how much weight have you gained

Options

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...... I'm a bit self conscious about weight since moving to Australia..... Most people are thin and we live in an area with tons of pregnant people......they are all tiny! Even before I got pregnant I was "big" in comparison at 5'5" and 140ish. I just need to get over it!!!

I was also given zero information or guidelines at the appointment in regards to weight, eating or things to avoid..... Maybe that's normal?

And now that you point it out, I wasn't weighed at my first appointment either... And I've had the same problem, I have to eat every few hours to avoid sickness.

Thanks guys :flowerforyou:

That's the worst! My sister has spent a couple of years living in Paris, and she hated that everyone seems to be naturally thin, meanwhile she was busting her butt running and going to the gym so she could eat the same way they were.

With both pregnancies, my OB did not give me weight gain guidelines, and with my 65-lb gain last time she did not say a word except at one appt where I had gained too quickly since my last one (when I'd gone on a cruise). She threatened to put me on a diet if my next gain was also too fast, but I think I either maintained or lost at my next month's appt.

The only thing she said to me, and probably because I was overweight at the time, was at my first appt the first time I was pregnant, and it was that I only needed an extra 200-300 calories a day, that it was not an excuse to "eat for two."

This time at my first appt she couldn't shut up about how awesome I looked and asked me if I had lost 100 lbs (yes, from my pre-delivery weight). So I guess she figures I will keep it in check this time. Hopefully she's right!
  • Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I went to the Dr. today... up 22 lbs at 25 weeks or 24weeks. They are not really sure which one i am at. i asked her if I had gained to much weight she said no not really. Does it seem like alot at that many weeks?
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I went to the Dr. today... up 22 lbs at 25 weeks or 24weeks. They are not really sure which one i am at. i asked her if I had gained to much weight she said no not really. Does it seem like alot at that many weeks?

Not at all, all of us are different! You might end up tapering off and not gaining for a while. I've gained about 15 lbs at 27 weeks but I was overweight to start with. Like many have said, some women try to control it but it doesn't matter what they eat or what they do for exercise, the body does what it wants!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I just checked, and at 25 weeks I was around a 24lb gain. I'm now 31 weeks and up 31ish...I had a week in the middle where I jumped up 7lbs even though nothing about my food/exercise changed. The other weeks my weight has stayed the same. Our bodies just do what they want whenever they want!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

no that's not alot. I was up about 20lbs at 25wks, I am 32 wks now and up between 25-27lbs. Depends on the day. lol
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: I am 22 weeks and have gained almost 35 lbs.
  • cocolo89
    Options
    here is a breakdown of my weight gain for those of you earlier in pregnancy if you want to compare. I am 32wks today, I usually weigh in on thursdays but weighed in today just to get an idea. I won't count today's weigh in of 27.1lbs. I had a bad weekend/week last week and gained 3lbs and my weight is still fluctuating. I went down 1 lb today and I expect to fluctuate a little less until my final weigh in on Thursday :)

edit** starting weight was 124 pre-pregnancy if that makes a difference.

6: +1.6
    7: +2.1
    8: +2.6
    9: +3.5
    10:+3.9
    11:+4.3
    12:+5.4
    13:+6.7
    14:+8.4
    15: +9.2
    16: +9.5
    17: +9.9
    18: +10.9
    19: +12.8
    20: +13.8
    21 +14.8
    22: +16.2
    23: +18.1
    24: +20.2
    25: +20.8
    26: +21.5
    27: +21.9
    28: +23.2
    29: +23.5
    30: +23.2
    31: +25.4
    32: +27.1 (not my final weigh-in, Thursday is my official weigh day, lol)
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Before I got pregnant, I really thought that I was going to be okay with gaining weight when I was pregnant because I know that it's healthy and that it's not permanent. Then the weight started coming on. I am 24 weeks and at my last appointment, 2 weeks ago, I had gained 18 lbs at 22 weeks. According to my doctor, I should only really gain about 20-25 lbs. Needless to say, I left the appointment upset. On the other hand, my doctor said that I shouldn't worry about it too much and to just keep doing what I'm doing. She also was very sympathetic and actually made me laugh and told me not to weigh myself at home because she didn't want me upsetting myself. She was much more concerned with the fact that I wasn't drinking enough water and got on me for not having a water bottle with me.

I'm trying my best to maintain weight between appointments and hopefully I will. I just have to keep remembering that I'm not being lazy and that I'm not gaining weight because I'm careless. I'm pregnant and my body is doing extraordinary things that I need energy to do.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks RBX :flowerforyou:
  • cocolo89
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: I am 22 weeks and have gained almost 35 lbs.

you look great! you carry your weight very well. Are you tall?
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Just to add my two cents and agreement to what a lot of people are posting here:

I cannot tell you how much time I feel like I wasted freaking out about weight gain. First I was freaking out because I gained 9 pounds in the first trimester, and my doctor said I should try to keep the gain to a minimum of 20 (to avoid adding undue stress to a back issue I have). Then, I was freaking out because I went from a gain of 18 pounds at week 27 to a gain of 30 pounds by week 30. Yes, 12 pounds in 3 weeks. I was convinced I was going to keep gaining 3 pounds a week at that rate. Well, then it stopped, and I've only gained 2 more pounds in the past 5 weeks, for a total of 32 pounds at 35 weeks.

And I feel like I should really stress that there has been barely any difference in what I've been eating all of this time--maintenance plus 300 on a "good" day or plus 500 on a "bad" day.

At this point, it looks like I'll end up gaining between 35-40 pounds. This is double the initial doctor's recommendation, but two things:

1) My back feels better than it did pre-pregnancy right now. I'm not saying the extra weight gain made it feel better, but it doesn't seem like it hurt it either.

