June check in and chat:June-o mess with these chicks

Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
I present to you the crowd sourced June thread title! Squeezed into 60 characters...

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :drinker:
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Workout B for me last night. I'm digging Saturday evening work-outs. Afternoons are usually busy, but around 8pm it's pretty quiet.
    Squat - 70lbs
    Overhead press - 50lbs - I might be able to do 55lbs next time, but my form was suffering a bit, so I'll probably stick to 50lbs for one more workout.
    Deadlift - 95lbs - and it was easy! I don't know what it was about yesterday, but 95lbs somehow felt lighter than 85lbs. Love those moments!

I'm very soon going to either need to get a set of fractional plates or those adjustable ankle/wrist weights to increase my weight in smaller increments.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I present to you the crowd sourced June thread title! Squeezed into 60 characters...

Fabulous!! Thank you! :drinker:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

Love it!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Great title!!!

Unplanned rest day for me due to far too many drinks last night :sick: :laugh:

I can't wait for my exercise break :smile:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Workout B, unexpectedly as we got back from our mini break earlier than expected.

Squat: NEW WEIGHT 55kg (121lb) 553 (I did 555 but form was breaking down a bit)
    OHP: NEW WEIGHT 32.5kg (71.5lb) 342 (physically couldn't get it up any more!) Wondering if I should go with fractionals or give it the 3 goes and see how it progresses?
    Deadlift: Second attempt at 85kg. I lifted it up and put it down 5 times but I am now seriously worrying about my form, and thinking I'll get a session with one of the trainers (who does competitions) to look at it..

that took an hour and a quarter, and I finished with a HIIT session on the bike. That nearly killed me!
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Today's numbers:
    Squat 120
    OHP 62.5
    Deadlift 165

No change from last workout, but my workout prep last night did not include ice cream, but lots of wine at a grad party. Does.Not.Help.

I do love the June title!

So my numbers are only creeping up and I've been a little disappointed, but on Saturday I was doing my usual incline treadmill workout. I realized that the last few workouts have been getting easier and I'm increasing the intensity and incline. I've been doing the incline treadmill with a weight vest (best prep for backpacking I could come up with) for 2 years. Never really improved a whole lot until recently. The only reason I can think of that it's getting easier is the weight lifting. That makes me very, very happy!! Now I'm excited to get out there with a really heavy pack! Maybe I can carry more cheese:)

So for a short summary....your weight numbers may not be going up that fast, but apparently you're still getting stronger. Yay!
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    hello - just a newbie waving and saying hello - these numbers rock - can't wait till I'm up there with the best of you!
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Love the title!

Macy - my running pace has got faster (to the point that my CV system can't fuel the power my legs can produce) through weightlifting so you may well be right with the backpacking. I'm hiking next weekend for the first time since October (pre-lifting) so I'll let you know if it seems easier :)

Deadlift day today, repeat of last session's weights since it's been *cough* weeks since I last did that workout. It was easier than last time, although I'm not really sure that the combination of Reebok step + cage to get the right height for the rack pulls is exactly kosher.

Split squats. Ow. That is all. That means they're helping, right?
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It took me way too long to get the thread title. Now that I do, I love it. :laugh:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I may be using the boys' youth. Workout bench today. It's small and feeble, but works in a pinch. But with more driving folks than cars at the house, sometimes I's stuck home. And I just can't do weel lifting after dinner.

I also will be trying a refeed this week, I have been feeling extra famished and weak lately. I am being helped with a proper refeed by the awesome folks on the "Eat, Train, Progress" forum.

I'll report back how that goes.
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    At a slight stand still on my squat. I should be at 105, but am not comfortable at anything over 95 right now. I can do 100 but only for 3 out of 5 sets then I have to drop it down. Advice? Should I work at 95 for a week or two to build up or should I start at the specified weight and decrease if needed??

Otherwise all is well. A lady in my gym stopped me the other day and said she has saw me working it and was proud, but that my form wasn't quite right on my rows. She showed me the proper way, and I tried it yesterday with the appropriate amount of weight! I had only been doing 65-70 lbs and that was a struggle. I was able to do 90 lbs the correct way yesterday.. WOOHOO!! :happy: :bigsmile:
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    At a slight stand still on my squat. I should be at 105, but am not comfortable at anything over 95 right now. I can do 100 but only for 3 out of 5 sets then I have to drop it down. Advice? Should I work at 95 for a week or two to build up or should I start at the specified weight and decrease if needed??

