June check in and chat:June-o mess with these chicks

Options

Replies

• kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    That seals it. Next time I drive to Michigan, I'm stopping in your neck of the woods, CC, and you have to take me there. :smile:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    CC - I hope you can make it work out to join that gym. It is loads of awesome.

Well, I made it to the gym to do my lifting even after a very rough morning. On for today was squats and bench with accessory lifts.

Squats - 1x5 @ 95, 105, 115
    Bench - 3x5 @ 95

Then I took part in a 30 min HIIT class to help the person leading the class complete her video for evaluation. So that filled in for the accessory lifts. We did clean and presses, bent over rows, squat presses, squat upright rows, and pushups. Then some plyometric and ab work.
  • amyaroja
    amyaroja Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started jogging/running again on my off days. Can't stop coughing for hours afterward. My sis told me it could be asthma. (Duh. I'm a nurse, why didn't I think of that?) It could be a combo of allergies/asthma.

So I went to the doc and he gave me an inhaler, but he seemed somewhat clueless. I may go to a pulmonolgist. Geez, if some easy inhalers could make me breathe better, I could run a lot more! We'll see.

But I won't be stopping lifting anytime soon. I'm still noticing my clothes are fitting better only a month in!
  • nursekern
    nursekern Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Just checking in, total newbie to SL here, just started yesterday, switched from New Rules, so far, LOVING SL! Simple and awesome to increase the weights every workout. And, I <3 squats, so that is pretty fantastic.

You ladies are such a great resource around here, thanks so much! :)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Squats are awesome! My backside is higher and tighter :-)
  • jw203
    jw203 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started just under 4 weeks ago so I'm pretty new to Stronglifts, but this is what I did yesterday:

Squats, 5x5 - 65kg (143lbs)
    OHP, 5x5 - 27.5kg (60lbs)
    Deadlift, 1x5 - 67.5kg (149lbs) - this was over body weight for the first time so I was happy happy happy!!

Loving lifting so far.

This evening's exercise shall be a run in the hills because the weather is too nice to miss out on.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends!

So I struggled for motivation this morning. BAD. I finally made a deal with myself that I would do 3x8 on squats because the idea of going 3x5 with max weight of 147 was NOT floating my boat. Like I WAS NOT doing it. I ended up having a great workout, still with the regular bent over row rather than Pendlay though. 2 SL workouts left and I'm telling you the end cannot come soon enough. 26 weeks is a long time and I need a break. I wanted to go outside and run more than lift....WTF is that? :laugh:
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Last week I thought that this would be a de-load week, since I completed 12 weeks. But my brain can't accept the concept. After my warm-up, I feel good and just go for the heavy weights. I haven't increased, but it's definitely not a de-load. I don't have any soreness, just felt like I should take a break, but can't make myself do it. I guess overall I'm fine with keeping with the heavy stuff. I'll just go with how I feel day to day.

This morning -
    Squats 3x5 @155 - widened my stance a tiny bit to get a little lower after watching a bunch of power lifter videos.
    OHP - tried max reps @75 (did 8-probably could have done 10 except I knew it wasn't really my only set), then 5@80 & 85, then 3@90
    DL - 1x5 @ 185

2 x10 glute bridges and good mornings @75 lbs. I bought a bar pad so I could do glute bridges without the bar cutting into my hips!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Unlike Cleo, my body is sooooooo ready for a deload. So ready that today I just stuck to 3x5's and 3x6's, because it was pretty obvious anything more was not going to happen. That and I was still stiff and DOM-y from Monday, which hasn't happened to me since my first month of lifting tells me loud and clear :TAKE A BREAK!

Last A in this cycle:
    Squats 165 3x5 And had a guy make a joke about how I should just start picking up random people and squatting with them on my back. He meant it as a compliment, I think? :smile:
    Bench 100 665 That last rep just wasn't going to happen.
    Rows 115 544 New weight, so pretty happy with this - I did the missed reps, just didn't hit my sternum, so not counting them.

Off to teach kids how to use power tools - it is wood shop day! Wish me an emergency-room free afternoon, please! :smile:
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely ladies! :flowerforyou:

After a very restless night with the kid (teething), I was not super excited about my workout this morning, but I was determined to get through it. Turned out a LOT better than I expected!

Squat 55 5x5
    OHP 45 55553 so close to a 5x5! I narrowed my grip and that's made a huge difference.
    DL 95 1x5 Felt like a bad *kitten* on that one. :laugh:

Anyway, I hope you all are having a fantastic day!
  • jogirlruns
    jogirlruns Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am going to try to check in here regularly with you lovely gals.

Last night:
    Squats 125 lbs 5/4/5/5/5 - had a weird fail on one rep early on - I think I went way too low
    OHP - 45 lbs 5/5/5/5/5 - managed all the lifts but was struggling a titch with my form
    Deadlifts: 70lbsx 5, 90 lbs x 5 and 105lbs x 5 - will go up next time.

Some shoulder issues - I may need to find a substitute for OHP - any suggestions for compound exercises that work the same muscles but do not go overhead? I have some impingement in my shoulder joint that is activated when I do stuff over my head.

Thanks!
    Joanne
  • kellieem
    kellieem Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    Yesterday as workout B for me:

Squats 50 5x5. Still not confident in my form, the more I read and more videos I watch, the more confused I get. I'm getting pretty frustrated and down about the whole thing.
    OHP 55 55554. This was the second time at 55, but it's been taking me at least two workouts for each weight before I increase, so I'm not surprised.
    Dead lift 130 1x5. Second time at this weight too. I've only been increasing by 5 lbs each time, not the ten they recommend. So next time I get to use the 45lb plates!

