Stage 1

Options

Replies

• pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    eponine, I'm starting Stage 1 later today and while I've lifted on and off in the past (and am currently doing so), I plan to start somewhat low because I'm small boned and already have knee joint issues from being a runner years ago and shoulder issues from too much computer use. On the overhead shoulder press machine I can only lift 10 lbs without feeling pain in the shoulder although after 6 weeks or so it is improving as far as doing more reps.

I also think that it may be problematic to increase dumbbells with the mostly 5 pound increments available in my gym (they have 8 and 12 lbs but after 15 lbs it's all 5 lb increments).

You'll probably see improvement within a few weeks.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    eponine, I think I'm a weakling, too. Let's just focus on improving ourselves, cheering for our peers, and forget the rest :flowerforyou:
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I started on Sunday and I am feeling it today.

My starting weights for Workout A are

Squat - 30kgs (66lb) 15 x 2
    Push ups - body weight - chest height bar 15 x 2
    Seated Rows - 35kgs (77lb) 15 x 2
    Step ups - 16kgs (35lb) 15 x 2 (or 30 x 2, however you would put it)
    Prone Jacknife - 15 x 2 (missed that I was only meant to do 8)

Looking forward to starting Workout B tomorrow. Not sure my abs are though :laugh:
  • runzalot81
    Options
    Keep up the good work, Slany!
  • llpaq
    llpaq Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Just finished B3 and I forgot to lower my reps to 12 :( I hope that doesn't matter much- I also noticed I wasn't alternating some of the sets....for instance Dumbbell shoulder press and the Lat pulldown :blushing: ugh. Hopefully it hasn't changed any of my progress.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how many of you have done heavy strength training before NROL4W. The numbers I see you ladies STARTING stage 1 with are heavier than I will probably be at when I FINISH stage 1. My next workout is 4B and I'm pushing myself as hard as I can and barely finishing my sets and causing myself all sorts of horrible DOMS and yet my weights are nowhere close to what I'm seeing here. The first day of lunges I could only do 5 each leg with only my body weight. I'm now up to 10 with just body weight and to me that is huge. Overhead presses I had to start with 5 lb dumbbells and last time I did overhead presses I tried 15 lbs but could only do 7 so I had to drop back to 10 lb dumbbells. So I'm honestly trying but my numbers are terrible compared to everyone else. I knew I was a weakling starting out but apparently I'm even weaker compared to most people than I thought.
    @ eponine: Don't focus on what others are doing, just worry about you, and what works best for you. Trust me YOU WILL get stronger! If you are a new lifter, you have to learn to read your body, and believe me you will. Just stay focused, stay on track, and like many on here have said: No matter what, KEEP MOVING and progress will come! And as my husband has always told me, when I get frustrated, you can't built Rome in a day. Hang in there girl! :smile:

@ llpaq I doubt forgetting to alternate will affect your progress so long as you did all the work! :wink:

As for me, I started week 3 today, not sure what number that is, I still have a hard time with that...lol! I am very happy thus far with my progress and only expect to get stronger! I couldn't wait to get to the gym! Lot's of NSV's for me this past week: My clothes are fitting better - I bought some new large (NOT XL) racer back tanks this weekend! I could zip up my motorcycle jacket without having to suck it in, and cinched the sides down a bit more! AND I realized yesterday I can now wrap a regular size bath towel around me without the "towel-gap"! I can see my body changing, maybe not in all the places I want - YET - but slow & steady wins this race!

Today: Though I think I was suppose to switch to 3 set of 10 reps .....I missed that darn it!

Squats:
    15 @ 45# (bar only) I do this every time to check my form & loosen my ankle up a bit.
    15 @ 85#
    15 @ 95#

Push-ups
    2 x 15 BW, modified on knees (here's a question, tell me what you gals think.....I feel as if I am getting stronger here and want to move from my knees, should I try some incline push-ups or try to jump straight in to regular push-ups, even though I don't think I'll be able to do all the reps?)

Seated Row
    15 @ 80#
    15 @ 85#

Step-Ups
    15 @ 25# (each leg x 2 risers)
    15 @ 30# (each leg x 2 risers)

Prone Jackknife:
    2 x 15 knees to chest

Hurry Up Wednesday! :bigsmile:
  • siany01
    Options

Squats:
    15 @ 45# (bar only) I do this every time to check my form & loosen my ankle up a bit.
    15 @ 85#
    15 @ 95#

Push-ups
    2 x 15 BW, modified on knees (here's a question, tell me what you gals think.....I feel as if I am getting stronger here and want to move from my knees, should I try some incline push-ups or try to jump straight in to regular push-ups, even though I don't think I'll be able to do all the reps?)

