Low Carb Muffin in a Minute!

Options

Replies

• mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    anyone tried these with pumpkin? I'm going to... maybe sometime today!
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Ignore this person's notion of it being '2 carbs' :
    http://www.food.com/recipe/very-low-carb-pumpkin-muffin-in-a-minute-mim-462866

But this looks heavenly! I may have it for breakfast!
  • Christiuvita
    Options
    Sounds delicious!!!!!
  • hollymedic
    Options
    i dont know whether im making it wrong but ive tried making it 2ce and has a really weird nasty almost salty taste to it? but made it with all the original ingredients? where can i be going wrong?

xXxyummymummy, Could you be using Baking SODA instead of baking POWDER?
  • mstorvik
    Options
    i dont know whether im making it wrong but ive tried making it 2ce and has a really weird nasty almost salty taste to it? but made it with all the original ingredients? where can i be going wrong?

xXxyummymummy, Could you be using Baking SODA instead of baking POWDER?

I bet they are!! In other news, I DO add salt to it because I think it needs it.
  • Christiuvita
    Options
    I tried it yesterday. One sweet and one savory.

The sweet: It was the first one so it paid for my unexperience . Tasted good, a bit dry and not that sweet for my taste ( i didn't have a splenda packet so I guesstimated - maybe it wasn't enough) so I used cream cheese with granulated splenda to add sweetness and a bit of moisture.

Immediately after I went and made a savory one: A pinch of splenda, added some salt, pepper, rosemary and some other herb I don't remember. I increased to 2 tsp of butter instead of one. I did not use a cup but rather a square tupperware and sliced it in the middle,because I had a plan with it. HAMBURGER BUNS!

I didn't try it that night since the buns were for lunch today. I kept them in the same tupperware. And assemble it at the office (10-15 seconds in the microwave) added the homemade burger (with bacon bits inside) muenster cheese, lettuce and tomato. I did not add any condiment so I'm not sure if ketchup , mustard or mayo may soak them. but it was AH-MAZING!!!!

So I will try the sweet ones again (not today since I already had one) but I'm so glad to have a fiber source I enjoy eating. THANKS!!! :)
  • wendytc
    wendytc Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Can't wait to try it!
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I made a similar one, i got the recipe from another MFPer. For 2 servings i used 4 tablespoons ground flax,1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon splenda, Mix then add 1 egg, Mix well.

for flavourings I added 5g of lidl dark choc with raspberry roughly chopped into chips using a knife with the dry ingredients.
    I chopped up 2 fresh strawberries added at the end. and mixed.
    I divided into 2 mugs, one put into fridge covered with cling film for next day.
    Cooked one for 1 minute in 850w microwave. serve with a tablespoon of creme fraiche.

yummy! Kind of tastes like a dense bran muffin.

Without creme fraiche Carbs =5g (3g fibre) calories=65 fat=2g
    With creme fraiche Carbs =6g calories=153 fat=3g
    Values worked out from MFP
  • samko1976
    Options
    And if anyone in the UK wants to by flaxseed...Both unground and ground can be found here..

http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/flaxseed.html

I but the unground version in a kilo bag for £3.29

And thats a lot of muffins.. ;o)

Cool!! Looking for a cheap alternative if Holland and Barrett stop their buy 1 get 1 half price offer for the ground.
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Tried my first one this morning and would have turned my nose up at it back in June when I was addicted to carbs. But it wasn't bad, along with plenty of coffee and cream cheese. I like the idea of just making one fresh and not having a whole plate of them to tempt me later. Although they're really not all that tempting come to think of it. Thanks for the recipes. Great idea.
  • samko1976
    Options
    Sorry
    keep on posting but had a cinnamon mim with a cream cheese frosting to dip the muffin into.
    Frosting
    1 tablespoon double/heavy cream
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 heaped teaspoon cream cheese
    vanilla essence
    1 teaspoon splenda.

I made this in a little espresso mug as a side dip so that it did not melt. used teaspoon to take some of the muffin and dip into frosting. So similar to a cupcake!
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Omg I loved this! I was skeptic about the bread thing until I tried it today and it tasted amazing. Thanks for sharing those recipes! You've made my day! x

Another former skeptic here. Just tried my first yesterday using a combo of flax meal and almond meal. It was perfect. Looking forward to trying some other sweet and savory variations.
  • StarLeopard
    Options
    I tried the savory version today and also used half almond meal/flour and half flax meal. (The almond flour adds 1.5 net carbs to each serving.) It was great with eggs and sausage. My wife added a quarter cup of shredded cheddar cheese and a little cream to hers, and it was much more moist. You can definitely play around with this recipe to suit your tastes. I'm thinking jalapeños would be good. :embarassed:
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I tried the savory version today and also used half almond meal/flour and half flax meal. (The almond flour adds 1.5 net carbs to each serving.) It was great with eggs and sausage. My wife added a quarter cup of shredded cheddar cheese and a little cream to hers, and it was much more moist. You can definitely play around with this recipe to suit your tastes. I'm thinking jalapeños would be good. :embarassed:

Yes- Jalapenos are good!!

I've made one with chopped black olives & sundried tomatoes too.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly but do you have to cook it in a microwave? Will it turn out in a regular oven?
  • samko1976
    Options
    Found this on an atkins website
    MiO (MUFFIN IN OVEN)
    In a pyrex/anchor custard cup:

Recipe as in original post by Laura

Bake 325 F for 15-17 minutes.

http://www.minimins.com/atkins-recipes/139295-mims-flaxseed-recipes.html
  • ander217
    Options
    I've been making these ever since I started Atkins nearly two years ago. I find I much prefer golden flaxmeal over the brown. I buy Bob's organic golden flaxmeal from Amazon.com.
    Our favorite way to eat these is to turn one on its side and using a serrated knife, slice it into four slices. Top two slices with SF cream cheese frosting or whipped cream, top with another slice, drizzle with sugar-free strawberry or raspberry sauce (homemade by cooking berries with a little sweetener), then top with SF whipped cream and a few raw berries. It's our go-to dessert for special nights.
    These dry out quickly so we try to make them just before we eat them.
    Everyone's microwave is different so experiment with the proper cooking time for your own. Cook just until they are cooked through in the middle.
    I've now switched from Atkins to more Paleo so no more artificial sweeteners, but I'm finding that I like them cooked with a tsp.or two of raisins or chopped dates and a little coconut milk poured on top to serve. (Cavemen cooked in microwaves, right??? :wink: )
  • StarLeopard
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I tried the chocolate (with a few blueberries) over the weekend and couldn't really taste the chocolate that much. Think I will try the cream cheese with chocolate topping next time. And, time permitting, the oven instead of the microwave. If these can help you stay with your low carb lifestyle, then they are worth their weight in gold flax meal. :happy:
  • samko1976
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. I tried the chocolate (with a few blueberries) over the weekend and couldn't really taste the chocolate that much. Think I will try the cream cheese with chocolate topping next time. And, time permitting, the oven instead of the microwave. If these can help you stay with your low carb lifestyle, then they are worth their weight in gold flax meal. :happy:
    It's definitely worth experimenting with the chocolate. I increased the quality of the cocoa (cheap value to Green and Black's) but still wasn't chocolatey enough for me. I have in the past chipped 5g of 70% dark chocolate into the muffin and this seems to work better for chocolate taste. Let us know if it makes a difference baking in the oven :happy:
  • LooneyBruni
    LooneyBruni Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump