how much weight have you gained

Options

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Here I am for my weekly update yet again - starting my 3rd trimester now! I guess this is where the scale is supposed to sky rocket?! Strangely enough, I saw more of a gain this week.

At 8 weeks pregnant I was +6lbs
    at 10 weeks pregnant I was +11lbs
    at 11 weeks pregnant I was +10 lbs
    At 12 weeks +8lbs
    At 13 weeks +10lbs
    At 14 weeks + 12 lbs
    At 15 weeks + 9lbs
    At 16 weeks + 10.5 lbs
    At 17 weeks + 12.5 lbs
    At the never-ending 18 weeks + 16lbs
    19 weeks + 14.5 lbs
    20 weeks + 20 lbs
    21 weeks + 17 lbs
    22 weeks + 18.5 lbs
    23 weeks + 17 lbs
    24 weeks + 18 lbs
    25 weeks + 17.5 lbs
    26 weeks + 18.5 lbs
    27 weeks + 21 lbs

All I can say is, pregnancy is weird.

You are giving me hope that all is not lost even though I've gained 7 or so pounds by 11 weeks. I felt like I must be doomed to gain 60+ like I did last time until I saw your post, so thank you!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I think as long as we are trying and conscious what else can you do? just be mindful and what happens happens. I have not changed my eating habits and I have weeks I gain a lot and weeks I don't gain anything and I always eat the same. I eat healthy 85% of the time. I still have icecream often, chocolate often, and junk food. But I am mindful and its all about portion control. I eat out every now and then. When I do eat out I look for the healthier options. Such as grilled chicken sandwich from Mcdonalds, rather than a quarter pounder. Or if I eat mexican, I will get fajitas cause its the "healthiest" option compared to enchiladas and such. I was eating WAY cleaner before being pregnant, but I am allowing myself to indulge on some kind of junk at least once a day. Lol.

It seems like lately we have been seeing a lot of my husband's family, which means we have been going out to eat a lot. You know what? It's good! My husband and I hardly ever go out to eat. It's something to enjoy because it doesn't happen often. We go eat pizza or Mexican or whatever, and I eat what I feel like eating at that particular moment. Do I stuff myself until I can't breathe? No! But the rest of the time I am eating at home and in my office, and it's food I've purchased at the supermarket. Sure, it's not all vegetables and organic, gluten-free whatever, but it's not a Big Mac, either. (Sometimes it's PB&J. What of it?)

I am going to gain weight. Can I keep it from getting unreasonable? Yes. Can I keep it from being more than 25 pounds or whatever semi-arbitrary limit I've put on myself? Maybe, maybe not. It's not worth stressing about. As Jenny_Rose said, we shouldn't be beating ourselves up about it.

After reading all of this, I feel so GOOD! I don't feel like a cow. That doesn't mean I'm going to go eat a half-gallon of ice cream followed by all the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups I can eat, but it also means that if I steal a few Cheez-Its from my husband, it will be ok.

Thanks, ladies!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Y'all made me feel a trillion times better today, so thank you for the perspective and feel free to remind me of all of this again when I freak out again in a few weeks :)

In the meantime, I'm going to take the suggestions from many of you (some of which was posted on my wall) and put the scale away for a bit. I'm still going to weigh, but I'm hoping to go back to weekly. I think I still need to weigh in because I can go down a dangerous path when I don't (the scale keeps me accountable). But, I'm going to just take it as it comes and try not to get so worked up about it when huge gains happen!
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am 14 weeks and 1 day, and I have gained 4 lbs. I really try not to focus on the scale too much right now, because the big picture is so much more than that. But this thread does make me feel better, knowing that there is such a wide range of what "normal" is. I know that I am doing better than I did while pregnant with both my kids, so that in itself is a victory :wink: Keep up the good work ladies, and try to focus on the really important part- getting the best nutrition for yourself and your little blessing. :heart:
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    34 weeks and I am up to 7lbs gained total for the pregnancy hopefully I can stay at this till the end.
  • kapzilla
    kapzilla Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Almost 18 weeks, and I'm at 2 pounds gained. I'm a strict diet for diabetes though, so I'm definitely not the norm!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    sooo...after remaining steady for about 2 months, I gained 6-7lbs between last Friday and this morning. I'm 29 weeks and up 30.5lbs now - each day I was hoping it would go away, but it seems to be sticking around. Trying not to panic, but really? 7lbs in 5 days? No swelling, no constipation, nothing - bahhhh! Welcome to third trimester nonsense, right?

Of course we've all had the shake-your-head-and-wonder gains but you're about where I was at 28 weeks! I think I was up 30lbs and here I am at 36 weeks and I've only put on 4 more lbs in the last 8 weeks....so mine has slowed tremendously! Partly due to lack of appetite, better choices, and exercising 30 min/day. So it is possible that it could slow down. Shoot in my second trimester I had managed to gain 11 in four weeks? Crazy! Haha I didn't think there was hope but there is :)
  • MrsCarter00
    Options
    34 weeks and I am up to 7lbs gained total for the pregnancy hopefully I can stay at this till the end.

That's great girl!!!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    sooo...after remaining steady for about 2 months, I gained 6-7lbs between last Friday and this morning. I'm 29 weeks and up 30.5lbs now - each day I was hoping it would go away, but it seems to be sticking around. Trying not to panic, but really? 7lbs in 5 days? No swelling, no constipation, nothing - bahhhh! Welcome to third trimester nonsense, right?