Seated Row
    15 @ 80#
    15 @ 85#

Step-Ups

Prone Jackknife:
    2 x 15 knees to chest

I love your NSV about the towel. I had that one a couple of weeks back and was really chuffed. It really is the little things isn't it :)

As for the push ups, if it were me, I would be inclined to start with the incline (pun unintended) I can do 5 proper push ups, but thats it. So I have started with the incline, of which I can do all of them and I am going to move it down a stage each time until I can do all 15 on the floor. At least thats the plan anyway.

Oh, the 'risers' are they the black (or whatever colour) blocks the step sits on?
  • mrs_mab
    Options

Squats:
    15 @ 85#
    15 @ 95#

Push-ups

Seated Row
    15 @ 80#
    15 @ 85#

Step-Ups

Prone Jackknife:
    2 x 15 knees to chest

I love your NSV about the towel. I had that one a couple of weeks back and was really chuffed. It really is the little things isn't it :)

As for the push ups, if it were me, I would be inclined to start with the incline (pun unintended) I can do 5 proper push ups, but thats it. So I have started with the incline, of which I can do all of them and I am going to move it down a stage each time until I can do all 15 on the floor. At least thats the plan anyway.

Oh, the 'risers' are they the black (or whatever colour) blocks the step sits on?
    I think that's what Im going to do, if I can find a good incline at my gym.....yes the risers are the little colorful, blocky things the step sits on. haha! My gym is very limited on them too, so I am not sure if I want to keep the same weight and possibly start using a higher bench, or just stay with the 2 risers and increase my weight.... if I could get a hold of one more riser that'd get my knee/top of thigh at 45 degrees when stepping which is what i'd like to be at......
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how many of you have done heavy strength training before NROL4W. The numbers I see you ladies STARTING stage 1 with are heavier than I will probably be at when I FINISH stage 1. My next workout is 4B and I'm pushing myself as hard as I can and barely finishing my sets and causing myself all sorts of horrible DOMS and yet my weights are nowhere close to what I'm seeing here. The first day of lunges I could only do 5 each leg with only my body weight. I'm now up to 10 with just body weight and to me that is huge. Overhead presses I had to start with 5 lb dumbbells and last time I did overhead presses I tried 15 lbs but could only do 7 so I had to drop back to 10 lb dumbbells. So I'm honestly trying but my numbers are terrible compared to everyone else. I knew I was a weakling starting out but apparently I'm even weaker compared to most people than I thought.

I am so glad to see this because I was thinking the same thing. I thought I was doing pretty good with a deadlift of 85lbs, squat at 75, and lunges at 36(which killed me).
  • siany01
    Options
    Did my first work out B today (I much prefer A)

Deadlift 15 x 25 kgs (55lb) - (warmup) - 15 x 30kgs (66lb) Both sets
    Shoulder press - 15 x 10kgs (22lbs) (both sets) - my weakest exercise
    Lat Pull down 15x 25kgs (66lbs) (both sets)
    Lunges 30 x 16kgs (35lbs) Both sets - HATE these
    Swiss Crunch (always thought that sounds like a cereal lol) 15 x 2 sets

Notes from today - my butt hurts :sad: but that means it must be doing something :happy:
  • mrs_mab
    Options
    Did my first work out B today (I much prefer A)

Deadlift 15 x 25 kgs (55lb) - (warmup) - 15 x 30kgs (66lb) Both sets
    Shoulder press - 15 x 10kgs (22lbs) (both sets) - my weakest exercise
    Lat Pull down 15x 25kgs (66lbs) (both sets)
    Lunges 30 x 16kgs (35lbs) Both sets - HATE these
    Swiss Crunch (always thought that sounds like a cereal lol) 15 x 2 sets

