JUNE: THE JACKPOT FOR THE MAD HATTERS!

Options

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Tonya - better you get it taken care of as, as Janet says.. high BP rarely has symptoms so if they can help you control it with some meds and perhaps some suggestions on avoiding stress (yeah.. love that one.. we're women... how the hell do we avoid stress anyway???) but good thing they're checking ya out for all the stuff.. re the cholesterol test.. you should be ok... i discovered after my first one i wasnt supposed to eat meat or have wine the day before... and of course i had pork chops and wine for dinner 12 hrs befoe the test lol! Keep us updated please on how it goes.. and umm... remember to take the pretty box OFF if you shower before bed... I'm thinking wires and water won't mix!! Hugs!

Susan - welcome home - being the techno Hatter I'm really hoping you'll be posting some pics...?? hope you had a fab time - how cool is it about Bob's dad?? I was telling my sister you were going to Sedona and she said hmm isnt that place known for wine? so I didn't feel quite so bad thinking it too... I think tho its the Sonoma valley we were thinking of .. maybe... or we could both have no idea what we're talking about!

Janet - as Tammy said wise words indeed! Even though I FINALLY showed a loss this week, I was looking back at my past year and realized I'm only averaging a pound a month lost.. I'm really not sure why especially the past few months where I have learned more and eaten far beter and moved more.. but its a little frustrating for sure not seeing the scale move, or move the wrong way some days! So Tammy ?I understand how you're feeling too...so its great that you are falling out of your pants (so to speak) and that your family member noticed!!

Gail - we havent heard how the reunion went???? was it good bad or ugly?? I've never had any desire to go to any of my reunions lol.. so I want details!

Kobie - hope you were damage free this time around from the brutal storms ?

My puter is driving me nuts with freezing up.. I may have to break down and get another one so I'm going to post this and go back and do another following just in case it loses it!
  • harley051
    harley051 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a newbie to the group and I am so excited. My June plan is to add strength training 3 x per week. I so need to tighten up. I have an hourglass figure and my time is running out :bigsmile: I look forward to hearing how everyone is doing.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    :explode: k my frustration with my puter is about to boil over so i will probably end up posting about 10 little bits so it wont freeze up on me LOL... feel free to skip these unless you need help falling asleep!!

K Readers digest catch up - spent a couple of days at my sisters - managed to keep up the eating fine and my daily exercise goal thanks to having to walk the dog and going up and down stairs to check oh her frequently -she had a super recovery; hardly any pain and doing great so very happy camper am I (and her lol)... Came home Tuesday and considering I'm on vacation have been on the go since but making sure i get my walk in before anything else - the downside to vacation is that its when I can connect with my "normal" friends (Mon-Fri types) so lots of lunches/patio drinks/dinners etc... but so far have managed to keep on track pretty well.. today was a test but I ate lunch late on purpose so only had a margarita on the patio.. watched everyone else eat chicken wings and club sandwiches and fries etc etc.. but since I wasnt actually hungry I managed not to cave! I'm having lunch tomorrow with my very first boss I worked for 28 years ago.. havent seen him in about 5 years and we're going to a chinese buffet so will stick to as many veggies and non sauce type items as possible... so far it doesn't seem as hard to resist bad stuff really this time around; I think the "planning ahead" lesson (thank you Tammy lol) and eating before I go has helped.. but having gotten too cocky before, I'm just taking it one day at a time! On Friday I promised my sister a patio and margarita as she hasn't had a drink since January cause of her GB probs lol... but the place we're going has some amazing salads and lots of good choices available.. as long as I stick to those I'll be fine... life after the weight loss is going to be just this... facing celebrations and birthdays and emotional eating etc etc all the way thru the next 30 yrs (I hope lol) so this will be a good test of how far i've come in the past year! :smile:

I see we have a new member - welcome Harley!! Great to have you aboard and look forward to getting to know you and supporting you in your goal... and sharing a few laughs along the way!!

