Stage 3

Replies

• zeppelinkd
    zeppelinkd Posts: 26 Member
    Completed workout 1A last night. Wow - my legs are feeling it today! Going from 10 reps to 6 reps was an adjustment too. I started out with weights that were too light on every exercise and had to increase a decent amount with each set. Sometimes during the first set, I would find myself counting up to 10 reps and then think to myself, "Wait, what am I doing? I should be stopping at 6. This is too light". Lol... I'm looking forward to doing 1B on Saturday. I'll need today and tomorrow as off days, that's for sure!
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    i dont like the partial squat. did the second B workout last night, and my 1st 2 sets i did it with body weight, 3rd set i held 15 lb dumbbells. since its obv impossible to go down the whole way, i feel like it doesnt do much, aside from work my core a little due to the balancing act. i would rather do regular squats, but i dont know if i should deviate that particualr workout.

YTWL suck, but man i feel those in my arms a lot even with only 7.5 lb dumbbells in each hand (it is wasnt for the T, i could probably go to 10 lbs). Why is that T part so hard?

for last nights HIIT, i did the elliptical instead of running for a change. 2 min at level 12 and 1 min at level 17 - good workout to switch it up- level 17 is killer
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    thought for today: re-think finishing the workout when you feel a headache creeping on. the bwm is even worse with a banging migraine, seriously thought ill throw up doing them insane jumpings.
    today was kind of an off-day for me lifting wise but pushed it through.
    last stage3 workout on wednesday then leveling up again :)
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    right, here we go. not sure about my measurements, but ive lost scale weight (1kg) in the past week... mainly because of cutting my intake though.

*one armed db snatch 5kg - 10kg
    *singleg rom deadlift 5kg - 20kg
    *bb bent over row 30kg - 35kg (not sure about form)
    *db overhead squat 2.5kg/5kg - no change
    *db (flat) bench press 15kg - 20kg
    *plank 120sec (floor) - 90sec (bench and swiss ball)
    *reverse wood chop substitution 7.5kg - 10kg
    *rom deadlift/row 25kg - 35kg (not sure about form)
    *part singleg squat bw - 15kg
    *bb pullover 10.5kg - 13kg (finished stage2 with 15kg but my shoulder is still playing up so had to decrease the weight)
    *prone cobra 75sec - 110sec
    *ytwl (standing) 5kg - no change
    *swiss ball crunch 8.75kg (x6) - 10kg (x10)
    *hip flexion prone jackknife (x6) - somewhere halfway between prone and pike jackknife (x10)
    *lateral flexion hannah3 (x10) - no change

i think ill stick with that 35kg for the rows for time being, because am really not sure about my form. i think i pull the barbell up from elbow instead of shoulder blades/back if that makes sense. gotta work on that.
  • JDubbs339
    JDubbs339 Posts: 44 Member
    I LOVE this stage...only one 3A and two more 3B workouts left : ( I don't want Stage 3 to end...so fun :)

Oh thanks for all the help with the overhead DB squats...I am now doing 15/30 :) I plan on doing 20/40 for my last 3A workout
  • JDubbs339

for last nights HIIT, i did the elliptical instead of running for a change. 2 min at level 12 and 1 min at level 17 - good workout to switch it up- level 17 is killer

I may try the elliptical (although I hate it...i just feel dumb when I'm on it)...just to switch things up from the stationary bike.
  • slm0257
    slm0257 Posts: 72 Member
    Did first A workout today and it was a lot harder than I though it would be but here are my numbers to start:

OA DB snatch- 17.5lbs

DB OL Deadift- 20lbs on first set, then 17.5 last 2 sets (cramping in my hamstrings....oww!)

BB BOR- 50lbs

DB OH squat- 12.5/25

DB Bench press- 25lbs each hand

Plank was full 90 seconds

Reverse WC- 17.5

BWM was EVIL! My time was 4.15, and then about 4:30 for second set

Feeling discouraged that this hard enough that I didn't really "enjoy" it like previous stages. Hoping I will find some enthusiasm for this stage at some point (hopefully soon). After this A workout, I'm dreading B. :frown:
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Hello, I'm new to the stage threads, but thought joining them later was better than never!