Notes from today - my butt hurts :sad: but that means it must be doing something :happy:
    Nice work! I could hardly walk the day after my first B workout, and wasn't sure I'd be able to do my third workout on Friday, but I pushed through! :tongue:
    I agree I like the majority of A better, except for the dead lifts, they are my LOVE :heart: ! Shoulder presses are my weakest to date also. :frown: I have been stagnate at 15#, but I plan on pushing myself to push more weight tomorrow. But I will say with even the puny 15# i've been doing on my presses, my front delt is getting cut, I didn't really notice, but my husband sure pointed it out this past weekend. I was like damn where did that come from....nice surprise for sure! :bigsmile: Lunges SUCK, and I can't do them b/c of an ankle injury so I am subbing them out with a Bulgarian split squat right now with no weight which kills me! :sad:
  • runzalot81
    Options
    The push ups question is a good one. I would go with inclines until you make it to the floor.
  • mrs_mab
    Options
    The push ups question is a good one. I would go with inclines until you make it to the floor.
    Yeah, I think I will switch to inclines starting with tomorrows workout. I can already do them on the floor in the sissy position! (modified to knees) but I don't think those will get me where I want to be, I need to start changing it up and work towards full regular push-ups. I can do a few regulars, but no where near all sets/reps yet! I'm getting there....
  • siany01
    Options
    If your gym has a smith machine the bar makes a great place to do the incline push-ups as you can adjust the height of the bar. Plus you find a use for the smith machine :laugh:
  • mrs_mab
    Options
    If your gym has a smith machine the bar makes a great place to do the incline push-ups as you can adjust the height of the bar. Plus you find a use for the smith machine :laugh:
    Great idea! :laugh: I pretty much stay away from mr. Smith, but that just might work! I've been racking my brain trying to figure out a spot in my gym that I could get some good inclines in, I think this will work!
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Just started Stage 1 yesterday. I'm actually using it as my strength program during my marathon training so that I dont lose too much muscle mass with all of the running that I am doing, so I may not get as heavy as I would if I wasnt marathon training, but it works for me. And I am only doing the workouts 2x week instead of 3 because of how my training plan falls.

Did Workout A1 yesterday - definitely not bad. Surprised at how short it was, but since it was only 2 sets for each exercise that shouldnt be a surprise.

Squats: 2x15 @ 45# (the bar) - definitely going to add more weight next time
    Pushups: 2X15 regular style - being in the military, I have to be able to do these ;)
    Seated Row: 2X15 @ 30#
    Step-ups: 2x15 @ 10# dumbbells; 3 risers under the step
    Prone Jackknife: 2X15 - didnt realize it was only supposed to be 8 reps - they were tough!

Looking forward to continuing with the program. :)
  • mrs_mab
    Options
    Just started Stage 1 yesterday. I'm actually using it as my strength program during my marathon training so that I dont lose too much muscle mass with all of the running that I am doing, so I may not get as heavy as I would if I wasnt marathon training, but it works for me. And I am only doing the workouts 2x week instead of 3 because of how my training plan falls.

Did Workout A1 yesterday - definitely not bad. Surprised at how short it was, but since it was only 2 sets for each exercise that shouldnt be a surprise.

Squats: 2x15 @ 45# (the bar) - definitely going to add more weight next time
    Pushups: 2X15 regular style - being in the military, I have to be able to do these ;)
    Seated Row: 2X15 @ 30#
    Step-ups: 2x15 @ 10# dumbbells; 3 risers under the step
    Prone Jackknife: 2X15 - didnt realize it was only supposed to be 8 reps - they were tough!

Looking forward to continuing with the program. :)

Welcome! I did the same thing with the jackkinfes, I think it happens to a lot of us....jealous of those push-ups, I haven't been able to do regulars since HS, but I am getting there! Keep us posted on your progress....
  • lizaiza79
    lizaiza79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Halfway through Stage 1! Just a note to a previous poster, I have been doing heavy lifting for the past 9 months at a Crossfit gym. I have not gone for the past 3 months though.

I like the B exercises the best!

Today's stats -

Deadlift - 12 X 175lb X 2 sets (my goal is 8 x 200 by the end of stage 1)
    Shoulder press - 12 x 20lb dumbbells x 2 sets
    Lat Pull down - 12x band assisted pulldown from pullup bar (not getting much out of this)
    Lunges 12 x 25lb dumbbells(50lbs) x 2 sets (my favorite)
    Swiss Crunch - 12 x holding a 25lb plate x 2 sets
  • siany01
    Options
    Well I did my second work out A today and have to say I LOVE SQUAT DAY :happy:

Weights not gone up today as I am concentrating on form for now

8x warm up squats with bar then 2x15 - 30kgs (66lbs)
    2x15 pushups 45 degrees
    2x seated rows - 35kgs (77lbs)
    2x30 - step ups - 5 risers 20kgs (44lbs)
    2x12 prone jacks

I felt alot more confident in my form today with the squats and think it was a lot better. Also a dude gave up the squat rack for me when I asked if he had many sets to go, I couldn't at the time but think he should get a :flowerforyou:
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    eponine, I think I'm a weakling, too. Let's just focus on improving ourselves, cheering for our peers, and forget the rest :flowerforyou:

Exactly. Heavy lifting means heavy for you personally. Heavy for you may not be for me and vice versa.