Stage 6 Questions (optional stage)

Options

Replies

• katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    After reading all the comments, I've decided. It to skip this step. I will start it next week & I cannot wait! Anyone else starting Stage 6 soon?
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    OK. Just done my last Stage 6 workout A.

Sources of pride: managed 2 x 20-second negative chin-ups and 1 x 15-second chin-up with 5lbs extra (ankle weights). Also managed 15 push-ups x 2.

Sources of frustration - working out at home so no lat pull-down equipment. I think it uses the same muscles as a chin-up, but I can only manage those assisted. Also, this workout only lasted 30 minutes; need to go and do something else now!

Just B to do now, then I'm onto Stage 7 - yippee!
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    OK, I'm done with stage 6! I don't know that I'm that much stronger, but I did find it challenging and I would even say that I quite enjoyed it! The most difficult thing for me was the dumbbell push press - had to go down on the weights and never got fully up again!

Anyway, Stage 7 - here I come!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Officially start Wednesday!! So excited. Looks like I missed you again MissMaggie lol
  • samntha14
    Options
    Did my first workout. Yes,it was freakishly SHORT. I barely worked up a sweat, but my muscles definitely feel it. Those split squats are no joke. I had a trainer show my the negative chin ups and how to use the assist machine. I'm going to have to fine tune that.
    Otherwise I did 100lbs on the under lat pull, and just used the bar for the split squats, and only did 8 push ups per set :(
  • katiedid1226
    Options
    So now I'm half-way done with Stage 6 and I can totally see the improvement in my negative chin-ups. At first I could barely hang from the bar. Now I'm doing 10 of the 20 second negatives with weight-assisted machine, but hardly any weight on there - like I'm at 27.5.

My whole mid section feels it - man I love that!

The split squats are one of my faves. I am up to 20 pounds + the bar and feel sore.

I'm doing the warrior dash in 1.5 weeks so I will be needing this upper body strength. I'm 47 YO and 180 pounds at 5'5" with a hip replacement - if you could have seen me a year ago you would not believe this....I hardly can!
  • katiedid1226
    Options
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    preemptive apology for the negativity, but i think i hate this stage.

i did workout A today, and the negative chins were fine, i could hang on the bar and lower myself slowly. did it 3x.
    i did 10 sets of 2 reps of underhanded pulldowns starting with 100, going up to 110, then finishing the last 3 at 105. that was fine.

the lunges. why 2? i don't feel like i can balance more weight than the bar +20 so 65 on my shoulders (shoulder injury 3 years ago) but when i did 2 lunges i really didn't feel challenged at all. so instead of doing 10 sets of 2, i did 4 sets of 5. i hope that's ok.

and i still can't really do pushups. 2 is about my max, and my hands have to be pretty close to my shoulders, and i can't go all the way to the floor, just right angled elbows.

i don't really care about strength, so i may just skip to 7 unless there's good reason to hang on.
  • samntha14
    Options
    preemptive apology for the negativity, but i think i hate this stage.

i did workout A today, and the negative chins were fine, i could hang on the bar and lower myself slowly. did it 3x.
    i did 10 sets of 2 reps of underhanded pulldowns starting with 100, going up to 110, then finishing the last 3 at 105. that was fine.

the lunges. why 2? i don't feel like i can balance more weight than the bar +20 so 65 on my shoulders (shoulder injury 3 years ago) but when i did 2 lunges i really didn't feel challenged at all. so instead of doing 10 sets of 2, i did 4 sets of 5. i hope that's ok.

and i still can't really do pushups. 2 is about my max, and my hands have to be pretty close to my shoulders, and i can't go all the way to the floor, just right angled elbows.

i don't really care about strength, so i may just skip to 7 unless there's good reason to hang on.
    For the split squats and push ups it's 2 SETS of TEN. That's 10 on each leg so that you are doing 20 altogether.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options

For the split squats and push ups it's 2 SETS of TEN. That's 10 on each leg so that you are doing 20 altogether.

oh!!! i was reading my logging sheet totally wrong then!
    i'll have to pull out a box and try for the 10, because 2 pushups on the floor is my max.

thanks for clarifying for me!
  • samntha14
    Options
    yes, my glutes were screaming this morning. My max was 8 but I know I can do more so i was frustrated by that.
  • foranagirl
    foranagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've read the book and plan on doing this after completing NROL for Abs. Question though--why is Stage 6 optional? Isn't the whole point of the book that we need to get stronger and build muscle so that our metabolisms increase? Why would anyone skip Stage 6? What am I missing? Thanks!!
  • samntha14
    Options
    Not everyone values the strength gains as much as the fat burn for better body and would rather skip it.
  • samntha14
    Options
    WOB was a little harder. Used the 20s for the dumbbell work. Worked up a good sweat :)
  • samntha14
    Options
    the crickets in here are deafening.
  • katiedid1226
    Options
    the crickets in here are deafening.

I agree! Lonely place to be.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Great A2 workout, still perplexed by the FOUR exercises.
    Negative chin up: full 20 sec without weight on the assist machine.
    Under lat pull: 110, I'm pushing this one to get close to body weight.
    split squat: 8 reps x 2 sets at 55lbs. I was getting some looks from the guys on this one
    Push-ups: still 8 :(
  • samntha14
    Options
    Damn I messed up. WOA2 is 2 sets of 8 and WOB2 is 3 sets of 8, I only did 2 :blushing:
    I LOVE stage 6. I feel pumped and I Love getting in and out in a half hour. Kept my weight the same though. It was a rough week lol
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    Damn I messed up. WOA2 is 2 sets of 8 and WOB2 is 3 sets of 8, I only did 2 :blushing:
    I LOVE stage 6. I feel pumped and I Love getting in and out in a half hour. Kept my weight the same though. It was a rough week lol

I loved stage 6 too!

I think you might find you can do negative chin-ups without the assist machine at all ...
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Started Stage 6 today. Took me longer than I thought it should based on the feedback here, but don't think I was really paying attention to the clock much.

The negative chin ups are just awkward and I had a really hard time getting my body straight with my knees bent - also I kept swaying on the way down. Definitely something I need to work on. How do you time yourself when doing this? Do you just count it out? I didn't even try counting today because I knew I would be nowhere near 20 seconds. That's a long time!!!

lat pulldown - 70 lbs
    split squat - 45 lbs
    push ups - 2 sec pause (this was difficult!)