Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I am REALLY considering this reset. I was on Medifast for 5/6 months and prior to this I'd go on short bits of eating 1000 calories meanwhile burning 1000 calories off, needless to say that didn't last longer than a month. I didn't know anything about tdee, bmr, muscle loss etc. Had I known I wouldn't have gotten on Medifast nor would I have waited so long to weight train.

I believe my metabolism is jacked because of Medifast. After I got off of it I started MFP, read up on tdee, bmr etc. Anyways I've notice that I only lose weight when I eat 1600 gross (bmr 1550-1580) and do not eat back exercise calories which will leave me a net of 1000-1200 calories. Based off of online calcs my tdee is 2400-2500 calories and a 15%-20% cut should leave me with at the very least of 1900 calories to lose about 1 lb/week.
    This has led me to believe that I may need a metabolism reset.

Right now I'm about 8 lbs from my gw, but 'diets' like Medifast and no weight training has left me with a less desirable body fat. I'm afraid of gaining 10+ lbs as I'm only 178 lbs. Last weigh in I was 180.2 @32.58% bf.

For exercise I weight train 3x/week and do 30 mins on the elliptical 2x/week. I sometimes play basketball 1-2x on the weekend for about 2 hours around 2-3 weekends a month where I burn 700-1500 cals per session.

I would like to get down anywhere between 155-165 (wherever i feel comfortable) with bf% of 21-25%

So I would like to assume I would do a reset for 8-12 weeks or until I consistently gain weight over a period of 3 weeks so I can find my true tdee.

My intake is 1600 gross, so what is the smartest way to up my calories to maintenance without a huge gain of fat? I will still be doing my normal workouts of 3x weight train, 2x cardio.

For days that I play bball and burn 700-1500 calories, how many calories should I eat back?

Is it still possible to lower my body fat % through this process of maintenance? I know I've seen posts where people have lost body fat without losing weight.

Thanks so much for your help!

I'd go up about 200 calories extra a day for 2 wks, or until no gain. So water weight fast and first, and then maybe slow increase.
    So you do need to keep weighing on valid days.
    Then another 200 until no gain, ect.
    If you do this method, good 4 wks at estimated TDEE.

I'd suggest your TDEE level is Lightly Active rounded up though, unless your lifting session is 1 hr solid, even though though, that's only 4 hrs.
    So TDEE 2200, then take deficit when time to.

On basketball weekend, eat back those calories when it really happens. Something like that needs the calories that day, not every other day that week.

And you can lower BF during this process while LBM is increasing. System is so suppressed it's not going to be muscle, but even increased needed water stored is increased metabolism.
    Just really push hard with that lifting. If calories are extra and going to cause gain, might as well be as much muscle as possible.

You may also confirm you are basing this math on the Katch BMR that uses bodyfat estimate, because you likely did burn off some muscle mass from past efforts, which would mean your TDEE isn't that high.
    I'd do BMR multiplier 1.45.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am REALLY considering this reset. I was on Medifast for 5/6 months and prior to this I'd go on short bits of eating 1000 calories meanwhile burning 1000 calories off, needless to say that didn't last longer than a month. I didn't know anything about tdee, bmr, muscle loss etc. Had I known I wouldn't have gotten on Medifast nor would I have waited so long to weight train.

I believe my metabolism is jacked because of Medifast. After I got off of it I started MFP, read up on tdee, bmr etc. Anyways I've notice that I only lose weight when I eat 1600 gross (bmr 1550-1580) and do not eat back exercise calories which will leave me a net of 1000-1200 calories. Based off of online calcs my tdee is 2400-2500 calories and a 15%-20% cut should leave me with at the very least of 1900 calories to lose about 1 lb/week.
    This has led me to believe that I may need a metabolism reset.

Right now I'm about 8 lbs from my gw, but 'diets' like Medifast and no weight training has left me with a less desirable body fat. I'm afraid of gaining 10+ lbs as I'm only 178 lbs. Last weigh in I was 180.2 @32.58% bf.

