Anyone doing any hiking?

Options
Would love to hear about the hikes that everyone is doing.

Replies

• JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I just climbed two 14ers (peaks over 14,000ft) last week. Feel free to check out my MFP blog I wrote about it with pics included: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/JoniBologna/view/climbing-grays-peak-14-270ft-and-torreys-peak-14-267ft-275568
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    Wow, you're awesome! Loved the mountain pictures there, those are amazing...and the wildlife! Thanks for the blog report!
  • ssdivot
    Options
    I'm planning on doing my first backpacking trip in years next week..it will probably just be one or two nights. I got a new pack to replace my old frameless one, it is a ULA Circuit and it sure looks wonderful. And some new hiking poles to replace the single one from Walmart that I've been using on hikes. I've been hiking a few times with the new ones and having two does wonders for my confidence in my balance on tricky footing (and it seems like I'm always on tricky footing). I also got an Ursack with odor proof liners because my doing the tree hang was a total annoyance in my previous backpacking experiences.

I'm not sure how to put up pictures from my hikes but I'll go try.

Edit: trying to learn how to post pictures

ce3iZ5
  • ssdivot
    Options
    I think i figured it out..here's some pictures from two weeks ago when I went hiking on several days in different spots...we had some late snow one night.

7367489618_39d49facba.jpg[/url]

7367505244_a64b5c8ab5.jpg[/url]

7182276721_f6efaa6914.jpg[/url]

7182281121_6c54c14d2a.jpg[/url]

7367500286_27a903d3e4.jpg[/url]

7182282587_53b0e980d9.jpg[/url]
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    Your pics are amazing. So different than over here in the southeast. ULA's are awesome packs. They just don't fit me good. Can't wait to hear about your backpacking trip.
  • ssdivot
    Options
    I just got my pack all packed up to go on Tuesday morning for either one or two nights! My new pack! My first backpacking trip in years! I hope I didn't forget to pack anything although I went over the checklist three times. It would really be lousy to get out there and have forgotten something vital LOL. Like my hammock tree straps or something. With three pounds of food (which is kind of a lot but well ...ya know how it is!) it weighs 18 lbs. Which surprised me even though it is close to what was figured on this gear list thing I have. That is without water though. I'm kind of nervous but excited too. I've got it narrowed down to two places, either this area where there are no trails but a couple of remote "mystery" multi stage geocaches where you find one and then it will say something like "ok a 244 bearing from here at 1.2 miles" and so on. Or my preferred one is to go to the top of this peak which is remote but doesn't apparently require any real "climbing" but that will depend on if the snow melted off these last couple of weeks, so I won't know til I get up that way...both options are in the same direction. Anyway, can't wait! Here is a picture of my packed up Circuit!

7391385106_47aab0cfd5.jpg
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Spent 4 days in Hells Canyon, OR last month...climbing Mt Adams next week and then off to the Pasayten wilderness the week following. Happy solstice everyone - the season is well upon us!
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    ssdivot, I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Ursack. I've been using the Garcia cans for years and they are _so_ heavy for a small person. Like you, I don't like dealing with hanging and I am often above tree line anyway. Hopefully the Ursack keeps the squirrels out, too!

I'm going on my first trip of the year tomorrow, just a short one. Looking forward to getting out of town and hoping the mosquitos aren't bad yet! We have a nice new 2 person + 1 dog tent that we'll be trying out :happy:
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Great pictures! What kind of snake is that?
  • ssdivot
    Options
    trail_rnr: I think for me the Ursack was a good idea..I'd decided if I was going to get back into backpacking then taking the weight penalty of the bear canister was going to just have to be accepted. The tree hang was always a thorn in my side, the amount of time I spent while tired trying to find a good tree branch then trying to get the rope over it etc etc, well I'm just not good at it. Then came across the Ursack and for my uses think its great. I have so far stayed away from the places where the bears are habituated and know that a bag=food. I think the odorproof liners they sell for them are probably really great too, as they are something like 1000 times more non-permeable to odors than a ziploc. You are supposed to tie the ursack to some kind of immovable object so I'm not sure above treeline what you'd do, maybe hang it over a cliff or something? It definitely will keep out squirrels etc though, it's made of Kevlar. If a bear does decide to have a go at it, I imagine you'd have crushed up food with bear slobber on it though haha! My Ursack with the odorproof liner is 9 ounces.

sweetbippy: Its a gopher snake. We have tons of rattlesnakes but I hardly ever see them. Other people see them all the time so I'm lucky I guess!
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    ssdivot, I see you are in Pioneer! I used to live in Placerville. I am very, very familiar with your neck of the woods (hiking, BC skiing, backpacking). I did a LOT of backpacking in the Sierra, especially the east side out of Bishop. I'm in Utah now but I still really miss the Sierra. We used to go out for 10-14 days at a time, as long as we could go without having to resupply. You are very lucky to live where you do.

