Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Completed W7D3 this morning!!!

Uh oh... what to do when I finish week 8 at the end of the week?? (Not up to 5k, though.) Should I just keep plugging along for 30 min or so each workout and increase speed a little each week? Or go back to the earlier intervals and work on speed gradually that way? Or maybe try the Zombie Run app? Any advice will be welcome :)

I would suggest concentrating on increasing your distance rather than speed, the speed will improve itself over time. I wasn't running 5k in the 30 minutes at the end of the programme. I decided to carry on running 3 times a week, adding a few more minutes to each run. First I ran for 34 minutes and then I went for 38 minutes and made the 5k. I'm happy with that distance for now, I run 5k three times a week

Thanks for sharing! I will probably try this method. :smile:

Are you guys not doing week 9?
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

Uh oh... what to do when I finish week 8 at the end of the week?? (Not up to 5k, though.) Should I just keep plugging along for 30 min or so each workout and increase speed a little each week? Or go back to the earlier intervals and work on speed gradually that way? Or maybe try the Zombie Run app? Any advice will be welcome :)

I would suggest concentrating on increasing your distance rather than speed, the speed will improve itself over time. I wasn't running 5k in the 30 minutes at the end of the programme. I decided to carry on running 3 times a week, adding a few more minutes to each run. First I ran for 34 minutes and then I went for 38 minutes and made the 5k. I'm happy with that distance for now, I run 5k three times a week

Depending on the program/app you use, week 8 is the end. For others, week 9 is the end. It just depends on your program.
  • mel_2812
    mel_2812 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    W5 Day 1 for me tonight...we'll see how it goes.

I am not a runner. I would like to love running, but for the moment, I don't.

When did or did you develop a passion for running?
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

See this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1081933-runners-when-does-running-become-enjoyable

Here's the meat of my comment in that thread:
    Personally, week 5 is when I started to love running, and in the past I never would have thought that was possible. I'm now finishing the Zen Labs c210k program and doing a full 60-minute run on Thursday (if I can get out of bed at 4:15am grumble ). I'm planning to continue and sign up for the Feb 2015 Disney Princess half-marathon in June and hope to do a full-marathon before I turn 30. I definitely caught the running bug! :laugh:

With that said, you may not ever enjoy it, and that's okay. You don't have to run. If you like to dance, try Zumba; if you like to ride your bike, do that; etc. I think the key is finding something active that you enjoy and doing that.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Started C25k April 19 and have since completed it and 5 to 10k. This morning I ran an hour without stopping. I still don't LOVE running, but I don't HATE it either!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

I wouldn't say that I have a passion for running, but I did start enjoying it when I started C25K in August. The anticipation of reaching that next level is what I like.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Finished W5D1 today! I purposely took it at a slower pace today rather than push myself to go a bit faster like usual since my legs were really sore from my personal trainer and strength training yesterday, but surprisingly it was an amazing run and I really enjoyed it. Even wanted to run longer!
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hope your heel feels better @Jadedone!

Just finished W8D1 and it wasn't as horrible as W7D3 but it was almost as bad :p I don't know why the runs felt like they were getting easier and now they feel like I'm getting into my own head. Ugh. And the gym is so incredibly HOT, adding to the pleasures of not sweating enough :p Oh well, it's in the books! 3 more official runs to do and then I'm finished with the program! Then to work on speed, first race in about a month :D
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Yes I did week 9, three 30 minute runs, I still don't run 5k in 30 mins though, I'm not that fast lol.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options

I did just check out the next workout - which I will do on Wednesday. Run for 20 minutes without walking?! Gonna have to pysche myself up big time for that one - but since I'll know to expect it, I'm hoping it won't be so bad!

I was so nervous of that run and I actually really enjoyed it. And the feeling afterwards is amazing, I felt like I could do anything in the world :laugh: You can do it!
  • badwolfIO
    badwolfIO Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    WK3D2 done. It was a hard run this morning. I wish my trail was lit so I could run there in the morning. I don't like the road running as much. If Thursday is similar to today, I may have to repeat week 3. But... no worries. I'm still moving.
    :D
  • Goalsat47
    Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 3, day 3 last night and it felt so good. Struggled a little on the second 3 minute run but when the Run Double app said its time to do a cool down walk I was just so thrilled with myself.

On to week 4. I almost want to start it tonight but I will wait until tomorrow evening.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    today was supposed to be a rest day, tomorrow will be W4D2...however, all the kids were gone to activities so wife and I decided to eat out...and 1000 calories later, I decided I needed to do something today...I didn't want to deviate from the program , so I decided to see if I could run a mile without stopping...

I did that, was slow (9 minutes) as I felt heavy this morning, but at the end I felt like I could have went another mile...

Can't say enough that I think this program works and looking forward to hitting W4D2 tomorrow.