For the first two stages I was lifting 3 days/wk and so far, with stage 3 (one set of ea. workout done), I'm feeling like I need more rest in between workouts. My hamstrings and triceps are really tight. Not sure why my triceps are! I'll do 3A tomorrow morning after a 2-day break. Hopefully my muscles loosen up, and I can get back to the 3 days/wk schedule. Does anyone else find that recovery is taking longer in stage 3?

Also, I'm working out at home and am trying to find an alternative, other than the prone cobra, for the back extension. I tried to do it on the stability ball, but I can't stay on it.The stability ball and I don't always get along. He keeps trying to get away from me. Thank goodness I'm doing it at home and no one can see me!
  • JDubbs339
    Does anyone else find that recovery is taking longer in stage 3?

By the time I got to Stage 3, the recovery period needed was shorter. I still get sore, but not as much as before.
  • chocolatecroissant
    chocolatecroissant Posts: 155 Member
    Evedroid - very impressive results! Some heavy lifting going on there!
    Sim0257 - don't be disheartened as it looks as if you're lifting pretty heavy already - you're starting with some weights that I've not reached having practically completed this stage!
    DB single arm overhead squat - I've worked out what my problem is with these as I've seen a physio who says that my back is so inflexible that I can't lift my arm overhead without putting stress on my back so I'm working on that with him and in the meantime replaced them with goblet squats for my last A workout - last B to come!
  • JDubbs339
    Done with Stage 3!

Progess:
    I lost 2 lbs!! SW:144 CW: 142 :) FINALLY LOST SOME WEIGHT!!

Workout A:
    One armed- dumbbell snatch: 25-45lbs
    Dumbbell single-leg Romanian deadlift: 40 lbs. each hand
    DUMBBELL bent-over row: 35 lbs in each hand to 90lb permanently weighted bar (the bar was WAY easier than the two dumbbells!!! I wish I had done it with the bar the whole time cuz I probably would've been able to use more weight)
    Dumbbell single-arm overhead squat: 5lb upper,10lb lower - 20lb upper,40lb lower
    Dumbbell incline bench press: 25lb. each hand - 32.5lb. each hand
    Plank (ugghh): 90 secs. all around
    Reverse wood chop: just opted for 12lb medicine ball instead of using the machine
    I never timed the BW matrix...but I can tell you I def. improved my speed. FEEL THE BURRNN!

Workout B:
    Barbell Romanian deadlift/ bent-over row: 115lbs - 120lbs
    Partial single-leg squat: BW - 10lb
    Wide-grip lat pulldown: 100-112lb
    Back extensions: 25lb. -35lb.
    YTWL: 8lb each hand - 10lb each hand
    Swiss ball crunch: 25lb,
    Hip flexion: 6 reps - 20 reps
    Never did Lateral flexion (waste of time in my opinion)
    Never did Prone Cobra because it's supposed to have the same affect as the back extensions...so why repeat it?

I also did interval training after each of the 8 workouts except for 1. I clamped down on my eating and I feel it has paid off...I'm not going to take measurements until the morning of July 14th. I should be done with Stage 4 and be in the middle of Stage 5 by then :)
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Hello all! :) I’m new to the stage threads, but I think I'm going to need the extra encouragement on Stage 3. I did my first A workout today, and boy did it kick my bum! >_<

I thought I only had to do one round of the BW Matrix, but then I read it again when I got home after my workout and was like... no way. I'm physically incapable of that right now. I could only do 1 round of the BWM and that was pushing it a bit too hard (I emptied my stomach when I got home). : / I think I found a new thing to hate, ha ha. :P

My trainer said that she was grateful that the book was the one calling the shots and technically she wasn’t assigning me the BWM task lol. She said that if she threw that at the majority of her clients after such an intense workout that they would be none too happy with her. I guess we’re all gluttons for punishment! :D

Here’s to doing better on Wednesday! <3
  • phizzylizzy
    phizzylizzy Posts: 94 Member
    Done with Stage 3!

