May check in and chat - May all your weights go up

Options

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I just wish I could get the squats right!!!

Just keep at it and you will get it!

Ges - Welcome back!!

Amy - Way to get back to it!

Amazing - Are you doing any program in particular?

It was "A" day for me and I decided to go ahead and start the deload weeks today since I was tight on time.

Squats 1x5 @ 95, 105, 115
    Bench 1x5 @ 95, 105, 115

No rows, decided I don't care much for them and didn't want to mess with them today. So I did 3x5 of pull-ups instead. Form broke down on the later reps and I was doing the kick to get up, but I still got them in.

I have the shell of my next program move done, just looking to pin down some of the accessory movements and weight increase times. I'll post a new topic when I get a clearer idea so you brilliant ladies (and gentlemen) can offer comments and suggestions.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    I've been doing progressive loading with some of the main barbell lifts at 3 sets of 5.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Today was a B day for me. I'm still doing deloaded weights since I wanted to do two full weeks before jumping in again. We'll see how I do Saturday and how I feel Tuesday before I decide. I'm not sure what I did different today, but shiz clicked in a major way. I was a little worried doing deadlifts since my sciatic nerve is still giving me tiny little fits, but I did them and it was awesome. I'm getting anxious to get back to it for real.

ETA: Ice cream! I got some of the Dove mini ice cream bars and ate two of them last night. Mystery of awesome lifting solved.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started SL5X5 3 weeks ago. My numbers below are higher than what Week 3 of the program calls for, but it's because I had already been lifting before this, so I started Week 1 with a deload of about 75% of what I was lifting. Awesome training session today!

Work-out B today:

Squats: 110# 5X5 - this was REALLY tough, but I'm going to attempt adding 5 more pounds next time anyhow.

OHP: 60# 5X5 - SUPER tough. I wasn't able to get 60# last time, so I was doubtful I would get it this time. The last set was pretty bad form, so I will be repeating this next time. Still glad to hit 60#!

Deadlifts: 115# 1X5 - I think I will be fine to add an additional 5 pounds next time.

Feeling awesome!

ideally, you should have started at 50% -- the goal is that you shouldn't be struggling with the amounts you're lifting for several weeks.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    ETA: Ice cream! I got some of the Dove mini ice cream bars and ate two of them last night. Mystery of awesome lifting solved.

It's just the girls' version of whole milk that guys are supposed to chug when they do Starting Strength. It's not a mystery, it's science! :laugh:
  • tameko2
    Options

It's just the girls' version of whole milk that guys are supposed to chug when they do Starting Strength. It's not a mystery, it's science! :laugh:

You people are killing me, I swear.

*lactose intolerant*
  • beacrys
    beacrys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options

*lactose intolerant*

Do you like coconuts? Because coconut milk ice cream is da bomb. :smile:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

*lactose intolerant*

Frozen yogurt?

Mmmm. Mmmm. Good.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options

*lactose intolerant*

Yea you and everyone else I know. lol
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started SL5X5 3 weeks ago. My numbers below are higher than what Week 3 of the program calls for, but it's because I had already been lifting before this, so I started Week 1 with a deload of about 75% of what I was lifting. Awesome training session today!

Work-out B today:

Squats: 110# 5X5 - this was REALLY tough, but I'm going to attempt adding 5 more pounds next time anyhow.

OHP: 60# 5X5 - SUPER tough. I wasn't able to get 60# last time, so I was doubtful I would get it this time. The last set was pretty bad form, so I will be repeating this next time. Still glad to hit 60#!

Deadlifts: 115# 1X5 - I think I will be fine to add an additional 5 pounds next time.

Feeling awesome!

ideally, you should have started at 50% -- the goal is that you shouldn't be struggling with the amounts you're lifting for several weeks.

I asked a few credible lifting friends what I should start at since I had already been doing some of these lifts and was advised to start at about 50% of my 1RM, so I was actually incorrect in saying I started at 75% for most of my lifts. Without getting too detailed about my 1RMs and where I actually started, what would you advise I do now to make sure I don't stall out too quickly? Deload again, stay where I'm at for a while, or continue on with my current progression?

I'm ahead of the program a little on everything but OHP. I had just started doing OHPs the week before starting SL, so I didn't see any harm in adding 5lbs to my OHP my first SL work-out. As of last week, that only put me 5lbs more than what Week 2 called for, and since I failed that lift, I repeated it this week, and now I'm exactly where the program would have me (60#) if I had started with the 45# bar Week 1. I also understand that OHPs are probably the hardest things to progress on and the first I will probably stall out on, correct?

Any advise is much-appreciated. Thanks!

Megan
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends! I'm finally back from Toronto and will FINALLY be home for a couple of weeks before taking off from vacation!

Workout A for me this morning....did the progressive load to max weight for last set again and still loving it. As a matter of fact I was able to bust through my stall on bench using this method, so that did make me pretty happy this morning!

The time difference really kicked my *kitten* this trip though so I didn't have the energy to finish with a complex today....oh well.....one time with no complex won't kill me :)
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Workout A for me finishing up my first week on SL. I feel AMAZING!

squat 45
    BP 50
    Pendlay 50

5x5 on all counts. I'm still trying to get my squats perfect, but I think I'll be ready to start adding weight next week.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Workout A for me finishing up my first week on SL. I feel AMAZING!

squat 45
    BP 50
    Pendlay 50

5x5 on all counts. I'm still trying to get my squats perfect, but I think I'll be ready to start adding weight next week.

