What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• ktaylormusic
    ktaylormusic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Tina Fey's memoir Bossypants -- hilarious, easy read, yet with interesting content, even for this non SNL-watcher. Feminist and funny.

Where'd you go, Bernadette? - very engaging novel, with, in my opinion, some flaws, but also funny in a biting social commentary way.

And I'm always thumbing through one of Alice Munro's books, re-reading her stories.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Just an fyi if you are excited to read the new Bridget jones book do not look it up online! Huge spoilers! I have never heard of this happening before. It just came out and professional reviewers have the spoiler in the title of the article! I repeat, If you like the series just buy the book dont look online.
  • MsSophySticated
    MsSophySticated Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I just finished Big Girl by Danielle Steel :smile: LOVED IT!
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just finished The Husband's Secret, Liane Moriarty. Very good, not the secret you were thinking....
    also Coraline by Neil Gaiman, kind of creepy but not one of those where your afraid to go to sleep
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Just an fyi if you are excited to read the new Bridget jones book do not look it up online! Huge spoilers! I have never heard of this happening before. It just came out and professional reviewers have the spoiler in the title of the article! I repeat, If you like the series just buy the book dont look online.
    If it's the "spoiler" I think you're talking about, it really isn't a spoiler since it's revealed within the first few pages, anyway.

I'm about 50 pages into it and am disappointed. I was afraid I would be, but I bought it, anyway, because I loved the first two so much.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    witch world - pike
  • Target126
    Target126 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Current read is Camilla Lackberg - The Drowning, also reading 7lbs in 7 days Super Juice Diet by Jason Vale
  • Doxeydoxie
    Options
    Almost through "Feast for Crows" book 4 of the Thrones series. OMG...LOVE IT!! These books have been absolutely AWESOME! Big step to start them since they all are over 900 pages each but no regrets. Highly recommend!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Almost through "Feast for Crows" book 4 of the Thrones series. OMG...LOVE IT!! These books have been absolutely AWESOME! Big step to start them since they all are over 900 pages each but no regrets. Highly recommend!
    OMG. I am trying not to think about how long until book 6 comes out! AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!
  • cfeineigle
    cfeineigle Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Currently reading Doctor Sleep by Stephen King (It is almost Halloween and all!) I'm half way through and absolutely love it so far! :happy:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Just finished The Circle by Dave Eggers. Now reading Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Also reading Allegiant, the third book of the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    OMG. I am trying not to think about how long until book 6 comes out! AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

I have been wanting to read them, but I am really enjoying the tv show and don't want to spoil that. A friend's son found that he didn't enjoy the show as much when he knew some of the surprises already (he started the books after season 2 I think). What do you think?
  • rml_16
    Options

I have been wanting to read them, but I am really enjoying the tv show and don't want to spoil that. A friend's son found that he didn't enjoy the show as much when he knew some of the surprises already (he started the books after season 2 I think). What do you think?
    I'm the type of person who will read ahead in books and scour Wikipedia for spoilers, so I may not be the best person to ask. :-)

I really like the first two seasons, but was quite disappointed in the third. Part of it is because when you know whta's coming, some of the things happening on the show don't make sense and many are not done quite as well as in the books (and not because of budgetary issues, they just change the story enough to make you get pretty annoyed). Season 1 is VERY close to book 1 and season 2 deviates very little. Season 3 is pretty far off in a lot of ways, though.

What I like about watching and reading at the same time is that there are events in the show that aren't in the books (because the books are from specific POVs and those characters can't witness certain things) and so you get a bigger picture and can put some of the puzzle pieces together better -- like what Littlefinger's motivation might be.

Part of the fun of the overall story is trying to guess where he's going with it, what "ice and fire" means, what certain prophecies are about, character motivation, what the REAL story is. So it doesn't bother me too much to watch and read at the same time. But it's a personality thing, so I can't say whether it would bother you.
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The Night Circus by erin Morgenstern
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    Jus5 finished empty promises by Ann Rule and The Book Thief both very good books
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    The Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline. Good read and enlightened me about a period in history, I knew little about.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Just finished The Circle by Dave Eggers. Now reading Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Also reading Allegiant, the third book of the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    How are you liking Goldfinch?
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    Just statted finding emma by sheena holmes, so far really good
  • viktorijandz
    viktorijandz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    'Chocolat' by Joanne Harris.