For exercise I weight train 3x/week and do 30 mins on the elliptical 2x/week. I sometimes play basketball 1-2x on the weekend for about 2 hours around 2-3 weekends a month where I burn 700-1500 cals per session.

I would like to get down anywhere between 155-165 (wherever i feel comfortable) with bf% of 21-25%

So I would like to assume I would do a reset for 8-12 weeks or until I consistently gain weight over a period of 3 weeks so I can find my true tdee.

My intake is 1600 gross, so what is the smartest way to up my calories to maintenance without a huge gain of fat? I will still be doing my normal workouts of 3x weight train, 2x cardio.

For days that I play bball and burn 700-1500 calories, how many calories should I eat back?

Is it still possible to lower my body fat % through this process of maintenance? I know I've seen posts where people have lost body fat without losing weight.

Thanks so much for your help!

I'd go up about 200 calories extra a day for 2 wks, or until no gain. So water weight fast and first, and then maybe slow increase.
    So you do need to keep weighing on valid days.
    Then another 200 until no gain, ect.
    If you do this method, good 4 wks at estimated TDEE.

I'd suggest your TDEE level is Lightly Active rounded up though, unless your lifting session is 1 hr solid, even though though, that's only 4 hrs.
    So TDEE 2200, then take deficit when time to.

On basketball weekend, eat back those calories when it really happens. Something like that needs the calories that day, not every other day that week.

And you can lower BF during this process while LBM is increasing. System is so suppressed it's not going to be muscle, but even increased needed water stored is increased metabolism.
    Just really push hard with that lifting. If calories are extra and going to cause gain, might as well be as much muscle as possible.

You may also confirm you are basing this math on the Katch BMR that uses bodyfat estimate, because you likely did burn off some muscle mass from past efforts, which would mean your TDEE isn't that high.
    I'd do BMR multiplier 1.45.

I'm basing my bf% off of measurements and entering them into the spreadsheet. Do you know how much weight is to be expected and how to know what is a true gain? My weigh in's are on saturdays although I step on the scale everyday. right now since I've began working my lifting has decreased from 1 hr to 45 mins. I've been tired so hoping the increased calories will help with energy so I can extend lifting back to an hour. but you're right it's 3-4 hours/week of exercise. I will use the lightly active multiplier and go from there.

so if I increased by 200 calories/day until I get to about 2200, would I stay at 2200 for 4 weeks to see if I'm losing or gaining? And If I'm losing should I increase by 200 calories for the week to make it 2400? I would stay at 2400 for 4 weeks and go from there? Thanks
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm basing my bf% off of measurements and entering them into the spreadsheet. Do you know how much weight is to be expected and how to know what is a true gain? My weigh in's are on saturdays although I step on the scale everyday. right now since I've began working my lifting has decreased from 1 hr to 45 mins. I've been tired so hoping the increased calories will help with energy so I can extend lifting back to an hour. but you're right it's 3-4 hours/week of exercise. I will use the lightly active multiplier and go from there.

so if I increased by 200 calories/day until I get to about 2200, would I stay at 2200 for 4 weeks to see if I'm losing or gaining? And If I'm losing should I increase by 200 calories for the week to make it 2400? I would stay at 2400 for 4 weeks and go from there? Thanks

Water weight gain is totally variable - depends on how depleted you always kept your glucose stores.
    How much improvement your body finally gets a chance to make with eating more.
    And how slow is your metabolism moving up. For some period of time, you are indeed eating over maintenance until it comes up. Hence the reason to feed a good lifting workout.

Usually the first week will see that fast gain, hence 2 weeks with 200 more daily.
    Then another 2 weeks with 200 more daily.
    If the last few raises up you gain nothing, it means metabolism is moving up fast. You just don't want it to lower fast again, do you?

So Friday is rest day then? And you won't be sore from a late Thu lifting session still.
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels not sore from last workout is only valid weigh in day.

Yes, if you start losing at 2200, increase. Actually, even if you don't for 2 weeks, you still increase by 250 more at that point.
    Because if 2200 is TDEE, and you eat 250 extra daily for 2 weeks - that is 1 lb gain. And you just confirmed what the TDEE is.
    So make sure it's normal weeks of exercise you'll be maintaining.