Time to go back and catch up on a few more posts and I'll try again for some replies... or take a hammer to the puter lol!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Hi, I am a newbie to the group and I am so excited. My June plan is to add strength training 3 x per week. I so need to tighten up. I have an hourglass figure and my time is running out :bigsmile: I look forward to hearing how everyone is doing.

:laugh: :laugh: HARLEY.. ... hourglass figure.. time running out.. I just got it LOLOL... too funny!!! Thanks for the 5 calorie burn I got when I giggled!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    k.. i forgot one more thing... you all know how much i HATE shopping - the only female born without the shopping gene.. however i finally conceded my shorts are just way too big even with a belt.. when i put my stuff in the pockets they sag too far down (and today i had a shorter shirt on and had to keep tugging it down and the shorts up to keep my belly from being naked and exposed.. so yesterday I spent an hour selecting shorts, capris, pants, shirts and took 11 items into the change room... but every single one was too big!! I should have been doing the happy dance I know.. but I realized I still head automatically to the sizes I used to be.. my brain hasn't made the leap yet so after today's walk and nearly dropping my drawers in front of the ducks and assorted other walkers I went back and this time, forced myself to pick up stuff 1 and 2 sizes smaller ... and i'll be darned if the 2 sizes down didn't fit perfectly! Although sizes are weird of course.. I own things that are 4 sizes apart and both fit... but it was way cool to realize the new number was actually fitting! Strangely enough I almost reverted BACK to only one size down because im so used to having things "baggy" to hide under... but smacked myself upside the head and bought 2 pairs of shorts and 2 shirts, all of which were the 2 sizes down.. so even tho the scale might irritate me on occasion, I AM losing inches :happy: And more importantly I won't get arrested for streaking :bigsmile:

PS TAMMY thanks for the yummy recipes!! I may try those zucchini chips...
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    k.. i forgot one more thing... you all know how much i HATE shopping - the only female born without the shopping gene.. however i finally conceded my shorts are just way too big even with a belt.. when i put my stuff in the pockets they sag too far down (and today i had a shorter shirt on and had to keep tugging it down and the shorts up to keep my belly from being naked and exposed.. so yesterday I spent an hour selecting shorts, capris, pants, shirts and took 11 items into the change room... but every single one was too big!! I should have been doing the happy dance I know.. but I realized I still head automatically to the sizes I used to be.. my brain hasn't made the leap yet so after today's walk and nearly dropping my drawers in front of the ducks and assorted other walkers I went back and this time, forced myself to pick up stuff 1 and 2 sizes smaller ... and i'll be darned if the 2 sizes down didn't fit perfectly! Although sizes are weird of course.. I own things that are 4 sizes apart and both fit... but it was way cool to realize the new number was actually fitting! Strangely enough I almost reverted BACK to only one size down because im so used to having things "baggy" to hide under... but smacked myself upside the head and bought 2 pairs of shorts and 2 shirts, all of which were the 2 sizes down.. so even tho the scale might irritate me on occasion, I AM losing inches :happy: And more importantly I won't get arrested for streaking :bigsmile:

I can't believe I'm actually wearing size 12 shorts from Ann Taylor - from 220 to 175 (16-18 w down to 12-14 misses)... holy Sierra Hotel Indigo Tango......
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options

I can't believe I'm actually wearing size 12 shorts from Ann Taylor - from 220 to 175 (16-18 w down to 12-14 misses)... holy Sierra Hotel India Tango......

btw - thanks for making sure the geese "don't see too much".... giggles.....
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hey, Harley, Glad you came on over... We have the best time on here...I will suggest, if you ever have any spare time, to back track and read up on our shennagins....we are all a" hoot" as they say... if I must say so myself... the few that actually post...

Snoozie, I promise , I will get something together about the reunion...we have been swamped here at work, and no home computer that works.... Super about the smaller sizes....Whooohoooo!!!!

T...glad you got that checked out....

Good morning to everyone I missed, gotta get back to work.

G
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    First of all I know you all won’t believe this…(tongue in cheek) ……..I was not Popular kid at school…..I know it’s hard to believe….( still tongue in cheek)..anyway…I dreaded going so badly. I sat in the car for 10 minutes or so waiting on the perfect time to go up there when I thought I could slide in unseen by the group on the porch…. I finally said “Bucket!! , You’re 53 years old…just get out and go… I made it in ........and it was 3 years worth of classes together, so the noise was outrageous.

