What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• jennyk3298
    Options
    I loved "The Book Thief". One of my very favorite books. I just finished Jodi Picoult's new book "The Storyteller". Next up "How to Be A Woman" for my book club. "Also, "Calling Me Home", "City of Bones", and a whole pile of gardening books. :)
  • jennyk3298
    Options
    Room, by Emma Donoghue.

It's written from the perspective of a 5 year old. It takes about 100 pages to get sucked into the book (I really was lost and didn't understand everything, and then it all came together). But it was recommended by a friend. So, if you could get past the style of writing, and the fact that you might have to reread the first 100 pages because you were too ADD to pay attention, I would recommend.

Last book I read was Sarah's Key. About a girl who escapes the concentration camp and is worried because she locked her brother in a secret room when the Nazis came for her family. It starts out in present day and jumps back and forth between the past. GOOD read.

I couldn't get past the writing style in "Room" either. I never finished it. I'm a librarian and most of my patrons who read it loved it so, I may have to give it another try someday. :)
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared".

I'm having SO MUCH FUN reading this. I you loved Forrest Gump, you might want to check this one out.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo - a pretty good cop book, part 3 of the Harry Hole Oslo Trilogy (Redbreast and Nemisis are the first two) The spacing on my e-reader was a little weird, but the 3 books were pretty good. The author was a suggestion of who to read after Steig Larson (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)

I also finished re-reading the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and the follow up "and another thing" by Eion Colfer. Not the same as Douglas Adams, A different style, and not really the same humour that existed in the first couple of books, but not bad

And Before I Go To Sleep was really good about a woman who can't form new memories. I finished that in 2 days lol

I am now reading The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen (a Rizzoli and Isles book - love them!) and looking for a new one to start on my e-reader.
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am now reading The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen (a Rizzoli and Isles book - love them!) and looking for a new one to start on my e-reader.

Here's some ideas based on what you mentioned you've read:
    Christopher Moore - "Lamb", and "A Dirtly Job" because you liked Douglas Adams. Smart, irreverent, laugh out loud humor.
    Patricia Cornwell - "Postmortem". The first novel featuring medical examiner Kay Scarpetta.
    Michael Connelly - "The Black Echo". The first novel featuring flawed detective Harry Bosch.
    Robert Crais - "Monkey's Raincoat". The first novel featuring wise-cracking private investigator Elvis Cole and his somewhat disturbed but highly effective partner Joe Pike (ya gotta luv Joe!).

I've enjoyed them all!
  • beccahel
    beccahel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just started The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Too early to tell yet.
  • tkdviolin231
    Options
    I am currently reading "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. So good!! :)
  • casserroll
    casserroll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just finished A Storm of Swords last night and started in on A Feast for Crows (books 3 and 4 in the Game of Thrones series). It took me a really long time to get into and finish book 1 but I was determined to read this series lol Book 3 was the best book in the series so far I think, but overall I would recommend reading them.
    I loved the first and second books, but by the third I couldn't handle it anymore. Does Martin really have to kill off all the good characters?

Oh but he doesn't, I promise! You will regret not reading them all!!
  • casserroll
    casserroll Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lady of the rivers, by Philippa Gregory. So far so good. I must say I enjoyed her Tudor series more than any of her others, though.
  • katiekiernan9322
    Options
    I am currently reading "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. So good!! :)

Thats my favorite book of all time! Its such a wonderful love story.

Right now I'm in the middle of reading "Perfume The Story of a Murderer" by Patrick Suskind Ive had to take a break because of finals and whatnot but its good so far :)
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wool was sooooo much better then I thought it was going to be. So now I've started First Shift-Legacy which is the prequal to Wool. It's a little harder to get into then Wool but I really need to know the "why' of Wool at this point.
  • SarahDavs
    SarahDavs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Just finished Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan it was excellent! Currently listening to The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz on audiobook.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options

Here's some ideas based on what you mentioned you've read:
    Christopher Moore - "Lamb", and "A Dirtly Job" because you liked Douglas Adams. Smart, irreverent, laugh out loud humor.
    Patricia Cornwell - "Postmortem". The first novel featuring medical examiner Kay Scarpetta.
    Michael Connelly - "The Black Echo". The first novel featuring flawed detective Harry Bosch.
    Robert Crais - "Monkey's Raincoat". The first novel featuring wise-cracking private investigator Elvis Cole and his somewhat disturbed but highly effective partner Joe Pike (ya gotta luv Joe!).

I've enjoyed them all!

Thanks for the suggestions, my real problem is I have so many I want to read I don't know where to start. You have just added to that list! :laugh:
  • Strangelyinsane
    Strangelyinsane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Too many books. Yes, that is the problem and having an eReader seems to exacerbate it. By the time I've finished reading one book I've forgotten what I was going to read next and my eReader has hundreds of unread books just waiting for the attention they deserve. Where to start?

Currently reading: Kraken by China Mieville & Healing the Shame That Binds You by John Bradshaw
    Currently listening: Perdido Station by China Mieville (already read it but listen to audio while driving, riding, walking)

btw, Kraken is ok but not up to the level of Perdido Station which is exceptionally well crafted. Some writers are able to use words in unorthodox ways to create vivid descriptions and meanings. Mieville is one.
  • demonid
    demonid Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I second (third? - not sure how many people have aggreed with it yet, whatever) reading Christopher Moore's 'A Dirty Job.' It is a fantastic book. I wasn't a fan of the final bit of the book, but the rest of it was fantastic - i've never read a book that made me laugh out loud that much. i try to pawn that book off on pretty much everyone i know.
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Just started Steven King's Under the Dome. It really made the time on the stationary bike go by!
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just started Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight.
  • LDC1969
    LDC1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just finished "The Witch's Daughter" by Paula Brackston and started "Catherine the Great: Protrait of a Woman" by Robert K. Massie
  • viktorijandz
    viktorijandz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    'My Sister's Keeper' by Jodi Picoult.
  • mandyhuot7
    mandyhuot7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My current reading list:
    The Hard Way (Lee Child)
    Cream Puff Murder (Joanne Fluke)
    Shooting Star (Cynthia Riggs)
    The Main Corpse (Diane Mott Davidson)
    A Skating Life: My Story (Dorothy Hamill)
    Blue Corn Murder (Nancy Pickard)
    Gatekeeper (Archor Mayor)