Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You all are doing so awesome. It is going to be long winter...but it's not going to suck as much as running in the heat.

I finished my 5k in 33:43 (clock time). My strategy was to push hard when I could see the finish line. At that point it doesn't matter if I get a little wheezy. However, I'd managed my air and energy through the race pretty well, so even though I got my butt handed to me by any number of 9 year olds, that's all I had, or so I thought. When I realized that I'd need to kick it up a notch to bring it in under 34, I dug down, raised my knees and fought against the urge to quit shared by every fiber of my body. Long story short, I could have kicked it up a notch from the time I saw the finish line and won't make that mistake again.

The beginning was really annoying. Very compact and didn't spread out at all in the first mile. I had to run on the sidewalk (even though that's a faux pas) to find a place in the crowd that worked for me. Granted most of them passed me again in the last mile, but it was hard to run my best race for the first mile. There were actually 11,000 participants, so they had separate start times for the 10k, timed 5k, 5k fun run/walk and they'd added a 1k for kids as well as the tot trot. I'd probably abandon the race but it's my "home" one.

Oh well, I'm happy with my time. Anything under 33 would have been beyond belief given the challenges I've had with a faster pace.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    http://mobileresults.active.com/events/mdj-must-gobble-jog--4/5k-searchable-results/varda-lobanov

I'm no longer happy with my time. If I'd pushed sooner I'd have beat 33 minutes. Blah.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    http://mobileresults.active.com/events/mdj-must-gobble-jog--4/5k-searchable-results/varda-lobanov

I'm no longer happy with my time. If I'd pushed sooner I'd have beat 33 minutes. Blah.

Or you've have pushed earlier and wouldn't have had the reserves for that last push at the end because of it. You should be happy with your time!

You don't have to be happy with a field of 11,000. That's just insane. That's slightly larger than the population of the city I live in.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

Your time was great and you should be proud. As Laura said you might not have had energy left for the end if you went out too fast. Those large races are hard to get going at the start and always slow me down. If you do the Peachtree next year you'll really see what a crowd does to your race start.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Seems like a lot of drama for a shoe..lol. Honestly, i have ran in 3 different shoes, the nike free have been good for speed work and short runs after about 4 miles the bottom of my feet feels like it's getting an indian burn. The adidas crazy fast have been solid on longer runs, its a stiff shoe, but real light. I tried running in some pumas but they felt like i was running in combat boots. But no pain in legs or other parts with any shoe that I have worn. Running store involves driving about 2 hours to get to one, and getting time enough to make the trip ( hard to do with 4 teenagers who are active in school sports as well as 2 of them in elite leagues from time to time)

Finish Line has brooks ghost 6 for 69.00, so I think tomorrow, I'll go to academy and try both of them on and maybe make a decision. I don't know anything about my gait, but I assume i'm a neutral runner.

Well, if the shoes you have been wearing haven't been causing any pain then that's a good thing. Adidas makes some great shoes - I tried on the energy boost shoes last week and loved them. They are stiffer and more responsive, but super light. My wife bought a pair and ran the half marathon two days later in them. She had been running in the Ghost 6 but after 250 miles they were causing some shin pain. Next year I will probably switch to Adidas - the energy boost for long runs and either the Adizero, Haigo or Adios for shorter tempo runs & speedwork.

The Ghost 6 is a great shoe. I started running in the Ghost 5. I tried on the Ghost 6 recently and they felt amazing but the running store noticed my gait had changed and I needed a little support. Been running in the Brooks Ravenna 4 and love it.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I haven't check in at all this past week. I did 4 miles on both Tuesday and Thursday and then 6.5 miles yesterday. I got a cold that set in on Friday, but since it's all from the neck up, I pushed ahead with my run anyhow. My left knee started hurting some during my run so I took a few walking breaks. I also picked a foam roller this morning, gonna figure that out today.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Laura, congratulations on your 8 mile run. That is wonderful!

November was a complete wash for me, running wise. With work and life, I didn't run as much as I usually do or that I wanted to. I only ran 54Km in the entire month.
    The good news, though, is that I didn't stop running and still look forward to it. Sometimes life will just slow things down but as long as I continue to run, I'm happy.
    My hope for December is to continue to run as often as possible.

