JANUARY CHALLENGE GROUP

Options

Replies

• timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    induction sure has a way of making you feel great , and then the double whammy of making you feel great on the scale!
  • Helenabc
    Helenabc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Checking in for the week I have lost another pound this week down to 162 pounds a loss of 6 pounds in January .... and still a few more days to go. Wishing everyone the best for the last few days!!!!! Helen :flowerforyou:
  • Tigredia
    Tigredia Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a low carb (50), low calorie (1500) since January 11. I have had little success in weight lose, 3 pounds. After reading the comments tonight, I 'm starting the Induction tomorrow.

I need all the help I can get. I would love some friends to help me.:blushing:
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a low carb (50), low calorie (1500) since January 11. I have had little success in weight lose, 3 pounds. After reading the comments tonight, I 'm starting the Induction tomorrow.

I need all the help I can get. I would love some friends to help me.:blushing:

I find that reading books helps keep me motivated and 'tweaks' my eating habits as well. There are hidden carbs where you'd never expect them. Re-read Atkin's book, and another good one is 'Why we Get Fat by Taubs...there are many more old and new books on the same idea of low carb..It's coming back into favour after getting a bad rap for quite a few years......there are a few reasons that you may not be losing and they are addressed in these books i.e.. medications or metabolic resistance ...These issues can be overcome. You may be able to figure out what is holding you back.

I'm finding that for myself, I'm going to stop eating the Atkins products (bars, and drinks) as they kind of go against everything that the experts are saying about sugar and insulin...Even Atkins has to make a buck I guess The scale hasn't moved much recently, but I'm always in ketosis which means I'm still burning fat. This takes time and I guess as long as the scale is moving downward, it's a good thing.

I ordered a small 'brochure' type low carb diet book from Dr. Westman. He's based his plan on Atkins (20 gr. carbs a day) and on scientific studies that have happened since ATkin"s book. In fact, at one point he worked with Atkins. Anyway, It only cost around $6. and I ordered it from Amazon. It's called "A Low Carb Ketogenic Diet Manual -No Sugar No Starch diet" by Dr. Eric C. Westman. It's only 25 pages long and I believe he gives it out at his clinic at Duke University This little book may be helpful to you.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Personal January Challenge Goal: -6#

Weigh-In Report

01.01.2014 - begin
    01.05.2014 - down 1.6#
    01.19.2014 - down 1.8#
    01.26.2014 - down 1.0#

Down 4.4#

Achievement To Goal: 73.3% Complete
    Time Lapse 31-Day January Challenge: 83.8% Complete

<potential is there for January Goal success, but things could go either way at this point>

=^x^=
  • tunesntea
    Options
    What a mess up!
    For the past few weeks i've exercised even though I didn't have to, forgone cheese, even though I didn't have to just to ensure weight loss which worked. The first weeks are great, aren't they?

I have a slight injury that kept me from exercising 2 days last week and I ate cheese this past weekend. This probably wasn't a really bad thing but I did buy some red wine. I know. I figured it has about 3 carbs per small glass. Well, I bought mascotto which has 11 carbs per glass! I had already opened it so I had 1 small glass 2 nights. That's all it took to knock me out of ketosis. I gained 1.8 pounds over the weekend.

I did what I could with exercise today and will not eat anymore cheese or wine this week for our challenge. It's terrible that even when I go out of induction that I can't have more than 30 carbs before I'm out of ketosis!

A few more days left. I'm not giving up.

Disappointed but I know if I do what I'm supposed to do eventually it will come off so that's all I can do..
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    What a mess up!
    For the past few weeks i've exercised even though I didn't have to, forgone cheese, even though I didn't have to just to ensure weight loss which worked. The first weeks are great, aren't they?

I have a slight injury that kept me from exercising 2 days last week and I ate cheese this past weekend. This probably wasn't a really bad thing but I did buy some red wine. I know. I figured it has about 3 carbs per small glass. Well, I bought mascotto which has 11 carbs per glass! I had already opened it so I had 1 small glass 2 nights. That's all it took to knock me out of ketosis. I gained 1.8 pounds over the weekend.

I did what I could with exercise today and will not eat anymore cheese or wine this week for our challenge. It's terrible that even when I go out of induction that I can't have more than 30 carbs before I'm out of ketosis!

A few more days left. I'm not giving up.

Disappointed but I know if I do what I'm supposed to do eventually it will come off so that's all I can do..

hang in there...you may not have done as much damage to your diet as you think...it should take about 3 days to get back into ketosis if you really are out of it. Also, I recently read that even though the strips may not show that you are in ketosis, you could still be burning fat. ie. Taubs book. And, if you are doing a low-carb diet, you should be able to eat 3 to 4 ounces of cheese a day. Just make sure it's real cheese and not processed. I think the wine is the thing that probably made you lose ground as it sounds sweet.(I have to admit though that I know nothing about wine), but since the veggies you eat on a low-carb diet aren't supposed to be over 5 or 6 grams of carbs per serving and your wine was 11 carbs, it seems to be the culprit. I hope I'm not rambling on, but I think we all make mistakes and for me this type of eating is a learning curve. Don't beat yourself up about it...you're already aware of the problem, you'll figure it out and succeed.
  • tunesntea
    Options
    Thanks for replying, it's appreciated.

Maybe I'm barely out and can get back in quickly-lol!
  • LuluNH
    LuluNH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Tunesntea - I find the first weeks are always a challenge!! Before you know it eating low carb becomes second nature!! Be kind to yourself - you are trying to incorporate a way of eating that has to last a lifetime - so I don't expect wine to be off your menu permanently!! but expect a blip up when you have it....for me it just has to be a sometime choice and I know I will see it on the scale.

Holding at 172 but hoping to see a lower number by the end of the week...hoping!!
  • chownot
    chownot Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For those of you that have been on Atkins for a while, does weight loss slow to an average of 1-2 lb weight loss/week? I did great on induction and now week 3/4 I've only lost a pound?
  • Pennben
    Pennben Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Chownot,

I started at the beginning of December, did great the first two weeks, then 0 the third, then back up to 3 the next week. It has been varied since, from 1.2 this past week to a high of 4, but it seems to be averaging for the month around 2.5-3.0. Definitely slowed from the first two, but still consistently down. I'm still doing induction, but have added back almonds and 90% dark chocolate squares as snacks.

I still have a big chunk to lose and expect a bigger slow down as I get closer and will probably look back wistfully to these days when I'm losing 2ish a week.

I think its normal.
  • tunesntea
    Options
    I hope sugar free jello doesn't stall me.
    I've been comfort eating with it and cool whip because of my mess up! It's the first time I realized I was comfort eating but it's okay, only 1 cup total and about 5tbs cool whip.

I've switched my creamer to heavy whipping cream to save a few carbs from my normal flavored creamer. I haven't exercised today because I'm pouting. I'm amazed how honest I'm being about my behaviors but I know exercising is iffy at this stage anyway.

Normally, I'm under or close with calories and I'm not going to worry too much about that as long as I'm not way over and see how things work with my body.

Still trying, just changing things up a bit without cheating to get my frustrations out, it would be nice to lose a few pounds during this process!
  • tunesntea
    Options
    Chownot,

I started at the beginning of December, did great the first two weeks, then 0 the third, then back up to 3 the next week. It has been varied since, from 1.2 this past week to a high of 4, but it seems to be averaging for the month around 2.5-3.0. Definitely slowed from the first two, but still consistently down. I'm still doing induction, but have added back almonds and 90% dark chocolate squares as snacks.

I still have a big chunk to lose and expect a bigger slow down as I get closer and will probably look back wistfully to these days when I'm losing 2ish a week.

I think its normal.

Thanks. I'm on week 3. It's nice to know there's hope with perseverance!
  • LuluNH
    LuluNH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Chownot: It was one year for me on Jan 7th and my average is 1 pound per week!! I am 48 years old and that matters.....I lost much faster when I was younger.
  • ox_MadisonBailey_xo
    Options
    Kind of late! Although I'd like to lose 1-2 lbs by january 31.. lots of water should do it! :)
    Good luck on your goals everyone!! :))
  • chownot
    chownot Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thanks LuLuNH,

I'm 43 and I understand. IWhen I was younger I just cut down from 6 cookies to 3 and lost weight, now I have to be essentially carb free. At least now I'll have perspective, I guess I was looking for more than 1 lb a week. However there is so much research backing the low carb/high fat lifestyle regarding overall health.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    To those of you who believe in low carb lifestyle (I can't say high fat because it really depends on the day), the more I read different books and opinions about it, the firmer my belief is in it. This seems to be the direction that all the new studies and tests that have come out in recent years are pointing to. It is the way to lower blood pressure, prevent or lessen diabetes, heart disease, asthma, high cholesterol , skin disorders, etc. Last night , I read a little book on the glycemic index by a French author who did a wonderful job of charting calorie intake and weight loss in various countries around the world. Calorie intake has nothing to do with obesity according to all these studies...in fact, we are eating a lot less calories than our grandparents did and getting fatter...it has to do with ...sugar, insulin which ends up stored in the fat cells as the body can't handle the large amounts it gets when you eat carbs.
    Now, I've been thin while eating carbs, but I was eating 'good' ones that didn't affect my body badly and spike the insulin level. Also, I was eating very few carbs (I lived in Japan), compared to a 'western' diet. They don't know what bread is over there! (exaggeration), but you get my point. Throw in the 'American' diet and it's a constant battle to stay thin. It shouldn't be that way.
    Also, something I've found very interesting is that low carb-Ketogenic diet is sometimes prescribed for epileptics. My son has epilepsy and the neurologist has never even mentioned it to him.! I went on-line looking for a doctor that could monitor me while on this diet and there isn't one here.....I can either just use my personal physician (who I have seen and seems onboard), or see a naturopath (who will be onboard for most of Atkins, but not all of it). ie. My naturopath doesn't want me to eat cheese.

These are just some thoughts as the more I read, the more I realize there is to know about low carb diets...in order to get healthy.
  • tunesntea
    Options
    I made my GOAL!!!

Okay, I'm early but I'm taking this today, just in case it's a fluctuation, I hit this number the first time since I started so I'm counting it. I weighed a little earlier than normal, too.

I've been stalling since a slight mess up over the weekend so when the scale said I was down 3.7 pounds since yesterday I was pretty happy!

Thanks for all the support!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    Tunestea, that is a really nice surprise, congratulations on reaching your goal!
  • tunesntea
    Options
    Thanks so much. I just replied in another thread-I'm TOO happy. I need to stop posting for a few days so I don't spam the Atkins boards! :)