5k Training thoughts

Options

Replies

• dragon1ady
    dragon1ady Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    IDK if you're interested or not, but here are the 3 videos that virtually solved my problem. I'm healing well and working back up to the 3 miles (run/walk) that I was at before the problem.

Not only have you now made interested in YouTube running videos, I'm also very grateful. The rolling pin works awesome for recovering sore muscles after running, and since my tendonitis is in the tendons in my foot (the guy in the third video calls it plantar fasciitis), I've been doing the foot stretch rolling on a food can that he demonstrated. It hurts a little bit, especially the first few times, but it really helps.

My foot feels enormously better! With these exercises and my new shoes, it will be back to normal in no time! So, thank you. :smile:
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For those with pain, Naproxen Sodium (Aleve/Naprosin) has been a huge help to me.

Have any of you tried TRX training? I'm going to the Y tonight to do an intro session. I really need some upper body training help and I've heard really good things about it. I thought it might be a decent cross training activity to do on off days. I've also downloaded New Rules of Lifting for Women and hope to incorporate some free weights into off days as well.

Tomorrow I embark on W4E2!
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    I've also downloaded New Rules of Lifting for Women and hope to incorporate some free weights into off days as well.

Good for you! Lifting is fun. :smile:

Lifting is actually fun for me, and I've discovered it's a great way to boost my self-esteem. Get yourself a notebook or something where you can track what you do (app, paper, whatever), and make sure you date your notes. Being able to flip back to two months ago and then see that the weights you really struggled with them are too light for you to get a good workout out of them now, is a HUGE confidence boost and a very easy way to feel that you're making progress and are accomplishing something.

By the way, I looked up the book you mentioned, and for some twisted reason Amazon is selling the Kindle version for more than the printed version. wtf? Good thing my library has it in ebook format... I borrowed it, and if it's good I may buy it.
  • QJ2013
    QJ2013 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So glad to have found this group! I've been on MFP for about 4 weeks now; just finished W4D1 of the Z5K. Due to a history of foot problems and being told to stay away from high impact exercise, I'm doing it on the elliptical.

The good news is that I've stuck with it longer than I've ever done anything, and my feet are tired but not hurting when I'm done.

I'd like to finish and then go back and try W1D1 outside and see how my body copes with actual running.

Anyone else doing this on the elliptical? Does the accelerometer tracking work with it? (I just figured that out today and will have to try it on my next workout.) How does the elliptical compare to running?

I've signed up for Pretty Muddy in October, and don't want to make a fool of myself.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    Welcome to Abel, QJ! We are always happy to have new runners join us.

Accelerometer should work if you use an armband or a pocket located in a spot that moves with every stride. I know a pedometer clipped to a waist band has difficulties on an elliptical because there isn't enough straight up-down motion.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women, is great! I do this on my off days. WEll, I'm suppose to, life's been crazy lately and my gym isn't 24 hr, so I haven't been the best at getting there some days.

I finished W8W2 today and I was on FIRE lol. My fiance brought me home some blue flavor Gatorade energy chews, I hadn't tired them before they are very yummy and very dangerous, because my pacing went out the window, I was going faster and couldn't really help it. I was doing 16 minute miles instead of 17-18 and got a new 5k PR from 54:30 to 50:05, and that's with the walking included. Very interested to see how my next (last :( ) zombie mission goes with NO walking. So scared! lol

After I finish, I am going to start up the traditional c25k program, I"ll use the Active app. Run it with Zombies Run for the story and supplies, and Nike to track my progress. I am going to use to increase pace. When it says walk, I will do my normal run pace and when it says run I will run faster. And then on off days, I will start doing 400m sprint intervals and running hills. The idea is to imporove my indurance so I can increase my pace.
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    After I finish, I am going to start up the traditional c25k program, I"ll use the Active app. Run it with Zombies Run for the story and supplies, and Nike to track my progress. I am going to use to increase pace. When it says walk, I will do my normal run pace and when it says run I will run faster. And then on off days, I will start doing 400m sprint intervals and running hills. The idea is to imporove my indurance so I can increase my pace.