I saw my little group of friends over against the far wall and went straight over to them…, I had a friend I hadn’t seen in over 15 years and wanted to see her… So we had gotten in touch with her through facebook, and she came. We were best friends in high school. She only lives about 20 minutes away…but something came between us and I don’t remember what and she doesn’t want to bring it up..so we won’t.

It was good to see everyone…even some of the” popular kids” came over to say hello…. Imagine that… Time changes everything.

I think I was the only one that left their hair natural ….white. Most everyone had colored theirs, so I stood out …not such a good thing.
    Most of my group was leaving as soon as photos were made of the classes, so I left after that, but I am glad I went.
    I suggest going if you can, it was a lot of fun!!
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Had a fabulous time in Sedona for Bob's family and high school reunion. His high school was in Jerome, which is now a building that hosts artists, and the whole town is an artist community, so I got to pick up a few handmade goodies :-)

Here's the view from our room in Sedona:
    photo_edited-4_zpsc13b4244.jpg

And some cool sculptures in town (the little girl taking the pic of the artist is a only a statue, too, not a real girl)

photo-3_edited-1_zpsb2685b05.jpg

photo-6_edited-1_zpsacf3b40c.jpg

Here"s a pic of Bob with his motley crew of siblings lol:
    IMG_1673r1_zpsfcb2e0e6.jpg

Here's a pic of a restaurant called "the Haunted hamburger" in Jerome (now a ghost town) where we had delicious cheeseburgers with no guilt cause of burning off the calories taking the stairs to get there lol:

IMG_1737r_zps14d4d494.jpg

IMG_1738r_zpsca6162fe.jpg

And a little fun at the reunion:

IMG_1707_edited-1_zps166414e2.jpg
  • Snooozie
    Options
    oooo Susan.. love the red mountain! and good thing you said the little girl was a statue i had to look twice! Its way nice Bob got a pic with his siblings too.. my sister and I are all that are left and we often joke we could have our family reunion in a phone booth.. so nice to have the group pic for hubby! Hope the NEXT beading class gets you your wishes for the lovely beads you bought!!

Gail - GOOD on ya for going in... I know it can be tough entering a room like that.. I used to dread it too because I was always quite shy.. but years ago I learned a trick which is to say to youself I'M GREAT! right before you go in.. it puts a smile on your face automatically (try it.. it works lol) and gives you that little boost to get in the door and adds a little confidence boost too.. so when you walk in you're smiling and happy and makes it way easier lol.. Now I have no problem .. altho that may be partly because of having the freedom of not caring anymore too... hm mmm lol so glad tho you got to hook up with your HS friend too!!

The end of the month is getting closer - we should start thinking about a topic for July maybe?? how's everyone doing with their June goals? I'm just over halfway towards my one for losing 3 lbs this month, and quite pleased with my performance for exercise.. i think i missed one day but the chalenge of having to do it every day has kept me far better on track .. i dont think i've every gone 30 days in a row with exercising.. well it will be 29 lol.. but am hoping it will be a good foundation for continuing!

I'm about to go down and do my lake walk then home for chores and my sister and I are hitting a patio this afternoon for margaritas to celebrate her surgery.. she hasnt ha a drink since we were in Costa Rica lol...and traditionally we do our "first" patio with a margarita so we have to get it in.. and its a gorgeous sunny day here and supposed to hit around 80 so perfect patio weather!

Ohhhh and I just realized its Friday.... so happy Friday to all - hpe everyone has a fabulous weekend too!!