Otherwise all is well. A lady in my gym stopped me the other day and said she has saw me working it and was proud, but that my form wasn't quite right on my rows. She showed me the proper way, and I tried it yesterday with the appropriate amount of weight! I had only been doing 65-70 lbs and that was a struggle. I was able to do 90 lbs the correct way yesterday.. WOOHOO!! :happy: :bigsmile:

Try adding an extra rep at 95 on your squats (so 5x6) and see if that helps you get up to 100. And yes - good form on rows is pretty much essential!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    So last week I finished week 12 of SL. I'm still going to be doing the big lifts, but I'm getting a little bored with the routine and just trying to figure out what to switch to. I'm leaning toward Beautiful BadAsz. So while I figure it out this week I'm doing a deloaded 5x5 and fitting in my trail running (should be beautiful on Tues & thurs this week). Plus it's my birfday on Friday and we're going up to the Adirondacks and hopefully do a mountain hike sometime during the weekend if it's not pouring.

This morning - Squats - 115 5x5, really worked on getting low low low ATG
    Bench - 95 5x5, I watched the bench video someone posted (was it jstout?). According to that, my grip has been too a little too close. I moved my hands out a few inches and I could really feel it more in my pecs.
    Rows - didn't do them. I played around with power cleans. I did a 10 lb progression 4x5 from 55 to 85. I'll have to post a form video at some point before I get too heavy on these. And get some mats.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Try adding an extra rep at 95 on your squats (so 5x6) and see if that helps you get up to 100. And yes - good form on rows is pretty much essential!

Yup this ^^^ is what I was going to suggest. Also try going up in smaller weight increments....so like 2lbs at a time instead of 5lbs. If you don't have fractional weights, I highly suggest them. I use contractor size rolls of masking tape lol Try both of these and then let us know if you are still having difficulty :smile:
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    2nd to last workout B for me today in this cycle:

Squats: 10 lb progression in 1x5 sets up to 165
    OHP: Forgot my fractionals, so 5x6 at 70
    Deadlifts: 1x5 at 205 (intentional repeat)

There is a guy at my gym who used to lift for his college team (he is in his 30's now), and when I finished my last set of squats, he told me that I looked really solid, hitting below parallel. Woot! He also said "Unlike most of the people in here, you must know what 90 degrees means." LOL I was glad he said something, because even though my form *felt* good, it's always good to get an outside opinion.

I think I've decided what is going to happen next. I'm going to do SL again, but in a 3x5 format, with weight increases only 1x a week. That way I should have some juice left for some accessory lifts that will help me move towards my pullup/dip/handstand goals. Now I just need to figure out what to do which day to balance everything out. I'll start a separate thread so that I can solicit your sage advice. :smile:

Have a good week everyone!
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    just jumping in to keep up.

I have a confession, though--I've moved away from SL. I started Nia Shanks' (s)hero program on Wednesday. I just needed a little change---and a shorter workout. I loved the first week, but man I feel the cardio burn way more than with SL.

A lot of the lifts are the same, so I'm still gonna hang out with you awesome ladies. C25k is officially dead to me, as my left IT band just wasn't up to it. I'm still gonna walk the 5k I signed up for, though.
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Got a good giggle out of the new thread title!

I did workout B today. The last workout of my 20s. I can't believe I turn 30 tomorrow! :noway:

Squats - 115
    OHP - 65. I've been hanging around 60 - 65 for several weeks. I think I'm going to go for 6x5 next workout and then try to move up.
    Deadlift - 140! Got to put on 45 lb plates for the first time, AND it's the first time I've lifted my bodyweight. :drinker:
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Great title. So glad to be here with you all.

Squat 125 today with some good/some questionable form. Keeping it there for at least one and probably 2 more sessions. Should probably have done that at 120 but I like the number 125 better :)

Bench- Big fat FAIL at 80, LOL. Should've stayed back at 75 as 5 pounds was a big jump and I kinda knew I could/would fail. But, I got good and worked by it and I like that. 4,5,5,5

Row- need to deload and work on form somewhere below 85 pounds. I suck at these and I'm doing bent over rows since I still have little plates on there.

Still having too many days in between workouts for a variety of reasons so I need to tighten up the schedule a little.

**And by the end of the month, I will have squat stands (best we could do with space/convincing hubs that I *needed* this) and my own set up YAY. It got to be too much waiting at the gym some days. AND, the lady in charge was a bit rude when I asked if they'd consider getting another squat rack.

Next year when they call to renew my membership, I will tell them that $$ was already spent on my own lifting set up.
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I did workout B today. The last workout of my 20s. I can't believe I turn 30 tomorrow! :noway:

Squats - 115
    OHP - 65. I've been hanging around 60 - 65 for several weeks. I think I'm going to go for 6x5 next workout and then try to move up.
    Deadlift - 140! Got to put on 45 lb plates for the first time, AND it's the first time I've lifted my bodyweight. :drinker:

Happy early birthday, you young lass you. (I turned 40 2 weeks ago). And awesome numbers--keep up the great work!