Low Carb Muffin in a Minute!

Options

Replies

• xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I made this for the first time tonight... holy crap! I'm in HEAVEN! I want to make one of these every day now!
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Because I have issues with dry eyes and such on my HFLC diet, I make them with sweet potato now! Man I love these things! And to the poster who said golden flax tasted better - yeah, I agree!

I notice that even though I use a packet of splenda, it doesn't seem sweet... but I am all about that. If I want sweet, I will whip up something in my blander ;)
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Let us know if it makes a difference baking in the oven.
    Works great in the oven and my wife thought it was much better. I used a toaster oven at 325 deg. for 16 minutes and put them in a standard muffin tin. Didn't think they were quite done so gave them a couple more minutes on bake and 2-3 minutes more under the broiler to brown the tops. Next time I'll try a regular oven and bump the heat up to 350-375 for something like 12-14 minutes to see how that works. If you have the time and electricity I'd recommend the oven for aesthetic appeal. Otherwise they taste about the same as from the microwave. They are really more bread-like than muffin-like though. I'm still working on making them moister.
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Let us know if it makes a difference baking in the oven.
    Works great in the oven and my wife thought it was much better. I used a toaster oven at 325 deg. for 16 minutes and put them in a standard muffin tin. Didn't think they were quite done so gave them a couple more minutes on bake and 2-3 minutes more under the broiler to brown the tops. Next time I'll try a regular oven and bump the heat up to 350-375 for something like 12-14 minutes to see how that works. If you have the time and electricity I'd recommend the oven for aesthetic appeal. Otherwise they taste about the same as from the microwave. They are really more bread-like than muffin-like though. I'm still working on making them moister.
    Cool. I love experimenting too with food to get it perfect too :smile: I'll give a go in the oven when I have time
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Just made a MIM that was AMAZING!

I used

1/4 cup golden flaxseed meal
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp granulated splenda
    1 tsp coconut oil
    1/4 cup pumpkin puree
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 tsp torani SF caramel syrup

I divided the mix between 2 mugs and microwaved each cup for 1 1/2 minutes. They came out SUPER moist and delicious!! Enjoy!!

Later I am going to try to increase the recipe and bake it in the oven to see how it comes out. Will update :)
  • chelw727
    chelw727 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for these recipes! Just tried the original and it was amazing! I also added some pumpkin pie spice!
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    bump
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    OMG. I don't know why I didn't make these sooner. I used egg beaters and omitted the butter.

I topped it with "cream cheese frosting"
    1 TBS low fat cream cheese
    1 TBS 100% pure pumpkin
    1 packet of splenda
    1 shake of pumpkin pie spice
    Mixed it together and topped my muffin with it.

I can't wait to make a savory one!
  • Perdy64
    Perdy64 Posts: 22
    Options
    Bump! Great Idea!!
  • LuanaonMaui
    Options
    Don't know what I'm doing wrong. I followed the original recipe posted..twice.

Mine got nice and puffy looking in the microwave, but then almost completely deflated and shrunk up. Tasted ok, but really dense. And it looked *nothing* like the great pix people have posted on here. :(
  • Tobethin608
    Tobethin608 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    OMG! I just made this and it is wonderful! Even my husband, who is pretty picky loves it!
    He wants me to make the savory next. :bigsmile:
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I've been making the original cinnamon one. I like it for breakfast. I made a chocolate one at a friend's house to show her. She liked it but we both agreed it was not chocolaty enough and needed a bit more splenda. One way to boast the flavor of chocolate is to add vanilla. I have lost my can of cocoa. I will have to clean out my cupboards to find where it went.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've been making these for a couple of weeks now and just wow, a real game changer! I'm probably making one every other day.

I wasn't missing bread for the bread itself do much, more the functionality. The ability to turn a few rashers of bacon into something more.

I don't have a microwave so have been using the oven instead. I have a baking tray with shallow round holes on it (retailer called a Yorkshire pudding tray but god knows how you'd fit far and batter mix in them, way too shallow!)
    I spread half the mix in two holes and bake, end up with two halfs just like a small bap. I've been using for burgers, sandwiches etc.

I have only tried the original savoury version so far but might have to venture into the other versions soon.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I found the chocolate ones to not taste very chocolaty and not sweet enough. I adjusted the recipe by using 2 packets of splenda and added a touch of vanilla. It tastes just like chocolate cake.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I found the chocolate ones to not taste very chocolaty and not sweet enough. I adjusted the recipe by using 2 packets of splenda and added a touch of vanilla. It tastes just like chocolate cake.

I found the same. I used 2 tsp of canderel though as that's what I had. I've read since though that it's not really suited to baking so figure this might be what the problem was. Will be looking out to get some Splenda.
  • diinva
    diinva Posts: 57
    Options
    bump!
  • kevokie
    kevokie Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just made one of these and....wow! I'm pretty impressed. I'll make a savory version next and try to make a grilled cheese with it.
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    Just experimented with these for the first time so I'm in the trial and error phase.

Currently I'm using either almond or coconut flour instead of flax only because I've not picked any up yet.

The one I've made so far that I REALLY like uses the original recipe and using coconut flour for the base - to make it a touch sweeter I use 2 Splenda's and nuke it in a small 6" ramekin. It's very dense, which I don't mind. I actually popped it out of the ramekin and put it right in the toaster. When that popped up, I put it on a plate and topped with just a touch of butter.

Loved the flavor, would like to see a little more fluffiness, but meh, just makes me drink my water ;) , all in all I love this "treat" and look forward to trying out some other varieties!
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    About the coconut flour - figured out what it was. Never particularly used it before, but looked it up before purchasing seeing others use it as an alternative to flax - found out it's a "pretty thirsty" type of flour and it's been noted that only about 1Tbsp is needed compared to the 1/4 so I've got a good reason to experiment today :D
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, Flax is gluten free.

Also, forgot to add for my fellow UK peeps- Flax seed is also known as Linseed in the UK. Tesco's, Asda & Morrisons all sell linseed and Holland & Barrett sell ground flax/linseed.

Its also easily available on amazon.

Thanks for this Laura - got some from Holland and Barrett and had one for breakfast this morning (smeared with coconut oil rather than butter). Really good to have something other than eggs or bacon for breakfast!