Edited because I just saw you added more pics Susan.. love the heads in the wall one TOO funny!!!
  • seehe
    Options
    Epilogue to Reunion trip:
    When I was in Jerome, now an artist community, I went into this awesome bead store and got these really pretty stones, but knew I would need help to make the jewelery, so, upon returning to Tucson, I signed up for these two classes, one for making earrings and the other for stringing the necklace and bracelet (how's that for a run on sentence?? My freshman English teacher is rolling in her grave). Only thing is I didn't know they had a set agenda for the kind of earrings to make last night, which didn't work for my beads and were hard as hell to make with these itty bitty wires and beads and huge tools, and I was definitely special ed. I even had to sit at a separate table by myself cause I was the last one there lol.:ohwell: The young girl instructor was sweet and encouraging, but the young guy seemed to have an attitude about me cause I wasn't bohemian enough for him, which didn't help. I was all thumbs and trying to find just the right spot in my progressives to even see what I was doing with these infinitesimally small beads and wires :noway: The jerky guy didn't want to join in my fun and do a lot of it for me, as I clearly would have been there til midnight if he didn't, but he said "aren't you going to tell people YOU made these???" to which I replied "I'll be happy to tell the world that YOU made these if you just do some of this" so he helped a little, but the nice girl bailed me out, and I left with a pair of completed earrings two torturous hours later. And I didn't even get my goal accomplished of making earrings from the stones I had already purchased! Well, that was a free class, and Monday's string class is a paid for class, and supposed to be easier and give you a lot more one on one and instruction on technique, so, either because I have the life skill of perseverance, or else because I am a glutton for punishment, I am returning Monday evening with my beads from Jerome and hopefully going to leave with a necklace and bracelet. I know it wasn't hard in a workshop I did at Canyon Ranch to string some frikin beads, so hopefully Monday's adventure will be less daunting! I'll keep you posted !
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Harley, welcome to the group! Feel free to vent about anything, related to your fitness journey or otherwise, someone here has been there done that. And make sure you share your victories, NSV's especially, after all the number on the scale is nothing without the other benefits that come from healthy living.
    Gail, good on you for going to the reunion. I bet you were one of the Popular Girls! I was talking myself into going to my 40th high school reunion, but it ended up being on my daughter's wedding day. If my natural hair color was as pretty as yours, I would give up my hair coloring, but it is (or would be) blah brown with wiry gray spots.
    I really need to spend more time with my friends and by more I mean any, it seems there is always something to do and the time I spent going out is now going to tennis. The tennis ladies are all nice company but not share your secrets kind of friends.
    Susan, the Sedona reunion look so awesome, first your family, then your husband's family gathering together, I am jealous. I think it has been 10 years since my dad and all 5 of my siblings were together, although there have been times when 5 of us were together. There is an awesome bead store within walking distance of my office, but I have been too intimidated to try to make anything. Can't wait to hear about the next class. Hope you go Bohemian!
    Carol, I am sure you are rocking those size 12 shorts!
    Lesley, Hope you are feeling well, post-treatment, let us know.
    TA, do you miss your students yet?
    Tonya, whats going on with blood pressure-still impacting both ends?
    NSV-this morning after Body Pump it was so beautiful and not yet hot, so in order to convince DH to go on a 7am walk, I told him I would buy him a donut from his favorite bakery a half mile away. When we went into the bakery, I was not even tempted even though it smelled wonderful. I did not buy them any cookies because the last time, they didn't eat them all and a week later they were there when I was stress eating. If they aren't in the house I won't eat them. Tomorrow's 7am walk will be to the Farmer's Market and a much better kind of tempting foods. Right now I am looking forward to local corn!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Welcome Harley !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snooozie so proud that you bought the smaller sizes and breaking through mentally.

Carol you have worked hard and I know you must feel wonderful.

Janet its wonderful that you held up under the smell of donuts. The heat here has been ugh and even worse the humidity !!!!

As for missing my students I missed them within the first week but I am still enjoying the break. My sister from WY has been home. She leaves tomorrow so we have been squeezing in our last minutes visiting the last few days. My other sister and I treated her yesterday to lunch at Cotton and I am proud to say I made great choices with out much of a battle. I did want the sweet potato waffle but it came with fried chicken and I didn't really want it. In the end I had the shrimp and grits which was the yummiest I have had.

