Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I just registered for the Savannah Rock 'n Roll Marathon in November 2014! Today it was $20 off the normal price. I have plenty of time to train but I need to get back to running soon. Based on how my leg feels today I think I should be good to go for a long slow run this weekend.

Go for it, Tim! Certainly something to look forward to next year though I think it would take more than a £20 discount to get me to sign up for a marathon so I'll just cheer you on instead :bigsmile:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Sup everyone. Just checking in to see what everyone is up to. I registered for my next half marathon, which will be in March. Did a 3.5 mile run last night with the running group, but kind of went off on my own because I brought Buster with me. The running group I go with tends to head out on roads with bike lanes, but I needed to make sure his harness was properly reflective and stuff before going that way. And it does, so next week might just take him the way we normally go.

I got my new stride box last night. Came with some shoe laces that are extremely reflective, but I don't need them so gave them to one of the ladies at my running group. The box came with a fuel bar called Perfect Fuel. Here is what it looks like:
    Slide2_13.png
    It is good, basically really dark chocolate. So if you aren't a dark chocolate fan, then you will not like this. It isn't something I would use during a run though. Good for before and after. Here are the stats on it:
    Calories: 80
    Fat: 6g
    Chol: 0mg
    Sodium: 0mg
    Carbs: 5mg
    Fiber: 1g
    Sugar: 3g
    Protein: 1g
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I need to bring all my Stridebox snack in to work and use them during my 3pm hungries.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my StrideBox. I got two and wasn't blown away by either of them. Decided I'd rather take the $15 and go pick out a variety of new things myself. Having said that, the Perfect Fuel looks awesome. :smile:

I ran 3 miles on the Treadmill last night. Varied my speed on the first mile, my incline on the second mile, and my speed again on the third mile. Breaking my run up into quarter mile segments definitely helps break the monotony.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Well, Becky and I will give you tips on what to try. :)

Because I suck on the treadmill, I just bought two more pairs of tights:

https://www.adidas.com/us/product/womens-training-techfit-climawarm-tights/AC765?cid=G75942 ($50)

and

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens-ua-fly-by-leggings/pid1246098 ($54.99)

Both have drawstrings and free shipping.

I also want to get this: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens-ua-cozy-neck/pid1239148-813
    and wear it to work. Edit: Santa just got it for me for Christmas.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    The tights look great - and I was checking that same shirt out in the store. Santa is being good to you this year!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I got my first stride box a few days ago. After getting a bag of stuff from the running store on Black Friday, I decided to sign up for Stride Box. I'm looking forward to trying one of the bars today. I have one hour (5 to 6 pm) to drive home from work (~20 minutes), let the dogs outside and then feed them, switch into my bathing suit and throw a hoodie and sweatpants on top, then grab a towel and get to the swim center (~10 minutes), remove hoodie and sweatpants and put those, shoes, and towel into locker, wet my hair in the shower, and get into the pool. Eating just doesn't fit well into this, so I try to grab a bar when putting the dogs out and eat it while changing my clothes. It'll be 8 pm by the time my swimming is over, so I need to eat something. The running store's "bag of stuff" was terrific for this.

I'm not sure what to do with the stuff to put into water and drink. I generally don't like to put stuff in my water, I've never liked the taste of any powder that you have to add to water of any sort so far (kool aid, powdered lemonade, crystal light, pretty much anything), so will be reluctant to even try it.

Love the bars, chews, etc.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    If/when you try the stuff to dilute in water my recommendation is to use way more water than they suggest. If it says 8 oz I usually mix it in at least 20.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Go yamster!!!' And great job btth... I wish you we'll with your procedures....

Tim, I will be doing the half next year - we will have to all get together and hang out in my town!!!! ;)

This morning I went for a run with my new running neighbor who moved in across the road... I met her at my first 5k in oct,. Second time I've run next to someone and it was great, she pushed me, I pushed her. Had some great mile times, and she's run a few marathons or at least halfs, so she'll be a great training partner!!! I'm excited, and it got me out f bed when it was 40 degrees, so that's a good thing!!!'
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Tim, I will be doing the half next year - we will have to all get together and hang out in my town!!!! ;)

Cool - I'm already looking forward to that race. Quite a shock looking for a hotel though. They really jack up the rates! Ended up booking the Holiday Inn Express which is just a block or so away from the start. Everything else was booked solid that weekend.
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You'll just be passed out sleeping there, so it doesn't matter really where you are... Yes, they love to raise the rates for sure around any event... ;)
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Well, Becky and I will give you tips on what to try. :)

Because I suck on the treadmill, I just bought two more pairs of tights:

https://www.adidas.com/us/product/womens-training-techfit-climawarm-tights/AC765?cid=G75942 ($50)

and

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens-ua-fly-by-leggings/pid1246098 ($54.99)

Both have drawstrings and free shipping.

I also want to get this: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/womens-ua-cozy-neck/pid1239148-813
    and wear it to work. Edit: Santa just got it for me for Christmas.

Ooooh. Likey! Likey! Want! Want! What color did you buy in the top? However did you decide?
    This morning I went for a run with my new running neighbor who moved in across the road... I met her at my first 5k in oct,. Second time I've run next to someone and it was great, she pushed me, I pushed her. Had some great mile times, and she's run a few marathons or at least halfs, so she'll be a great training partner!!! I'm excited, and it got me out f bed when it was 40 degrees, so that's a good thing!!!'

That's awesome! I wish I had a running partner right in my very own neighborhood. How convenient!

Tim, mad miss and rduhlir - Congrats on your commitments! I will be attempting my first half the first weekend in May. It seems a long way away, but it will be here before I know it! I can't wait!

Right now all running will have to wait. My leg hurts! No high impact (running included) allowed for 4 -7 days. By that time I will have had a procedure on the other leg, then the week after a second pass on the first leg, so I will be out of it until after New Year's. BIG TIME FROWNIE :-(!!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Go yamster!!!' And great job btth... I wish you we'll with your procedures....

I'm soooo envious. That is amazing!

And I got the dark blue because it's for not-running
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    The windchill was -7 F today with snow expected this weekend. I officially give up on winter running. Going to visit some gyms and hopefully join one soon and hit the treadmill until spring.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The windchill was -7 F today with snow expected this weekend. I officially give up on winter running. Going to visit some gyms and hopefully join one soon and hit the treadmill until spring.

Or stay fit other ways and be a seasonal runner. Though I'd have to say a treadmill sounds better than that.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Haven't run at all this week yet, my daughter has a sore, swollen ankle. Not sure what caused it, it has been sore for over a week but only began to swell up at the beginning of this week. We're going to go out for a run this weekend and she's going to come with us, if it's sore she will just turn back and go home.

Got my works Christmas party tomorrow in Aberdeen. I bought my dress in the middle of October and now it is one size to big for me! I haven't lost any weight since October and I haven't been doing much running/working out so I don't know where that has come from! I think I might have lost some LBM which is not a bad thing as I have very muscular legs and would like them to slim down a bit.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Right now all running will have to wait. My leg hurts! No high impact (running included) allowed for 4 -7 days. By that time I will have had a procedure on the other leg, then the week after a second pass on the first leg, so I will be out of it until after New Year's. BIG TIME FROWNIE :-(!!!!

Sorry to hear that!! I hope you recover quickly and can get back out there in the new year. Hopefully you can stay fit in other ways.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Romy exciting to have your dress a size too big already! This October I didn't lose any weight but I had an unusual number of people tell me that I suddenly looked smaller. I finally decided my body had just shifted.

My Achilles have been kind of sore the past couple weeks, but they bothered me quite a bit during the incline portions of my run on Wednesday night. They ached yesterday so I mentioned it to Jason last night at our session. He thinks it's the transition from outdoor running to treadmill running so he gave me an additional stretch to do and has me backing off on my TM running for now. Still running, but not as long on the TM, or if I have to do a longer run on the TM he wants me to break it up (run a mile, bike 20 minutes, run a mile, do 10 minutes of core work, run a mile, walk for an interval, etc). If I can get outside to run tomorrow (supposed to get up to 11 or 12 degrees which is totally doable) I'll do 5-6 miles, or if it's TM only 3-4 and will break that up.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    Laura - my therapist mentioned something about treadmills a while back. She said the belt pulls your leg back farther than you naturally would when running outdoors. For me this was a big no-no with my past hip issues but I can imagine it might overstretch your calves as your foot comes back, thus stressing the Achilles tendon. The incline was probably a factor too. Breaking it up is great and doing some bike is very good for your leg strength. 11 or 12 degrees?? I would probably go out in that but I'd cover every inch of exposed skin except my eyes. Heck, I would dig out my ski goggles and go out!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Finally got my truck dug out of the ice yesterday and new tires, so I made it to the gym!

I warmed up with a 20 minute walk/ run on the track, then hit the bikes for a good 45 minutes or so. It was great to be moving again!

This was my first workout at this gym and I think I'm going to love it. Since it is for "seniors", I'm the youngest person there. There's a good variety of equipment, two pools, a gym, lots of classrooms, and an indoor track (I need a clicker to keep up with laps- 14 laps = 1 mile.) I will be going after work most days and I think it won't be too crowded then. (YAY!)