Stage 1

Options

Replies

• Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    jaz - good for you! We are proud of you, too!

daisy - based upon the feedback in the daily thread, I am not going to do AMRAPs

beck, mcbell and coquette - way to overcome extra obstacles!!

deks - funny tan lines! made me smile!

Could sum up what kind of feedback that was? I am still undecided about it...
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Basically, the people who did it said it was not worth it, or they were .bored from a gazillion reps. They weighed in that the goal, from the author's perspective was to show progress, and that they got that feedback from the progression of weights and the tape measure.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Well, lcuconley, I think you have changed my mind. I was thinking about doing the AMRAPs. I've been going back and forth.

More step ups in Stage 2? NNNOOOO!!! :sad: I haven't looked at the book yet, I think I'm scared..lol!

ETA: I did buy some lifting gloves. I'm still trying to decide if I like them. I think they make my hands hot, but they do help with grip. I'm torn.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll be doing the amrap's. I KNOW I've gotten stronger and I'm SO ready to be done with stage one! (3 more lifting days! Woot!)
    Do lifting gloves help with grip? I feel like I could go up in weight on my step ups and lunges but my grip sucks!
    NOT looking forward to more step ups in phase 2! Haha:)
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I find gloves hugely helpful. I have small hands, so I feel like my fingers can't wrap around an olympic barbell or dumbbell grip as well as other people. Before gloves, I always felt like my hands and grip strength were holding back my progress.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll be doing the amrap's. I KNOW I've gotten stronger and I'm SO ready to be done with stage one! (3 more lifting days! Woot!)
    Do lifting gloves help with grip? I feel like I could go up in weight on my step ups and lunges but my grip sucks!

I started using barbells over my shoulders for lunges and step ups. Especially for lunges because after deadlifts my grips are shot!
  • Daisy80
    Options
    Basically, the people who did it said it was not worth it, or they were .bored from a gazillion reps. They weighed in that the goal, from the author's perspective was to show progress, and that they got that feedback from the progression of weights and the tape measure.

Yes I agree with that! I think I'll see how I feel when I come to it...Last time around I did consider to do them..but I do agree that I know I made progress already...
  • Daisy80
    Options
    I don't actually mind step ups that much...I only don't like them because they do take a bit of time to do but I like how I can feel them working my legs!
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think step ups are annoying because it takes twice as long since you have to do full sets on both legs separately, but I was thinking about it today and how it is going to help me hike more awesome trails in the summer so it is all good. And that is why I updated my profile picture... a little inspiration...

Anyway, I increased the height of my step today, so I'm stuck on the same weight, but I'm stepping up higher... I'm thinking that is more important than the heavier weights.
    This is how high I had it for my first three workouts:
    step_zps6295c06c.jpg
    I added just one more riser so the top of my leg is parallel to the ground with my foot is on the step.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I need a proper step. I have a wood box I am using that is not very high. And my bench is too high.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I need a proper step. I have a wood box I am using that is not very high. And my bench is too high.

I'm lucky that there is a gym at work that is reasonable ($) and fairly well equipped... although I wish it had a squat rack, but it has just about everything else.

This is a crazy idea, but maybe see if you can find a chair at a yard sale or something and hack off the legs to the height you need?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Oh, yeah, I forgot I was going to try one of those very short picnic bench things. I think that is not as tall as the weight bench. Just have to go dig one out of the snow and see.
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That happy moment when you realize you suck at math and you've actually been rowing 55lbs rather than 45lbs.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Yea for you!!
  • beckkotsch
    Options
    I find gloves hugely helpful. I have small hands, so I feel like my fingers can't wrap around an olympic barbell or dumbbell grip as well as other people. Before gloves, I always felt like my hands and grip strength were holding back my progress.

I have small hands as well....maybe that's more of my problem?!
  • beckkotsch
    Options

I started using barbells over my shoulders for lunges and step ups. Especially for lunges because after deadlifts my grips are shot!

Good idea! Duh! Haha:)
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    That happy moment when you realize you suck at math and you've actually been rowing 55lbs rather than 45lbs.

I love that!
  • jcjsjones
    Options

I think this is why they seem like such torture to me. My only option is to use the bench. By the time I'm finished, my legs are in pain and my heart is pounding! LOL!
  • jcjsjones
    Options

Woo hoo!!!
  • deksgrl
    Options

I think this is why they seem like such torture to me. My only option is to use the bench. By the time I'm finished, my legs are in pain and my heart is pounding! LOL!

I can't do it on the bench even with any weights, I'd have to like climb on it first like a baby climbing stairs.