My married daughter's boss messed up her work schedule for vacation days (she ask for July) so when checking yesterday she found she has this week off. My little one had gone to stay a few days so they called asking could Madison go also. The husband has school next Thursday in New Orleans so we are making it a get away for the two of us. But that means 8 days with out my little one :huh: not sure how that is going to work. The return the Wednesday night and we leave at lunch Wednesday and won't be home until Saturday afternoon.

Hope everyone has a great weekend !!!
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Checking in here. We were fine in the storm except for a dripping leak around a sliding glass door. We finally figured out that our dishwasher had died full of water and was leaking down onto the door below. After replacing the dishwasher (which took almost a week to come in) we discovered that the valve leading to the dishwasher was leaking. We don't know if the dishwasher had to be replaced or not, but it was 14 years old. Close enough and everything works now. I'm very thankful to stop hand-washing dishes! Now to do all of the things I put off for this little adventure! It was like Cinderella week - mopping floors and doing dishes!

'Hope everyone is having a great weekend. What are you doing for vacation?
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,

I switched up the meds last night and wow, did I sleep better. So far so good with the "both ends"...lol I have been reading up on how to lower the BP and have read a lot about the Dash diet. I am going to give myself the 90 days and see what happens. This has been a little bit of a wake up call for me...I can't believe that I am not invincible. My LDL is 123 so I need to get that down and if I don't want to take a stress test then I need to lower my BP and get some more of this weight off. According to that little box I had several episodes within a 3 hour time period. Stress and anxiety seems to be the biggest factor at this point so I am working on those as well.

Gail, my 30th class reunion is this year and I haven't been to one yet. I always figured I didn't like them in school why go now. I am so happy you went there may be hope for me yet.

Susan, what lovely pictures. It looks like you and Bob had a great time and I can't wait to see pictures of the jewelry you make with the beads.

Harley, welcome to the group, I look forward to hearing more from you.

Oops everyone else it getting up now....there goes the peace and quiet. Have a great Sunday my dear friends
  • seehe
    Options
    Yay Tonya- glad you are doing better!
    Kobie- so happy to hear you are OK!

So thought I would share something that I ran across that made me chuckle:

Dumb Arizona Laws

Hunting camels is prohibited.

Any misdemeanor committed while wearing a red mask is considered a felony. This goes back in the days of the Wild West.

There is a possible 25 years in prison for cutting down a cactus.

Donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs.

When being attacked by a criminal or burglar, you may only protect yourself with the same weapon that the other person posseses.

It is unlawful to refuse a person a glass of water.

You may not have more than two *kitten* in a house.

Glendale
    Cars may not be driven in reverse.

Globe
    Cards may not be played in the street with a Native American.

Hayden
    If you bother the cottontails or bullfrogs, you will be fined.

Maricopa County
    No more than six girls may live in any house.

Mesa
    It is illegal to smoke cigarettes within 15 feet of a public place unless you have a Class 12 liqueur license.

Mohave County
    A decree declares that anyone caught stealing soap must wash himself with it until it is all used up.

Nogales
    An ordinance prohibits the wearing of suspenders.

Prescott
    No one is permitted to ride their horse up the stairs of the county court house.

Tucson
    Women may not wear pants.

Tombstone
    It is illegal for men and women over the age of 18 to have less than one missing tooth visible when smiling.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I know it's been quite a while since I was last here. So much trouble with cars, DH's health and mine. I have not been "myself" for some time. Finally worked up enough guts to go to the Doctor with my laundry list of problems. Got the answers, some good...some not so good.

Good. Cholesterol levels are perfect...Weight is fantastic...
    Not so good. I am now diabetic. I have high blood pressure. Am waiting for other test results.

Then comes in the Funny one. You all may kick me out after this.

I am Officially Post-Menopausal. Yes...I am DONE.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Susan, I am laughing my butt off. Makes you wonder what happened to even put some of those on the books. Hi Mem50.. glad to see you back.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    :sad: Snoozie sadly waves goodbye to the man bearing the margarita tray :drinker: .... deflates her rubber ducky flotation device :sad: slips out of the pool and prepares to head home... because she just cannot give up camel hunting......:cry: