Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so well. I have friends who gave up after week 3 so it's great to see so many people here kicking *kitten*.

That is so sad. I've seen a lot of people derail in week 4 too. And almost everybody who makes it through week 5 finishes. I think it's a combination of going too fast and becoming intimidated.
    Yesterday I did w7d1 and did 27m30s instead of 25 mins and today I thought I may as well go for it (skipping week7 and 8) - ignored time, went slowly and went for the full 5k with no walking/stopping. Did it in 30mins 50secs. Hopefully over time I'll bring that down to a 10 min mile. It's amazing how last month I found 60 secs difficult and now I can do a 5k.

30:50? Talk about going too fast :) If I were you, I'd finish the C25k program (it's no different than what any plan would have you do, and "graduating" is nice) and use the time to find a good plan for continuing. Runner's World SmartCoach is a good resource, as are any of the 5k to 10k apps.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Saturday I did 4.69 miles with week 10, Day 3 of C210K.

Today I did 4.96 miles with week 11, Day 1 of C210K.

I may even break 5 miles this week!!
    Man! I'm on week 13 of c210k, and I'm getting just barely over 4 miles. I'm jealous of your distance!
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Saturday, I finally completely W5D3 after trying on and off for 6 weeks.

I had been stalled on this run since the end of June, making a couple honest attempts then taking a break from the "official" program due to the weather, a vacation, crazy schedule, and the snakes in my brain. Last week I started running with a couple ladies who happened to be starting Week 5 and I am SO GLAD I did. I've been doing the program solo up to this point, and being with a group really helped get me out of my own head so that I could really just enjoy the experience.

Our path took us through a neighborhood and down part of a paved trail (the one where I've been running solo) and back through the neighborhood. We had the perfect slow pace going and it felt like we maintained that throughout. Not once did I feel like I needed to stop and was actually able to talk the whole time. It was just NICE. We finished the last minute doing down a steep hill, and I took great pleasure in sprinting the last 30 second. In hindsight it was a little obnoxious b/c I'm always the slowest...but I was just so excited to have finally done it!

We are already talking about finding post-graduation runs to do, so I'm really excited about having some buddies to run with who are on my same level.

If you are finding yourself stuck, remember the adage "If you keep doing things the same way, you're going to get the same results". look at all the different variables (when, where, who with, etc.) and trying mixing things up to get past your slump.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I've been running, walking, or riding the bike almost every day.

I went to a Zumba class on Tuesday and came to a realization. It takes a lot more effort to get my heart rate up than it used to. My heart rate never got above 100 during the Zumba class and I thought I was really moving!

When I ran almost 6 miles on Saturday and rode the bike 27 miles on Sunday, I realized that I'm not struggling to breathe like I used to. My legs give out long before my lungs. After the third time up a huge hill on the bike, my heart rate was around 120. (A year ago, I couldn't ride the bike up that hill, had to stop mid way to rest or push the bike. Yesterday, I rode up it 4 times!)

Anyway, on Saturday, I completed 5 to 10k week 4 day 3. It was my first day to run with music and it really made a difference in my pace! I need to run with music, apparently!

Stats: (distance version)
    2 run intervals of 2.7 mi with 500 yd walk in the middle
    Total distance (w/wu & cd): 6.56 mi
    Overall pace (not inc wu/cd): 10:44
    Fastest interval pace: 10:05
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Saturday I did 4.69 miles with week 10, Day 3 of C210K.

Today I did 4.96 miles with week 11, Day 1 of C210K.

I may even break 5 miles this week!!

That's fantastic! Congrats. I start C210K soon. I just want to enjoy a few weeks of graduating C25K first.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    @4m3 - I kept looking ahead going "what?! no way!" - first it was 3 minutes.. then 5... then 8... and what do you know, it trains you so well, if you follow it to a T, you CAN do it :) just need a little voice in your head with a megaphone cheering you on! for me it helps to not look at the time or even distance, I just look straight ahead, focus on my posture and keep pushing until that robotic lady tells me I can stop running /huff /puff

@vand - I take water with me and drink it frequently throughout my run, mostly just to cool my mouth down and hopefully cool the body down too - doesn't seem to help. my friend brings a hand held fan and I snag that but it only works while it's on me, the second I turn it off, my body is too hot! I'm not necessarily letting others dictate my speed but at the same time it's a little demotivating to hear how "slow" I'm running. sheesh, I'm RUNNING, that's enough for me!! :)
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    W7D1 down. Get to do the same routine on Wednesday for W7D2. Can't wait!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    If you are finding yourself stuck, remember the adage "If you keep doing things the same way, you're going to get the same results". look at all the different variables (when, where, who with, etc.) and trying mixing things up to get past your slump.