Trying not to get too down about the squats, but with them being in each workout and such a crucial exercise, it's difficult :grumble:
  • jstout365
    Options
    Kira - Here's to all the kids keeping their fingers intact :drinker:

Cleo - I have a hard time mentally doing the deloads and seem to talk myself into higher weights than I had planned on. I think everyone is different as to when they need to deload and rest. If you are not feeling like you NEED the deload, then you may be okay to push ahead a little bit. I know Kira posted a link to an article on the deload subject. If not in this thread it was in the accessory with SL thread.

Jogirl - Only the overhead movements will work the exact same muscle areas, but you can get good shoulder strength with some other lifts that do not go over head. I would suggest upright rows and Deltoid raises as alternatives that will get the closest to the same muscle groups.

Amazing - I forgot to say with my last post that those are some great numbers! I'm glad the next program level is working for you!

No major lifts for me today. Met with my PT and did a light workout since I'm already tired from poor sleep, poor diet, and the lingering cold. So we did 2 sets of 10 pushups with dumbbell rows with 10 lb dumbbell / 10 (each side) lunges with a pulse with 40 lbs and then 2 sets of 10 bent over dumbbell rows @ 15 lbs (with one rep being left, right, both) alternating between wide and narrow rows / 15 lat pull downs @ a questionable 100 lbs (machine said 99 according to the chart, but no clue if the chart was right) / 20 half-squat push presses with 15 lb dumbbells. Then we ended with side planks holding a 10 lb dumbbell for 45 seconds each side / 15 crunch to full extension with 10 lb dumbbell / 1 min of regular plank.

Now reading it all, it was a little more than a light workout so I think I may need some ice cream to help out recovery tonight. :bigsmile:
  • jstout365
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    Yesterday as workout B for me:

Squats 50 5x5. Still not confident in my form, the more I read and more videos I watch, the more confused I get. I'm getting pretty frustrated and down about the whole thing.
    OHP 55 55554. This was the second time at 55, but it's been taking me at least two workouts for each weight before I increase, so I'm not surprised.
    Dead lift 130 1x5. Second time at this weight too. I've only been increasing by 5 lbs each time, not the ten they recommend. So next time I get to use the 45lb plates!

Trying not to get too down about the squats, but with them being in each workout and such a crucial exercise, it's difficult :grumble:

I can't remember if anyone had suggested trying box squats. Or at least look at videos about them and see if they might help. What do you feel the problems with your form are? And you don't have a phone that can take videos so you post for form review, is that correct? Everyone has that one lift that seems to be against them. Keep your chin up, we will help you get this figured out.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Ok B day today

Squat 85x5x5
    OP 45x5x5 (down from last time :( couldn't get the 50)
    DL 130x1x4

After my DL I was racking the weight and all of the sudden my back spammed! I couldn't move and almost threw up and passed out at the same time. After I was finally able to lower my self to the ground I stretched till it was less intense. I was able to drive home but I think my form may suck!

On the plus side I was recording my lift so I think I pinpointed my problem. My but is coming up before the weight is off the floor.

So now I know how to fix it! I will deload down to starting weight to work on form again and give my lower back time to heal. Luckily I don't have B day again till Monday!
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Workout A for me today.

Squats - 120, with form a little wobbly on some reps, I'm going to repeat next time.
    Bench - 85, think I'm going to repeat this as well, and do 6x5 next time, since these are getting tough!
    Rows - 75. Did 6x5 easily, so will move up to 80 next time.

Had a job interview as a tour guide at a local winery today after my workout, so I didn't get to work on pull ups or anything else afterward, which was kind of a bummer. But I was asked if I'd have trouble lifting 35 lb cases of wine for the job. I was like... How many at once? :wink:
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Session #17 for me.
    I was SO stinking tired! I went on a hike yesterday and went on a longer hike this morning. My boy came on the hike, too. We all did a lighter weight day and just did 3x5.

Connor actually did go UP in his squats (128#)
    I went lightr so I don't have a major chronic fatigue/migrainee flair up.
    today is also my first refeed. I wonder if all the extra carbs are making me tired? the downside of all that quick energy?
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Hola--an A day for newbie me:

Squats: 70 (5x5)
    Pendlay Rows: 40 (5x5)--using fixed barbells at the gym, so now it looks like my next A day is (hopefully) the oly bar!
    Bench: 50 (5x5)

Then I finished with 25 minutes doing some bag work/boxing.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Hola--an A day for newbie me:

Squats: 70 (5x5)
    Pendlay Rows: 40 (5x5)--using fixed barbells at the gym, so now it looks like my next A day is (hopefully) the oly bar!
    Bench: 50 (5x5)

Then I finished with 25 minutes doing some bag work/boxing.

Great job!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Alright, so I'm currently trying spreading the 4 big lifts out over 4 days and doing dumbbell/barbell/kettlebell complexes also.

That means yesterday I did 5x5 squat plus a barbell complex, today I did 5x5 bench press plus a dumbbell/kettlebell complex, tomorrow will be deadlifts plus some sort of complex, and Friday will be OHP plus a complex.

The goal is to maintain my strength levels and work on endurance for a while. And then next month switch back to a strength focus and seek to make further gains there. Gonna see where that gets me ... pretty fun so far.