Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Great job Varda, I bet it felt good.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    There was a "woo hoo" minute in there :)
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    That's awesome Varda! Glad to hear that you had a great run. I never doubted you. ;-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    And...you are SO RIGHT about the mental is physical/physical is mental thing. If we just don't give up, and give our body the space and the time, it will adapt and we will succeed!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    And that is the magic of running. I NEVER realized that I was this capable or it was this easy. (I don't mean easy-lazy...well, you know what I mean).
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Had an utterly fantastic 4.2 mile run tonight! My last mile was my fastest and I felt like I could just keep going. I averaged a 12:50 pace. But my last mile was almost a whole minute faster. I just felt like I was cruising along. At two miles I did not feel as good as I did at mile 3 and 4. Weird but good! Maybe I can make that 10K by October and not be last! :-)
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    At two miles I did not feel as good as I did at mile 3 and 4. Weird but good! Maybe I can make that 10K by October and not be last! :-)

It's the same way for me. I need 2-3 miles to really start feeling good.

You'll do great in your 10K - and I seriously doubt you'll be last. Keep up the great work!
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Thanks, Tim! I'm encouraged and hopeful! I tried my first ice bath after last night's run. It seems to have erased my soreness. I feel great today. What a wonderful tool. I might have to make it a habit!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    xtrout had the same experience and that's why he's doing marathons. The one thing I find with the "Running on Air" breathing cadence (and I don't use it all the time) is that I get into that happy space much sooner on my run - end of the first mile instead of mile three.

But, yeah, when it all comes together and you're flying - there's nothing better than that.

However, given the competitiveness of the 5ks she's run, I actually think Beth might be last - but that's *not* because YOU are slow.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options

But, yeah, when it all comes together and you're flying - there's nothing better than that.

However, given the competitiveness of the 5ks she's run, I actually think Beth might be last - but that's *not* because YOU are slow.

It does feel like flying. Like you are out of your body and really connected to it at the same time.
    (Whoa. Just realized that's getting a little meta, or something.)

Anyway...LOL! Varda! I'm sure you know me well enough now, to know that I am an eternal optimist! So I will focus and dedicate myself to training and start the race hoping I won't be. And good friend that you are, you will help pull me up if I stumble! :-)
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Got back from holiday yesterday, took my running gear with me but it never left my suitcase, it was way too hot and humid for running (hey, I'm Scottish! When I got off the aeroplane at Aberdeen airport it was 14°C, cloudy with a hint of rain, and I thought Yes! This is my kind of weather!) But I was up at 6am for a run this morning and it was my first pain free run in a long time, (it took about 5 days to be completely rid of all my aches and pains) and I thought I would struggle and need to run/walk, but it felt great and I was even running on the road again which I had really missed.
  • bttrthanevr
    Options
    Romy, that's great that your run went so well! Maybe your body needed that vacation. Glad to have you back!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It does sound like you really needed the vacation! Resting *is* as important as running.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Well it looks like I'm going to be having an even longer rest :(
    I have injured my knee, from my symptoms it looks like a medial collateral ligament injury, and I wasn't even running when I did it! It was sore on Tuesday night after I was moving heavy furniture and it proceeded to get worse on Wednesday. Have been resting it as much as possible but even walking more than a few hundred metres is painful and it gets sore sitting at my desk at work (thankfully I'm only part time).
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Sorry to hear that!! Get some rest the next couple of days then start doing some short walks as an active recovery. I hurt my MCL years ago. I think it was a little over a week before I was walking normally without pain, but with a brace.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That sucks, Ro. Are you icing it?
  • romyhorse
    Options

Sorry to hear that!! Get some rest the next couple of days then start doing some short walks as an active recovery. I hurt my MCL years ago. I think it was a little over a week before I was walking normally without pain, but with a brace.

Thanks, glad to know they can heal relatively quickly, hope I will be as lucky as it's 10 weeks till my 10k.

I'm not icing it Varda, there is no heat or swelling so I didn't think it was anything serious till I walked (or should I say hobbled) to work yesterday. I don't have anything to ice it with atm but have been taking iboprofen and keeping it elevated at home and that has been helping.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Injuries are not fun. Not even close. :( I do. not. like. how they keep me from exercise.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I had my first day of run club with a coach (my regular trainer, who is a marathon runner). I was the second slowest person. Everyone else has done at least a half-marathon already...even the slowest person, although she walked half of it.

I ran a 9:33 mile. She said I went out way too fast (how could I not, with all those other runners to keep up with??), and that if I had gone slower, I would have had a much faster mile time. So I need to work on that. I did the first 1/4 mile in 2:02, and it felt like a good pace, I just got wiped out. And nevermind that I desperately needed a bathroom. And Ex-Lax. I need to take that before running club, I guess. Nothing like stirring up the bowels while you are pushing yourself to keep running.

She also got a cadence rate, and mine was 82 (or 164 counting both legs). By the end of training today, I was up to 89. Everyone said my stride is ultra-long, even before we got to the cadence part. Which is funny, because I had the shortest legs there.

I'm excited because even during training, I could tell that this is going to make a vast improvement in my running. I had no idea what to expect before I got there.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    That sounds great Kathleen, even one club run seems to have made a big difference. I miss not having a running club where I live. My hometown had a great running club producing many national athletes, and my Physics teacher held 14 different ultra distance world records and still holds the world record for the 100km (ultra marathon) on the track in 6hrs 10min, (I could probably just about finish a marathon in that time!) but can you imagine how boring that must have been, lol!