I keep saying I am going to buy the Ursack but haven't taken the plunge. I probably will after this weekend and having to carry the can + my food + dog food.
  • ssdivot
    Options
    trail_rnr: Yep this is a wonderful area to live in if you like the outdoors. I have lived here for four years and have not really taken advantage of the outdoor activities available. Alot of the reason being my weight but I am rectifying that situation! Have a great time on your trip!

I just got back from my first backpacking trip in years and wrote a report on the blog here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ssdivot/view/lake-moraine-and-mokelumne-peak-trip-281528

And here are the pictures!!:

http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj576/ssdivot/Hiking/Mokelumne Peak trip 2012/

edit: anyone know why the photobucket link is not clickable? it works if you copy and paste?
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm very late to this thread, BUT I'm doing a lot of late summer hiking this year. My hiking is spent exploring the range to the east of the Salt Lake Valley, the Wasatch. My profile pic is from a hike a did with my husband this past weekend. In mid-September, we're going to be once again hiking Mt. Olympus. Last year I did this by myself. This year my husband is coming with me and we're trying to bring our dog as well if we can get a backpack carrier. (There is an intense scramble at the top that my dog won't be able to do).

Everyone have fun out there!
  • MarisaLWood
    MarisaLWood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    In the past month, I've done four hikes:

1. Attempt on Bandera Mountain on August 4 (turned back 350 vertical feet from the summit, after a 1700'-in-one-mile Class 2 scramble, because I'd run out of water and it was a hot day);

2. A hike to Surprise Lake, off US-2 near Stevens Pass (about 9 miles RT, 2400' gain, with several stream crossings) on August 11;

3. A hike to Summerland, on Mt. Rainier (8 miles RT, 1950' elevation gain) on August 18;

4. A hike to Heliotrope Ridge via the Climber's Route, on Mt. Baker (6.5 miles RT, 2000' elevation gain, again with several stream crossings) on August 26.

This month, I have four hikes planned:

1. Kendall Katwalk, on the PCT near Snoqualmie Pass (11 miles RT, 2700' gain) on September 15;

2. Annette Lake, off I-90 near Snoqualmie Pass (7.5 miles RT, 1400' gain) on September 23;

3. Monte Cristo, off the Mountain Loop Highway in north Snohomish County (~10 miles RT, 400' gain, with one river crossing) on September 29;

4. American Lake, near Mt. Rainier (14 miles RT--a half-marathon!--1000' elevation gain) on September 30.
  • lbowd2
    Options
    Love hiking and am lucky enough to be able to do a fair bit of it. Finished a 4 day hike along the Thorsborne Trail that travels across Hinchinbrook Island World Heritage area (on the Great Barrier Reef - Queensland, Australia), and in a couple of weeks I'm off to do a new 4 day hike through some rainforests north of Brisbane (Conondale Circuit). The only bears we have in my part of the world are Koalas...and they aren't real bears and they're very cute. We do have some very poisonous snakes though, so if you're going to hike around here, then you need some good boots. Always remember...it's not the destination, it's about the experience of getting there. :smile:
  • shady81x
    Options
    Phew ~ some nice photographs u folks have got there!

Loved how the mountains where u are, are so different from the ones I've hiked (I'm in SE Asia, and all I've done so far are a few small mountains in Malaysia). Makes me wish I can afford more vacations & check out mountains outside my continent :bigsmile:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I attempted my second 14er last weekend under a shiny, morning, blue moon. Unfortunately, my knees did not cooperate and I had to give up about 2/3's of the way up. I'm thinking that climbing mountains is not my destiny. :frown: Bums me out.
  • kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was recently in Albuquerque, NM and did a very brief hike along the Sandia Crest trail. I'm a flatlander so being at 10,000+ feet was challenging. It was quite pretty and we arrived just after a rain shower so the air was clean and fresh, smelled nice a piney. As we rode the tram back to town, we spotted a black bear.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I just got back from Peru where I did the Inca trail and the Ausugate trail. Being from sea level, hiking a between 14,000 and 17,000 feet for over a week was brutal.
  • GorgeousNLC
    Options
    I have my first class for my Naturalist Certification this weekend. We will be visiting 4 different types of forests so plenty of hiking. will post some pics later.

LaGondaV