Of course we've all had the shake-your-head-and-wonder gains but you're about where I was at 28 weeks! I think I was up 30lbs and here I am at 36 weeks and I've only put on 4 more lbs in the last 8 weeks....so mine has slowed tremendously! Partly due to lack of appetite, better choices, and exercising 30 min/day. So it is possible that it could slow down. Shoot in my second trimester I had managed to gain 11 in four weeks? Crazy! Haha I didn't think there was hope but there is :)

I had a month like that too in the 2nd trimester where I gained around 10lbs, it's crazy. Mine slowed at the first of the 3rd trimester, but then picked back up, I'm hoping it's mostly water retention, but I have been eating worse too!
  • MrsCarter00
    Options

I had a month like that too in the 2nd trimester where I gained around 10lbs, it's crazy. Mine slowed at the first of the 3rd trimester, but then picked back up, I'm hoping it's mostly water retention, but I have been eating worse too!

I have been doing everything in my power to eat well!!!!! I guess that's also why my weight gain has been on my side! I ate like crap for most of my first 2 trimesters so I feel like now is my chance to really buckle down and be good!!! Although I do have a baby shower this weekend (and there will be cake of course) and I am a little afraid of thanksgiving bc of all the sweets lol
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options

That's great girl!!!

This is an honest question, I am not trying to attack or offend- is this a healthy weight gain for pregnancy? My previous baby was born 4 years ago, and then the recommended gain was 15 lbs for a heavier person, 20-25 for someone at a healthy weight, and 30-ish for someone who was under weight. I know there is a wide range of normal, so I am just trying to get an idea.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

That's great girl!!!

This is an honest question, I am not trying to attack or offend- is this a healthy weight gain for pregnancy? My previous baby was born 4 years ago, and then the recommended gain was 15 lbs for a heavier person, 20-25 for someone at a healthy weight, and 30-ish for someone who was under weight. I know there is a wide range of normal, so I am just trying to get an idea.

I think it's healthy...

I have heard that some women even lose weight during pregnancy if they start out overweight.

On the other hand, my mom, who is 5'8 and 130 pounds (and probably weighed less when she was younger), just told me she only gained 14 with both me and my brother. My MIL who is 5'2" and maybe 100 pounds sopping wet, gained 19, 15, and 10 with her three pregnancies respectively. Both my mom and MIL swear they were stuffing themselves and eating for two. All of us babes came out healthy.

Now, that said, I am at 34 weeks and have gained 32, so basically a pound a week. I have friends who gained more. A really good friend of mine gained 60 with each of her pregnancies. She started out at a normal weight and went back to a normal weight both times too. (God help me that I have the same good fortune!)

I know the weight gain recommendations are there for a reason (so people don't go crazy under or over), but now as I am really in this whole pregnancy thing myself, I wonder about them...
  • woodmouse
    woodmouse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was freaking out a little then one of MFP pals mentioned I should read these posts. Feeling much better now. I am 23 weeks pregnant and have gained 25 pounds- quite a lot but I put most of it on in the first trimester when I was keeping nausea at bay with baguettes (yes baguettes... plural). I'm back to tracking cals now and I'm being pretty consistent and trying to eat lots of protein & fruit/veg.

Main thing is that my baby's healthy so I'd rather put on a little too much than not enough. Getting it off after birth is NOT going to be fun though :sad:
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I'm up 59.4lbs @ 39 weeks....eeeek. Oh well at this point, just hoping it doesn't take too long to lose it. I am now hoping to stay under 220, I am currently 216.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm up 59.4lbs @ 39 weeks....eeeek. Oh well at this point, just hoping it doesn't take too long to lose it. I am now hoping to stay under 220, I am currently 216.
    Yea i hear ya. I have gained so much already that im hoping to keep it under 280lbs!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    31wks +25.0lbs.

looks like its picking up for me again. Last week I had stayed at 23lbs gain. Oh well. Baby is growing!!!
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    At 8 weeks pregnant I was +6lbs
    at 10 weeks pregnant I was +11lbs
    at 11 weeks pregnant I was +10 lbs
    At 12 weeks +8lbs
    At 13 weeks +10lbs
    At 14 weeks + 12 lbs
    At 15 weeks + 9lbs
    At 16 weeks + 10.5 lbs
    At 17 weeks + 12.5 lbs
    At the never-ending 18 weeks + 16lbs
    19 weeks + 14.5 lbs
    20 weeks + 20 lbs
    21 weeks + 17 lbs
    22 weeks + 18.5 lbs
    23 weeks + 17 lbs
    24 weeks + 18 lbs
    25 weeks + 17.5 lbs
    26 weeks + 18.5 lbs
    27 weeks + 21 lbs
    28 weeks + 21 lbs

12 weeks to go!!!! :) I would love to keep this under 30 lbs... but I'm willing to accept under 35 lbs.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Well, after hoping my quick gain all of a sudden was "temporary" over the last week, I guess the extra pounds are here to stay. So, I'm up 30lbs at 30 weeks on my doctor's scale.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    28.5 weeks and up 32 lbs as of this morning. Oh well, I started on the lighter side anyways and I'm a tall girl so I'm trying not to freak out about it.
  • wicklc
    wicklc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    48 pounds at almost 37 weeks- the last 5 I gained definitely water weight...I can tell in my hands face and ankles and feet :/ O well almost done!