EPLWE! general chit chat thread.

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's quite the thread. I had to google cabala diet. No surprise there. It's juice fast to cleanse the TOXINZ! Complete with a colonic kit. :sick: And cutting out all chocolate, sweets, candy, cookies, pizza and ice cream. Sounds like the makings for a real happy Halloween and festive Thanksgiving. What a miserable way to spend the weeks and month preceding the holiday season. And what's sad is that with the Biggest Loser starting next week, it will get worse, because people with that same quick fix, torture yourself mentality are gonna be thinking that it's perfectly reasonably to expect to drop 10lbs a week. I do watch it occasionally, but I despise the premise and am highly annoyed that they spend zero time teaching the viewers or contestants anything about moderation or sustainability.

me too.

and now the broscience in Extreme Weight Loss and the rush to get these people to skin removal surgery has turned me off that show. i don't think i've seen any episodes of that one this year now.

if somebody just made a half-hour TV show covering the fundamentals the way people here on MFP cover the fundamentals, overnight millions of people could and would begin to change their lives. it's as if the TV people don't want the unfiltered truth about weight loss to be revealed. instead all they do is talk about peripheral issues like what foods you shouldn't eat, or showing people doing planks, or whatever. just a show about the actual physics of weight gain and loss and a simple tutorial on how to weigh and track your food and exercise and adjust your diet to meet your daily nutritional needs would do wonders.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's quite the thread. I had to google cabala diet. No surprise there. It's juice fast to cleanse the TOXINZ! Complete with a colonic kit. :sick: And cutting out all chocolate, sweets, candy, cookies, pizza and ice cream. Sounds like the makings for a real happy Halloween and festive Thanksgiving. What a miserable way to spend the weeks and month preceding the holiday season. And what's sad is that with the Biggest Loser starting next week, it will get worse, because people with that same quick fix, torture yourself mentality are gonna be thinking that it's perfectly reasonably to expect to drop 10lbs a week. I do watch it occasionally, but I despise the premise and am highly annoyed that they spend zero time teaching the viewers or contestants anything about moderation or sustainability.

I attempted the "whole 30" once. Lasted six days. Sure I dropped weight in those six days - but so would anyone giving up EVERYTHING except lean meats, green vegetables, sweet potatoes and fruits. Oh and me without wine, grains, sugar and the like makes me stabby! Ugh! I feel fine eating things in moderation. Imagine that!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's tonight's Ice Cream:
    Chapman's Peanut Butter Crunch 3/4 cup 240cal
    Topping: Dark Chocolate Syrup: 65cal
    Crust: Chocolate Baking Crumbs and Peanut Butter: 180cals
    Total:485
    th_6251beea-fc1d-49b6-85b5-ac62ba20e07f_zps2b5bd07e.jpg
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I am getting dizzy looking at it - Love it :smile:
    Okay, here's tonight's Ice Cream:
    Chapman's Peanut Butter Crunch 3/4 cup 240cal
    Topping: Dark Chocolate Syrup: 65cal
    Crust: Chocolate Baking Crumbs and Peanut Butter: 180cals
    Total:485
    th_6251beea-fc1d-49b6-85b5-ac62ba20e07f_zps2b5bd07e.jpg
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    I am getting dizzy looking at it - Love it. :smile:
    I must say this is the easiest challenge I have ever participated in. Most of them have you doing Burpees by now.:laugh: Figuring out how to have ice cream everyday is far more pleasant. I've been participating on this thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077331-pb-bacon-shake?page=1#posts-17159914
    and trying to figure out a lower calorie clone to Sonic's peanut butter and bacon shake. :laugh:
    I would try the real thing, but we don't have a Sonic here, nor do I feel ambitious enough to try and burn off 1700 extra calories for one drink.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    how's everyone doing so far?

once you have your macros figured out and your calorie deficit figured out, IIFYM is really just a matter of picking the foods you normally eat in combinations and quantities that keep you in line with your goals. you still can't eat a whole pizza every day and expect to lose weight... it's not magic. you have to exercise some control and willpower, but making room for some sort of treat every day sure does make that a lot easier.

to anyone who is struggling, i always suggest "pre-plan your meals a day in advance". that really helps in my experience. if you're going to go over on calories, but your macros are good, then schedule some time for cardio to make it work... and never get so caught up in the daily numbers that you're not seeing the bigger picture of your weekly and monthly averages.

if you're sort of geeky and like numbers (like me), set up a spreadsheet to augment the tracking you do on MFP.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    Doing good!
    I feel that I have the calorie deficit figured out. I was successful last month at eating between my BMR and my TDEE.
    Now this challenge has got me paying more attention to my macros. I am trying the weekly approach and I keep a spreadsheet offline (I am a Über numbers geek!). Then, I will be able to see any trends (not enough protein) etc.

The great thing about this challenge is that it is a "game" for me now to eat formerly forbidden foods and "post" them.
    (Phone to Evernote to Bitmap shrinking/editing tool to Photobuck is really really quick and easy)

Before when I was trying to eat super "clean" I would get so obsessed that I would be thinking about food all the time. Now, knowing that I can eat something "new normal" I don't fret and trust the "process".

I want to be able to be another example at the end of the month that you can have your Cake and Pizza and eat it too!

Brainy Burro - Big thanks!:drinker:
  • LadyKT
    Options
    Im not sure if its because ive been sick and home, but ive been dealing with some binge issues lately. Ugh. I dont even know why. Is tracking again stressing me out? Who knows. But ive faithfully tracked everything, even accepting the fact that i keep going way over. Maybe i need to only do pizza 1x a week? Im sure ill figure this out eventually.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    Im not sure if its because ive been sick and home, but ive been dealing with some binge issues lately. Ugh. I dont even know why. Is tracking again stressing me out? Who knows. But ive faithfully tracked everything, even accepting the fact that i keep going way over. Maybe i need to only do pizza 1x a week? Im sure ill figure this out eventually.

try pre-planning.

also, get something to snack on when you feel hungry that isn't going to wipe out your calories for the day... grapes, oranges, bananas, apples.

also, keep busy. when you feel a binge coming on, go outside for a 3 or 4 or 5 mile walk. not only does that take you away from the food, but it burns off a bunch of calories.

space your protein intake through the day. protein makes you feel fuller, longer, so eating 20g-30g of protein when you feel hungry can often stop you from eating a lot more calories in carbs.

there are all sorts of strategies people use. you just need to find one that works for you until you get your diet adjusted to meet all of your goals while keeping you from feeling hungry during the day.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    Are you bingeing primarily at night? If so, I used to do the same, but now I have the larger part of my calories at night, that has helped a lot. You have to tailor the program for your own preferences, including meal timing and frequency.

Edit: to add, I agree with BrainyBurro's suggestion about preplanning, as well. That has been a tremendous help for me. I sit down every evening and plan all my meals and the treats for the next day. If the protein, fat and fiber are looking low-ish, then I do a few swap outs. For example, while I would like Captain Crunch for breakfast, it's not giving me diddly for fiber, so I usually have to have Fiber One instead. If I'm set on having the Captain Crunch, I would have to swap out the ice cream. And if I think I won't be getting much activity in, I plan my intake to be on the lower side, and vice versa. But, as has been mentioned, you can look at it with weekly totals in mind. A high day does not mean that all is lost, you can make up for it later with a slightly larger deficit on another day.
  • LadyKT
    Options
    Even pre-planning doesn't work. I get in these "i want it" moods and no matter how hard I try, I just have to cave. It's like a drug addiction or something. It's awful. I think I have some rooted issues I need to work on....
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    @cindy
    Edit: to add, I agree with BrainyBurro's suggestion about preplanning, as well. That has been a tremendous help for me. I sit down every evening and plan all my meals and the treats for the next day

This is exactly why I am doing this challenge. It is like a "reverse" thinking process for me. By building my day around the "treats" (the metaphorical anti-carrot) It really makes me eat "clean" the rest of the day.

That is the irony here! - Eating Pizza requires DISCIPLINE! (my mind is officially blown) :glasses:

@LadyKT - Hang in there - we are here for you :smile:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    I think I am going to defect from this group to this group!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/188-21-day-no-junk-food-challenge
  • cem614
    cem614 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am down 2.6lb. Had a cheeseburger and fries for supper....never think to take pictures until after I finish eating though.
  • cem614
    cem614 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Well....if you like celery :grumble:
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    awesome!
    I am down 2.6lb. Had a cheeseburger and fries for supper....never think to take pictures until after I finish eating though.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    @cindy
    Edit: to add, I agree with BrainyBurro's suggestion about preplanning, as well. That has been a tremendous help for me. I sit down every evening and plan all my meals and the treats for the next day.

This is exactly why I am doing this challenge. It is like a "reverse" thinking process for me. By building my day around the "treats" (the metaphorical anti-carrot) It really makes me eat "clean" the rest of the day.

That is the irony here! - Eating Pizza requires DISCIPLINE! (my mind is officially blown) :glasses:

Yes! I put in the treat first and build around it too! It does work wonders.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options

Well....if you like celery :grumble:
    I went there just for chuckles. It has 1254 members, most of whom apparently gave up on MFP months ago. Of the few tentatively clinging on to the demonization of "junk food" and putting it into practice, fully two have started an October Challenge. I don't envy them. :laugh:
  • LadyKT
    Options
    @cindy
    Edit: to add, I agree with BrainyBurro's suggestion about preplanning, as well. That has been a tremendous help for me. I sit down every evening and plan all my meals and the treats for the next day.

I have to be selective in my treats. I can do pizza daily, i just cant order the whole pie and expect it to last an entire week. Same thing when it comes to sweets. Cant get an entire chocolate bar and expect it to last the car ride home ...

I dont like throwing the "food addict" term around, but i have the tendencies. Ill get through this.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    @cindy

I have to be selective in my treats. I can do pizza daily, i just cant order the whole pie and expect it to last an entire week. Same thing when it comes to sweets. Cant get an entire chocolate bar and expect it to last the car ride home ...

I dont like throwing the "food addict" term around, but i have the tendencies. Ill get through this.

i bought a couple of pizzas i late september. ate my fill. then froze the rest individually. you'd be surprised how easy it is to avoid the temptation of pizza when you have to let each slice thaw for a couple of hours before nuking it for 45 seconds in the microwave (aka death box) so that you can eat it. these slices would not have lasted this long if just kept in the fridge, but in the freezer it's a different story. :)