No need trying to nail down your TDEE when the routine is going to change.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Water weight gain is totally variable - depends on how depleted you always kept your glucose stores.
    How much improvement your body finally gets a chance to make with eating more.
    And how slow is your metabolism moving up. For some period of time, you are indeed eating over maintenance until it comes up. Hence the reason to feed a good lifting workout.

Usually the first week will see that fast gain, hence 2 weeks with 200 more daily.
    Then another 2 weeks with 200 more daily.
    If the last few raises up you gain nothing, it means metabolism is moving up fast. You just don't want it to lower fast again, do you?

So Friday is rest day then? And you won't be sore from a late Thu lifting session still.
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels not sore from last workout is only valid weigh in day.

Yes, if you start losing at 2200, increase. Actually, even if you don't for 2 weeks, you still increase by 250 more at that point.
    Because if 2200 is TDEE, and you eat 250 extra daily for 2 weeks - that is 1 lb gain. And you just confirmed what the TDEE is.
    So make sure it's normal weeks of exercise you'll be maintaining.

No need trying to nail down your TDEE when the routine is going to change.

Oh ok no Sat and Sun are rest days except when playing bball. Although my last lifting session is on friday lately ive rarely been sore. I lift my max and its definitely challenging but more often than not im not sore. I wont change up my routine though.
    Oh ok I get it. I want to get to a point where I'm actually consistently gaining weight, preferably about 1-2lbs over a 2-3 week period to figure out tdee.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Also i heard that with this reset i should continue it until maintenance calories doesnt feel like Im stuffing my face? Is that correct? I remember a week where I was trying to eat 2200 cal and it was very hard I was force feeding myself and i just stopped doing that.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    bump, starting reset tmrw
  • heybales
    Options

Oh ok no Sat and Sun are rest days except when playing bball. Although my last lifting session is on friday lately ive rarely been sore. I lift my max and its definitely challenging but more often than not im not sore. I wont change up my routine though.
    Oh ok I get it. I want to get to a point where I'm actually consistently gaining weight, preferably about 1-2lbs over a 2-3 week period to figure out tdee.

So Mon morning sounds like most valid weigh in day, unless you lose it on sodium levels for eating on Sun.

And being sore is just a tell all, but if you are lifting anywhere half decently, you are retaining water as part of repair process - don't have to be sore still.

You actually want to hit a value of no gain or loss first, then increase 250 more. Of course, if the value you got up to finally has you gaining 1 lb slowly over 2 weeks, then TDEE must be 250 less.
    You do indeed get the idea.
  • heybales
    Options
    Also i heard that with this reset i should continue it until maintenance calories doesnt feel like Im stuffing my face? Is that correct? I remember a week where I was trying to eat 2200 cal and it was very hard I was force feeding myself and i just stopped doing that.

Most will report at some point feeling much hungrier, as metabolism seems to have kicked in. At that point, usually not difficult hitting your goal. Or desire to go over.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Oh ok thank you for your help! Here's to the next 8 weeks and a successful reset :drinker:

I'll take into account the Monday weigh ins, especially if I don't play bball on Sunday evening.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have a question for all of you experienced reset-ers -- Am I supposed to gain weight? If I am not gaining weight, does that mean I haven't found TDEE yet and I need to eat more?

I have been eating to the TDEE recorded by my Fitbit. My Fitbit report for last week shows that my eating is within 100 calories of my burn for the whole week (not per day, but total). So that's pretty darn close. But I don't feel bloated, my jeans feel roomy, and I'm down a half pound on the scale (I weighed three days in a row on two different scales under the same conditions: first thing in the morning before eating in undies only).

