Graduation Announcements!

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I graduated this morning and lived to tell about it! I remember reading the weekly intervals and thinking "no freakin' way!" but it's entirely possible and I'm proud of myself. I still run like a turtle in mud, but will continue to work on the endurance and speed. I have a "walker girl" decal on my car, I guess I can go buy the "runner girl" one.

Congrats!

(Still laughing at the "like a turtle in mud", because it reminds me of me!)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I graduated this morning and lived to tell about it! I remember reading the weekly intervals and thinking "no freakin' way!" but it's entirely possible and I'm proud of myself. I still run like a turtle in mud, but will continue to work on the endurance and speed. I have a "walker girl" decal on my car, I guess I can go buy the "runner girl" one.

Way to go!

My running power animal is the slug: sticky, slow, eats everything.
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    GRADUATED TODAY!!! W9D3 30 minute/3 mile run in the books. What a huge boost to my self-confidence. I will admit that I went into the C25K with the attitude of "If I finish it, I finish it. If not, oh well." But the further I got into the program, the more determined I became and the more confidence I built.

BTW - I am a 46 year old with serious foot problems (gout, bunions, flexible flat foot, arthritis, etc). If I can do this, anyone can do it.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Great job on overcoming your challenges!!! By the way, running might help your flexible flat foot. As I've gotten stronger, my feet don't mush over as much. The muscle keeps the arch high and the foot tracking correctly.
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a difference in my feet. I figure that it is a combination of losing nearly 70 pounds and the running. I didn't want to rip the soles out of my running shoes so I have been running without my orthotics. (Don't tell my podiatrist) I got extra wide running shoes and they felt "sloppy" at first but I haven't had a single problem with my feet since I started. I can't wait until my annual physical with my family doctor so he can see the weight loss and hopefully take me off a couple of the meds that I am currently taking.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I have noticed a difference in my feet. I figure that it is a combination of losing nearly 70 pounds and the running. I didn't want to rip the soles out of my running shoes so I have been running without my orthotics. (Don't tell my podiatrist) I got extra wide running shoes and they felt "sloppy" at first but I haven't had a single problem with my feet since I started. I can't wait until my annual physical with my family doctor so he can see the weight loss and hopefully take me off a couple of the meds that I am currently taking.

That post is FULL of win!
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Congrats to the new grads... AWESOME!!!!
  • CogitoErgoSum2
    CogitoErgoSum2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Graduated today.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Graduated today.

Congratulations! You did it!
  • jessiekanga
    Options
    Graduated today.

Woo hoo!!!!!! Run on!
  • Coastalpath
    Coastalpath Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have just graduated and am so pleased! I always visualised finishing, believing I could and would do it and I did, only a few weeks off target due to an (unrelated) injury. Even with that, I remained positive. I am so pleased. If I can do it I believe almost anyone can. A positive outlook and support are all you need. This is a very good board and I've come here for inspiration all the way through. I now consider myself a runner! I am going to continue to get fitter and faster.

My tip would be, don't assume other runners know you are new to it and don't assume they are seasoned runners. Each person is unique and goes at their own pace with their own goals. I used to assume every other runner was more experienced than me and felt really exposed as a new runner. Now I can see no one really pays any attention and actually are very supportive with a nod as you pass each other. I've seen some people look longingly as I am running, assuming I am experienced when that's not the case. I want to say to them "look, I've only been doing this for 12 weeks you can do it too!"
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Coastal - sadly, now every non-runner will assume that you are somehow gifted genetically to be able to run three miles. Really. I'm not kidding.

Also, you are right. Runners tend to have incredible run-dysmorphia anyway. YOUR times are awesome and you are totally cool for getting out there. THEY are incredibly slow, even though their easy pace is your race time. Also, THEY haven't been runners for that long. Only 6 years or so. So you shouldn't feel like *that* much of a newbie. Seriously, though, there is not another group of people on the planet who are more supportive of new people.

btsinmd, Cogito and Coastal - WAY TO GO!!!! You all rock!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Way to go, everyone! :happy:
  • CogitoErgoSum2
    CogitoErgoSum2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :)

Today I run 5K and very very good feeling, happy and proud :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thank you everyone :)

Today I run 5K and very very good feeling, happy and proud :)

You should be proud!
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone! So inspiring to read your graduation announcements :drinker:
  • ennuifreezone
    ennuifreezone Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I finally made it! I am still slower than I'd like - yesterday I ran for distance and timed my 5k at 35mins exactly, but it felt good. I think I might try to up my speed before aiming for farther distances. I run on a track, and I did notice I passed a couple of people yesterday! So I am getting better. Thanks everyone for your support, this forum is awesome!
  • jessiekanga
    Options
    I finally made it! I am still slower than I'd like - yesterday I ran for distance and timed my 5k at 35mins exactly, but it felt good. I think I might try to up my speed before aiming for farther distances. I run on a track, and I did notice I passed a couple of people yesterday! So I am getting better. Thanks everyone for your support, this forum is awesome!

Congrats! Please don't fret about your time. My first 5k distance took me 48 minutes. 4 months later I'm at 37. Time is relative, but it does tend to quicken on its own the more you run. Congrats again!
  • likitisplit
    Options

Congratulations on your success. I wouldn't worry about concentrating on speed. As long as you keep running, you'll likely pick up speed dramatically over the next few months. Experienced runners envy us our newbie gains :)
  • mabelton62
    mabelton62 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Completed W9D3 this morning, so happy and surprised myself that at 50 years old I managed to complete the whole program and now I can run for 30 minutes straight, just a few short weeks ago I struggled to do the 1.5 minutes of jogging, Now moving on to the 5k to 10k program, need to increase speed and distance and have signed up for first 5k fun run August 25th. :smile: