Training

Options

Replies

• ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I did it!! 28'C and 92% humidity....sunshine too! I ran 5.68km in 35 minutes so I achieved my goal. Now to think about the 10K !!!

Awesome! Congratulations!!!
  • carolinesparkle
    carolinesparkle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I do have a 10k in mind in November which should give me enough time after the long summer holiday to still be ready for it. We have a 4 week break planned in Europe so I will do what I can but won't stress about it if I can't run 3 times a week like I do know.
    I'd be thrilled to do it in 50 minutes too, it's definitely within your grasp!
    Keep up the amazing work everyone, I definitely wouldn't have said this time last year that this is where I'd be now!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Great times Caroline and Tim! Especially in heat like that - what a sauna.

Beth - you should be able to start picking up the odd 5k like that. Just pick you plan back up after the easy run.

Tim - how was your hip?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Well done Caroline, great time too! Have you got a 10k in mind?

Tim, that is an awesome time. I'm sure 50 minutes is within your grasp, you should be able to run slightly faster in a road race.

Today I was thinking ahead, in 2 weeks I have a 10k training run, but that's the day after I fly into Majorca for a weeks holiday. That's obviously not going to happen though I do plan to do some shorter runs when I'm away. So today I ran 9.4k instead of 8k and I will have a longer run on the Thursday before I go, hopefully that will keep me on track.

One thing I've read is to be fearless about flexing your training around your life. Just don't put two intense workouts on consecutive days and you should be great. This sounds like an excellent plan.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Tim - how was your hip?

It hurt a little during the race and hurt more the next day. But the pain was nothing like a week ago. I think the week's rest I took from running really helped, and the biking was good for my legs. I am pretty sure it's something in the lower core/ab muscles. After the race it was pretty painful to sneeze. I am going to take it easy again this week and do some more biking. Gotta get rested for the Peachtree next week. My wife twisted her ankle yesterday running her first half-marathon so she's down for a while. She still kept on going and finished in 3rd place overall with a time of 1:50:50. She will still do the Peachtree race, we'll just take it slow together.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    How exciting! I'm planning on the Peachtree next year!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so well! Congratulations on meeting so many goals.
    I'm working on becoming more consistent, increasing speed and getting stronger all around. Today, I did an easy, but longer than normal, routine in which I jogged up a long, slow hillside. I've never made it up this hill before without stopping to walk. It's about 1K in length with an elevation of about 30 meters. Today, I did it...to the top!! Whoot! And it didn't tucker me out, I continued jogging merrily along my way.
    Today was also my first jog in the rain. It was cloudy when I left home and started to pour with rain about 3/4 of the way through. Nothing to do but keep slogging towards home. It was nice and cool...gotta say.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Isn't it great when you conquer a hill that has undone you in the past? Now you own it! Good for you!

It's exciting and motivating to read how well you are all doing. I am behind you, but it gets me excited about my running future!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm so proud of you for getting out there and mastering that hill. You've come so far in the last 6 months!!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm pretty happy with my progress lately, too. I seem to have "turned a corner" in the training. It's coming easier and more relaxed than before. I'm taking that as a sign that things are good and that I can up the intensity & distance soon.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I did my first sprint training session today and I didn't die! I did have to walk for 100m after each sprint or I would probably have thrown up, but I finished all 3 sets and more surprisingly I even hit my times, thought I was going much slower. I think next time it will be easier as I know what to expect.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Great job! A lot of experienced runners are scared of intervals.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    That's so great!!! Where did you get your running plan, Romy?
  • romyhorse
    Options
    That's so great!!! Where did you get your running plan, Romy?

Runners World have free plans if you sign up to their website. I think Varda is using it too. It gives me something to aim for rather than just going out for a run, keeps me motivated.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    A 7k easy run today. Ha! Easy? 7km, I think not, maybe in another few months I might consider it easy but not this morning. I am still running on grass which I hate. There is limited grass to run on so I have to do laps of the local showground, and I really, really, really hate running laps, I have the attention span of a 3 year old.

The first 3k was hard, my legs felt heavy and tired so I decided to cut my run short and just do 5k. But then 2 young men joined the track about 100m ahead of me and I suddenly got my second wind, purely coincidental of course! They left after 1 lap but I was still feeling good and managed another lap, then on the run home I made a detour via the school track and did an 800m sprint just for fun! Actually managed to run 7.1km so it turned out a good run in the end, but definitely not an easy one.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Laps are almost, but not quite as bad as treadmills so I feel for you. After 10k, you'll want to start considering hydration/energy supplements.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Yeah, I did a 10k run on Sunday and I need to get a running bottle, it is getting hot and humid even at 6am.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    The first 3k was hard, my legs felt heavy and tired so I decided to cut my run short and just do 5k. But then 2 young men joined the track about 100m ahead of me and I suddenly got my second wind, purely coincidental of course! They left after 1 lap but I was still feeling good and managed another lap, then on the run home I made a detour via the school track and did an 800m sprint just for fun! Actually managed to run 7.1km so it turned out a good run in the end, but definitely not an easy one.

That's awesome!!! You must feel great! Running is mental (isn't that a bumper sticker?) sometimes we just need that little push whatever it is to get over.

I'm having a hard time imagining going back to the indoor track or the treadmill...I think I need to move to a warmer less snowy climate before winter. Or I need to make friends with whoever controls the snowplows so that my running routes are kept no more than ankle deep in snow.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    I want that bumper sticker!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I like the "making friends with the snowplow drivers." Your sexy running legs should help with that!

I have actually found it interesting that the "Help me overcome this mental block" running posts can usually be solved by 1) slowing down or 2) getting treated for asthma. The "I don't think I'm ready" posts are all about overcoming a mental hurdle. And also can usually be solved by slowing down. It's like what feels mental is physical and what feels physical is mental and it can all be handled by giving your body the space and time to solve it for you. Unless you need a doctor.

I did a great two mile run last night. No walking, but I did pause to delete a song off my playlist. I think I'm back in business.