what is your "OMG that was how many Cals" food?

Options

Replies

• rabbitrage
    rabbitrage Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Mee gorgeng instant noodles. I knew they weren't good for me, but 800 cals per pack? D:
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Jersey caramels - 80 calories for two :sad:
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Garlic bread.. I nearly died when I read just how much was in it... I knew it would be up there.. But really

I was thinking it was 'ok' too, until I read the calories. And you can't really heat up a 'serve.' So no more garlic bread unless I am out or have someone to share it with. One stick is almost a full days calories :(
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Garlic bread.. I nearly died when I read just how much was in it... I knew it would be up there.. But really

I was thinking it was 'ok' too, until I read the calories. And you can't really heat up a 'serve.' So no more garlic bread unless I am out or have someone to share it with. One stick is almost a full days calories :(

What I do for garlic bread now is I buy a big bag of the tiny dinner rolls from Woolworths (the really small ones) and I make my own individual serves of garlic bread. I make them up and wrap in foil and freeze. I know exactly how many cals are in each one because I control the amount of butter etc that goes in and they are individual serves. I can ask who wants garlic bread and who doesn't and only toss in the number of rolls that will be eaten so I am not tempted by leftovers. Give it a try :)
  • gypsylosefat
    Options
    Homebrand light fruit cake, its about 230cal per 100g and thats not a big slice i found out. I used to love my fruit cake
  • twentytwelve12
    twentytwelve12 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    noodles
  • gypsylosefat
    Options
    I was eating raw almonds thinking they were ok..... yikes!
    i went by the nutritional panel on the bottom of some smoked almonds and it worke out at off the top of my head around the 80cal mark for 25g. It is sooo wrong, my jaw dropped when i saw what almonds really are. I dont think half the panels are correct.
  • SlidingDown
    SlidingDown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you sooooo much msbunnie68 :flowerforyou: , I should have double checked that one but I thought maybe it was because of a high natural sugar content . . . . off to munch on snow peas!

LOL that scared me! I love snow peas too, had a "oh NO!" moment
    Yes, thank you msbunnie68 for clearing that up.
  • SlidingDown
    SlidingDown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Seconding the comment about Subway cookies. When I have takeaway I make it Subway usually, because I can choose something relatively healthy there. Then my kids, who are likewise having a nice healthy dinner, want cookies for dessert and ever since I checked the value of them I will say flat out "no". It actually makes me a bit angry that Subway present themselves as a healthy/(ier) alternative, and then have sugar-laden/chocolate/fat cookies on display. Of which one would equal more than half the calories of the dinner I just ordered for myself.
  • gypsylosefat
    Options
    I was eating raw almonds thinking they were ok..... yikes!
    i went by the nutritional panel on the bottom of some smoked almonds and it worke out at off the top of my head around the 80cal mark for 25g. It is sooo wrong, my jaw dropped when i saw what almonds really are. I dont think half the panels are correct.
    well i double checked and the little tub of smoked almonds i get that are made here in s.a are indeed only 73 calories per 25grams. must be because they are smoked, they are very little and dry. i will still enjoy them but will stay well clear of the raw ones. :smokin:
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What I do for garlic bread now is I buy a big bag of the tiny dinner rolls from Woolworths (the really small ones) and I make my own individual serves of garlic bread. I make them up and wrap in foil and freeze. I know exactly how many cals are in each one because I control the amount of butter etc that goes in and they are individual serves. I can ask who wants garlic bread and who doesn't and only toss in the number of rolls that will be eaten so I am not tempted by leftovers. Give it a try :)

Oh! brilliant idea! (Very big DUH moment too!)
  • mprezn
    mprezn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Fried Rice..
    It looks so plain sometimes... its rice and some veggies.
    Although I dont know how accurate the calories are online.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Eggs Benny = 1000 calories

ouch
  • LoOPiE_619
    LoOPiE_619 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    MInes not food....its alcohol!
  • TotalTiger
    Options
    Wraps - they seem so good for you but the tortilla wrap itself is laden in calories! Better off with a sandwich.
  • msbunnie68
    Options
    Wraps - they seem so good for you but the tortilla wrap itself is laden in calories! Better off with a sandwich.

I stopped using tortilla wraps and starting using Rye Mountain Bread (flat bread) much better on the cals.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Moutain Bread tastes like cardboard
  • onlythetancan
    Options
    white rice! I cannot believe how many cals are in just 1 cooked cup! and I thought it was a healthy alternative to pasta?
  • msbunnie68
    Options
    white rice! I cannot believe how many cals are in just 1 cooked cup! and I thought it was a healthy alternative to pasta?

rice is one of those funny listings you need to check carefully before entering as one cup of uncooked rice has heaps more calories than one cup of cooked rice.
  • onlythetancan
    Options

rice is one of those funny listings you need to check carefully before entering as one cup of uncooked rice has heaps more calories than one cup of cooked rice.

thanks I will check that in the future