as h3!!) and I know my form suffered, but I did it....200 lbs. 1.5 x body weight! 190 felt like a much better lift a few sessions ago so I will be heading back down to 180 and going back up at 5 lbs increments. I will only be doing one DL session a week with my new program so I won't see 200 again until the end of June, but that will be fine since good form is the most important thing.

Today's session made me happy that I don't work out at Planet Fitness because I am sure I would have set the "Lunk" alarm off. :laugh: All that grunting and GRRRRing with the squats and DL.

And a kind of amusing thing happened before I started lifting. I was just about to start squats when the only staff member who was working came back to the weight room looking for someone to help her bring in some dumbbells that had been repainted. She thought they were 75 lbs each and asked ME to help. There were some guys in the room, but she asked ME. Of course I said I would help. Turned out they were 35 lbs and I walked both in at once and took them back to the weight room. So I got a good "farmer walk" in before starting. I just think it is funny that the first person she asked to carry the 75 lb dumbbells in was me, not one of the guys. I think she was just more comfortable asking another woman and figured I could actually do it.
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    Dang, jstout! Your day was badass all the way around! Where is the thumbs up smiley?
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    2nd Workout A today. 55lbs squat, 50lbs bench and 60lbs row. I tried 65lbs on my row for the first workout, and just couldn't pull that 5th rep.

As I was finishing my squats, a guy came over to me, and my brain immediately jumped to "Oh crap, what am I doing horribly wrong?" To my surprise he said, "I just want to let you know that you have the best squat form I've ever seen. I've never seen anyone in here do it as well as you do." I thanked him profusely and I've been smiling ever since!

jstout - Congrats! Those numbers are huge! You're an inspiration. :)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    As I was finishing my squats, a guy came over to me, and my brain immediately jumped to "Oh crap, what am I doing horribly wrong?" To my surprise he said, "I just want to let you know that you have the best squat form I've ever seen. I've never seen anyone in here do it as well as you do." I thanked him profusely and I've been smiling ever since!

jstout - Congrats! Those numbers are huge! You're an inspiration. :)

I would be all smiles after that awesome complement too!!! :bigsmile:

And thanks! :blushing:
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    Squat 270 pounds 5/4/2
    Press 120 pounds 5 reps after about 5 tries because I was too lazy to deload lol
    265 pound deadlift all 5 reps.