5k Training thoughts

Options

Replies

• kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Week 1 done!! :) My average pace today was a 16 minute mile which is pretty good considering its only running 15 seconds at time - I kept going after the mission was over and made it to 2.73 miles before going home, thats over a 4k :) I am so looking forward to week 2!
  • Liz731982
    Liz731982 Posts: 5
    Options
    Flab - That's GREAT! I'm doing The Color Run here in DC on Sunday. Cannot wait. :)
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I tried to walk my usual route yesterday and only made it through 1.5 mi of the 3.5 :( My foot is feeling a lot better, but being constricted in a sneaker doesn't make it happy. I'm supposed to do a 5k walk tomorrow and I think I'll be able to do it, but I don't know how long it'll be until I can run again.
  • dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Bring ibuprofen and ice to that 5K walk... it'll make a big difference if you apply both afterwards.

I'm tempted to start over with the 5K now. Everyone seems to be having so much fun with it!
  • easternNCchick
    easternNCchick Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    week 4 workout 1, what am I in for guys? Start Sunday or Monday
  • melissahopper6
    melissahopper6 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place eastern! I was walking 5k in the months before I started Z5k, and I feel like its finally getting serious, haha
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I tried to walk my usual route yesterday and only made it through 1.5 mi of the 3.5 :( My foot is feeling a lot better, but being constricted in a sneaker doesn't make it happy. I'm supposed to do a 5k walk tomorrow and I think I'll be able to do it, but I don't know how long it'll be until I can run again.

Glad to hear your feeling a bit better! How did you do today? Did you make it without any new injury?

I was able to walk 2 miles today, but still no running for me either. My ankle is getting better (I didn't even make a mile a few days ago). I don't see any running in the immediate future either. I'm so bummed!
  • janeensan
    janeensan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thought it would be good practice as signed up for tough mudder in October.

Ooooh--good for you! That's AWESOME!
    I want to do a Spartan Sprint....
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    week 4 workout 1, what am I in for guys? Start Sunday or Monday

Lots of fun and bragging rights. And some pain, but that sort of comes with the zombie running.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I finished out Week 7 today. Not such a good session but excited to start week 8 on Tuesay! It was too hot when I left, I shoulda known better and waited til sundown but was afraid it would be raining.... I ended up having to walk the last 2 free forms because I was freaked out, my hand felt funny at 2.22 miles and looked at it and it was HUGE swollen bad. Heat had me feeling light headed so I just finished it out walking. Came home drank a Gatorade G2 and felt better, swelling is down now. That was CRAZY!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Thought it would be good practice as signed up for tough mudder in October.

Ooooh--good for you! That's AWESOME!
    I want to do a Spartan Sprint....

TBH I think I must have had a crazy moment when i signed up but it is great incentive.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    That's scary chelle! Be careful out there!
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    So I finally (finally!) took my own advice and went to the specialized running store downtown to get solid advice on what shoes to wear. My New Balance shoes are awesome, but the lack of arch support is most likely the reason I have tendonitis in my right foot, so... I explained my symptoms, the experts in the store agreed, and went on to get me set up with something that both has good arch support, and lots of cushioning for asphalt running. They actually let me take the shoes out for a run on the street outside the store, to test them out thoroughly.

I am now the proud owner of a pair of these expensive monstrosities:

2095109-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Mizuno Wave Rider 16. Very much looking forward to my next run now. :bigsmile:
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Those shoes look awesome!

So on Saturday I participated in my first 5k event. It was the Easter Seals Walk With Me 5K. It's technically a walk vs a run, so I thought it would be a good first event. After hurting my foot last week I wasn't sure I'd be able to do the whole thing, but I did! After the first 5-10 minutes my foot loosened up and I was able to pick up my pace. I ended up walking/running the whole thing. I averaged about 14 min/mi and finished the route in just under 40 minutes. There were only a handful of people who ran the course, so I came in ahead of most everyone. I know the event wasn't a race, but it still felt really great to come in at the head of the pack.

So I think I'm ok to start the ZR! 5K program again! YAY!!!!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Those shoes look awesome!

So on Saturday I participated in my first 5k event. It was the Easter Seals Walk With Me 5K. It's technically a walk vs a run, so I thought it would be a good first event. After hurting my foot last week I wasn't sure I'd be able to do the whole thing, but I did! After the first 5-10 minutes my foot loosened up and I was able to pick up my pace. I ended up walking/running the whole thing. I averaged about 14 min/mi and finished the route in just under 40 minutes. There were only a handful of people who ran the course, so I came in ahead of most everyone. I know the event wasn't a race, but it still felt really great to come in at the head of the pack.

So I think I'm ok to start the ZR! 5K program again! YAY!!!!

Well done especially with the injury. hold on to that feeling next time you having a bad run.
  • Liz731982
    Liz731982 Posts: 5
    Options
    I love this app SO much! I've only trained through week six but was able to run the entire Color Run yesterday here in DC.

You guys are such an inspiration to keep going. :)

Dragon1ady - those are some great looking shoes.
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies!

Well done Steph & Liz!

Chelle, I'm moving to week 8 this week too! So exciting. Sorry you had a scary experience :(

I fell off the wagon big time this weekend. Whoops. Back in the saddle today!
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    Good morning! :)

Nice job sb, especially with the injured foot! And well done Liz as well! I'm looking forward to my own color race now.

The shoes that look red in the picture are actually a deep fuchsia in person. With lime green accents. Like I said, monstrosities. I'm keeping them hidden from my husband so I can shock him with them tonight. :bigsmile:
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    LOL I adore Mizuno's. My friend who runs around 35 miles a week runs in them sometimes. She has a shoe rotation lol
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    I almost ended up with a pair of Nikes, actually, but their arch support wasn't good enough. Pity, the cushioning was like running on a cloud, and they actually looked good. Oh well.