Will you let me know how that works out, and how the apps work together? I'm doing only Zombies Run now, and I miss the structure and direction of the Z5K workouts. I'm also trying to increase pace and build endurance and this idea sounds like it would work out very nicely.

I read the intro to NRoLfW on my break, and I really like it so far. I like the author's attitude and the way he clearly spells out what the reader can and can't expect to find. (Which means, for anyone who really knows me, I love the fact that for once a book on fitness for women focuses in the fitness part and not on the "you're a girl so you must be careful!" part.)
  • chellebublz
    Options
    Will you let me know how that works out, and how the apps work together? I'm doing only Zombies Run now, and I miss the structure and direction of the Z5K workouts. I'm also trying to increase pace and build endurance and this idea sounds like it would work out very nicely.

I've actually done it once before and it worked out nicely. I started Zombies Run, then Active c25k app, then Nike last and it works flawlessly. And Zombies Run controls my playlist, that way when they talk, the music fades a little so I can hear it. I"m hoping it will help me get faster. I'm going to do my first 5k race on July 4th I think, and I don't want to be as slow as I am now haha.

Nike is my favorite tracking app, I like the challenges and it keeps up with my PR's, if anyone else uses it, feel free to add me (SmokyMonk65473)
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    IDK if you're interested or not, but here are the 3 videos that virtually solved my problem. I'm healing well and working back up to the 3 miles (run/walk) that I was at before the problem.

Not only have you now made interested in YouTube running videos, I'm also very grateful. The rolling pin works awesome for recovering sore muscles after running, and since my tendonitis is in the tendons in my foot (the guy in the third video calls it plantar fasciitis), I've been doing the foot stretch rolling on a food can that he demonstrated. It hurts a little bit, especially the first few times, but it really helps.

My foot feels enormously better! With these exercises and my new shoes, it will be back to normal in no time! So, thank you. :smile:

Excellent!! I'm so glad you found some helpful information in the videos. :)

I've recently found the "Chi Running" videos on youtube.
    They've helped me add some intelligence to my running.
    I found them so helpful, I actually purchased the Chi Running DVD.
    It's really helped me run less willy nilly.
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Chelle, I'm so impressed! You are rocking it! You too, DL!

I am seriously considering joining a gym for the free weights & classes for off days. The 24 hour fitness deal through costco is pretty sweet. I used to lift a lot when I threw discus in high school, but it's been over 10 years. I do a fair amount of lifting for my job, but I feel like I've plateaued a bit and it'd be nice to have some cross training on non-running days.
  • pduk
    pduk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Thought I'd chip into this thread. I am on week 7 of the 5k training, and the next run is the 3rd one, probably tomorrow. I've been amazed at how motivational the app is, and I've been really enjoying my runs which is something that amazes me. I have a sedentary job (in front of a computer all day) and this is really helping on the fitness front. Not much weight has been lost yet but I've gone down a belt notch which I guess means that fat is being replaced by muscle :)

Anyway, I'm getting nervous about the final week and whether I can get through the real 5K run, but I'm also looking forward to graduating from the 5K app and going onto the full app which has been patiently waiting on the phone for a few weeks now.

Cheers

Paul.
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck to our latest additions to the group!

TRX last night was....interesting. The trainer I worked with was great, but man. I sure do feel like I'm being tortured. It made me realize that even though I work hard and sweat a lot doing cardio, it's not a challenge like strength training. OMG, it was a workout unlike any other! Today I'm sore but not uncomfortably so. Which is surprising, because I could barely steer my car on the way home last night. My body was that fatigued. I give it 5 stars for upper body and core and 3 stars for lower body. I just didn't feel like my legs got a serious workout (even with the squats, jumps and mountain climbers) I think it's naturally that way because there is so much of a demand put on the waist up just doing the most basic exercises. I don't know if I'm going to continue it, because I have to do it with the trainer and I'm not sure I can afford private sessions, but if I can get into a small group I'll definitely consider continuing it.