Everyone is doing so great. I'm really thrilled when I check this thread and see the progress and determination happening.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I haven't check in at all this past week. I did 4 miles on both Tuesday and Thursday and then 6.5 miles yesterday. I got a cold that set in on Friday, but since it's all from the neck up, I pushed ahead with my run anyhow. My left knee started hurting some during my run so I took a few walking breaks. I also picked a foam roller this morning, gonna figure that out today.

Be warned. Foam rollers hurt the first time, but become addictive.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Your time was great and you should be proud. As Laura said you might not have had energy left for the end if you went out too fast. Those large races are hard to get going at the start and always slow me down. If you do the Peachtree next year you'll really see what a crowd does to your race start.

If I do the Peachtree it will be strictly for bragging rights. :)
  • likitisplit
    Options

Or you've have pushed earlier and wouldn't have had the reserves for that last push at the end because of it. You should be happy with your time!

You don't have to be happy with a field of 11,000. That's just insane. That's slightly larger than the population of the city I live in.

There was only 1000 in the timed 5k, and I was a touch better than average. Which was nice because average didn't include many walkers. I'm pretty happy with the race today. Could-haves are the bane of running. I did what I could do on that day.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Laura, congratulations on your 8 mile run. That is wonderful!

November was a complete wash for me, running wise. With work and life, I didn't run as much as I usually do or that I wanted to. I only ran 54Km in the entire month.
    The good news, though, is that I didn't stop running and still look forward to it. Sometimes life will just slow things down but as long as I continue to run, I'm happy.
    My hope for December is to continue to run as often as possible.

Everyone is doing so great. I'm really thrilled when I check this thread and see the progress and determination happening.

You're still running and that's the important thing.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Tim, that was an amazing time for your HM ... I'd probably still have another 5 to go at that time lol

Well done on your 5k, Varda - I'd be overwhelmed at the thought of running with 11000 other people even if they were all running different races!

Laura, 8miles!! That's fantastic :)

I've been a lard *kitten* - a half-hearted attempt to run on a treadmill today ended prematurely at 3miles when boredom set in .... Tomorrow I'm going to try again but with headphones ..... roll on Wednesday when I'll hopefully have my eye patch removed for good and get back out into the freezing cold and rain ... I must be mad lol
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Way to go Laura!! I did 7.2 today,, so happy ;)
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Yep, it hurt pretty good on the left leg. The right leg didn't hurt. I can definitely see how this needs to be a regular deal. I didn't even realize I had knots in my left leg. It hurt while I was doing it but feels better when I finished.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    2 miles this morning...pull back week, culminating in a 5k this Saturday. Temps will be 10 degrees F for the run, with the possibility of ice and snow on thursday and friday.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    2 miles this morning...pull back week, culminating in a 5k this Saturday. Temps will be 10 degrees F for the run, with the possibility of ice and snow on thursday and friday.

That's cold!! Our Thanksgiving race was the coldest temps I have ever experienced when running at 23°F (and the coldest Thanksgiving here in over 100 years). My face hurt the first couple of miles. I would need a ski mask at 10 degrees! Stay warm out there. It will be near 70°F here by the end of the week - too bad I am taking the week off from running and can't get out to enjoy it.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Yup, going full face gear friday..temps are upper 60s today...just crazy
  • likitisplit
    Options

Yep, it hurt pretty good on the left leg. The right leg didn't hurt. I can definitely see how this needs to be a regular deal. I didn't even realize I had knots in my left leg. It hurt while I was doing it but feels better when I finished.

Once you get that left leg worked out, it'll be more maintenance where you'll have a sore spot or two, but be pretty tolerable overall.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Great job on your race, Tim and I love your recovery plan!

I'm also impressed by all the mileage this group is stacking up. I'm supposed to get out for an hour and a half tomorrow and nothing is going to stand in my way!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Great runs everyone! Took me a little while to get caught up on the updates!

The only running I have done since my 10k was a quick 30 minute run on Saturday morning.

11-30-2013_zps33d75dc9.jpg
    Edit: I actually kept running into the cool down to make it 3 miles. (I got a new phone and remembered to download the needed apps, but forgot to reset the preferences!)

I did get in over 60 miles on the bicycle since Thursday!

I brought my running gear to work with me and will try to get a run in this afternoon.