Everyone so far has told me that they gained weight at first and knew that the reset was done when they went a few weeks withouth gaining. But if I'm not gaining in the first place, I won't have that indicator.... I was up a bit the first couple days but after one week I'm down 0.5 lbs.
  • amanda_gent
    amanda_gent Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    @ bettyeditor - Terrific that you're taking so well to eating at TDEE! I would say that if you haven't gained yet (and even lost!), you haven't found your true TDEE threshold - that fine line that we all strive to find. If you've only been at this a week or so, keep going with what you're doing and increase by 100-200 calories over what Fitbit tells you you're burning as a test. If you start to gain steadily and don't stabilize you know you've gone beyond your TDEE for now.
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi Gang, New here and have a question. I've actually know about the EM2LW concept for a while but was too scared to try it. I've been stuck at the same weight since Aug 2012 (up and down 3lbs). I figured it's time to try this and see if it would help. I know my metabolism is totally screwed up. I just started month 2 of Insanity and haven't noticed ANY improvements, which makes me believe more that i'm not eating enough. I was eating 1550 - 1600.

Question here ~ When I do the reset, do I need to eat back calories to NET my BMR?

TDEE - 2173
    BMR - 1402

So if I burn more than 771 calories, I'd need to eat more to NET BMR?? I can easily burn that running for an hour, doing Zumba or even some of the longer Insanity workouts.
  • heybales
    Options
    Hi Gang, New here and have a question. I've actually know about the EM2LW concept for a while but was too scared to try it. I've been stuck at the same weight since Aug 2012 (up and down 3lbs). I figured it's time to try this and see if it would help. I know my metabolism is totally screwed up. I just started month 2 of Insanity and haven't noticed ANY improvements, which makes me believe more that i'm not eating enough. I was eating 1550 - 1600.

Question here ~ When I do the reset, do I need to eat back calories to NET my BMR?

TDEE - 2173
    BMR - 1402

So if I burn more than 771 calories, I'd need to eat more to NET BMR?? I can easily burn that running for an hour, doing Zumba or even some of the longer Insanity workouts.

If it appears that majority of days will be 200 or more under BMR, then you selected wrong TDEE level, or need to round up.

If getting close, remember that in a diet you already have account for each hr of your day your sedentary TDEE, about 1402 * 1.25 = 1753 / 24 hrs = 73.

So you could actually burn 844 total reported calories before you'd hit that line.
    And if you have a rest or calmer day before or after those big burn days, you are balanced in 48 hrs anyway.
  • Bettyeditor
    Options
    @amanda_gent, Thanks for the advice. That's pretty much what I was suspecting. I'll try that this week and see if I end up gaining.

It seems kind of surreal that I interrupted a steady flow of weight loss to try and gain weight! LOL But I am actually really excited to heal my metabolism and keep it strong :happy:
  • Bettyeditor
    Options
    I think I found out why I wasn't gaining weight eating at what I thought was my TDEE. I just got my RMR tested today and it was higher than I expected: 1701. I'm really glad to see it higher than I expected! And since I've been eating about 100-200 calories above my Fitbit burn I have managed to gain almost a pound. I think Fitbit was underestimating my BMR.
  • heybales
    Options
    I think I found out why I wasn't gaining weight eating at what I thought was my TDEE. I just got my RMR tested today and it was higher than I expected: 1701. I'm really glad to see it higher than I expected! And since I've been eating about 100-200 calories above my Fitbit burn I have managed to gain almost a pound. I think Fitbit was underestimating my BMR.

That's always good news. It can be adjusted to better reflect that measured value too. Since a good part of the day is indeed BMR level (sleeping) and RMR level (sitting), having that base value correct could make a difference.
    The moving calorie burn should still be correct though.
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just found this page and I think I'm in LOVE! This is JUST what I needed, and somehow came across it (doing a general search for groups). Amazing how things work out. For the past week I have been figuring out what I can do to reset my metabolism as I have some issues to deal with that this will hopefully correct. I haven't ever really done the whole 1200 calories a day intentionally. A couple of years ago I started eating Paleo, low carb, and also started Crossfit. I *thought* I was eating enough (I was always full!), but after a challenge came and my goal to gain weight I learned how little I was eating. I then beefed up my calories to around 3000 a day and gained 10 much needed pounds. Continued on the low-carb train (still figuring out where this falls into everything), continued Crossfit then I hurt my shoulder (ironically NOT Crossfit related!!) and we PCSed across the country and needless to say watching what I ate went out the window and I gained close to another 10 lbs on top of that. I'm now at 140, 5' 4". I recently started the New Rules of Lifting for Women program and have consciously eaten lots of calories. At first it was 1600 because I wanted to get muscle and not gain weight, but for the past almost 2 weeks I have stuck with eating 1950 on rest days, and close to 2300 on workout days. I have been kind of lost. I knew that eating more was what my body needed and it's good, but I am not getting that muscle definition I want! And in come this fabulous page and oodles of info. I still have a lot of reading to do but I think I found my new home.

I haven't weighed myself in 3 weeks, but then I was 140. If I find myself gaining while eating at 1950 a day (my TDEE according to the calculator is 2189), do I still have to increase it to my TDEE? I will try this for 4 weeks (depending on any feedback I get) and see where it takes me. I'm still going to continue with the workout program, I love lifting.

As for the whole carb issue....I need to do more research. I can't eat refined carbs and wheat. And I won't ever. They make me so sick. But, I have tried to keep steady at 100 grams of carbs a day, some days I end up going over. I'm wondering if that is enough. After eating around 50 or less for the past 3 years it's hard to accept carbs as essential. I eat lots of healthy fats. Plenty of protein.

Thanks for reading!!
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    So here goes...I really really want to do this BUT...eating 2300 cals as a part of my reset geeshhhh. After eating so low for so long this sounds foreign to me. I am willing to give it a try in hopes this reset will work but trust and believe I am going in kicking and screaming.

Week one, let's do this.
  • keithf1138
    keithf1138 Posts: 63
    Options
    Think it is about time I do this. About 5 weeks back discovered the BMR/TDEE method, but missed the reset. Really plateauing it seems and it seems that over the past right at about the weight I am currently at between 220 and 230 (about 30-40 above goal) I stall. About 4 years ago is when I really changed my lifestyle. Dropped off about 70 pounds that 1st year between January and November and got to about 240. This was through calorie counting (About 1500 net calories) and working out. From the start working out became permanent, but not always reduced net calories. This January I wanted to push to get rid of the final pounds. Got to around 230 pretty quickly and have really slowed since then. I had hoped to get to 210 before we head to Europe on the 21st for 3 weeks. Not going to happen.

So thinking now I am hearing that I should have done a reset. Before I do have some questions:
    How do I know how long to do the reset?

Thinking I will continue at eating at TDEE-20% until we head to Europe and start the reset with the vacation. Or should I just start now?

What should I expect right away? Should I expect a jump in weight on the scale? Especially with the change in exercise during our trip. Rather than near daily workouts include weights about 3 days a week we will turn to lots of walking (Expect 6-10 miles per day).

Get me started ( my wife as well..She has been stuck right about 132 for weeks )
  • heybales
    Options
    So thinking now I am hearing that I should have done a reset. Before I do have some questions:
    How do I know how long to do the reset?

Thinking I will continue at eating at TDEE-20% until we head to Europe and start the reset with the vacation. Or should I just start now?

What should I expect right away? Should I expect a jump in weight on the scale? Especially with the change in exercise during our trip. Rather than near daily workouts include weights about 3 days a week we will turn to lots of walking (Expect 6-10 miles per day).

Get me started ( my wife as well..She has been stuck right about 132 for weeks )

Until body isn't stressed by the fact there was a deficit in place anymore, and willing to give you full deficit to burn fat. For guys, it'll be quicker. Though as mentioned in other thread, too much exercise is a stress too, so that better simple routine should help that aspect.

I'd start increasing the calories while working out until you take off, and then TDEE for that level of activity while on vacation, since workouts won't be the same, TDEE will change.
    So like 100 extra daily a week at a time.

Right away, probably a water weight gain in first week. That'll confirm if your glucose stores have been always in some level of depleted state, and finally topped them off. Glucose stores with water, 500 calories worth is 1 lb.

Estimate your TDEE right now with how much walking you think you'll do, and have an idea of what will be safe and bad levels.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/961054-spreadsheet-for-bodyfat-bmr-tdee-progress-tracker