BTW...El Charro is evil and mexican food is an evil temptress.
  • AmandaForKeeps
    AmandaForKeeps Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Did W5D1 this morning. Super humid and trash day = stinky run :P

This may sound weird but I felt like a beautiful runner today. I was sweating like crazy (because Michigan weather is stupid. It will be 30 degree cooler on my next run day) but had a rhythm and felt strong. I'm kinda liking this running thing.
  • teamAmelia
    Options
    After doing W5D1 yesterday morning, I was so anxious to do a test run of W5D2, so I did. It was hot as heck and I almost gave up after the second walk bc I thought that there were three 8-minute runs. I'm so glad that I stuck w it and was shocked and relieved when the announcement told me that I had finished the workout! :laugh:

Then, this morning, I did a test run of W5D3 and did 20 minutes of straight running. I'm so glad that I was able to go from 5-minute runs to 8-minute runs in one day, and then do a 20-minute run about 12 hours later. A few wks ago, I was concerned that running everyday would tire me out, but now I know that I can run everyday! And, today's run was soooo much better bc the sun wasn't out. I will never make the mistake of running in that type of heat again.

For both W5D1, for the running alone, I kept a steady pace of 4.7 mph.

For W5D2, I kept it steady at 4.4 mph and I skipped the warmup and cooldown. I just wanted to jump right into it and see my stats afterwards. :laugh:
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I did W2D3 last night with no problems really. My lungs aren't feeling like they're dying as much anymore like they did a week ago! Towards the last run I definitely have to push to complete it, but I haven't had to stop once yet throughout the program.

I will admit though, looking ahead to those 8 minute, 20 minute etc runs is pretty scary. It's hard to picture myself ever doing that.
  • teamAmelia
    Options
    Did W5D1 this morning. Super humid and trash day = stinky run :P

This may sound weird but I felt like a beautiful runner today. I was sweating like crazy (because Michigan weather is stupid. It will be 30 degree cooler on my next run day) but had a rhythm and felt strong. I'm kinda liking this running thing.
    Yeah, the weather does affect you, so I bet you'll do better when you're not dying from the heat. Michigan weather sounds like Texas weather. lol
    WK3D2 done. It was a hard run this morning. I wish my trail was lit so I could run there in the morning. I don't like the road running as much. If Thursday is similar to today, I may have to repeat week 3. But... no worries. I'm still moving.
    :D
    I wouldn't repeat it bc weeks 3 and 4 are almost similar. You're doing 3-min walks in wk 3 and you'll start off the wk4 run doing 3-min runs. The second run is just an additional two minutes. You can do it!!! :bigsmile: You'll be amazed that you can actually push yourself for the extra two minutes. Whatever you do, like you said, all that matters is that you're still moving. Good luck.
    I didn't want to deviate from the program , so I decided to see if I could run a mile without stopping... I did that, was slow (9 minutes) as I felt heavy this morning, but at the end I felt like I could have went another mile...
    :frown: Well, I feel REALLY slow, then. You're doing 6.6 mph. Doing a mile in nine minutes is not slow, IMO. I think that you're doing great. :smile:
    Towards the last run I definitely have to push to complete it, but I haven't had to stop once yet throughout the program..... I will admit though, looking ahead to those 8 minute, 20 minute etc runs is pretty scary. It's hard to picture myself ever doing that.
    You didn't think that you were going to finish the last part of the run, but you did it. The same thing will happen for the 8 and 12-minute runs. :smile:
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    You didn't think that you were going to finish the last part of the run, but you did it. The same thing will happen for the 8 and 12-minute runs. :smile:
    I hope you're right! I'll definitely check in here more often - seems like a really friendly group which is rare on here! Plus it's great seeing all of the progress everybody else is making :smile:
    Maybe running will feel a little bit less like murder knowing that I have other people in the same boat, haha
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    re: the 20+ minute runs... I try and not think about the first leg/first mile otherwise I start panicking - I tend to focus on steady to get there, then I can extend my stride a bit or whatnot so I don't burn up all my energy in the first half, because then I know I'm halfway done! Also, I run routes so that on the second part I'm heading in the direction of home already instead of away...

You just have to talk to your legs and tell them they are fine and they are not allowed to give up! :) I did wk7d1 yesterday and it was awesome. 2.31 miles in 31.02 - (includes warm up 5 min walk) that's an average of 4.5mph which is really slow to me, but hey, I can do it and not stop so I am ecstatic! :)
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am on W5D3 tonight... the dreaded 20 min run. Not sure if i am going to be able to run tonight as it is 44c degrees here (110f), and that is too hot for me to run in. I will see later how it goes.

I did run my first km on Sunday! Took me 9.5 minutes but I did it!! Hoping the 20 min run will allow me to do a full 2km... and if not I will push my run until it does