AWESOME advice.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

AWESOME advice.
    I have this quote from anonymous in my profile:
    "If you want something you've never had, then you've got to do something you've never done."
    In my case it is health that I haven't had.
  • knkmfp
    knkmfp Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hi there. New here, having just done Wk2D1 today. Planning to go out again on Thursday and Saturday, with Zumba tomorrow. The transition from wk1 to wk2 wasn't as horrible as I thought.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hi there. New here, having just done Wk2D1 today. Planning to go out again on Thursday and Saturday, with Zumba tomorrow. The transition from wk1 to wk2 wasn't as horrible as I thought.

Congratulations on starting! That's a major milestone!
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Completed W7D2, looking forward to next run, completing week 7 and moving on to week 8.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Did W8D1 today with my farthest distance and fastest time. I ran 1.83 miles with a pace of 15.20min/mile. Hoping to get under 15 on W8D2.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Did W8D1 today with my farthest distance and fastest time. I ran 1.83 miles with a pace of 15.20min/mile. Hoping to get under 15 on W8D2.

Great job! :)
  • sdionnemoore
    sdionnemoore Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am on my last run--the 5K--tomorrow. I can't believe I'm almost done! Someone mentioned W5 being tough for them. It was for me too. I think I spent two or three weeks just repeating W5. I finally just moved on. I still have to stop on occasion (found out through RunKeeper app that the first 1.5 of my route is all uphill, which might explain why I have such a tough time with that section), but I power walk when I do. My fastest pace so far is just under 13 minutes per mile. And this cool weather we're having in August. . .wow! It's really helping!

I'm not sure if I will continue running after graduating. I can't say that I really enjoy it. I do however, see that my quads are really defined now. Plus, it's time to change my workout program. I try to do that every few months to keep it interesting and avoid plateaus. I think I will keep running through our vacation though--a cruise--which means food, food, food! I'll have to offset the eating with the running!
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Did Week 5, Day 3 this morning, and finished all 20 minutes without stopping. This was a big victory for me, physically and psychologically- when I looked at that *20* waiting for me a few weeks ago, I could not comprehend it as an achievable goal. Even finishing Week 5, Days 1 & 2, it still seemed crazy.

I had a cold this weekend, and still have a nagging cough, but I really wanted to get out there today. I told myself to just try for 10 minutes, but after the first two I realized I could totally do this, and I did!

I also noticed that my backfat no longer feels like a heavy backpack bouncing on my shoulders, haha.
  • vzgregg
    vzgregg Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just finished W4D2. The 5 minute intervals aren't as bad as I was expecting. Not sure if it's because I'm actually becoming a better runner or if I've just psyched myself up for running that long. Pace is pretty slow at just above a 10 min mile for those 5 min runs...and just under 10 min mile for the 3 min runs. Will probably repeat week for for a couple of weeks especially due to some stuff I have coming up the next week and week after. But...it's progress!

Oh...today I ran into a friend who was on a bike ride who rode with me for one of my 5 min intervals...and it seemed to be easier running and chatting with him that just running and listening to music. Anyone else find that to be true when running with others?
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ah did W2D1 last night. Still going strong :P
    I think my mind is giving up before my body does lol. I'll find myself stop running, then realize how little time is left and I'll be like "wtf? I can do that!"
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Just finished W4D3. The last interval was tough, but I made it :smile: I'm still pretty amazed that I'm actually keeping up with this, my inner couch potato disagrees with this lifestyle :wink:
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying this program so much, I brought my work out clothes to work and did my workout on my lunch break! I found a nice wooded trail behind our building at work and even came upon a deer, about 2 feet away!

Today was week 2, day 1. Of course, on this trail that I am not entirely familiar with, my first run was up a hill! Oh well. Now I know for next time.