February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm gonna keep running in February too.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Thanks fittree! I love the BADA$$ERY!

BADA$$ *****ES COMMITING SOME SERIOUS BADA$$ERY UP IN HERE! :drinker:

I actually did forget one thing....do any of you yogi's have a recommendation for a beginner yoga DVD? This is something I would like to incorporate but I'm afraid I need a DVD to get started!

Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options

I actually did forget one thing....do any of you yogi's have a recommendation for a beginner yoga DVD? This is something I would like to incorporate but I'm afraid I need a DVD to get started!

I don't have a DVD but I have Yoga apps that I use and like
    not sure if its on iTunes but in android it's called daily yoga
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm not making specific goals. Now that I'm 50 I have decided that I don't need the extra stress from not reaching goals. However this month I am thinking about go kaleo's body recomposition blog post. So I'm eating a lot (as much as I can without gaining), running later on lifting days and taking rest days. I want to increase my lifting weights as much as I can.

Today I broke through the dreaded 65lb overhead press!!! I tried doing warm ups to sneak up on the 70lbs but it didn't work. What did work is adding my 1 lb wrist weights! so I pressed 67lbs 5x5!! I did rest for the full 5 mins because it was hard. But I wanted that increase so bad!!

I squatted 120 and

Dead lifted 155!!! it was hard. I don't know if I will be able the increase the next time but the most important thing is that my back is ok!! I warmed up on the deadlift as well. I think it really makes a difference for me.

I guess one goal is to try to keep my son doing strong lifts as well. He uses dumbbells and has injured his arm at aikido so even if he just does really light weights, or body weight it is just the habit I want to keep going.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

I just looked it up and it apparently costs quite a bit of $$ to get anything good off it....iPhone version anyway? Ugh lol

@ Fisher.....awesome work! Those 1lb weights make all the difference hey?! I also read the body recomp blog on gokaleo and it resonated with me as well. I'm not going crazy, but my decision to eat more is certainly being reinforced between her and Martin Berkhan. I have reduced my hard cardio and am walking instead and I feel way better during my SL workouts :smile:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a fan of the current incarnation of bodyrock, however, I think Teesha (sp?) the yoga lady on there does really well with explaining stretches/poses and how it should look, what to look out for, etc. And its freeeeeeeeee. Just be prepared for a lot of T and A and V. /shudder

ETA: Fisher doing werk on the OHP. Totally motivating me to make sure I hit my 5x5 OHP at the gym tonight. I'm going to tell the bar "I WANNA BE LIKE FISHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR."
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Woo, nice goals all around. :) And yay for bada$$ barbells!

My goal this month is just to keep going with the SL5X5, and adding weight.. here's how I've progressed so far, 3 weeks in:

Squat: 45 > 65
    Deadlift: 50 > 90
    Bench: 30 > 55
    Row: 30 > 50
    OHP: 30 > 40

Also try to stay reasonably close to my cut (I've been going closer to TDEE on rest days). Also would like to start doing hill sprints on one or two off-days. Goal is to see some small, visible results re: bf% by the last week of February. :)
  • JBG1987
    Options
    My goal this month is to lose 10lbs lifting and running.

I also want to continue to add 5-10lbs a workout through the next week and then start to modify (deload).

why do you want to deload? If you can add, keep adding.

I don't want to deload, but I can tell that I am getting close to having to. I can still get the bar up but the exercises are much more challenging now. Just hoping that I don't have to deload until after week 3.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

3) Now today, my shoulder and neck are hurting and my arm and hand are tingling. I've had radiculopathy/muscle spasms in that area for 7 years, and I'm concerned that doing Stronglifts is going to make it worse again. So I don't know what to do. My main goal is to lose body fat in my thighs and butt, and everyone (you guys and others) say lifting heavy is the way to do that. But I'm not sure I can or should be lifting heavy with my shoulder problem. I just googled "weightlifting and pinched nerve" and a lot of people on the bodybuilding.com forums said you simply shouldn't be lifting.

Ok so first thing is - anytime you do dumbbells, assume you'll be doing way less. Dumbbells are harder to stabilize than a barbell.

Second - dumbbells are a LOT harder to stabilize than a barbell. And thus I find I am MUCH more likely to tweak something with them. Again, go light. I realize that's a repeat of the above, but ...yeah.

also bodybuilding.com is not a very reliable source of information. There IS good information there but there's also lots of crap or lots of stuff that doesn't apply to beginners.

So anyway, third - There is a right way to bench and a lot of wrong ways, but the bench press is probably the number one most easy way to injure your shoulders if done wrong. The reason is because if you don't set up your form correctly in the first place, your shoulders end up taking a bunch of rotational strain instead of your chest. Look at this again:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/bench-press-technique.html

And pay particular attention to how her shoulder blades lay against the bench. The back arch is INDICATIVE of this being done correctly -- it took me a long time to understand this, but the back arch itself is not exactly important, the lower back arch is just what happens when you keep your butt on the bench and you have your shoulders/shoulder blades/upper back in the RIGHT position.

so fourth - given your space constraints, one of these is probably your best option. http://www.amazon.com/Valor-BD-3-Squat-Stands/dp/B002CNIML2 although a squat RACK would be better (but take up more space).
  • sarahisme18
    Options

So anyway, third - There is a right way to bench and a lot of wrong ways, but the bench press is probably the number one most easy way to injure your shoulders if done wrong. The reason is because if you don't set up your form correctly in the first place, your shoulders end up taking a bunch of rotational strain instead of your chest. Look at this again:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/bench-press-technique.html

And pay particular attention to how her shoulder blades lay against the bench. The back arch is INDICATIVE of this being done correctly -- it took me a long time to understand this, but the back arch itself is not exactly important, the lower back arch is just what happens when you keep your butt on the bench and you have your shoulders/shoulder blades/upper back in the RIGHT position.

Ooh, this is great. Thank you! I needed this too. :flowerforyou:
  • tameko2
    Options
    Oh yeah so my goals:

Er.

Hrm.

Gonna stick to 2100 for the next 2 weeks. I *might* bump it up again after that. We shall see. I've been hungry the last few days but I've also had some weird things happen (got sick one night and ended the day with like 1400 cals, only because 300 of them were ice cream) I would really REALLY like to see myself back down to the low 160s by June. I think that will be representative of the right amount of fat loss. I may just give up on a so called 'healthy' BMI (it would be 155 for me) as I do not particularly need to be ultra lean. or have super defined abs.

Lifting: Hoping for 185x3 on the deadlift. We'll see. And I would like ot bench 105x4. and 80x2 for hte OHP. and I will be squatting 167.5 for my big workset this month which is more than I have ever done so we'll just see how that goes.
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Finally saying hello on the chat thread after stalking it for two months. I'm not super chatty but will try. I'm from Australia and have been doing 5x5 for just over two months. Current lifting is

Squats 50 kg / 110
    Deadlift 60kg /132
    Press 25kg/ 55
    Bench 31 kg /68.3
    Row 33.5kg / 74

I'm struggling to move up on my press and bench which is frustrating the hell out of me, considering going to 5x3 for my press. I really want to see my scales go down in Feb. I've been eating calories set by heybales spreadsheet and my weight is very very stable, which I guess is good because when I ate under BMR for years it would fluctuate greatly. But I just want those numbers to go down already!
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    I'm not making specific goals. Now that I'm 50 I have decided that I don't need the extra stress from not reaching goals. However this month I am thinking about go kaleo's body recomposition blog post. So I'm eating a lot (as much as I can without gaining), running later on lifting days and taking rest days. I want to increase my lifting weights as much as I can.

That post was great.... thanks for mentioning it! I hadn't seen it before....

Hmm, making me reconsider the cut..... (which is super easy to reconsider, LOL :laugh: )
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options

I just looked it up and it apparently costs quite a bit of $$ to get anything good off it....iPhone version anyway? Ugh lol

I just looked on my iphone its free as it was on android...and there are additional downloads but they were free too.... when I searched the app store fr daiy yoga, it was he 2nd result... with the blue logo Daily Yoga.com

here is a link to their webpage that has diret downloads

http://www.dailyyoga.com/m/
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Giaiam has ome good videos.
    I used to have power Yoga-Flexibility for Beginners by Rodney Yee...it was awesome. I looked and can't find the DVD, but any of his Power Yoga for Flexibility DVDs would be good and not too pricey.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Giaiam has ome good videos.
    I used to have power Yoga-Flexibility for Beginners by Rodney Yee...it was awesome. I looked and can't find the DVD, but any of his Power Yoga for Flexibility DVDs would be good and not too pricey.

Great thanks!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I just want to continue doing stronglifts 3x per week, with maybe some extra bodyweight exercises.
    Also need to get back on my bike, not been cycling in weeks due to the weather here, and cycling is a great love of mine(would be a greater love if motorists weren't intent on killing us all off for having the audacity to use the same roads).
    Want to try and cut down on my dairy and increase my veggie consumption, and also to learn to limit my sugar a bit better as I have a tendency to eat a lot of chocolate some evenings ... addictive stuff.
    Also want to get my waist measurement back to where it was until last October(I had a good 6 weeks of solid, severe, daily binge eating episodes which wreaked havoc on my hard earnt body), ie, 25 inches. It seems to have stuck at 26 right now.

Want to be able to deadlift 50kg by end of month is possible (I am up to 30kg in my second week doing this).
    Want to be able to squat 35kg, overhead 30kg and bench 30kg also.
  • tameko2
    Options

Hmm, making me reconsider the cut..... (which is super easy to reconsider, LOL :laugh: )

I just looked at your pictures. Yes. Try the recomp first.

Faerie wings - 3x5 you mean? 3 sets of 5? Go for it.
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ahh yes 3 x 5 is what I meant. Thanks
  • sarahisme18
    Options

I just looked at your pictures. Yes. Try the recomp first.

Thanks for the validation! Haha, ditch the cut? GLADLY. :) Wheeeee!!! :laugh: