Doctor Who

Options

Replies

• spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some sort of velvet jacket--I could actually pull off a nice 8th doctor if I had just a couple more things. Sadly I am regalia-free and must dress like a regular person. How do I not have a DW t-shirt yet???
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have one, but it's too cold to wear it, lol. Can't really wear it over a sweater.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Massive turnout at our theater! I didn't even realize they were having a second showing, but from the line we saw as we were leaving they were about to get a second packed house.

I sigh a little at Moffat but it was a good time and so nice to see David Tennant and Billie Piper, as well as the always awesome John Hurt. 10 and 11 are fun together (or can we call them that now?).

Much appreciated at the end of a truly rotten day at work.

I honestly thought I'd see more than just two seconds of Peter Capaldi's wiry Scottish eyebrows though!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    Options
    10 and 11 are fun together (or can we call them that now?).
    I know! Aren't they 11 & 12 now? Don't they all need to be renumbered?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Our theater was packed as well, and they ended up adding a second showing. So fun to see all the people in line and then in our theater - lots of cosplay! Many Elevens, a few Tens, a couple of River Songs, one Clara, Tardis and Dalek dresses and hats, one Doctor's daughter Jenny (that was my kid!) and loads of sonic screwdrivers! Before it started as the theater was filling up, one person held their sonic up and was instantly joined by about 50 more! Everyone else cheered!

We also had a couple of Fourth Doctors come in, one them going up and down the aisle offering jelly babies! :bigsmile:

I had a great time - what a fun friendly crowd. I got many compliments on my "Minions Have the Phone Box" tee - thought about trying to pull a costume together but didn't have time, so just wore my Tardis socks and the tee. Didn't see another one like it, but had a few others say they have the same one.

Loved seeing Ten and Eleven together - that was great fun.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Husband ran out to see the 10pm show when I came back lol. It was packed, half the people were in costume... Awesome.

Ok I assume spoilers are safe now. There's something that doesn't make sense. In The End of Time, Tenant knew that the Time Lord were stuck in a time bubble.. He wasn't surprised when he saw Gallifrey come back (if I remember correctly?). How could he have known? And he's quite happy to send them back there too. Then suddenly John Hurt shows up and the Doctor remembers killing them all... then he saves them and wants to go home? Why now?

Can someone explain that to me? I'm very confused.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    We had several fezzes, some tens and elevens (and lots of guys who didn't go all out but did wear old suits or jackets and ties), a few scarves, a few TARDIS dresses, and one really tall guy wearing a Cyberman helmet (regular clothes) with straps on the back that made it look very difficult to remove once you're in it. His buddy made him get his own popcorn and drinks, I guess because it was going to be awkward for both him and the cashiers and potentially amusing for everyone else :) the helmet was very realistic and impressive, wish I'd gotten a picture.

I loved the Sontaran theater etiquette guide. My husband had a good time even though he knows very very little about Doctor Who. We go to that same theater for the Rifftrax!Live events, and those are well attended with the occasional costume and lots of cool shirts, but this turnout was completely nuts compared to those.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Husband ran out to see the 10pm show when I came back lol. It was packed, half the people were in costume... Awesome.

Ok I assume spoilers are safe now. There's something that doesn't make sense. In The End of Time, Tenant knew that the Time Lord were stuck in a time bubble.. He wasn't surprised when he saw Gallifrey come back (if I remember correctly?). How could he have known? And he's quite happy to send them back there too. Then suddenly John Hurt shows up and the Doctor remembers killing them all... then he saves them and wants to go home? Why now?

Can someone explain that to me? I'm very confused.

I was trying to remember how that went and it was bugging me, you recall it in better detail than I. The Undoing that happens in this one dismays me a bit. It's not like I want Gallifrey to burn or anything, but the darkness our recent doctors have stuffed down of blocked out has sort of defined them for me (and given them an edge I appreciated). Then again 11 said something about Hurt's doctor not being able to remember that he changed his decision later... ? But the cat's out of the bag now, for us at least. This makes me wonder more about how Capaldi is going to play it because I was banking on his masterful ability to convey that pain and internal conflict and complexity.

My gears are smaller so I'm still grinding on whether Hurt was turning into Eccleston or Capaldi at the end.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yes he won't remember until now. That's what makes no sense... as he knew they were time locked in the End of Time.

And it's definitely Eccleston he turns into. If you haven't seen The Night of the Doctor, you see 8 turn into Hurt.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Ok on the Time Lords not burning and time bubble and stuff.

1- The Time Lords trying to come back didn't make sense to me at the time if they had burned.
    2- The Doctor always says that Gallifrey and the Daleks were trapped in the time war in a time lock.
    3- Also if everything burned, how did the Daleks get out at all, I mean just cause the crazy Dalek went into the time lock, if they all burned how did they get out exactly? (End of Days)

So no matter how you look at it, it never all really adds up to make sense. However, that is kind of the beauty of Science Fiction it doesn't really have to add up.

Please also remember that Tenant's Doctor had said to the Master, you don't know what they turned into or what they were going to do. But even early in the Doctor's history he fought often with the Time Lords and the things they wanted to do.

Why does he want to find them now? Well he is 1400 years old? He forgot how rotten they were, I mean as you get older and move further away from things the memory distorts it. In the past many times the Doctor didn't want to go anywhere near Gallifrey (as 3 he was exiled, he was framed for crimes he didn't commit as 4 and 5 too I think? as 10 he tried to keep them from destroying the earth), but now as 11, he is a couple hundred years older, he is feeling a bit nostalgic and lonely.

I am not huge on trying to figure all this stuff out, but after being around for 50 years, you gotta figure the rules are going to keep changing.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Yeah I know, it's just a lot of contradictions in just 3 years, lol. I mean he's so excited to find out that the plan worked, but he should have known that from the End of Time... Just a bit disappointing for me I guess.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    And it's definitely Eccleston he turns into. If you haven't seen The Night of the Doctor, you see 8 turn into Hurt.

Yes, I watched it this weekend after hearing someone mention it on the pre-show. I thought that was right, but was confused because I avoided reading anything about future show information so as to be completely surprised going forward, and thought that Smith would be regenerating into Capaldi during this show. Ah well.

Someone shared this with me today:

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2013/11/8_reasons_the_day_of_the_doctor_made_steven_moffat.php
  • Francl27
    Options
    That link doesn't explain the last Tenant episode though :(
  • spud_chick
    Options
    No, sorry. I just passed it on because someone gave it to me to see if it made me feel any better about Moffat sort of declawing the Doctor (imo). I still don't agree with the last bit but she makes good points.

One of the reasons I preferred RTD was that his DW stories were tighter and had more referential integrity than Moffat's. I've given up on details making sense with Moffat.

*not that I don't still enjoy watching Doctor Who*, mind you.
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I made this, simple but I love it. I will miss my Doctor.
    KBatCUZ.jpg?3
  • Francl27
    Options
    I liked the episode but it was a bit of a let down. At least they explained some stuff... but he seemed surprised to hear that Galiffrey was stuck in another universe, when he knew he stuck them there? (and now they're not time locked anymore, but in another universe... whatever).
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    It seems like most posters saw the most recent episode, but not the second most recent episode.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    It seems like most posters saw the most recent episode, but not the second most recent episode.

If you are referring to the expressions of confusion about the status of Gallifrey and the Doctor's supposed memories thereof, it's not necessarily because they missed an episode. I saw The Day of the Doctor and The Time of the Doctor, and still can't make sense of what Moffat is doing with all that (or why). Nevertheless, I enjoyed both episodes and was glad that Matt Smith finally grew on me enough to make the parting bittersweet. I didn't cry like I did when DT left, but it was all good.

"Number Ten once regenerated and kept the same face... I had vanity issues at the time." hehheheh
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Now I'm sure most of you are big Doctor Who people, or at least one way or another.

I'm just curious to meet some other Whovians, seeing as I'm relatively new to the Who crowd. Started watching after gaining curiosity from the millions of Pinterest pins. Needless to say I tore through the entire new series, some of the old, and am completely hooked and crazy in love. Ten is my favorite, but I love them all!

I grew up with Tom Baker re-runs on PBS as a VERY young child and then came back to it with Matt Smith as The Doctor. No Doctor compares to Tom Baker but David Tennant definitely is my fave NuWho Doctor. A whole thread devoted to DW...I might go into full fanboy mode...You've been warned lol
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I liked the episode but it was a bit of a let down. At least they explained some stuff... but he seemed surprised to hear that Galiffrey was stuck in another universe, when he knew he stuck them there? (and now they're not time locked anymore, but in another universe... whatever).

I'm guessing when The Doctor tried to put Gallifrey into the painting, it didn't go directly as planned and ended up being in a different dimension instead.

The regeneration of Matt Smith was a bit off imo. I blame that all on throwing Amy Pond in there. She didn't need to be a part of the episode. They just turned it back into the Amy Pond show at the end and really annoyed me. It just made Clara look completely weak and unimportant. Peter Capaldi is going to be a fantastic Doctor though! I can't wait!