2) I am still in the realm of a "normal" weight gain for a woman who started out at my height/weight. Should I really beat myself up for going over a relatively arbitrary number thrown out by a doctor who barely knew my medical history before making his weight gain recommendation?

Weight gain is so weird. Please (learn from the error of my ways and) don't freak out. And just think about how you are growing a beautiful baby in there.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    At 8 weeks pregnant I was +6lbs
    at 10 weeks pregnant I was +11lbs
    at 11 weeks pregnant I was +10 lbs
    At 12 weeks +8lbs
    At 13 weeks +10lbs
    At 14 weeks + 12 lbs
    At 15 weeks + 9lbs
    At 16 weeks + 10.5 lbs
    At 17 weeks + 12.5 lbs
    At the never-ending 18 weeks + 16lbs
    19 weeks + 14.5 lbs
    20 weeks + 20 lbs
    21 weeks + 17 lbs
    22 weeks + 18.5 lbs
    23 weeks + 17 lbs
    24 weeks + 18 lbs
    25 weeks + 17.5 lbs
    26 weeks + 18.5 lbs
    27 weeks + 21 lbs
    28 weeks + 21 lbs
    29 weeks + 22 lbs

A lot of people here are saying that it doesn't matter what you eat, you will gain weight. I don't think I completely agree with that. I've been finding that a)my caloric intake dictates whether or not I will gain weight that week and b) if I do eat "more than usual", I will retain more water! c) weight gain, while not pregnant, is usually 3500 calories/pound but since I've been pregnant, it is more like 2000 calories (above maintenance) per pound. I do believe some of the weight that we gain is water retention though, so that is probably why a pound ends up being 2000 calories rather than 3500.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

A lot of people here are saying that it doesn't matter what you eat, you will gain weight. I don't think I completely agree with that. I've been finding that a)my caloric intake dictates whether or not I will gain weight that week and b) if I do eat "more than usual", I will retain more water! c) weight gain, while not pregnant, is usually 3500 calories/pound but since I've been pregnant, it is more like 2000 calories (above maintenance) per pound. I do believe some of the weight that we gain is water retention though, so that is probably why a pound ends up being 2000 calories rather than 3500.

I agree with you. I think you definitely have some influence on what you gain. I am generous with myself, calorie-wise, but I know if I ate with real abandon, I could easily gain double what I have.

I just worry when I see people freaking out so much or being sad about weight gain while pregnant. And with all the water retention, hormones, and what not, it's just not the same science as calorie-in/calorie-out that so many of us life-long dieters are used to.

This thread made me think about this article: http://nymag.com/nymetro/health/features/9909/
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

I agree with you. I think you definitely have some influence on what you gain. I am generous with myself, calorie-wise, but I know if I ate with real abandon, I could easily gain double what I have.

I just worry when I see people freaking out so much or being sad about weight gain while pregnant. And with all the water retention, hormones, and what not, it's just not the same science as calorie-in/calorie-out that so many of us life-long dieters are used to.

This thread made me think about this article: http://nymag.com/nymetro/health/features/9909/

Great article BTW as it gives an interesting perspective!
    I read it, but it really wasn't that encouraging to read.
    Essentially, it informs women that dieting during pregnancy will most likely not harm their child (see the last page of the article)
    Other than the fact that it shines the light on the problem that all these women have serious self-confidence/weight issues, even when being "normal" weight or "underweight" pregnant women, it really doesn't discourage women from dieting while pregnant.
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think the freaking out is very very very normal. No matter how small or big you start. Gaining weight for a normal person isn't fun to see. Especially to a hormonal pregnant women.
    I think doctors don't inform you enough about making more nutritious choices or explaining u don't "eat for two" and what additional amount to actually eat. and since we are pregnant we feel it won't hurt us much to indulge in the foods that we usually try staying away from when not pregnant. I think everything u do has control over the weight gain especially being wise about food choices and taking the time to exercise. I think if u just say screw it and not look at the scale you'll end up gaining more. I'm talking from experience. But if u do pay closer attention to what u eat u will gain a little less..
  • cocolo89
    Options
    i agree 100% with the 3 ladies above. lol. Whenever I have a crappy week and eat lots of sweets and calories, my gain doubles and it rarely goes back down. I have stayed at a reasonable calorie range even while eating pizza and icecream, but to me, its the foods that count.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Right now I am 20 weeks and i have gained 6 lbs. I am trying to keep my total weight gain below 20 lbs. I am pretty much on target for where I want to be.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    i agree 100% with the 3 ladies above. lol. Whenever I have a crappy week and eat lots of sweets and calories, my gain doubles and it rarely goes back down. I have stayed at a reasonable calorie range even while eating pizza and icecream, but to me, its the foods that count.

I totally agree with all four of the above!!! I had a long stretch where I said eh and did what I wanted, still counting calories but gained a bunch! And since I've pulled the reigns its slowed TREMENDOUSLY! But I will say for SOME I do believe that it doesn't matter what they eat, how much, or how much exercise they do, they will gain no matter what. I've seen this happen to a few friends on here.
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Right now I am 20 weeks and i have gained 6 lbs. I am trying to keep my total weight gain below 20 lbs. I am pretty much on target for where I want to be.

Wtg girl! That's awesome!
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    So far with this pregnancy I have lost around 5 pounds and gained back 1, I'm 13 weeks. Not worried tho cause the belly is def getting bigger.

I will say with my last pregnancy around the 22 wk mark it didn't matter what I ate or what I did I packed on pounds like crazy for a couple weeks. Altho in the end my weight gain was at the higher end of what is considered healthy. What and how much you eat def makes a difference in if you gain to much or not but I also think that sometimes our hormones tell out bodies to store alot more then they normally would lol.