August Challenge - The Binge vs Me

Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    As of August 1, 2012: - Goal not to binge more than 7 days.

Me - 10
    The Binge - 10 (8/1, 8/2, 8/3, 8/4, 8/6, 8/8, 8/9, 8/14, 8/17, 8/19)

Now that I have exceeded 7 days fo binges my new goal is to just to beat the binge. :wink: I am going to leave goal at 7 because I am leaving that number until I succeed at it.:happy:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    As of August 20, 2012
    Goal: to binge no more than 8 days.

Me: 14
    Binge: 6 (8/2; 8/3; 8/4; 8/15; 8/17; 8/18)

Overate last night but wasn't in the binge mindset. I was too lazy to fix dinner so just went to the sandwich shop down the street. The fiance brought Chinese food home for his dinner so I ate a little of that too.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Don't exactly know what was going on today but I have binged already today and it is not even night time so I have to be mindful to recover now and not continue to binge tonight.

Me - 10
    The Binge - 11 (8/1, 8/2, 8/3, 8/4, 8/6, 8/8, 8/9, 8/14, 8/17, 8/19, 8/21)
  • eschorre
    eschorre Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Me 15
    Binge 6

I am counting today as a binge even though I technically didn't go over my calories. I was eating foods because I was stressed with my kids, not healthy. I am finding I will have one or two good days and then a binge-y day. I have decided to change my weight loss goal to losing 1/2 a pound a week. These final 10 pounds I have been trying to get off since January are not coming off and since I am not losing much if I am able to eat more each day maybe that will help? Tomorrow is my weigh in day, and really frustrated I didn't eat very clean today. Oh well, a number is a number and it doesn't define me.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    August 21, 2012
    no more than 10 binge days (my current minimum for a month)
    me: 13
    binge: 8

binges
    Aug 1 mainly Oreos and home made bread. related to stress from crazy kids/lack of sleep due to kids and screwing up a job application deadline.

Aug 9 small binge. I could feel it all day. I finally gave in when I was cleaning up and heating supper for my husband at 9pm

Aug 10 ate a full pack of my daughter's cookies that I don't even like while writing my cover letters for 2 jobs

Aug 11 kids were nuts

Aug 12 kids were nuts

Aug 17, 18, 21 no idea. not a true binge but lots of over eating with little desire to follow my meal plan all day.
  • eschorre
    Options
    Don't exactly know what was going on today but I have binged already today and it is not even night time so I have to be mindful to recover now and not continue to binge tonight.

Mollie--Do you think it is a result of deciding a new weight loss plan?? I don't know sometimes when I stop a program I am awful before beginning a new one because I think "What is the point?" I have to be "good" again soon so I wait until I absolutely HAVE to. Just a thought Mollie. Here is to a fresh start to a new day, beginning NOW ;-)
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    T, August 21, 2012

beatrixia: 16
    binge: 5 (8/1, 8/3, 8/5, 8/9, 8/13)

Feeling those pre-binge feelings. I haven't succumbed, but I have had a few sweets here and there the past few days...it feels like a slippery slope.

This evening, in a frustrating moment I ate two nestle refrigerator cookies before baking them. (I thought when I bought them that having to bake them up a few at a time was a good way to handle portion control. HA! A convenient self-deception, I see now.)

I'm having a hard time concentrating this evening because I'm tired, but I plan to carve out a few minutes in the morning to write/journal to see if that helps me cope with these feelings of frustration & anxiety and quell this binge urge.

~beatrixia
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I went on my daily walk today (a shortened version), even though I really didn't want to do it.

I'm really trying not to let a poor choice in one area create a domino effect in my other wellness areas.

In the past, I tended to let the dominoes fall. For example, if I binged for a few days, maybe I would also stop exercising, stop keeping track of water or meal times, stop taking vitamins. I'm not sure why, but I'd just temporarily stop putting effort into _everything_.

I think if I can keep my routines in place as best I can, I may get back on track food-wise faster than if I didn't.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    As of August 21, 2012
    Goal: to binge no more than 8 days.

Me: 15
    Binge: 6 (8/2; 8/3; 8/4; 8/15; 8/17; 8/18)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    August 2012

Diane : 19
    The Binge: 2
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Mollie--Do you think it is a result of deciding a new weight loss plan?? I don't know sometimes when I stop a program I am awful before beginning a new one because I think "What is the point?" I have to be "good" again soon so I wait until I absolutely HAVE to. Just a thought Mollie. Here is to a fresh start to a new day, beginning NOW ;-)
    I thought of that for sure and that is probably correct but I can not binge until my appointment with coach next week because that will take me to 400 pounds at this rate so I have to get a handle on this. Thanks for verbalizing your thoughts which I was thinking too but ignoring.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Aug 17, 18, 21 no idea. not a true binge but lots of over eating with little desire to follow my meal plan all day.
    That is exactly where I am at too :grumble: I am like on burn out mode but today it stops.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    T, August 21, 2012

beatrixia: 16
    binge: 5 (8/1, 8/3, 8/5, 8/9, 8/13)

Feeling those pre-binge feelings. I haven't succumbed, but I have had a few sweets here and there the past few days...it feels like a slippery slope.

This evening, in a frustrating moment I ate two nestle refrigerator cookies before baking them. (I thought when I bought them that having to bake them up a few at a time was a good way to handle portion control. HA! A convenient self-deception, I see now.)

I'm having a hard time concentrating this evening because I'm tired, but I plan to carve out a few minutes in the morning to write/journal to see if that helps me cope with these feelings of frustration & anxiety and quell this binge urge.