Progess:
    I lost 2 lbs!! SW:144 CW: 142 :) FINALLY LOST SOME WEIGHT!!

Workout A:
    One armed- dumbbell snatch: 25-45lbs
    Dumbbell single-leg Romanian deadlift: 40 lbs. each hand
    DUMBBELL bent-over row: 35 lbs in each hand to 90lb permanently weighted bar (the bar was WAY easier than the two dumbbells!!! I wish I had done it with the bar the whole time cuz I probably would've been able to use more weight)
    Dumbbell single-arm overhead squat: 5lb upper,10lb lower - 20lb upper,40lb lower
    Dumbbell incline bench press: 25lb. each hand - 32.5lb. each hand
    Plank (ugghh): 90 secs. all around
    Reverse wood chop: just opted for 12lb medicine ball instead of using the machine
    I never timed the BW matrix...but I can tell you I def. improved my speed. FEEL THE BURRNN!

Workout B:
    Barbell Romanian deadlift/ bent-over row: 115lbs - 120lbs
    Partial single-leg squat: BW - 10lb
    Wide-grip lat pulldown: 100-112lb
    Back extensions: 25lb. -35lb.
    YTWL: 8lb each hand - 10lb each hand
    Swiss ball crunch: 25lb,
    Hip flexion: 6 reps - 20 reps
    Never did Lateral flexion (waste of time in my opinion)
    Never did Prone Cobra because it's supposed to have the same affect as the back extensions...so why repeat it?

I also did interval training after each of the 8 workouts except for 1. I clamped down on my eating and I feel it has paid off...I'm not going to take measurements until the morning of July 14th. I should be done with Stage 4 and be in the middle of Stage 5 by then :)

NICE JOB to all of this! Yay weight loss! Yay strength gains! Yay working out your nutrition! You inspire me with your weights especially..I just did 3A2 and I didn't think I could hate BW matrix any more than the first time I did it. I can't believe you did HIIT after that! Anyway, congrats :flowerforyou:
  • catolerico
    catolerico Posts: 25
    Did my first Stage 3 workout today and I think this is going to be my favorite stage. Love the moves and the combinations but man is that BWM tough!
  • morkiemama
    Did my first Stage 3 workout today and I think this is going to be my favorite stage. Love the moves and the combinations but man is that BWM tough!

Really? I am pretty sure it is going to be my most hated stage LOL. That BWM makes me feel like I'm going to die... Every. Single. Time. :P
  • catolerico
    catolerico Posts: 25

Really? I am pretty sure it is going to be my most hated stage LOL. That BWM makes me feel like I'm going to die... Every. Single. Time. :P

I think I'm going to hate the BWM by the end but everything else I like. Maybe it's more that I'm glad to be done with Stage 2. Def. didn't like that one.
  • morkiemama

I think I'm going to hate the BWM by the end but everything else I like. Maybe it's more that I'm glad to be done with Stage 2. Def. didn't like that one.

Stage 2 comes back and is repeated. As is Stage 3.

I already hate the BWM and it isn't the end... this does not bode well for me lol. You are right though, I do like everything else in Stage 3. :)
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Just finished my last A workout, Buh-Bye BWM (for now). Took a peek at Stage 4, not feeling the return of the step-ups.
  • ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Beginning Stage 3 tomorrow...shaking in my boots! Wasn't really nervous to begin or move to Stage 2...this one has me totally psyched out though :-/ I think I can...I think I can...
  • morkiemama
    Beginning Stage 3 tomorrow...shaking in my boots! Wasn't really nervous to begin or move to Stage 2...this one has me totally psyched out though :-/ I think I can...I think I can...

You got this! It really isn't too bad (except for the BWM IMO lol). :)