GREAT JOB!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    ....one time with no complex won't kill me :)

Are you sure? :smile: Welcome back!

Hello to new folks!

It's been a heck of a week, but all the ickies that could be resolved were with today's lifting session. I had to miss Wednesday because the kiddo was sick, so I just did some jump rope intervals and bodyweight stuff. I was itching to get back to the weights, though!

My hip flexor is still aching - not injured aching, just sore. It's strange. I've been RICEing, stretching, and it felt pretty good today, so. .
    Squats - I did a 10 lb progression up to what I thought would be my working weight, with a plan to maybe do 2 sets at working weight, depending on how my hip felt. so 1x5 at 115, 125, 135, 145 - and that felt so good and strong that I went for 1x5 at 155. And nailed it. HURRAY! I spent a lot of time watching videos and doing bodyweight squats to refine my form and breathing and core control, and it paid off.

OHP - The deload was so good for me. Going down in weight helped me figure out how to use my core to stabilize the lift. 5x5 at 65 lbs, and I even added one extra on the last rep for 6. Trying to decide if I want to do 5x6 again at 65, go up in fractionals, or give 70 a shot again.

Deadlift. I have shortened my warmup sets to 1x3's, and I watched a TON of videos on form. Putting that new information to use, I did 1x3 at 135, 165, 185, then 1x5 at 200!!!! Form felt great, breathing felt great, grip felt great - just one of those things where it all finally clicks. And yes, I got the requisite skeptical glances when I did my happy dance. But come on - lifting 200 lbs up and down 5 times - that's 1000 pounds, people!!!! And I did it without feeling it in my back at all - all glutes and hammies! Obviously I am still jazzed. :smile:

It may be a while before I can keep up the way I'd like, but I do read through the threads and love hearing about how everyone is doing. Have a great weekend!
  • tameko2
    Options

Work-out B today:

Feeling awesome!

I asked a few credible lifting friends what I should start at since I had already been doing some of these lifts and was advised to start at about 50% of my 1RM, so I was actually incorrect in saying I started at 75% for most of my lifts. Without getting too detailed about my 1RMs and where I actually started, what would you advise I do now to make sure I don't stall out too quickly? Deload again, stay where I'm at for a while, or continue on with my current progression?

I'm ahead of the program a little on everything but OHP. I had just started doing OHPs the week before starting SL, so I didn't see any harm in adding 5lbs to my OHP my first SL work-out. As of last week, that only put me 5lbs more than what Week 2 called for, and since I failed that lift, I repeated it this week, and now I'm exactly where the program would have me (60#) if I had started with the 45# bar Week 1. I also understand that OHPs are probably the hardest things to progress on and the first I will probably stall out on, correct?

Any advise is much-appreciated. Thanks!

Megan

Oh if you did go to 50% of your 1rm that is fine and you shouldn't need to deload. Keep pushing through for now -- you may want to get some kind of fractional weight for your upper body lifts though, either proper machined ones, or fastenal washers or Vegas uses rolls of duct tape that weigh 1 lb or like, tie on weights, magnetic weights.

They're supremely useful for those lifts because going from 60 to 65 is a HUGE jump and they are the weakest lifts for everyone. And yes you will stall on those first.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Oh if you did go to 50% of your 1rm that is fine and you shouldn't need to deload. Keep pushing through for now -- you may want to get some kind of fractional weight for your upper body lifts though, either proper machined ones, or fastenal washers or Vegas uses rolls of duct tape that weigh 1 lb or like, tie on weights, magnetic weights.

They're supremely useful for those lifts because going from 60 to 65 is a HUGE jump and they are the weakest lifts for everyone. And yes you will stall on those first.

Will look into it. THANK YOU!
  • beacrys
    beacrys Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Deadlift. I have shortened my warmup sets to 1x3's, and I watched a TON of videos on form. Putting that new information to use, I did 1x3 at 135, 165, 185, then 1x5 at 200!!!! Form felt great, breathing felt great, grip felt great - just one of those things where it all finally clicks. And yes, I got the requisite skeptical glances when I did my happy dance. But come on - lifting 200 lbs up and down 5 times - that's 1000 pounds, people!!!! And I did it without feeling it in my back at all - all glutes and hammies! Obviously I am still jazzed. :smile:

It may be a while before I can keep up the way I'd like, but I do read through the threads and love hearing about how everyone is doing. Have a great weekend!

Awesome.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You are all amazing!

I was sick and had a 6 day break (yikes) and feared a reload, but alas, I went up in all weights. My workout was interrupted by work yesterday so I went a did deadlift today (well-rested and cheating, but oh well :) )

Squat 115, OHP 60, Deadlift 155.

All felt very heavy and I don't know if I can go up next time or will keep it the same. I need to do a form check on the squat soon too. It feels different at this weight, but I am pushing from the hips and don't ever feel it anywhere except my legs...

Happy Weekend everyone!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    "B" day

my squats are still going up each and every time, even when other lifts go down... though I am just doing a 2# increase.
    My OHP still seem to go down more than they go up, but I am still higher than my starting weight, I guess. and I hit today's goal on DL- so I can make my End of May DL goal.

Squats: 62#
    OHP: 45# (was 55 last time)
    Dead Lifts: 128#