~beatrixia
    Beatrixia,
    I have did this so many times. and when I was in ED program they recommend testing the waters every so often on danger foods. To see if you can tolerate them in house with out binging and you only had 2 cookie dough cookies so you did good. Yes you could have had one but give yourself a pat on the back for not binging and when was the last time you just had 2. You are being mindful of your actions and moods so keep up the good work.

It is good to keep you other healthy habits in place when binging. doing this helps you rebound quickly or sooner than later. I am very consistent with exercise no matter how I eat and/or binge. I just love it and it makes my day better and just makes me more concious of eating better too. I feel healthy when I exercise. I get depressed without exercising or doing something. When I miss more than 2 days of activity I am in the dumps unless I am super busy and had valid reasons why I could not fit in exercise.

So good job on keeping your other healthy habits going!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Happy hump day!!

Everyone is doing great checking in and sharing.

This week I stopped WW and looked into getting a life coach to help me with impulse to use food as a friend.

While shopping for a coach I found one that specializes in binge eating, compulsive over eating. I got the idea from listening to Geneen Roth books. I spoke with her Monday. I saw many weight loss coaches out there but many of the others were like a diet. Her website was screaming to me because her whole website focused on the demons of compulsive overeating and binge eating. In my ED program last year we stopped at my fears and how I was letting them hold me back, so I really want to pick up where I left off last year. I wrote her below email last night: (this was 1 of 3 short emails to give her my background and history so that will be out of the way)

Hi Denise,

You asked me yesterday, what do you want to get out of weight loss coaching?

I am afraid to lose the extra 100+ pounds I need to lose to feel good. I am afraid to let myself be happy. I am afraid to have a normal relationship with a man. My father was abusive (not sexually but mentally and physically to me and my sister and mostly my Mom) Because of this abuse it has made me use pounds to stay safe. I have used food to not take chances on love. I use the fat as a coat to keep me in a cage. I had Gastric Bypass Surgery in 2004 and lost about 300 pounds. Kept off about 220 pounds and gained back about 80 pounds. My highest weight was 611 and lowest weight 302 in 2007. Now I weigh 388. I have been trying to the 80 pounds gained off and then I never reached my ultimate goal of 220 pounds or somewhere around there.

I have looked into having another surgery but I really want to deal with my demons and fears of going to the next level. The weight already lost changed my life so much but I got afraid as I got smaller and got more attention from men so I turned back to my favorite friend of choice – FOOD. Hence current weight gain. I hope working with a weight loss coach will help me not be fearful of what if and a future without a FAT COAT.  I want to get rid of the fear that is holding me back. The fear that is causing me to sabotage myself. I believe I am worth it, that is why I had the 1st surgery. Now I want to take my life to the next level before I hit 50. I pray you are the one to help me 

I look forward to our meeting on phone next week at 7:30pm.

her reply to me
    I commend you for being resourceful and giving yourself that support, including the webinar yesterday.
    I'm glad to know your background and your goals. Yes, staying safe in a more mature, evolved way sounds like the poignant thing to focus on on our coaching call.
    Know that you will get to where you want.
    Warmly,
    Denise

“Know that for every need, you have the means to fill it.” Sanaya Roman, Personal Power through Awareness, 1986

Denise B. Holz
    Weight Loss Coach
    Seattle, WA (206) 242-6224
    www.enlightenedweightloss.com
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    “Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is freedom.” Marilyn Ferguson

Me - 11
    The Binge - 11 (8/1, 8/2, 8/3, 8/4, 8/6, 8/8, 8/9, 8/14, 8/17, 8/19, 8/21)
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    August 22, 2012
    no more than 10 binge days (my current minimum for a month)
    me: 14
    binge: 8

binges
    Aug 1 mainly Oreos and home made bread. related to stress from crazy kids/lack of sleep due to kids and screwing up a job application deadline.

Aug 9 small binge. I could feel it all day. I finally gave in when I was cleaning up and heating supper for my husband at 9pm

Aug 10 ate a full pack of my daughter's cookies that I don't even like while writing my cover letters for 2 jobs

Aug 11 kids were nuts

Aug 12 kids were nuts

I'm trying to figure out this whole moderation thing. If I say I can't have them, I binge out of feeling restricted. Sometimes I buy treats for my husband or daughters but that is a joke because sometimes they don't even know I bought them. Sometimes I buy what I want and I know I will eat the whole package(s?) by supper. Other times I try the moderation approach but that is a super slippery slope plus it means having stuff in the house I like!

I am so jealous of people who say they've lost the taste for treats. I don't know how long that takes although I can say the more treats I eat, the more entitled I feel at every chance. About 10 years ago I was on a super strict diet for some stomach problems for 5 months. I didn't cheat or have anything yummy and after the surgery fixed it, I was eating treats again.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    August 2012

Diane : 20
    The Binge: 2
  • eschorre
    Options
    Me 16
    Binge 6

Here's to a "me" day! Have a great day everyone. We can beat this!!!
  • ActiveYogi
    ActiveYogi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I go through maybe 3-4 days without binging then all of the sudden if a new food is introduced into my house, or if I go over a friend's house, or even when i have a cocktail or two I just lose control and eat everything in sight until I'm physically sick.

I know for a fact that nuts and granola are are triggers for me. I will easily eat two boxed of granola bars in one sitting. Should I remove those items from my house? They're practical snacks for when I am hungry so I'm kind of torn
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    As of 8-22-12
    Me - 14
    Binge - 8