Still reading NRLFW, hoping to start that next week. I'm going to see how my body feels tonight and if my legs are ok I'll do W4E2.
  • janeensan
    janeensan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hiya Pduk/Paul!

Welcome to Able!

You're further along in the app than I am (just finishing week 4). I, too, am looking forward to started the next one.

Cheers!
    Janeen
  • QJ2013
    QJ2013 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I did W4D2 today and turned the accelerometer setting to on. The good news is that I had NONE of the glitch where the prompts or music stop and you have to pause/resume. I was getting those a few times per run before.

Here are my questions for those of you who have been doing this longer (and are using this on a machine vs. outside).

1) Even though I have the distance set to miles, it gave me my distance in steps. I guess b/c I'm not using the GPS. Any guesses on what the average distance per step would be?

2) Even though I used the accelerometer today and got a distance on the app, it still shows no distance on my training log on the website. When I try to edit my runs, it keeps going back to zero.

The other good news is that I made it a little further today and feel good. I don't know why this app is different than the other C25K or any other exercise I've done, but I love it!
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    Hi and welcome to Abel, Paul! :)

I finished the 5K app a little while ago, and for what it's worth, the 5K was not nearly as bad as I built it up to be in my head. I wasn't able to run through the whole thing (for which I have decided to blame my foot injury and inadequate shoes), but I will next time. I have a desk job in front of a PC as well, and I've discovered that y back and shoulders are a lot less tense at the end of the work day since I started this app. Interesting. I'm thinking there may be a connection there.

Sb and chelle and everyone else interested in lifting and/or strength training:

Are you interested in a separate comment thread for discussing that? This group is about a running app, but stronger muscles make for faster runners, and if we start a separate thread this one can stay focused on the 5K app, which will make it easier for anyone who is looking for help or advice about the 5K training. What do you think?
  • lizpirate
    Options
    DL, I love that idea! Do you want to go ahead and start it? It'd be great to have a thread to discuss strength training and other ideas for non-running days.
  • lizpirate
    Options
    Hi everyone

Thought I'd chip into this thread. I am on week 7 of the 5k training, and the next run is the 3rd one, probably tomorrow. I've been amazed at how motivational the app is, and I've been really enjoying my runs which is something that amazes me. I have a sedentary job (in front of a computer all day) and this is really helping on the fitness front. Not much weight has been lost yet but I've gone down a belt notch which I guess means that fat is being replaced by muscle :)

Anyway, I'm getting nervous about the final week and whether I can get through the real 5K run, but I'm also looking forward to graduating from the 5K app and going onto the full app which has been patiently waiting on the phone for a few weeks now.

Cheers

Paul.

Welcome, Paul! Great job on almost being done with the 5K app! I'm in the same place--going to start week 8 hopefully tomorrow.
  • chellebublz
    Options
    I think thats a great idea DL, just let me know where it is so I can find it :D

I have my final mission either tomorrow or Sunday. I'm pretty nervous too, I've not ran 5k without stopping or changing to walking yet. I always find myself looking forward to the walking or stretching parts, so I'm not sure how I"ll do. I might be even slower than I have been lol. I bought some Nike Dri Fit running capris today so I don't have to worry about my pants tomorrow LOL
  • dragon1ady
    Options
    DL, I love that idea! Do you want to go ahead and start it?

Done. I called it "zombies aren't that strong either". :bigsmile:
  • chellebublz
    Options
    Not doing the run today. The bottom of my foot is still sore, I think I would make it through, but I feel safer giving it an extra day to rest. Plus I have a grad party for my cousin to go to in 2 hours so eh, it all works out lol